Author Topic: How to keep thieves from stealing cars  (Read 9188 times)

Offline Janna

• Watcher
How to keep thieves from stealing cars
« on: May 13, 2012, 11:03:24 PM »
I bought my sim's oldest boy (Lucas) a car; he had just aged up and has a part time job. 
I don't have a garage, just made parking spots in the yard for the two cars. 

Heard the thief music and ignored it; figured it was the neighbors who are always getting robbed.  But when I saw the neg mood for having something stolen, I checked and his car was taken!   :(   >:(

I had just started up the game, had been playing it for no more than five minutes so I exited without saving.  How can I keep the cars from being stolen?  Would building a garage help, or should I fence in the whole yard?  Or put the cars in the person's inventory?
Indigo,  the youngest, will be aging up in two days, I was going to get her a car also; so that will be three cars to keep safe. 

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: How to keep thieves from stealing cars
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 11:30:38 PM »
I doubt that just building a fence would stop a thief because walls don't keep them out of a house. I guess the only way would be to buy a burglar alarm, but I think they need to be in an enclosed area to work, so a garage would be ideal with the alarm on the wall inside it. Another option, but not sure if it would work would be to fence the yard and have the alarm on a wall near the car (maybe a carport?)
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 11:47:35 PM »
I've started putting the burglar alarms on the outside of the house.  It seems to catch a burglar as soon as he/she steps on the property.  Garages seem to help as the burglar can't open the garage door.  Keeping the car in the Sim's personal inventory is also a good idea.  If you do that, I would suggest you delete any parking spots on the lot because Sims are known to park the car instead of putting it back in the inventory.  If there's no parking spot, there is no choice but to put it back in inventory.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 01:34:45 AM »
The burglar alarms do work on the outside.  If I don't have a garage,  I build a fence or pillars on either side of the house on the property line, use move objects on and put a burglar alarm on that.  You can fix up the fence or pillar with plants and as soon as the burglar even gets close to the alarm, it will go off.  Have not lost a car in a while now. :)
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline Margerita

• Immortal
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 09:01:32 AM »
I always place my burglar alarm by the front door and it 100% goes off whenever a thief visits.

Offline Priyansh

• Imperator Romam
  • Llama Wrangler
  • Vires Et Honorem
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 06:24:09 PM »
I would say that keep it in Lucas' inventory. Thief cannot steal it then.

I'm a bit confused about alarms. Do you have to keep it such that it faces outside? Or such that it faces the door? Or such that thief passes the wall and it goes bang?

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 06:27:04 PM »
I would say that keep it in Lucas' inventory. Thief cannot steal it then.

I'm a bit confused about alarms. Do you have to keep it such that it faces outside? Or such that it faces the door? Or such that thief passes the wall and it goes bang?

I used to put mine on the inside near the door, but now I put it on the outside wall.  By using the inside wall, it detects the burglar as soon as he enters the house.  But by using the outside wall, it detects him as soon as he steps on the lot.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Priyansh

• Imperator Romam
  • Llama Wrangler
  • Vires Et Honorem
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 06:37:01 PM »
I used to put mine on the inside near the door, but now I put it on the outside wall.  By using the inside wall, it detects the burglar as soon as he enters the house.  But by using the outside wall, it detects him as soon as he steps on the lot.

Thanks for the answer. This means I can place it on the rear/side wall of my house and it will beep as soon as thief steps on the lot?

Offline Margerita

• Immortal
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 07:27:20 PM »
Thanks for the answer. This means I can place it on the rear/side wall of my house and it will beep as soon as thief steps on the lot?
Most likely yes, but mine is usualy placed somewhat near the center of the lot as well when I think about it.

anything