Author Topic: Immortal Dynasty or DecaDynasty?  (Read 9108 times)

Offline SecretBoy

• The DreamStone Immortal Dynasty starring Christopher and Zelda Dreamstone!
  • Llama Wrangler
Immortal Dynasty or DecaDynasty?
« on: July 22, 2012, 06:02:59 PM »
Should I do a dynasty or a decadynasty? I am not sure which one I would do. Dynasty you get to be immortal but decadynasties is much harder and more challenging (I love challenging things). Which do you think is better in your opinion?
{my blog to come soon}

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Immortal Dynasty or DecaDynasty?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 06:11:07 PM »
I took the liberty of retitling your thread given the DecaDynasty is a Dynasty. ;)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Dynasty or DecaDynasty?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 06:13:42 PM »
There is not a right or wrong answer to this as the choice is totally up to you. A decadynasty could be considered more challanging because you don't have as long to complete all your tasks and supermaxing by the time someone is in the adult stage can be difficult.But in my experince most good dynasty players can easily supermax by the young adult stage.

I personally prefer to play an immortal dynasty as I like having the family staying in the one house for eight generations.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 06:33:07 PM »
Both!

(Well I think that's a totally reasonable idea.. :P)

Seriously though, if you have the time, why not do both? I understand that you might not have the time though, and if you plan on doing stories it can get really hectic to play them all and get them updated at a reasonable rate as well. (No one mention that my immortal dynasty was supposed to be updated today..) Personally, I started with the Immortal Dynasty first because it's the classic one that everyone wants to complete. I started that with the intention of moving onto the DecaDynasty once I had completed it but it just drew me in a lot earlier and I felt that I wanted another file to play with.

I'm finding the DecaDynasty a lot more fun because I actually feel there's more freedom. I'm not really sure why, probaby because there's the option to start with a rich sim which I have chosen to do. (You won't always be rich though, unless you employ the Storing-Stuff-In-Chests-Outside method which a few DecaDynasty players have been doing). My immortal dynasty just bores me at the moment, because I'm at that stage where nothing happens.. Not sure if that stage ever comes in the DecaDynasty too, but my first heir is only a toddler so there hasn't really been enough time for me to get bored.

It's personal preference. I think they're as challenging as each other, though I find the Immortal Dynasty more intimidating despite talk of the DecaDynasty being a lot harder.

If you're someone that finds yourself getting bored easily with files, go for the DecaDynasty because I suspect that moving houses around all the time will keep your interest - I know it'll keep mine.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 04:33:51 AM »
Having (unoffically) finished both, I'd say they both have pros and cons:

• The DecaDynasty takes a lot longer, because it's eleven generations instead of eight, and heirs can't reproduce until adulthood. Mine took just over 98 Sim weeks - plus 98 days' vacation time - whereas the Immortal Dynasty was finished in less than 52 weeks (no vacations, since it was played with only the base game and Ambitions).
  • Even doing everything possible to keep the file size down (playing with the lowest settings I could stand and making minimal changes to the houses), the DecaDynasty got unbelievably buggy towards the end.  It was crashing every 30 minutes or so in the last generation.
  • It matters less if Sims pick up points in each other's skills in the DecaDynasty - they're not going to have all eternity to sneak off and try to max them behind your back.
  • The DecaDynasty also has other family member who aren't limited - I enjoyed playing two of the siblings more than most of the heirs.
  • Both get boring at times.  The Immortal Dynasty has quiet periods when you're just waiting for people to age up; I found the DecaDynasty felt repetitive by about generation seven and started deliberately playng differently - playing with other housemates as well as the dynasty family; having a large number of children in one generation and an heir who married twice.

Despite the negative tone of some of the comments above, I really enjoyed playing both of them.  As Fez said, try both :)

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 04:44:29 AM »
Hazelnut I was just wondering what you ment by negative tone of some of the comments. I don't see that either myself of Fez was negative.

Rachel

Offline SecretBoy

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 07:25:22 AM »
I know its up to myself but I think the ID is a bit boring because you are stuck to the same people in the household and only eight people is immortal but the decadynasty anyone can be immortal.
{my blog to come soon}

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 07:58:50 AM »
If you make everyone in a decadynasty immortal you won't have anyone for the tombstone  ;D

Rachel

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 08:49:29 AM »
Yea, I was going to make Matthew in my DecaDynasty Young Again with the LTR until I remembered he was the perfect candidate for the tombstone. :P It just depends on how you like the game, I can see why one may consider the Immortal Dynasty a bit boring because it's the same people for a long, long time so I'm just trying to make each of my characters very unique and fun to play so I keep my interest in it. :)

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 08:55:17 AM »
I personally prefer the Immortal Dynasty precisely because it's the same group of people for a while. In the DecaDynasty, people come and go. My main Sim will eventually die, or Young Again potion if theyre lucky. Any interesting heir will eventually pass as the next heir moves out. For the Immortal Dynasty, I'm with my crew forever.

Offline SecretBoy

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 08:57:17 AM »
If you make everyone in a decadynasty immortal you won't have anyone for the tombstone  ;D

Rachel
I will have a restriction for Immortals in Decadynastys sties, one person won't be immortal.
{my blog to come soon}

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 09:53:10 AM »
Yes but surely if you make a large amount of people from the same family immortal then you run the risk of running out of non-blood related townies.
I don't like moving in the decadynasty and leaving my family behind.

Rachel

Offline SecretBoy

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 10:11:07 AM »
Im more opting for an immortal dynasty.
{my blog to come soon}

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 10:23:40 AM »
Rachel, I think hazelnut meant that some of her own comments might sound negative (like game crashing every 30 minutes).

I have yet to succeed with either dynasty, but I do prefer moving around in the Decadynasty. A big challenge there can be finding an acceptable spouse. In the Immortal Dynasty, your heir can marry anyone; in the Decadynasty, the spouse has to live in town. My last heir had two unmarried non-vampires to choose from, both of whom were elders by the time she became an adult.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 11:03:30 AM »
Thanks Marian that makes sense. Blame lack of sleep on my being slow on the uptake.

Rachel

Offline SecretBoy

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 12:13:56 PM »
I'm actually going for a DecaDynasty, start tomorrow night. If anyone wants to change my mind before that.
{my blog to come soon}

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 02:25:30 PM »
Rachel,

Marion's right.  I meant my own comments. It's only just occurred to me that it was ambiguous.  Sorry.

Offline nicstriumph

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 05:03:33 AM »
Thank you for this topic. I was leaning on the Pinstar Legacy because it's very structured and while I am new to that it'll help me ease into a dynasty challenge. But this has made me reconsider... I'm such a sap for my sims and I think the idea of keeping with a whole line of the same group actually suits better :) Also I like Fez' idea of keeping it fun by changing each generation; do dramatic differences between sims - it 'd also help in getting to know professions I've overlooked in preference of what I know. Plus 10 generations requires a longevity of patience I highly doubt I process (which why an ID will be just as challenging).

EDIT: Changed DecaDynasty to Legacy.

Love. Life. Beautifully.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 05:18:35 AM »
The Decadynasty is the forums own Metropolis Man's brainchild Piinstar created the legacy challange.

Rachel

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 05:34:22 AM »
Yes, please don't get into the habit of calling it Pinstar's DecaDynasty.  Oh my, no.  Both the Immortal Dynasty and the Townie DecaDynasty belong to our Forum and were written by our Administrator/Moderator Metropolis.  Pinstar over on the official Sims 3 forum wrote the legacy challenge, which is hosted on our Forum at all.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline nicstriumph

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2012, 06:22:26 AM »
Oh I'm sorry - I should have said I'm doing Pinstar's Legacy Challenge. I meant no offence to anyone (especially Metroman) for assuming that because the legacy challenge had 10 generations it was a DecaDynasty. As I said I'm new to the dynasty stuff. Sorry all! Silly me *sorry smile*

Love. Life. Beautifully.

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 06:26:40 AM »
Oh I'm sorry - I should have said I'm doing Pinstar's Legacy Dynasty. I meant no offence to anyone (especially Metroman) for assuming that because the legacy challenge had 10 generations it was a DecaDynasty. As I said I'm new to the dynasty stuff. Sorry all! Silly me *sorry smile*

It's just a legacy, no dynasty there. ;) Don't worry, I got confused with it as well. Just remember the dynasty stuff is by Metro on our forum - Like, anything with "dynasty" in it. :)

Offline nicstriumph

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2012, 06:44:57 AM »
Oh, ah ha! Right will go re-edit my post. I'm such a spaz! Thanks Fez.

Love. Life. Beautifully.

Offline SecretBoy

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2012, 07:01:30 AM »
It seems like the DecaDynasty is more better because they have less restrictions (?)
{my blog to come soon}

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2012, 07:34:46 AM »
First of all more better is gramatically incorrect. Something can be better but not more better.

Both the immortal dynasty and decadynasty have restrictions.In the immortal dynasty you are not allowed to move anyone out but you can choose a spouse from the townies,NPCs and tourists. In the decadynasty you can move people out but you must only marry a townie which can be difficult. Also decadynasty families can use the young again potion and age freeze ltw plus all the other age altering devices. I would just like to point out that when the immortal dynasty was created the young again potion and age freeze LTW did not exist and the immortal dynasty is all about making ambrosia and staying alive by the eating of the ambrosia.

Rachel

SimBlip

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2012, 03:14:17 PM »
Ratchie, darling, I love you. There you are pointing out that "more better" is not correct to SecretBoy, yet you get punctuation wrong most of the time. No offense, honey, but you just cracked me up! :P

Hi, Secretboy! I joined this forum , because I fell in love with this clever concept of a Townie Deca-Dynasty. Funnily enough, once I started reading here, I found myself totally enthralled with the older concept of Immortal Dynasties. I simply thought: "... and what is so wrong with starting with Metro's first creation?" It's done a lot for me, I tell you, and I'm going to start up a second immortal dynasty. Why? Simply, for the pure joy of sharing a story with the community here.
When I've done that, I'll be happy to move on to Man's second creation. Saying all that, you don't have to mind me. I'm a little OCD.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2012, 03:25:30 PM »
Yes,I can do grammar but punctuation is not my strong point the thing is half the time I don't know what I am doing wrong so I cannot correct it.
I have improved though I do use full stops and capital letters now.

Rachel

SimBlip

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2012, 04:04:54 PM »
Ratchie,  that's great! Comma's next?
It's like this... if you talk to a person, you pause for a split second, you want to take a breath, then, you talk some more.

Offline Odinsdottir

• Spline Reticulator
  • Occult
  • Artistic, Natural Cook, Cat Person, Insane, Flirty
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2012, 09:27:05 AM »
I decided to do an Immortal Dynasty because I would have a chance to watch the characters develop and grow in more detail, and wouldn't have a revolving door of sims my head!
x, EAOdinsdottir.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2012, 07:20:06 PM »
More better is not good grammar. A lack of proper punctuation...ahem... is not good grammar either.
But that is not the point of this topic, is it?

Secretboy. :)
In an Immortal Dynasty, everything boils down to making good art. In a Townie Deca-Dynasty, everything boils down to making the best collection of precious items, before you have to move house. That is... if you are interest in making a score.
Why not start at the beginning? Metro's cleverly devised Immortal Dynasty came first. He created the Townie Deca Dynasty much later. I think, it compliments the achievements one can make after completing the mad art circus of the first challenge.

SimBlip - Thanks for the info but Secretboy hasn't been an active member for out community in a while so he probably won't see this.   
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline Markel1970A

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2012, 07:53:14 AM »
I'm loving the stories about the Legacies and the Dynasties. There are so many good ones. Like Metro's Man Dynasty (Crazy Man is my favorite Man character!) and the Seraphim one. (Aster is my favorite character over in that family line.) I always loved the Insane ones. :D

I love all of the different heirs and how different they are from each other.  ;D

anything