Author Topic: The Jones Random Town Jump: Complete  (Read 234069 times)

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
Another horse in the house?!

Nice to see the Joneses again - and that they're not getting any saner :).

And RIP Hope.

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
Yay! An update! A funny one too!  ;D

Poor Hope, and wow...so many elders passed away... :o

Thanks Corey  :). Yeah, I seem to be at the point of the world where the original townies start dropping like flies. I've been getting lots of phone announcements of deaths in my game too recently.

Another horse in the house?!

Nice to see the Joneses again - and that they're not getting any saner :).

And RIP Hope.

Lol, that was my reaction too  ;D. I've come to expect a certain level of chaos in this household.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Snufflesxx

• Sherlockian
  • Watcher
  • Every puzzle has an answer
I've just read the whole thing and its pretty amazing, Ausette! My favourite character has to be Alicia, though I really liked Ben too!
** My Stories **

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research." - Sherlock

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
I've just read the whole thing and its pretty amazing, Ausette! My favourite character has to be Alicia, though I really liked Ben too!

Thanks, Snuffles! It's been a while since someone mentioned Alicia. Makes me wonder if we're due for an Evil Jones soon.  :)

Offline rarespawn

• Llama Wrangler
You realize you've given a whole new meaning to the phrase, "Keeping up with the Jones'!"

I started catching up on these awhile back.  I'm not very talkative so I haven't said much, but I've probably enjoyed your story the most out of all the ones I've read on this site!  Your characters are so interesting, and I love the way you let them lead the story.

I'm seriously considering giving the random town jump a shot because you've completely convinced me it is a great way to tell a story!  I love how you play out each new generation however it feels right to you.  It seems like a lot of fun :)

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
You realize you've given a whole new meaning to the phrase, "Keeping up with the Jones'!"

I started catching up on these awhile back.  I'm not very talkative so I haven't said much, but I've probably enjoyed your story the most out of all the ones I've read on this site!  Your characters are so interesting, and I love the way you let them lead the story.

I'm seriously considering giving the random town jump a shot because you've completely convinced me it is a great way to tell a story!  I love how you play out each new generation however it feels right to you.  It seems like a lot of fun :)

Oh wow, I'm so honoured to be considered a favourite of yours! Thank you so much for choosing to comment after all this time  :D! I'd definitely recommend playing a town jump if you feel you'd have the time and motivation. It's the most satisfying multi-generation play style I've used because a) randomness is fun and b) the town-jumping format compensates for most story progression and technical deficiencies. It's loads of fun and not very demanding. I owe heaps to Judewright for coming up with it!  :)

Offline JudesSims

• Sim Addict - and Proud of It!
  • Watcher
The Jones Random Town Jump, "Chapter 61 - Science and Seduction (double)"
« Reply #486 on: June 03, 2013, 09:21:42 AM »
I owe heaps to Judewright for coming up with it!  :)

Thank you, Ausette!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline amyrose

• Immortal
  • Jorja Phoenix
I've just reread this entire awesome story, and I've decided that my favourite sim was Caitlyn, followed closely by Savannah. I'm really looking forward to the next update! Just out of curiosity, how many worlds do you have left?

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
Thank you, Ausette!

Aw, don't be silly, you deserve all the thanks we can give you.  :)

I've just reread this entire awesome story, and I've decided that my favourite sim was Caitlyn, followed closely by Savannah. I'm really looking forward to the next update! Just out of curiosity, how many worlds do you have left?

After Lucky Palms, I have three worlds left. Hopefully I'll be done within a year of starting this story :). Thanks amyrose, I'm looking forward to playing again! Those are interesting picks for favourites, do you know why they appeal to you so much?

Offline amyrose

• Immortal
  • Jorja Phoenix
I liked Caitlyn because she was flirty, and because I thought her relationship with Magpie was sweet. I also loved her young adult everyday outfit, the pink and yellow playsuit. Savannah was just such an interesting character with her gold digging, cheating and shotgun wedding.

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
I liked Caitlyn because she was flirty, and because I thought her relationship with Magpie was sweet. I also loved her young adult everyday outfit, the pink and yellow playsuit. Savannah was just such an interesting character with her gold digging, cheating and shotgun wedding.

Thanks for the reply, amyrose! I always like hearing what people enjoy, because the variety interests me and it lets me know what kind of things to add to the story in the future. Lots of pink and yellow playsuits, got it!  ;)

Offline bitterescape

• Nooboo
I'm a long time lurker but I read through the whole thing and needed to tell you that I love your writing style and sense of humor. I was just wondering, is Mandy's full name (Amanda Jones) a reference to the Rolling Stones song? That was the first thing that came to mind when I heard it but I wasn't sure if that was the intention.

I'm anxiously awaiting the next update.  :)

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
I'm a long time lurker but I read through the whole thing and needed to tell you that I love your writing style and sense of humor. I was just wondering, is Mandy's full name (Amanda Jones) a reference to the Rolling Stones song? That was the first thing that came to mind when I heard it but I wasn't sure if that was the intention.

I'm anxiously awaiting the next update.  :)

Welcome to the forum, bitterescape (from lurking, I presume  ;) )! It's great to have more people on the thread, and I look forward to seeing you around the forum. Thank you for the compliments, and don't worry; I've just finished uni for the semester, so that next chapter will probably be up in a few days or so.

As for your question, that's a very good catch but the Stones reference wasn't intentional. I know "Jones" is a common surname, so I've been worried about accidentally referencing someone for a while. Hey, at least it was to an awesome song and not anything embarrassing!  :)

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
Re: The Jones Random Town Jump, "Chapter 62 - Nobody Likes Curtis (double)"
« Reply #493 on: June 24, 2013, 06:20:39 AM »
Chapter 62 – Nobody Likes Curtis

( ^ That was not supposed to be the actual title for this chapter, but... you'll see.)

It’s a bird! It’s a plane! It’s the cheapest superhero ever! No, it’s just Nectar performing for tips at the local park. Hmm, if I knew she’d be getting blown around like that I think I would have used a lower deck.

Life is going on in the Jones house as usual. Bean becomes an elder at a small celebration and is promptly stuck back into his usual attire. The hat’s undergone a slight palette swap, but thanks its inherent ridiculousness Bean looks exactly the same as he did when he was an Adult. Jingle-bell frog hats, the latest anti-aging breakthrough! You heard it here first, everyone!

Stella hasn't changed a lot either. Being Flirty, she’s just as enamoured with herself as ever.

“Curses! These porcelain sculptures are blocking my glorious reflection!”

Stella, it's a decorative mirror. You're not supposed to be able to use it.

“Pah! I do not see the decorative appeal of a mirror that doesn't show ALL of my body!”

Mandy is also handling elderhood well, and engages in plenty of healthy brain-building activities. Her hobbies include disapproving of the television…

…Expressive preparation of sandwiches….

…And screaming at her housemates to RUN FASTER YOU LAZY FREELOADERS. Her methods are harsh, but they work – both Nectar and Gerard are moving up their career tracks now.

Yes, Gerard also has a job now, specifically as a Latrine Cleaner down at the barracks. It’s not the most glamorous military position, but at least he gets plenty of time to prepare for the part of the job where he gets shot at.

Of course, the two lovebirds always manage to meet up and hang out together after work. There’s a little empty shack next to the military base that’s a lovely place for them to sit and talk.

Or alternately, kneel.

“I l-l-love you, Nectar Jones. Will you please marry me?”
Gerard! Yes! Oh my goodness, YES! Oh, when we’re old we’ll tell our grandchildren about this day! The uneven gravel, the casual trespassing, the imitation feather dance bikini…”
“The faint, lingering odour of latrines?”
“Of course, every detail! Oh, Gerry!

A quick bachelorette party is thrown,

“Nectar, Nectar?”
“Nectar!”

…And then Nectar, Gerard, Valentine and Curtis prepare for a double wedding.

Well, not before Glenn has his fun.

“Ladiiies!”
GLENN!
“Who keeps inviting this guy?”
“An easily-amused Watcher, no doubt.”

Hey! I– …Ah, but it’s true. Anyway, wedding.

Today’s the day, and here’s the venue! I haven’t actually named it, so let’s call it “Ausette doesn’t have Island Paradise yet”. It’s vaguely boat-like with a hot tub and decorative arch.

“Miss Darleen? You’re invited to my wedding. I don’t think I can go on a date with you.”

Gerard shows up early to set up the buffet, so he doesn’t have his formalwear on yet. Just give him a moment and he’ll spin into something more wedding-appropriate and–

Oh fiddlesticks. Well I guess that’s sort of appropriate for a wedding by the water, but seriously Gerry, even BEN got married in shoes.

Luckily, the bride has a sense of humour. In fact, a lot of Sims seem relaxed about the dress code today.

“Hahaha! Did you forget to rent a tux, Curt?”
“For your information, I’m breaking tradition to protest the unethical cotton farming that goes into black-tie suits.”
“Lighten up on the protests, man. We don’t even have University Life yet and you’re already angling to become one of those yellow-ish ghosts with the asterisks.”

At this point I decide to start the ceremonies, with the eldest Jones going first.

Curtis and Valentine Shaw are married on the upstairs deck overlooking the lake. The beautiful view and their love for each other is shared with their family and friends.

…Or not.

“Ha ha, look at the awkward dancing! I’m glad I came upstairs to see THAT!”

You and none of the other guests. See, this is why my Sims usually elope. Oh well, onto Gerard and Nectar.

Wow, nice going standing in the middle of the arch there, guys. I bet the guests really wanted an unobstructed view of that mesa.

Oh, apparently they did. Hey, they’ve actually showed up this time! Yay!

“I, Gerard Lancaster, promise to love and cherish you until routing issues move us slightly to the right. Will you be my noticeably off-centre bride?”
“I do!”

Note the mother of the bride in her wedding bikini. Aww, my Sims are so sweet when they’re weird  :). Congratulations, Nectar and Gerard Jones!

“Blech, the aesthetics are revolting! How I hate weddings.”

Curtis seems bitter. Curtis always seems bitter.

“EXCUSE me, could you NOT?”   
“Could I not what?”
“Do that! It’s very irresponsible to throw rice at a wedding! Birdseed has a much more positive impact on the local birdlife and fauna.”
“But my estranged son Gerard has invited me to his wedding! Today is a day to celebrate!”

By the way, Richard here completely glitched up and kept gleefully throwing rice until the end of the wedding. I can’t imagine why.

Oh well, Stella likes it.

“Edible confetti? Stella approves! NOMNOMNOMNOMNOM!

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
Re: The Jones Random Town Jump, "Chapter 62 - Nobody Likes Curtis (double)"
« Reply #494 on: June 24, 2013, 06:21:35 AM »

After the ceremony, Curtis skulks off by himself and almost instantly hits a wall of scorn and mockery from the guests.

“Hey Curtis, do you like my wedding outfit? I thought it would match that whole farmer look you seem to be going for.”   

Oh, did I say “wall”? I meant “parade”.

“Booo! Who wears flannel to a wedding? That is sooo disrespectful, random guy!”

“Booo! You– Oh hey babe, how’s it going? What are we boo-ing at?”

And so the groom spends the rest of his wedding glaring from the hot tub with his boombox. You know, I’m starting to see why no one showed up for his ceremony. Even the Jones family doesn’t seem to approve of him; Mandy leaves the wedding to go to work when I’m not looking, and Omar argues with Stella the whole time and then and sits down to read a book by himself.

The wedding was a decadent and splendid affair, with a scattering of autumn roses that matched the bride’s dainty blush. The groom arrived in a handsome suit and didn’t stand in the corner insulting the guests and relax Omar, he’s going to be moving out as soon as we reach the next town…”
“You talking about flannel-and-jeans guy? Quick, come and waste food with me!”

Where do you keep all that rice, Richard? Anyway, the wedding is an epic success (it was pretty fun to watch) and both couples drive off to Old Lucky Palms to enjoy their respective honeymoons.

The new Mister and Mister Shaw spend the night at the Salty Springs Resort (it’s a residential lot when you start the game). It’s slightly run-down, but it’s a nice little place to be alone away from the family.

Meanwhile, Nectar and Gerard honeymoon at The Lido, Gerard’s childhood home. After a night under the stars, so to speak, it’s time to pack up and say some last goodbyes to two of the family friends.

“Congratulations, Valentine! Thanks so much for taking Curtis away!”
“Er, thanks Lois. It means a lot that you’re happy for me after the whole dumping-you-for-a-man thing.”
“Oh, that’s fine! Since our breakup, things have actually been going really well for me!”
“Really?”
“Yeah! Right now I’m in the process of getting a flat with the last two guys left in town. Glenn is the outgoing fun-loving jock, Ted’s the aloof and mysterious one, and I’m the attractive yet bland female love interest who gets to decide which man is her one true love. It’s just like something from a romantic movie!”
“Wow, that’s awesome! Come here, you!”

“Thanks for the encouragement. Oh, and Valentine?”
“Yes?”
“My face is stuck in your hair.”

Okay, I admit it – I felt sorry for Lois. I really am setting her up with Glenn and Ted after the move, or at least I plan to if story progression doesn’t mess everything up for me first.

“Aw Nectar, I’m really gonna miss you guys. Never stop partying, OK?”
“Sure thing, Glenn! I’m going to miss you too. Say, that’s weird.”
“What’s weird?”
“There must be a glitch or something – our interaction panel says you’re my brother-in-law.”
“Well, I guess I sort of am. I’m dating Lina Lancaster.”
“You’re JOKING.”
“Nope! Have a look at your family tree; since you married Crazy Gerry, we’re officially relatives! Also Lois is my stepdaughter now. She’s still pretty hot, though.”

And on that bombshell, it’s time for us to go!

So long, Lucky Palms! I really enjoyed getting to know you these last few weeks. I’m sure I’ll come back to the desert one day, but in the meantime the Joneses are headed to somewhere greener.

anything