Author Topic: Getting rich with the gem-u-cut machine  (Read 25513 times)

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
Getting rich with the gem-u-cut machine
« on: September 07, 2012, 08:34:38 AM »
I bought the Gem-u-Cut machine that came with SN and I got rich fast with it.
My dog brought in a tiberium gem and I cut it in a spiral cut with the machine. Cuts made with the machine cost nothing. I got the spiral cut gem and 5 piles of gem dust.
I placed all 6 items on the ground and they all grew up to be worth around $40,000 each.
So around $200,000 off of one tiberium gem. Not bad.
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

Offline callycat

• Occult
Re: Getting rich with the gem-u-cut machine
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 10:06:31 AM »
Wow, that's impressive. I cut 6 tiberium earlier and just stashed the dust in a chest - I think I'll be scattering some around instead!

Cal
[they/them pronouns please]

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline TheAshpie

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 12:13:07 PM »
Does this only work with Tiberium? Or can you place any gem on the ground and it'll increase in value/grow?

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 12:14:00 PM »
That has made gem hunting even more important!  No more starving Sims.  Instead of buying that first toilet etc. when you are new, get a gem cutter and theoretically you can have a mansion in a day.  I like it.

Only tiberium grows, unless some of the newer stones also grow.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 02:32:16 PM »
I sim diffidently isn't starving now. But he was living on a empty lot at the time. Now I can build him a house.
My dog brought another tiberium home and when I cut it I only got one dust this time. But between the gem and the dust growing I still got about $75,000 from 1 cut.
I love my dog. :)

Offline sims96fan

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 02:53:42 AM »
Wow, that's great to know.  The tiberium dust made my sim sick in his inventory, and I thought it was useless since it wasn't cut, so I sold it off.  Simoleons down the drain!  :P

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 09:54:16 AM »
The dust made my sick sic also. I placed it on the ground just to get it out of my inventory. Then a few days later it grew just like the gems do and my broke sim wasn't broke anymore.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Cas

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 10:47:05 AM »
All gems can be sold at the Alchemy consignment store, unlike at the regular consignment store, so you can also sell your Tiberium there and make even more money.  I sold one at zero experience and got $92,000 for it!  :o

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 10:55:19 AM »
All gems can be sold at the Alchemy consignment store, unlike at the regular consignment store, so you can also sell your Tiberium there and make even more money.  I sold one at zero experience and got $92,000 for it!  :o

Did you sell the uncut rock or a cut tiberium for that much?
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 03:08:53 PM »
Both can be consinged and I just sold around 298.000$ worth soulpeace spirecut for around 491.000$ as my first sell! raw moonstone went for 1.981$.
This is fantastic news!

Offline Cas

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 03:10:47 PM »
Did you sell the uncut rock or a cut tiberium for that much?
A cut tiberium.  I sold 4 pieces that had grown, and one of the pieces sold for 92k whilst the other 3 ranged from 40-70k.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 03:26:07 PM »
Isn't there a way to store the dust since it is an alchemy ingredient?  Did the dust you left on the ground become a fulll tiberium or just more dust?

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 03:34:13 PM »
Had to check to see if it works, old formula for soupleace gem with transfiguration works with gem dust too.
So use the byproduct of cutting 5 different gems and add just one more cut - I used emerald cut emerald and gem dust from 5 more gems and got soulpeace gem.
This machine plus gatherer are my favorite parts of this SN.

PS Gatherer will increase the number of gem dust you get as a byproduct, without that trait it is average 1-2 gem dust per gem cut, while with it it is 2-3 gem dusts. Not shore how you got 5 from one cut.

Isn't there a way to store the dust since it is an alchemy ingredient?  Did the dust you left on the ground become a fulll tiberium or just more dust?

It grows into a full spire cut tiberium but you can store it in chest and probably in cabinet as other gem dusts.

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 05:07:41 PM »

If you get an alchemy display shelf, you can store elixirs, metals and gems (cut/uncut) inside. 
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline runesky77

• Nooboo
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 06:23:35 PM »
Thank you so much for this tip! I will be trying this when I play tonight!

Offline callycat

• Occult
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 04:10:11 AM »
I just had an insane glitch on the tiberium that resulted in selling one (from the inventory) for 48 million and the other for 43 million. Large spire cut tiberium seemed to be gaining a 0 on the value any time I selected them to move them between sims and the alchemy cabinet. Since there were 2 together I'd selected them before I noticed the change in value.

This didn't happen with plenty of others, so I'm not sure what happened with these two other than using the alchemy cabinet to store them instead of a chest once they had grown.

Offline thelittlepakeha

• Townie
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 04:39:24 AM »
I remember selling a gem for over 7k that was really not one of the more expensive gems - I can't remember exactly what it was sadly, something like a cut tanzanite or diamond maybe. I just noticed the number and went "WHAT?"

Offline callycat

• Occult
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 10:56:11 AM »

PS Gatherer will increase the number of gem dust you get as a byproduct, without that trait it is average 1-2 gem dust per gem cut, while with it it is 2-3 gem dusts. Not shore how you got 5 from one cut.

I've just had only 1 gem dust produced as a by product when cut by a Sim with the Gatherer trait. Maybe the extremes are just a very small percentage chance.

Cal

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 11:29:22 AM »
I've gotten anywhere from 1 to 6 dust from a gem cut.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 02:04:15 PM »
Had to check to see if it works, old formula for soupleace gem with transfiguration works with gem dust too.
So use the byproduct of cutting 5 different gems and add just one more cut - I used emerald cut emerald and gem dust from 5 more gems and got soulpeace gem.
This machine plus gatherer are my favorite parts of this SN.

It grows into a full spire cut tiberium but you can store it in chest and probably in cabinet as other gem dusts.

So theoretically you might be able to transfigure gem dust into a full blown gem?  That's an experiment worth doing unless you want the gem dust. (My alchemist would)

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline cathyknits

• Immortal
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2012, 09:02:56 AM »
Leaving aside tiberium - the gem-u-cut machine makes gem collecting highly profitable in general. The machine costs less than a single heart-shaped cut done through the mailbox, and all cuts are free. All that stuff on the gem collecting page about break-even points and the most profitable cut for each gem is out the window. Just use the highest cut you've unlocked for any gem.
Immortal Dynasty: A Bouquet of Blossoms

Offline Annah

• Nooboo
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2012, 09:16:16 PM »
i have the gatherer trait. I placed all my gem dust in my alchemy shelf....none of it increased in value

Offline simone23

• Townie
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2012, 09:27:36 PM »
I'm working on a game with three writers and one utility sim, trying to compare writing strategies.  The real takeaway I'm getting from it is: why am I bothering with writing when my utility sim is raking in this kind of cash?

Offline simone23

• Townie
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012, 09:32:08 PM »
Leaving aside tiberium - the gem-u-cut machine makes gem collecting highly profitable in general. The machine costs less than a single heart-shaped cut done through the mailbox, and all cuts are free. All that stuff on the gem collecting page about break-even points and the most profitable cut for each gem is out the window. Just use the highest cut you've unlocked for any gem.

It's still applicable for gems that can hit the 3500-4900 window - you would want to scale down the cut for a gem with a starting value above 900, to make it useful for tiberium transfiguration.

Offline simone23

• Townie
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2012, 10:52:29 AM »
Apologies for the triple post, but wanted to let folks know, gem dust counts as a gem cut for transfiguration, which means lots more large Soulpeace to use as the basis for lots more tiberium.

Offline jestina

• Occult
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2012, 09:48:54 PM »
I'm working on a game with three writers and one utility sim, trying to compare writing strategies.  The real takeaway I'm getting from it is: why am I bothering with writing when my utility sim is raking in this kind of cash?

I'm wondering why they bothered having careers in the game, when there are so many ways now to make gobs of money without even having a job. They could have at least made it so sims had to put some effort into getting gems...like having to mine them out instead of just finding them lying around. Gem collecting is getting more ludicrous with each ep...through martial arts with Ambitions, Pets, Supernatural, etc.

Offline Cedia

• Llama Wrangler
  • I love Italian Greyhounds...
    • Poesies.com
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2012, 04:31:20 PM »
My sims have two dogs, and one is a sculptor (sim, not dog).  It was obscene how fast they got rich with this machine!

Now I'm playing a genie sim thanks to SN CAS.  Is it me, or is the game getting easier?  :P

Offline Forest_Bear

• Llama Wrangler
  • Simlish Song Addict
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2012, 07:54:11 AM »
One of my sims unlocked the Heart-shape gem cut and she had the gatherer trait. She found a pink diamond and it sold for 15,000 at the Elixir Consignment store
Hi Im new! Call me Forest or Boo.

Offline callycat

• Occult
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2012, 02:07:03 PM »
I'm wondering why they bothered having careers in the game, when there are so many ways now to make gobs of money without even having a job. They could have at least made it so sims had to put some effort into getting gems...like having to mine them out instead of just finding them lying around. Gem collecting is getting more ludicrous with each ep...through martial arts with Ambitions, Pets, Supernatural, etc.

It's part of the design. They make things you've had to work for from the start easier and easier so the average player can have fun exploring the new stuff. Giving us fairies to speed up gardening and more ways to collect gems helps make the Alchemy skill more accessible too.

TheTripWasInfraGreen

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2012, 02:19:36 PM »
It's not like you have to partake in all the gem collecting and its ludicrous riches. In most of my games, I ignore it completely and can do so with ease.

Offline jestina

• Occult
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2012, 10:45:54 PM »
It's hard to ignore it now. Your sims can just be lazing on the sofa all day and still have money falling into their laps. Instead of making gem gathering even more ridiculous, they should have been fixing up the existing careers...giving us some reason to even have a job anyways. There should be some kind of reward for reaching the end of a career track, but most of them don't have anything worth mentioning.

Offline Cedia

• Llama Wrangler
  • I love Italian Greyhounds...
    • Poesies.com
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2012, 11:29:41 PM »
It's not like you have to partake in all the gem collecting and its ludicrous riches. In most of my games, I ignore it completely and can do so with ease.

Well, like I said in another thread, you can't just ignore dogs and go about your merry career way.  If left with nothing to do, they go aggressive, then they don't socialize, then they get taken away.  :(  Unless you want to micromanage everything they do, sending them off to Sniff Out Collectible is the only way to really keep them busy.

Offline ladyaya

• The Epic Panda-Cat Lover
  • Watcher
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2012, 01:24:11 AM »
Well, like I said in another thread, you can't just ignore dogs and go about your merry career way.  If left with nothing to do, they go aggressive, then they don't socialize, then they get taken away.  :(  Unless you want to micromanage everything they do, sending them off to Sniff Out Collectible is the only way to really keep them busy.

So why even get a dog in the first place?

Offline jestina

• Occult
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2012, 08:52:40 AM »
Maybe some people just want to do martial arts, have pets, etc without all the ludicrous and unrealistic side effects such as gems.

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2012, 06:01:37 PM »
So why even get a dog in the first place?

I think there are lots of reasons to have a pet.  For one thing, they're just fun to watch.  I don't usually bother teaching my dogs to hunt.  When my Sims are at work or elsewhere, the dog occupies his/her time chasing the ball, playing with toys, and playing in the sprinkler.  I know a lot of money can be made by sending the dog out to hunt, but that's not something that interests me.  I prefer to have my Sims earn their money and agree that if everything is too easy, it takes some of the challenge and hence the fun out of the game - at least for me.  :)  It's true there have always been ways of making huge amounts of money in this game, but that just isn't a priority for me.  Still, knowing that options such as the gem-u-cut machine exist, means that if I choose to use them, they're there.  If I don't choose to use them, I don't have to.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Offline callycat

• Occult
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2012, 06:27:49 PM »
Maybe some people just want to do martial arts, have pets, etc without all the ludicrous and unrealistic side effects such as gems.

Nothing is stopping you from having that. If you don't teach your dog to hunt, it will never find gems. You only get gems from practicing martial arts if you break space rock blocks, so that's easy enough to avoid as well since there are plenty of other boards to break.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2012, 08:40:12 PM »
Speaking of high priced gems, I had my witch use the gem cutting machine on a bloodstone, it was the normal price at first.  I put it on a coffee table on a stand.  I kept noticing the witch using the gem cutter and found another bloodstone gem on another stand in her inventory.  I thought that was weird, so I just put them both in the alchemy cabinet.  Went to check on something and both gems are now worth over 6 million, wow.  Another bloodstone she did started at $220.00, a few  minutes later, it was $2,100.  I wish I could do a screenshot of the price, but my keyboard does not do that, but the household is rich, by all rights, lol.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline ladyaya

• The Epic Panda-Cat Lover
  • Watcher
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2012, 09:11:30 PM »
Speaking of high priced gems, I had my witch use the gem cutting machine on a bloodstone, it was the normal price at first.  I put it on a coffee table on a stand.  I kept noticing the witch using the gem cutter and found another bloodstone gem on another stand in her inventory.  I thought that was weird, so I just put them both in the alchemy cabinet.  Went to check on something and both gems are now worth over 6 million, wow.  Another bloodstone she did started at $220.00, a few  minutes later, it was $2,100.  I wish I could do a screenshot of the price, but my keyboard does not do that, but the household is rich, by all rights, lol.

So once you cut a couple bloodstones, you put them in the alchemy cupboard, and their value went through the roof?

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2012, 09:15:04 PM »
I can't be sure that putting the gems in the alchemy cabinet actually made it increase, but when I picked it up to put it in there, it was only registering $200,000 and then in a few minutes after putting it in the cabinet, that is when I noticed the huge increase.  I would imagine, that this is some form of glitch, which is a better glitch than the norm,  lol.  Oh well, they can retire and live happily ever after. :)
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline Noocherenee

• Llama Wrangler
Getting rich with the gem-u-cut machine
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2012, 06:16:43 PM »
I've heard alot of stories about getting rich with the gem-u-cut machine but I have a few questions?

How do you cut the different types of cuts  ex Heart Shaped and Star Cut?

Where do you sell this items?  Do you drag them over to sell cause they don't seem to have much value.

If someone knows can you please explain it for me.  I really love to learn more about gem cutting and collections.  I've search the forum and the stuff on Carls page but it sounds foreign to me.  Maybe it's cause I'm such a newbee at playing the sims without cheats.

Offline cathyknits

• Immortal
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2012, 06:39:56 PM »
You start out only able to access the Emerald cut. It's not worth a big bonus over the gems themselves, but it'll still increase the value of the gem. The more gems you cut, the fancier (and more valuable) cuts you unlock. The exceptions are the Heart-shaped cut, which comes from collecting 10 different gems, and the Sculptor's Egg cut, which comes from having 5 or 6 (don't remember which) skill points in Sculpting. The Skull-Shaped cut can't be unlocked directly.

Tiberium, Geodes, and Septarian Nodules have their own specific cuts.

You can sell them either by dragging to the "sell" spot in your inventory panel, or by consigning them at the consignment store.

Offline Noocherenee

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2012, 08:22:20 PM »
Thank you so much.  Isn't is worth more at the shop then the inventory panel?  I think you can only sell it at the supernatural shop because the other one won't let me sell it there.  I've been practicing with it and I'm getting better.

Offline cathyknits

• Immortal
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2012, 09:10:37 PM »
There's a chance of getting more than it's worth at the shop, and a smaller chance of getting less. You might have to wait several days to see the money.

Offline Noocherenee

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2012, 01:36:16 AM »
I just found a different kind of gem.  A Smithsonite which has a different cut as well that pops up, which I forgot the name of it that quick.  LOL but I know it was something different.

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2012, 03:05:42 AM »
Smithsonite came with Late Night, while I wonder what kind of gem cut you saw.

Offline Gameactive

• Testing Cheats Enabler
  • Townie
  • “But making clichéd Sims is my specialty…”
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2013, 11:36:20 PM »
With how much I love the collecting skill, I should’ve found this thread sooner.

I haven’t done much searching through the Buy catalog since getting my game back up and running, so I definitely need to search that up. Maybe afterwards I should build a park and then put a bazillion gem spawners on it, I don’t know.

All I wish is that the base-game metals of higher value had spawners in the BuyDebug section. All my past Sims put together have found a total of less than twenty of palladium or plutonium combined.
“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back!” - Cave Johnson, Portal 2
“You ought to upgrade to Windows 7!”, they said. “It’ll help your games run so much better!”, they said. If I see them again, then they had better know how to stabilize an on-the-fritz copy of The Sims 3 that was working just fine on Windows XP.

anything