Author Topic: One of my Sims is NO longer in its Family Tree!  (Read 16248 times)

javonne87

One of my Sims is NO longer in its Family Tree!
« on: March 31, 2012, 10:46:47 PM »
Hi Everyone!

So, for the past couple of days I have been having a number of problems with this game, smh. One of my Sims (Seline), who is now married, is one of two other children who are now married. I was able to switch back and forth and play the other two, but all of a sudden, when I tried to switch to Seline's household it would look like it was processing and then just stop and all I could see was a birdseye view of the town. Now, I finally solved that problem by making a copy of her family and moving them into a new home. Afterwards, I deleted the original family that I couldn't play. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that's may be the reason for the problem now.

So, today I wanted Seline to throw a party; only inviting her family and she HAD NO FAMILY! Lol. I switch to her parents household and they no longer have three children. Seline is no longer in their family tree. So, my question is....Is there anything I can do???

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: One of my Sims is NO longer in its Family Tree!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 10:52:41 PM »
Welcome to our Forum, javonne87.

First off, what is smh?  We don't use many abbreviations here because there could be a lot of people who don't know what they mean.

When you made the copy of the family and placed it in the town, you severed all ties with the rest of the family.  Basically, you deleted the original family from existence when you evicted them and never put them back.  The game doesn't recognize the copy as being the exact same family.  The only thing I can think of for you to do is go back to an earlier save, if you have one.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

javonne87

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 10:56:45 PM »
Wow, thanks Pam!  So my assumptions were right  :(  ...oh, 'smh' means 'shaking my head'...sorry, that's text messaging talk.

Offline Phoenix

• Nooboo
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 12:03:22 AM »
javonne87--I don't know what your stance on mods is---but you can easily repair Family Trees using Twallan's MasterController.  :)

*I read all the rules---it is okay to post about a mod if it is on subject and could be helpful, right?  Sorry---newbie here.  I don't want to step on any toes or get in trouble.*

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 12:13:49 AM »
javonne87--I don't know what your stance on mods is---but you can easily repair Family Trees using Twallan's MasterController.  :)

*I read all the rules---it is okay to post about a mod if it is on subject and could be helpful, right?  Sorry---newbie here.  I don't want to step on any toes or get in trouble.*

You're perfectly fine mentioning mods in this thread.  I don't personally use mods, so I'll never mention them as a possible solution.  I appreciate that you came by to do so.

And welcome to our Forum!

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

javonne87

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 02:27:41 AM »
What are mods and what do they do? What are the negatives about it?

Leto85

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 04:37:29 AM »

Ow you're in BIG trouble now! :O
Just kidding and welcome to the forum.
I had this exact same problem when I first started playing sims 3. I am curious how this mod will work. Probably like designing the family relationship between sims right after you've made a few in CAS: Create A Sim.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Phoenix

• Nooboo
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 03:48:05 PM »
  Okay, thanks!  Thank you for the welcome too! ;D

As to what mods are---I am terrible at definitions so I will borrow this definition from Twallan---

A mod is defined as being any package that contains scripting, either in the form of a Core-Mod, or as a Scripting Mod, that was not created by EA.
   [ Note that EA Premium content contains new scripting (hence why it is considered "premium")
        Strictly speaking, these are essentially mods created by EA, though for clarity purposes, no one bothers including them under this term.]

He has a bunch of terms defined on his site. :)

Basically they change your gameplay in some way---whether it fixes a bug, or adds new interactions in, or???  I played Vanilla (without mods) for years until the release of Late Night and I could not control the vampire/celebrity explosion.  It was game breaking for me. :(  I was spending all of my time curing vampires and I wasn't having fun anymore.  People on the main forum kept mentioning this Twallan guy and that his mod StoryProgression could keep them from spawning---since I wasn't going to play anymore the way it was---I took the plunge!

Anyway---back to topic! Sorry!  MasterController lets you do a lot of things.  It is a *passive* mod in that there is nothing automated in it, it is all user directed.  To repair the family links you actually will need MasterController the base mod and the Cheats Module.  When you install it it adds in a menu that you can access by clicking on the City Hall, any computer, even the Sim itself---a NRaas MasterController menu.  Then it's simply a matter of navigating to the Advanced/Family interaction and you can add/remove a sibling/parent/child to any sim in your town, using any sim in your town.   I hope that wasn't confusing!

As to the negative---it is possible to download a *bad* mod, which can cause havoc in your game, possibly even ruining your saved game.  The easiest way to avoid that, is to do lots of research and ask around.  People who use mods are quite vocal on the ones they like!  (See my post above!  lol)  Twallan is always a great choice! ;)  The only other thing you have to be careful about is your patch level, you have to use a mod that corresponds to your patch level, or they simply don't work right.

Sorry for the long post.  Hope that helped you out some. :)

Offline wednesday21

• Lurker
  • Occult
  • Joker is slightly amused.
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 04:47:22 PM »
In addition to what Phoenix said, you can get MasterController here and the cheats module here. Information about installing mods can be found here in this topic.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 10:35:10 PM »
What are mods and what do they do? What are the negatives about it?

As someone who doesn't use mods, I advise that you proceed with caution if you're new to the Sims 3.  It's a lot to understand and absorb just the regular play of the game without adding the complications of a mod.

But if you do decide to use them, I also recommend Twallan.  He's well known to be one of the best makers of mods...  if not THE best.  Plus, he's a member of our Forum!  :D

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline Branr

• Occult
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 02:49:10 AM »
From what I understand, when you saved the copy of Seline's household to the bin, it removed any family connections to any sims not in the household (which is what it is supposed to do), and when you placed the household from the bin to the town, it had no way of knowing the family connections.

You can use Twallan's Master Controller on Seline to add the parents back to her family tree.

Leto85

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 06:48:27 AM »
Is someone willing to describe this with picture examples? I got the feeling it is straight forward on how it works, but for people new to the sims it can save their life.
And if it doesn't save their whole life at least it can save some time in their life.