Author Topic: The GO Treatment Centre - A Stranger from a Strange Land  (Read 68790 times)

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
The GO Treatment Centre - A Stranger from a Strange Land
« on: August 24, 2012, 06:52:58 PM »
The GO Treatment Centre - Prologue

As twilight falls, a man in grey and his small black companion make their way to a secluded wooded glade.  The dog cautiously eyes a large brown rabbit as the man waits in front of a dark platform. 

Three dark-clad figures arrive and take seats on the platform.

The bearded figure in the centre turns to the odd-looking character sitting next to him and says in an irritated tone:  Rabbit ears!?  You decided to wear rabbit ears to your first meeting of the Elders' Council?  What on earth were you thinking, X?
X replies defensively:  You said we could choose our own headgear!  You said choose something appropriate!  Rabbit ears are appropriate because they express my character - quick like a bunny!
The woman on the other side sneers:  Yes, those rabbit ears really do say a lot about you - hare-brained!  That's why you're only an X.  You'll never be a Z.

X:  Well, you're just a Y! 

The bearded figure (whose authoritative manner tells us he is the Z of the group) says:  Never mind!  We'll discuss this later, X.  Now both of you will behave with proper decorum.  (to the man in grey) Payne, why have you requested a meeting of the Elders' Council? 

Mr Payne (for indeed, 'tis he):  Your Honour, I have recently become aware of a dire situation in the world of Sims.  I believe the situation requires our immediate attention.
Z:  Indeed. Please continue.
Mr Payne:  As you know, Sims have access to the most modern medical treatment at their hospitals - everything from maternity care to plastic surgery.  And yet there is one group of Sims who receive no treatment at all.  Their need is great, but they have no place to go, no refuge, no-one to help them.
Y:  Oh, how sad!  Who are these poor unfortunates?
Mr Payne:  Your Honour, I am talking about Insane Sims.  People laugh at them and make fun of them.  Their habit of speaking madness and talking about conspiracies makes it difficult for them to make friends, with the result that the poor things are forced to talk to themselves in a desperate attempt to meet their social needs.  And they experience failure after failure.  In the famous Mole Challenge, the two Insane Sims were the first contestants to be eliminated.
Z:  Discrimination?
Mr Payne:  No, I don't think so, not in that case.  It was their own insanity that caused problems.  One was convinced she was a table lamp, and the other couldn't tear herself away from trying to catch fish in the swimming pool.

Y:  Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Payne.  I had no idea the dire conditions Insane Sims face.  Do you have a plan to put before the Council?
Mr Payne:  Yes, Your Honour.  Insane Sims need a treatment centre, a supportive and pleasant place where they can come to work on treatment goals.
Z:  Yesss ... I can see the need.  But it does sound like an expensive venture - how do you propose to pay for this?
Mr Payne:  You may recall that the Vandersim twins, Pippa and Sebastian*, turned over control of their parents' estate to me, with the only proviso that the money be used for good.  Between the money tree plantation and the flame fruit canning factory, not to mention all the other holdings, the value of the estate is growing exponentially.  There's far more money there than anyone will ever be able to spend.
Z:  Good, good.  But surely the place will need a manager.  Do you have someone in mind?
Mr Payne:  Oh yes.  A woman I know -
X, interrupting:  Not that crazy wrench lady?  Payne, where do you find all these weird characters?

Mr Payne:  No, not Atauserk Otokrak**.  No, I had someone else in mind.  She's at loose ends since being eliminated from the Mole Challenge -
Y:  A failed game contestant?  You mean Sstarr MmcPhagall?

X:  But she's Insane!  Looney tunes!  Right round the bend!  Off her rocker!  A wack job!  Nutty as a -

Mr Payne:  Yes, X, thank you for reminding us of the kind of negative attitudes faced by Insane Sims.  Another very important reason why these unfortunates deserve help.  As for Sstarr, as you know, she was named after some very talented people, and I believe she has hidden strengths.  Besides, she will have the empathy to understand other Insane Sims.
Y:  And, Payne, you've always had a soft spot for lame ducks.  What is Sstarr doing these days?  Are you sure she's available?
Mr Payne:  Sadly, her job doing shoe endorsements didn't work out.  In fact, she had to sell all her shoes in order to be able to afford a tiny house.  She took a bottom-level job at the Science Centre as a Test Subject.

Mr Payne continues:  I'm sure I can get her on board.
Z:  Excellent. 
X:  Why is that dog here anyway?  Payne, do you think it's appropriate to take your pet with you everywhere?

This is Incubus's cue to jump into the discussion.
Incubus:  Pet?  Pet, is it?  I'll have you know I'm a valuable member of this team!
Mr Payne:  He is, you know.  He had great success in his first assignment - the job with Sandy Paws***.
Z:  Yes, well done, Incubus, my lad.  Only, I'm wondering - are you sure this is the right assignment for a chatty fellow like yourself?  I mean -
Y:  What he means is that you can't keep telling people the reason you can talk is because it's the week before Christmas!   Especially when Seasons isn't even here yet!  We'll never be able to explain a talking dog!  Are you sure you're capable of keeping your mouth shut?
Mr Payne:  Wait till you hear his answer for that!
Incubus:  Piece of cake!  They're Insane Sims, remember?  They're always talking madness!  When the Sims try to tell people about the talking dog, everyone will just figure this is more of their madness and take no notice! [Incubus grins his big doggy grin and gazes deep into the Elders' eyes with that special look that turns Sims and humans into total idiots, in thrall to our canine masters.  There are no further objections to Incubus participating.  The project is approved.]

Business completed, the meeting concludes.  The Elders return to whatever realm they normally inhabit.  Mr Payne and Incubus return to Sunset Valley to begin preparations for the treatment centre.

* Riches Galore:  The Orphanage Project
** Otokrak Dynasty (Incomplete)
*** It Happened One Christmas

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The GO Treatment Centre - Prologue
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 06:53:21 PM »
The GO Treatment Centre - Virtual Tour

Welcome to the GO Treatment Centre!  Please allow me to show you around.  You can leave your car in one of the parking spaces in front.

Now, the Treatment Centre is designed to provide a therapeutic atmosphere with everything Sims need to achieve their treatment goals.  Our Consulting Psychologist, Anushka, gave valuable input and advice on how to do this.

Let's walk around to the back of the house.  On the left you'll see the garden.  Gardening is excellent therapy, you know.  Here in the back yard a Sim can get a little exercise and have fun in the pool or just relax in the gazebo.

For Sims that prefer more rugged pursuits, we have a rock climbing wall and a wooded area where they can enjoy a campfire in the evening or even camp out.

Now, shall we look at the inside of the house?  We'll start with the main floor.  Here's the study, where Sims can read, learn skills or have a quiet game of chess:

This is the pet therapy room, a good way for Sims with Commitment Issues to learn to care for others.  Notice the striking Schipperke design on the wall, a Seabody pattern. 

The kitchen and dining area, with Floor coverings by Grimsoul:

The recreation area, with another Grimsoul pattern in the rug:

This room is for group therapy sessions, including SWAP meetings:*

The hydrotherapy room, newly expanded to include a massage table and sauna:

Gym and dojo:

Now let's go upstairs and take a look at the bedrooms.  We have three double-occupancy rooms, each with bath, plus a room for the resident manager:

This is our quiet room, where Sims can come to relax, meditate, practice self-hypnosis, or just enjoy the beauty of another Grimsoul pattern on the rug.

Our music therapy room is a little underfurnished because we just aren't able to get any of the Late Night instruments.  We are hoping that may change soon.

And finally, here is our art therapy room.  Note the still life arrangement on the table, the skeleton for anatomy study, and the pale blue walls where Sims can display their creations.

And that concludes our tour.  Thank you for coming to see the GO Treatment Centre, and don't hesitate to call if you want to discuss making a referral.

*SWAP - "Sims With Awful Personalities," a self-help group for Sims wanting to change their personalities, first introduced in my Clan Douglas Dynasty (link in my signature).

Editor's note:  A big thank-you to the creative pattern-makers whose work enhances the treatment centre!  I hope to add links to the patterns, but am a bit short on time this morning, so please be patient.  Also, I have a lot of wonderful patterns that I just can't remember who the designer was, so if you see a pattern that you designed or that you know who designed, please let me know so I can give proper credit.  Thanks!

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The GO Treatment Centre - Referral Guidelines
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 06:53:37 PM »
Dear friends,

You may be familiar with a Sims Asylum Challenge from a few years back.  That Challenge always seemed to me to be a bit mean-spirited, as it involved putting Insane Sims in very inhumane conditions - too few beds and bathrooms, etc - and I always wondered, why not have a real treatment centre, where the goal was to provide treatment for Insane Sims.  Even in real life, sadly, treatment for mental illness is often underfunded and woefully inadequate to the need.  So, armed with an Insane failed game show contestant, the inexhaustible funds of the Vandersim estate, and those quintessential do-gooders Mr Payne and Incubus, we're going to try to make a difference to mentally ill Sims.

I would welcome your participation in this project.  You are invited to refer your Insane Sim to the Treatment Centre.  Here are the current referral guidelines, which may be updated from time to time.

Referral Guidelines - Updated Sept. 22

1.  To qualify for the Treatment Centre, your Sim must be Insane.  There are no other required traits.  I have all EPs installed, up to and including Supernatural, so content from any of them is fine.  I have all Stuff Packs except Katy Perry, so if you include any clothing or hair from that SP, it will be changed in my game.  Store items are ok - I have a lot of store content - as long as you don't mind if the clothing or hair gets changed if I don't have it.  Also, of course, please make sure you don't include any custom content other than store items.

2.  When you make a referral, please state what treatment goals you would like your Sim to work on.  Examples of treatment goals:  acquiring enough happiness points to purchase certain rewards, learning skills, making friends, etc.  We will not work on Lifetime Wishes or any goals requiring travel.  It is anticipated that most Sims will remain in the Treatment Centre for one to three weeks, so please keep in mind what goals would be realistic in that length of time.

3.  Items Sims may bring with them in their inventories, if desired:  guitar, books, Multi Tab.  Contraband:  Sims may not bring Sim Life Goggles or similar items with them, as we want them to be working on their treatment goals not floating around in their own little world.  Any such items will be confiscated.

4.  Sims will be required to do chores:  gardening, cleaning, cooking, pet care, welcoming new residents, repairs, etc.  You may request a particular work assignment for your Sim, with the understanding that they may or may not get their first choice, depending on the needs of the Centre.

5.  Optional, but recommended:  You may or may not choose to submit journal entries, letters home, etc, for your Sim.  If you choose to do this, it will help me to create interest in your character in the story and excerpts may be used as well.  You might also want your Sim to get care packages from home (any items in my game) or letters.  Gifts from home could also include items such as a voucher for a spa treatment, theatre tickets, or a gift card to use at the book shop (thanks to SadieHamming for these ideas).  To send your Sim a care package, PM me with the details of what you would like your Sim to receive.  Use your imagination!

6.  When you are ready to make a referral, please forward to the Treatment Centre the following information:  Sim's name, picture, personal details (traits and anything else you wish to add in the way of case history), treatment goals, and contact information (a link for uploading).

Edited Sept.22 to add:

7.  The standard treatment program will be two weeks in length.  Shorter or longer programs may be offered from time to time.

8.  Teenagers being referred to treatment must receive care packages every week. 

Edited Oct. 8 to note that traits and content from all EPs can now be used.

Offline SadieHamming

• Immortal
  • Call me Sadie :)
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 07:03:15 PM »
Sounds very interesting, I will read be reading! Mr.Payne makes his rounds. YAY!! Sstarr is back!!![Not that she ever left ;D]

thesweetestpea

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 10:21:51 PM »
Oh, Schip, are you accepting applications? I love my Insane sims, but some of them are a little too insane... ;) Hello Sstarr! It's good to see you back.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 10:41:45 PM »
Incubus + Payne-in-the-neck = Great Story! ;D
I'm really looking forward to how this turns out!

Offline cathyknits

• Immortal
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 08:03:46 AM »
A new project for Mr. Payne! I'm thrilled.
Immortal Dynasty: A Bouquet of Blossoms

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 08:16:46 AM »
Sstarr's back! Mr. Payne's back! Insane people are back! Schipperke's back! Words can't express how excited I am to see this! Reading this brightened an otherwise lackluster day. Looking forward to reading more of this!

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 08:55:38 AM »
Thanks very much for taking the time to read my story and for the comments!  I hope you'll enjoy the story.

Oh, Schip, are you accepting applications?

Sneaky girl, you read my mind!  Check the third post, above.  ;)

thesweetestpea

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 08:59:21 AM »
Thanks very much for taking the time to read my story and for the comments!  I hope you'll enjoy the story.

Sneaky girl, you read my mind!  Check the third post, above.  ;)

And how does one make a referral to the Treatment Center? By appointment only? ;)

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 09:27:52 AM »
And how does one make a referral to the Treatment Center? By appointment only? ;)

Read the third post, which has just been updated!  :)

thesweetestpea

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 09:30:51 AM »

Excellent! I shall try to organize some referrals of some of my dearly beloved Insane girls. :)

Even in real life, sadly, treatment for mental illness is often underfunded and woefully inadequate to the need.

Sadly, this is very true, and I have had personal experience both myself and within my family. Here's hoping that Sstarr, Payne and Incubus will be able to go one better!

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 09:36:15 AM »

I'd like to contribute a Sim as well. It won't be hard to guess which one, there aren't many to pick from in my games.  ;)
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
Re: The GO Treatment Centre - Virtual Tour and Referral Info now Available
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 09:45:10 AM »
I may also have an Insane Sim I'd like to contribute, but I'm worried she's not Insane enough!  :P

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The GO Treatment Centre - Virtual Tour and Referral Info now Available
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 09:55:25 AM »
Well I just need to decide which of my insane Sims needs the most help.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.