Author Topic: Error 12 and sims3.bad Folders  (Read 26538 times)

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
Error 12 and sims3.bad Folders
« on: January 01, 2012, 08:53:59 AM »
I was ecstatic yesterday as I managed to play right up to where I wanted to be, in order to take a New Years photo for my legacy. I've been having a lot of problems recently that didn't allow me to play (overheating, and we needed a new fan which there kept on being problems with arriving) so this made me really happy. I went off to install the New Years items and then started my game again and continued to play, about four saves later I got an Error 12 not allowing me to save. I just shut down the game and had a look at my saves in the Sims 3 folder, and there was dreamer.sims3, (which is dated back in October!!) and dreamer.sims.bad! I also have a repeat of this for dreamer2 which is my second save, because I alternate between the two specifically not to let things like this happen. >_>

I tried to delete the .bad files and play with the dreamer.sims3 but they are dated months ago and I already had to replay a few chapters of my legacy because of having to factory reset my computer, so this is really not the way to go.
I restored the .bad files and renamed them to .sims3, dated yesterday, but the game would shut down to the desktop and I would get 'sims 3 is not working'.

Is there anyway I can fix this without having to play from September/October? It is going to be absolutely gutting if I need to play from then.

I copied my Sims 3 folder right after the error came up so I have a copy in my documents folder to try any techniques anyone suggests on.

Please help. :(

loveSims

Re: Error 12 and sims3.bad Folders
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 10:38:30 AM »
Did you make backups Fez?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Yarakisagoa

• Idol or Idiot?
  • Townie
  • Impossible stands for I'm possible...
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 11:59:37 AM »
Unless you have a backup of your game. Otherwise, sadly, as long as I know, you'll have to start it over :D.

P.s: is your game up to date? Since the 1.29 patch, I have no problem in saving game (yet). Remember always make a backup. Because who know, that's what surprise means ;)). And here is a few tips when saving to avoid the problem(s):

1. Pause the game before save. (I dont know why I do this, but I think it'll help)
2. Use the "save as" to save it to 3 (or more) diference save files. I'm doing this just for the backup as i said above.

Good luck :D.

Edit: According to the Readme.txt file, Error Code 12 is a "World file save failure".
"When I was a young man. I Had liberty, but I did not see it. I had time, but I did not know it. And I had love, but I did not feel it.... I know I would have enough time to do everything, now I worry I do not have any time to do anything"
-Ezio Auditore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCTtIIW1WA0

Offline cathyknits

• Immortal
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 12:02:31 PM »
If you have a .backup, instead of a .bad, that should be fine. Error 12 usually means something failed on this particular save - the two things that seem to do it to me are a) playing for too long in one sitting (4-5 hours or more) and b) doing architect jobs - but doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem with the underlying game file. It should be okay to go back to the last save that worked...and when it worked, it should have made a .backup of itself.
Immortal Dynasty: A Bouquet of Blossoms

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 04:50:20 PM »
I just played from the old file.. and it happened again, but only after I went to change my sims outfits! It happened last time when I changed a sim's outfit, too. :( Does this mean my Create-A-Household is bugged? And yes, I'm all patched up.

If you have a .backup, instead of a .bad, that should be fine. Error 12 usually means something failed on this particular save - the two things that seem to do it to me are a) playing for too long in one sitting (4-5 hours or more) and b) doing architect jobs - but doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem with the underlying game file. It should be okay to go back to the last save that worked...and when it worked, it should have made a .backup of itself.

No, the .backup is dated months ago, that's the problem. :(

Unless you have a backup of your game. Otherwise, sadly, as long as I know, you'll have to start it over :D .

P.s: is your game up to date? Since the 1.29 patch, I have no problem in saving game (yet). Remember always make a backup. Because who know, that's what surprise means ;) ). And here is a few tips when saving to avoid the problem(s):

1. Pause the game before save. (I dont know why I do this, but I think it'll help)
2. Use the "save as" to save it to 3 (or more) diference save files. I'm doing this just for the backup as i said above.

Good luck :D .

Edit: According to the Readme.txt file, Error Code 12 is a "World file save failure".

I do pause before I save the game, and use save as, as I mentioned in the first post. I couldn't use three save files, I use two. Three would be far too much for my laptop to handle as it is a huge save file.

Did you make backups Fez?

Yes, but I just played from it and it happened again after I used the create-a-household to make a new outfit for my sims. :(

Offline kiko94

• Immortal
  • you pronounce it *keko* not *kIko*
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 06:03:14 PM »
A thread I did a while ago that should help you understand your issues :)
http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,8266.0.html
My Blog For Sims 3 Buildings, visit for exclusive content -07/11 update : New Houses and community lots, don't miss them !!

-The Awkward moment whe you are viewing who's online, and you find somone looking at your profile...

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 06:07:09 PM »
A thread I did a while ago that should help you understand your issues :)
http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,8266.0.html

Thank you, Kiko! I read the Error 12 part but.. I literally used resetsim * about one sim hour before this happened (I do it regularly), it wasn't lagging at all before this happened and also I don't think it could be to do with having to much store items (I have no third-party CC) because I was able to play for hours with all that stuff before hitting this.. I think it is to do with Create-a-Household because this only happens when I save after changing any of my sims' outfits.. I'll try again tomorrow and see if it occurs again when I'm changing the sims' outfits. :)

I will also try waiting a while and playing for a bit, and zooming out to edit town. :)

EDIT: Actually, I was wondering.. for anyone that has had this error before, is it natural for a .bad file to come from it? If not, then it could be something else that is harming my game..

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline CharlotteDaBookworm

• Occult
  • Call me Charlotte, Charlie or Char
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 06:27:56 PM »
Every time I get error 12 it makes a .bad folder. One thing you can do is minimize the game and delete the .bad folders then try saving again. Works for me.

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 07:19:04 PM »
Every time I get error 12 it makes a .bad folder. One thing you can do is minimize the game and delete the .bad folders then try saving again. Works for me.

Hmm, good idea! Never thought of it! I will try all of these tomorrow, thank you all so much. :)

Offline Sunnysabjes

• Occult
  • Insanely serious or seriously insane?
    • Deviant
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 01:48:25 PM »

It doesn't work for me... I keep getting the error... any other solutions? I'm getting tempted to just reinstall the game and not use the new patch... It kinda messed up the game...

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 02:35:42 PM »
It doesn't work for me... I keep getting the error... any other solutions? I'm getting tempted to just reinstall the game and not use the new patch... It kinda messed up the game...

Delete any CC? I deleted some recent store items of mine and that did the trick. :) (Forgot to post about it here)

Offline Sunnysabjes

• Occult
    • Deviant
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 02:48:12 PM »
Delete any CC? I deleted some recent store items of mine and that did the trick. :) (Forgot to post about it here)

You mean stuff from the store or downloaded thing from other sites? I recently got rid of all my downloaded hair and stuff, I had way to much :P.

Edit: I just checked and got more downloaded stuff that didn't come from the store then I thought. I'm uninstalling ti now and then trying again!

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 02:53:13 PM »
You mean stuff from the store or downloaded thing from other sites? I recently got rid of all my downloaded hair and stuff, I had way to much :P.

Anything you don't use very much or use the least. CC is just any items not included with base game or any SPs or EPs. :) Personally, I'd delete the third-party CC as they can cause problems with the game, but as I didn't have any of that anyway I just deleted a recent collection I had got from the Store that I don't need anymore. :)

Offline Sunnysabjes

• Occult
    • Deviant
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 03:14:38 PM »
Anything you don't use very much or use the least. CC is just any items not included with base game or any SPs or EPs. :) Personally, I'd delete the third-party CC as they can cause problems with the game, but as I didn't have any of that anyway I just deleted a recent collection I had got from the Store that I don't need anymore. :)

As soon as I get some thing uninstalled I'll give it a try. If it will let me, it says it uninstalled, but it just shows up under installed content XD Wow this is getting weird...

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 03:32:25 PM »
As soon as I get some thing uninstalled I'll give it a try. If it will let me, it says it uninstalled, but it just shows up under installed content XD Wow this is getting weird...

Do you mean the Third-Party CC or the Store Content that doesn't show up as uninstalled?