Author Topic: Medley Immortal Dynasty, Take Two (Failed, Graveyard)  (Read 12803 times)

Offline Lasnien

• Townie
Medley Immortal Dynasty, Take Two (Failed, Graveyard)
« on: June 20, 2012, 09:45:20 AM »
The last time we left the Medley family, Jessica (founder) was immortal, Valerie (second generation) had finished her LTW and supermaxed painting, and Fiona (third generation) had just aged up to teen. I'd originally dropped the story due to a lack of interest on my part, but I started playing the file again a little the last couple of weeks. Unfortunately, I lost the notebook where I'd been keeping track of opportunities when I moved into a new house. While Jess's blackops are listed in the thread here, I have no real way of knowing which ones Val had finished or how many she might have needed still.

I suppose there's a chance I could run across my missing notebook and make the old file HoF-worthy again, but I'd rather just start afresh and not worry about it. So, without further ado, I present the second Medley Immortal Dynasty.

Here is the current family tree of the Medley family, including the previous Dynasty attempt family.

Table of Contents
Prologue
Chapter 1: Enter Starlight Shores
Chapter 2: Birthday and a Nooboo
Chapter 3: Toddler Training
Chapter 4: Birthday Bonanza
Chapter 5: A (Nearly) Full House
Chapter 6: Teenage Wasteland
Chapter 7: Another Requirement Down
Chapter 8: Indecision
Chapter 9: Four Birthdays and a Death
Chapter 10: Love in the Air?
Chapter 11: Birthday and a Wedding
Chapter 12: Immortality
Chapter 13: An Unwanted Visitor
Chapter 14: Vacation
Chapter 15: Change of Mind
Chapter 16: Enter Generation Three
Chapter 17: Lookin' for Love
Chapter 18: Toddler and France
Chapter 19: It's That Time Again...
Chapter 20: One, Two, Three, Four?!
Chapter 21: Chinese Vacation
Chapter 22: Immortal Number Two
Chapter 23: Graduation Day
Chapter 24: Blossoming Love

Offline Lasnien

• Townie
Re: Medley Immortal Dynasty, Take Two
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 09:45:44 AM »
Note: Stats may not be completely accurate with posted story info. I play ahead of the story and don't want to spoil anything by posting stats here early. ;)

Immortal Statistics

Generation 1:
Fiona Medley - Immortal on W8D3, age 81
Traits: Loves the Outdoors, Exciteable, Handy, Green Thumb, Lucky
LTW: Creature-Robot Crossbreeder
Supermax Skill: Gardening
Career: Science
Portraits: YA + photo; Adult + photo, sculp; Elder + photo sculp
Investments: Flying V's Coffeehouse, La Laguna Park
Rewards: Super Green Thumb, No Bills Ever, Dusty Old Lamp
Blackops: Great Greens, A Just-in-Time Harvest, Uncommonly Good, Outstandingly Rare, Perfect Produce, Al Simhara
Best Friends: Shayla Willingham, Sonoko Lee, Emily Elson, Mandy (Best) Ghee, Codex Medley, Gary (Ghee) Medley

Generation 2: Jennifer Medley - Immortal on W13D6, age 74
Traits: Good, Friendly, Lucky, Natural Cook, Neat
LTW: Culinary Librarian
Supermax Skill: Cooking
Career: Culinary
Portraits: Toddler + photo; Child + photo, sculp; Teen + photo, sculp; YA + photo, sculp; Adult + photo, sculp; Elder + photo, sculp
Investments: The Market Basket, Buckshot Lake
Rewards: Born to Cook, Fireproof Homestead, Food Replicator
Blackops: When Dreams Come True; Perfection in the Pan; One, Two, Tri-Tip Steaks; Charismatic Cash; A Life Giving Recipe; We Love Falafel
Best Friends: Nicholas Medley, Natasha Gooder, Liam Medley, Nichole Eastman, Chad Luck, Xedoc Medley

Generation 3: Nicholas Medley
Traits: Good, Genius, Workaholic, Bookworm, Ambitious
LTW: World Renowned Surgeon
Supermax Skill: Logic
Career: Medical
Portraits: Toddler + photo, sculp; Child + photo, sculp; Teen + photo, sculp; YA + photo, sculp;
Investments: Holy Cow Memorial Hospital, Community Library
Rewards: Bookshop Bargainer, Inheritance, Body Sculptor
Blackops: Archaeology Exhibit, A Public Speaking Event
Best Friends: Mihuo Zhi

Generation 4:
Traits:
LTW:
Supermax Skill:
Career:
Portraits:
Investments:
Rewards:
Blackops:
Best Friends:

Generation 5:
Traits:
LTW:
Supermax Skill:
Career:
Portraits:
Investments:
Rewards:
Blackops:
Best Friends:

Generation 6:
Traits:
LTW:
Supermax Skill:
Career:
Portraits:
Investments:
Rewards:
Blackops:
Best Friends:

Generation 7:
Traits:
LTW:
Supermax Skill:
Career:
Portraits:
Investments:
Rewards:
Blackops:
Best Friends:

Generation 8:
Traits:
LTW:
Supermax Skill:
Career:
Portraits:
Investments:
Rewards:
Blackops:
Best Friends:

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Lasnien

• Townie
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 09:46:14 AM »
Prologue
I am Fiona Medley. I was to be the third in a line of eight immortals, starting with my grandmother, Jessica Medley. Instead, I'm starting over in beautiful Starlight Shores. I suppose I should explain how this happened, in case the unthinkable should happen and one of my descendants has to start over him- or herself.

Grandmother kept a journal detailing her move to Appaloosa Plains as a young woman and her life there afterwards. I've still got this journal, and its pages paint a happy, hopeful picture of a woman and her family working towards the goal of immortality. But something went wrong at Grandmother's last birthday, and she learned the truth of this immortality, and the thought of endless centuries of pain broke something in her. I have a hard time reconciling the ecstatic snapshots of her as a young woman with the subdued and slightly sad grandmother I grew up with.

Separate from this journal, Grandmother also had a ledger recording the requirements she and Mother had finished to give them the ability to consume the immortality-granting ambrosia. Grandmother never let it out of the museum at the back of our property, and I wasn't interested enough in art to bother going out there to look at it. Imagine everyone's surprise when it turned up missing when Aunt Chantrelle went to hang my portrait after I graduated!

I didn't really understand the gravity of the situation, caught up as I was in wedding plans. I mean, the ledger itself isn't a requirement, so what was the big deal? Then, Mom explained it all. Nobody could remember for certain which requirements she had accomplished, and that meant potential disaster. We needed a solution, and fast!

All those years of eating ambrosia had started to give Grandmother an otherworldly aura about her, and it had never been more apparent than that night. She advised us all not to get too worked up over it and told us she'd think it over and have a plan by morning. That night was the longest of my life. I sat beside Connor, my lifelong friend and fiance, in our old treehouse and we talked about insignificant things till neither of us could hold our eyes open.

Grandmother found us early in the morning, just after dawn and urged me to wake and get myself ready to travel quickly. At my confused expression, she began to explain while pushing me along in my morning routine and packing. She'd somehow managed to contact her granddad again and together they'd found a tiny loophole in the immortality contract. If I could be hidden away from the Reaper long enough to get my own contract started, I could save myself and my descendants. Mother and Grandmother, however, would have to pay the price of a failed dynasty.

So, I was bundled away here, to Starlight Shores. I've left behind my family and friends and lost all the knowledge I'd gained so far. I must live with the knowledge that everyone I care about is going to be trapped for all time, but I will not give up. Instead of an old-fashioned ledger and journal, I'll use this fancy new MultiTab 6000 to record my thoughts and save them to the simternet.

Immortality will be mine. Then, I will save my family.

Offline Lasnien

• Townie
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 09:51:46 AM »

Fiona: So, this is Starlight Shores, huh? This is certainly a change from Appaloosa Plains, but I'll get used to it. First things first, I've got to find the lot Grandmother bought for me. Now, where is Vista Boulevard?
??: It's up the hill at the edge of town. You'll have a great view, I think. Or you would if the lot wasn't nestled into a canyon.
Fiona: Whoa! Who – what – where are you?!

??: Calm down, sweetheart. You're not gonna be able to see me anyway. You can call me Raven. I'm here to watch over you for your grandmother. And this bundle of energy here is Codex. He'll help you out with companionship and funding in the early days.
Fiona: Grandmother sent you? How does that even work? I thought she was supposed to be trapped in the afterlife by now.
Raven: Well, it's a long and complicated story. Suffice to say that dear old Jess has some friends around the netherworld that wanna help her out of her predicament. You might say that I'm a sort of guardian angel or protective spirit or some such.

Fiona: And what about you, Codex. Are you a friend of Grandmother's, too?
Codex: :barks:
Raven: ...He's just a dog, sweetheart. You really think a dog could talk?
Fiona: Well, considering I'm apparently hearing voices in my head now, I wouldn't think it'd be so far fetched. :grins:
Raven: :sigh: Why don't you head down to Verde Park while Codex does some hunting for gems. I've got it on good authority that there's someone down there you'd like to meet. There are some plants you can harvest, too. Get a good start on your gardening.
Fiona: Bossy!

Fiona: Man! What a view! The park's not bad either. :grin:
Man: Glad to hear it! I'm Gary Ghee, and I'm the proprietor here. And what shall I call this vision of loveliness before me?
Fiona: My name's Fiona. I just moved into the lot up at the end of Vista Blvd.
Gary: Well, Fiona, it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance. :charming smile: Tell me, do you believe in love at first sight?
Fiona: Not really something I've had any experience with. I'd known my last boyfriend our whole lives.
Gary: Really? How'd that work out for you?
Fiona: I'm here, aren't I?
Gary: That you are. So, how about love at first sight, hm?
Fiona: I think I'll need a closer look to be certain...

Gary: How's this?
Fiona: Mm, I think I'm convinced. Want to move in with me? I haven't got much of a house, per se, but there's plenty of room for growth.
Gary: As long as you don't mind if I bring along my little brother. Well, I say brother, but we're not really related...
Fiona: I did say there was room for growth, no? Of course he's welcome to come along. There's just one more question I need to ask you...

Fiona: Marry me?
Gary: Er, well... It's awfully soon, isn't it? I mean... Can I take a rain check?
Fiona: :pouts: Oh, I suppose. Let's head up to the lot and see if any of the stuff I've... ordered... has come in yet.
Gary: And I'll call Jared and let him know we've actually got a home now.

Jared: I wouldn't exactly call this a home.
Raven: Hey! Show some gratitude, kid. By the time you're out of high school, this'll be a proper house, and by the time you're an old man, it'll be practically a mansion.
Gary and Jared: What was that?!
Fiona: I, uh, owe you both an explanation about what I'm doing here.
-Some time later-
Jared: So, you're planning on living forever, and we're supposed to help you get there? What about us? We're just supposed to die, then?
Fiona: I intend to find a way to save everyone by the time this is over. It'll be a long time, but eventually, I'll make sure all my friends and family live through this.
Gary: Well, I'm in. What do you need me to do?

Raven: And so it begins.

loveSims

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 12:17:50 PM »
Great start! Your founder is beautiful. :)

Offline Lasnien

• Townie
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 08:04:17 PM »
Thanks, loveSims! She took more after her father than her mother (in my previous dynasty), which I was happy for. Val had a seriously masculine jawline that I hoped wouldn't carry down the generations. ;)

For posterity's sake, let me list Gary's and Jared's traits. I meant to do it as they joined the household, but got carried away and forgot. Gary has Flirty, Friendly, Frugal, Genius, and Good. His favorites are Classical music, cobbler, and the color white. Jared has Athletic, Family-Oriented, Natural Cook, and Neat. His favorites are Indie music, PB&J sandwiches, and the color black.

Raven: Between the three sims in the household, they've got all the artwork covered. Jared sculpts while Gary paints and takes photographs. Fiona also learned photography, thanks to the wonders of the MultiTab 6000.
Fiona: This thing is my new favorite piece of technology! Next up on my tabcast playlist is this awesome fishing show.

Raven: It's not all skilling and working, though. Gary finally agreed to a private wedding. Cue the goofy wedding faces!

Raven: Meanwhile, Jared has graduated from high school as the class valedictorian, and he was voted Most Likely to Become a Professional Athlete.

Jared: Like I want to be in the public eye constantly. I'd rather stay home and be a savvy sculptor.

Fiona: Now that Gary has the knack of painting portraits, we've decided to go ahead and get started on the ever-so-vital next generation of the Medley family.
Gary: You make it sound so clinical, hon. C'mon, put that tablet away...

Raven: Awww, nooboo! Congrats, sweetheart. You excited yet?
Fiona: Excited, nervous, elated, a little sad.
Raven: Sad?
Fiona: Mom and Dad won't get to meet her.
Raven: Oh, they will. It'll just take a while, sweetie. Remember, you're not alone here.
Fiona: I know, Raven. :sigh: I know.

Fiona: Oh, ow! What the – ? Gah!
Raven: Looks like the baby is coming. Conveniently enough, you're already in the nursery, eh? Hang on, sweetheart!

Fiona: Hang on? Hang on?! Why don't you try doing this and see how easy it is to “hang on!”
Raven: Easy, sweetie, you're scaring the dog. Just a few more minutes, and then...

Fiona: Ah, sparkles!
Raven: Good job, hon! What will you name her?
Fiona: Jennifer. Her name is Jennifer.
Raven: She's smiling already! Such a friendly nooboo. I bet she takes after her father's good nature, too.

Offline Lasnien

• Townie
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 04:29:08 PM »

Raven: Things are beginning to get a little hectic at the Medley household with all three adults being celebrities. Someone really ought to give this poor paparazzi a makeover...

Raven: Jared had a few good friends at school, one of whom he decided to invite over late one evening. Mandy is one of the many, many Best children. She's a flirty social butterfly who loves to party. All that partying leads her to act inappropriately, and she's an oddly light sleeper considering how much noise she makes when she's awake.
Jared: So, Mandy. Now that we're out of school, have you given any thought to what you might want to do?
Mandy: What I'd like to do is get out of my parents' house! My dad's been looking pale lately, and this'll sound crazy, but I think his eyes are starting to glow...

Jared: Wait right here! I've got a great plan.
Mandy: What – are you...?
Jared: :whispering: Hey, Fi! I think Mandy may be under threat of the vampire invasion. Can we do something?
Fiona: :smile: Sure, why not?  Just make sure she won't want to leave again, since, y'know, she can't.
Jared: Got it!

Mandy: Jared! What's going o- mmph!
Jared: Marry me! Come live here with us.
Mandy: What, right now?
Jared: Absolutely.
Mandy: Um, well. Okay... :aside: And people say I'm inappropriate.

Fiona: Welcome to the family, Mandy! Here, let's get you out of those odd clothes you're wearing.
Mandy: Really? Thanks!

Raven: It isn't long until it's time for Jennifer's very first birthday cake.

Gary: Little darling looks just like you, hon! Well, except for her eyes. Your color, my shape. :proud smile:

Raven: Toddler training ensues.
Gary: Let's make sure you don't have any more stinky diapers. Up you go, little bit.

Fiona: There will be a lot of people that love you, but one day, there will be one that's special. Hold onto him, baby girl, and don't let him go.
Jennifer: Lub Mommy!
Raven: Awww...

Raven: Ah, and here comes another one! Why didn't you say anything?
Mandy: And let these people get a picture of me looking like this? Are you crazy?!
Raven: I'm not the one talking to a tablet.

Mandy: GET OUT OF HERE!!

Jared: It's a boy!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Lasnien

• Townie
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 10:34:38 AM »
Raven: There are a whole lotta birthdays coming up, so that's pretty much all we've got to talk about this time. First up is Codex, who's now got some grey on his muzzle and paws to show for it.

Raven: Up next, Fiona hits the adult stage. How's it feel, sweetheart?

Fiona: Pretty good, actually. Not a mid-life crisis in sight. Now, can I go back to sleep?
Raven: Sure thing, sweetie. Got an early day of gardening ahead of you, eh?
Fiona: Yup!

Raven: The next day is a double whammy, with little Liam having his toddler birthday... what's that? I never told you his name? Right. Liam is Jared and Mandy's little bundle of joy. He spent his entire nooboo stage in a swing, as pretty much every Medley (or housemate, as the case may be) child has since the invention of that wonderful bit of furniture.

Raven: And he got his mother's eyes! Wonderful!

Gary: Ahem. Forgetting something, tablet?
Raven: Right! Gary has his birthday in the evening, following the tradition of no birthday cake for adults.

Gary: So not fair. And why am I suddenly dissatisfied with everything?
Raven: Lovely. Mid-life crisis for you.
Gary: Crisis, eh? I'll give you a crisis – this haircut! Fix it. Now.
Raven: Bossy! You liked it well enough before your birthday.
Gary: :glares:
Raven: ...One haircut, coming up!

Raven: Now that Gary's demands for a haircut, renovation, and a motorcycle have been fulfilled, it's time for Jenny's birthday.
Fiona: Blow out the candles, baby girl!
Jennifer: Not a baby, mommy!
Fiona: :sigh: I know.

Raven: She's a lucky girl, isn't she?

Raven: Oh, and it looks like we may just have another housemate sooner rather than later. Jenny spends a good deal of time talking to thin air and claiming that her doll, Puzzle, is answering her.
Jennifer: Like talking to a tablet is so much different!

Raven: And we'll end this installment with a bit of toddler cuteness. Little guy's a bit neurotic, but he's friendly enough, so there's hope yet.

Offline Roxanne07

• Occult
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 12:54:35 PM »
Great start, and I really like your founder. Happy birthday everyone! :)

loveSims

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 06:39:57 PM »
Congrats with all the birthdays! Jennifer is a pretty girl and Liam is a real cutie. :)

Offline Lasnien

• Townie
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 07:46:28 PM »
Thanks for commenting! Jennifer's the spitting image of her mother, with only Gary's eye shape to really distinguish them. I'm really pleased with how she's turned out (I play ahead of my story, so she's already a young adult in my file ;) ).

As an aside, any comments or suggestions on the writing style I'm using? I'm not 100% pleased with the way it's turning out; it feels like I'm just ripping off all the other authors here that use the narrator/character conversations (and to much better effect, in my opinion). I've been thinking of switching to a third-person omniscient point of view (ie Raven) but I'm hesitant to switch writing styles mid-story...

loveSims

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 02:23:59 PM »
You have a natural talent for writing, so either style will be good. Write in the style you're most comfortable in ;).

Offline Roxanne07

• Occult
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 03:00:56 PM »
I like your story and your writing style, but if you do want to switch writing styles, I don't see why you can't. I'm with lovesims, just go with whatever you like the most.  :)

Offline Lasnien

• Townie
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 08:43:17 PM »
Thanks for the support, loveSims and Roxanne. I'll try to stick it out and see if it comes any more naturally to me, but don't be surprised if the banter between Raven and the sims starts to get cut back some. ;)

Raven: Well, you've got your life fruit already, and now here's the death fish. All you need now is a cook capable of making ambrosia and you're set on that front.
Fiona: I'd expect that between the cooking tabcasts and her interest in using the toy oven we bought, Jenny will have that covered by the time I'm ready. After all, I still have a few things to take care of with my gardening skills, and the folks around here are rather stingy with their job opportunities.
Raven: You'll get there. Have faith, sweetheart.

Raven: Speaking of cooking, little Jenny's pretty much filled the fridge with her confections during her childhood. Muffins, cookies, and brownies are everywhere!
Jennifer: Haven't heard anyone complain yet.

Raven: And I doubt you will, if you keep plying them with sweets. Good thing there's some gym equipment upstairs.

Raven: It wouldn't be an early Dynasty update if there weren't a boatload of birthdays, and this update won't disappoint. First up to the cake is little Liam.

Raven: It may not be entirely obvious, but the boy's a genius.
Liam: Oh, I'm not that impressive.
Raven: You're not fooling anyone, hon.

Raven: The birthday cake is more figurative this time. Jennifer got her hands on a rainbow stone that Gary dug up with the miner and traded it in at the Science Center for this glowing vial of liquid.

Raven: A flash of light and some sparkles later, and we've got our seventh sim in the household.

Raven: Meet Puzzle. He's a perceptive virtuoso who loves the outdoors.

Puzzle: Ooh! It's so nice to finally meet another imaginary friend! Who do you belong to?
Raven: ...I'm not really an imaginary friend. More of a... watcher, I guess you'd say.
Puzzle: Oh. Well. Okay then.

Mandy: Ahem! You've forgotten a birthday, I think.
Raven: Doh! I always seem to miss the adult birthdays.
Mandy: Nevermind that! Is that a grey hair? Where's my hair dye?!
Raven: :sigh: Another mid-life crisis? Lovely.

Offline Roxanne07

• Occult
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 04:31:14 AM »
I never knew you could get the Imaginary Friend potion that way! That's a great idea to let Jennifer make the Ambrosia. :))

anything