Author Topic: Game crashing after CC install - linked to CAS?  (Read 5726 times)

Offline Tigerskin

• Occult
Game crashing after CC install - linked to CAS?
« on: June 16, 2013, 07:20:36 PM »
My games keeps crashing after about one sim day. This has only started happening after I installed a CC pack (Luxury Resort Attire).

I have done numerous things, like uninstalling the CC (and others) and seeing how it would run -still crashed. Eventually I realised that the game only appears to crash if I start a new game with 'new sims'. I have deleted my saved pre-made sims now. I tested it by using one of the pre-made sims in CAS - it still crashed but after after 3 sim days as opposed to the one.

There does not appear to be a problem with families already in game, I tested with John Burb's family in Dragon Valley and I've been able to play for around 2.5 sim weeks and no crashes as yet.

It's really frustrating as I love to make my own sims, but I can't seem to work out why it crashes, so I can't have them.

I have no mods but a lot of CC. My computer usually has no problems with running the game so doubt it's a problem with the computer itself.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline MoonsAreBlue

• Infatuated Fanatic
  • Watcher
Re: Game crashing after CC install - linked to CAS?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 10:20:58 PM »
Hi there Tigerskin.

Have you tried clearing your caches? Unfortunately, I can't really help you if the problem is related to third party CC, but if it's just store content, then clearing your caches may help. Go to your Sims 3 folder, and there should be a few files titled CASPartCache, compositorCache, scriptCache, and simCompositorCache. Delete these but make sure to leave the rest, including socialCache, untouched. Let me know if this helps or not.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Tigerskin

• Occult
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 02:39:18 AM »
Hi MoonsAreBlue,

Unfortunately I have already cleared the caches etc. I did download a pre-made sim months ago with no problems, but I did try uninstalling it yesterday when I couldn't figure out why my game was crashing.

I have noticed there is an option to run the game without custom content, I might see if that runs alright later. It just seems so strange that it's happening after I installed the Luxury Attire (and possibly the dragon valley festival lot - although that may have been a day or so before). But surely if I have deleted them, it should've gone back to normal?

Offline MoonsAreBlue

• Infatuated Fanatic
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 08:55:57 AM »
Ideally, it would go back to normal, but this is sims, which is a pretty finicky game. Try running without CC and see how it goes.

Offline Tigerskin

• Occult
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 06:21:05 PM »
I've done a bit more testing, there are no problems with pre-made families in game just with sims I make myself in CAH (even the sims already in the pre-made bin).

I'm a bit stumped to be honest.

Should I just uninstall everything and start again? I do like making my own sims - especially in anticipation of playing Isla Paradiso...

I even updated my driver, no use.

Offline Tigerskin

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 06:33:37 PM »
Oh probably should have said:

I tested with 'run without custom content' and it still crashed (created new family). Also I ran it with custom content but played an in game family - no crashes.

Offline MoonsAreBlue

• Infatuated Fanatic
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 10:05:32 PM »
Hmmm. Uninstall just the base game and see what happens. You don't have to uninstall every expansion. I'm not sure if this will work, but it's worth a try.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Tigerskin

• Occult
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 02:37:36 AM »
I got so fed up I did uninstall everything. Installed base game and it came up with a notification saying it was incompatible with the graphics card or display driver - was so late I can't remember. I did play it to test and it was fine though (however the size of the screen had changed noticeably).

I installed a few more expansions, one being Ambitions. Then tested, it crashed me straight out (once I was in game - after making a sim).

Currently I am patching the game (which has literally taken about 7 hrs).

However due to the message when I first started the base game, I am assuming that maybe the update of my driver has affected the game? I might have to roll back to a previous version possibly? Funny thing is I don't remember there being an update before this happened....

Will check what happens once the patch finally finishes but I'm not holding my breath.

Offline Tigerskin

• Occult
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 07:50:40 AM »
Hi moonsareblue,

I fixed my game! (Well you did...) I changed the paging list (maximum and recommend RAM allocated etc). Haven't had a crash in quite a few sim days.

Thanks so much :)

Offline MoonsAreBlue

• Infatuated Fanatic
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 09:21:18 AM »
Hi moonsareblue,

I fixed my game! (Well you did...) I changed the paging list (maximum and recommend RAM allocated etc). Haven't had a crash in quite a few sim days.

Thanks so much :)

Well, there you go! Glad it's working for you. I may make a topic about the paging list if I can learn more about it. It seems to have helped a few people.

Offline Tigerskin

• Occult
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 01:12:05 PM »
I'd tried everything I could think of and was ready to throw it out the window!

Turns out it was crashing after I had been in build mode. Didn't realise on the pre-made families cos I barely bought anything - when I start new sims though I always buy unfurnished to save money. Then buy quite a few things at once - it always crashed about 8 sim hours after.

I also have so much free space on my hard drive etc and all the specs to play the game, so I was so frustrated.

Now I can play Isla Paradiso with ease, so thanks again. I trawled everywhere to find a cure.

anything