Author Topic: The Aurora Immortal Dynasty - Chapter 216: Alone at last  (Read 261435 times)

Joanne

Re: The Aurora Immortal Dynasty - The First Immortal
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2012, 01:16:28 PM »
Congratulations on your first immortal!

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2012, 01:21:01 PM »
Tanks you guys. It was almost anticlimactic when it finally happend, I guess I had so much riding on her finishing the writing career - that felt like a big win.

As to who tells the story in the future, I'm not really sure. I will want the other heirs to get their thoughts across, at the same time I don't see Klara completely letting go of the storytelling (she's the writer after all). Maybe it'll be more mixed from now on.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2012, 04:16:06 PM »
Congratulations on the first immortal! I have to agree with what others have said: I love your unique take on this challenge and the way you're writing it. It's a lot of fun to read!

I do look forward to seeing Selma and Rikard getting together. They do make a cute couple. :)

SimBlip

« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2012, 04:48:19 PM »
Congratulations on your First Immortal!
The writing career is tough, but Klara jumped all the hurdles with an infectious alacrity. She totally deserves to rest on her laurels, or rather her beloved couch. The titles of her books - inspired by her life experiences, no doubt - had me in stitches several times. I also got accustomed to Klara's inimitable 'voice'.
Thank you for a very pleasant read!  :)

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
Chapter 37: Rikard becomes a YA
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2012, 07:19:55 AM »
The days after eating ambrosia was pleasant. I hung out with Agnes doing one of our favorite things - reading books! I had Sylvester stop by at the bookstore on his way home from Cari's house to get us some new volumes. (He's been spending a lot of time with Cari lately.)

I also spent quality time with my husband, who tells me I'm still as hot as I was in that photo. Really it's so sweet of him!

Agnes and Chris are spending as much time together as possible as well. Taking every day as the gift it is when you don't have an immortal lifespan.

Rikard's YA birthday was a cheerful celebration. I saw Agnes wipe away a tear of happiness for being able to be with him on this day. She's so proud of her youngest being all grown up.

He's really good looking, well Selma has great taste. He decided to wear gardening clothes to show his interest in the gardening profession (I guess VJ will have a protege). His traits are friendly, loves the outdoors, family oriented, green thumb and gatherer.

As soon as we sat down for cake he and VJ immediately started to talk shop. I don't think anyone minded, it was only family around after all (including VJ brother Mirja who we all try to include as much as possible).

After the cake Emelie and Mirja hung out singing karaoke until late in the evening. It made me happy to see my youngest enjoying herself some. She's a lot like me, preferring her own company - I wish she'll get a job that'll let her socialize with people, maybe have a few coworkers. That'll be god for her I think. It will also let her have a life outside this house.

I know I and Selma will live here forever and Emelie can't move because of the rules - but I'd like for her to achieve something with her life, not just hang around at home thinking she has to help out.

With so many elders in the house we decided to buy a rocking chair since it's a perfect place to take naps. Personally I think it looks a bit like a throne. From it I shall rule my kingdom (don't tell anyone I said that, it just slipped out - honestly!).

As night fell me and VJ went outside to watch the stars.

Klara: Where did Rickard go?
VJ: I gave him a job to do.
Klara: Really? On his birthday? Couldn't you have left it till tomorrow at least?
VJ: Why? If he's thinking about marrying my Selmaboo he's got to prove himself worthy.
Klara: Rikard doesn't have to prove a thing to you. Selma needs some one like Rikard, a little more grounded.
VJ: Just like you need me you mean?
Klara: I don't need any man, I just keep you around because you're good looking.
VJ:Really?
Klara: Of course not silly. You know you mean the world to me.

Rikard didn't get to bed until after three in the morning. (VJ and I were still up, guess what we were doing?)

But before he went to bed Rikard planned his wardrobe. Here it is.

SimBlip

Re: The Aurora Immortal Dynasty - Chapter 37: Rikard becomes a YA
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2012, 07:38:18 AM »
I love bookworms. They are so easy to please. Is Klara a member of the bookclub?
Happy birthday, Rikard!
He'll max gardening in no time with that many plants to look after.

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
Chapter 38: The girls YA birthday
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2012, 07:41:59 AM »
Love was in the air the next morning.

Cari and Sylvester had actually agreed to spend the day at the house. Not that they really interacted with anyone but each other.

Since she was the oldest Agnes called dibs on the throne rocking chair, and I let her since I would be the oldest for a long time to come.

Then it was time for my girls to enter the next stage of their life. I almost can't believe that I managed to become immortal before their birthday.

As the oldest Selma blew out her candles first and once the sparkels stopped, it was like looking in a mirror. She even had my hairstyle. It was a bit disconcerting.

Next it was my Emelies turn. I could hear her wisper "please not the mom hair, please, please, pretty please". I must confess I was a bit insulted (I look awesome in this hair!) And as soon as her spin was through - what did I see? My hair.

Below you'll see the pictures of the girls in first my hairstyle and later their own. Selma really is eerily similar to me when I first came to Sunset Valley.

Selma has the diciplined, brave, adventurous, good sense of humor and schmoozer traits.
Emelie has the genius, neurotic, artistic, savvy sculptor and proper traits.

When it came to wardrobe, the girls kept their favorite colors from earlier days. Selma finding a more sporty look, and Emelie keeping it elegant. Selma finally got a pair of heels!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
Re: The Aurora Immortal Dynasty - Chapter 38: The girls YA birthday
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2012, 07:45:47 AM »
@ SimBlip

Klara is not part of the book club yet. I plan to have her join now that she has time for actually reading books rather than just writing them.

As for gardening. VJ gave Rikard about 80 apples to plant. By the time he went to bed he was lvl 2 already.

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
Chapter 39: A guest in the night
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »
That night a burglar came to the house. Maybe he was lured by the open gate (but it's been open for weeks and we haven't seen one before) or he had heard rumors we knew the secret of immortality. 

What he clearly had not bothered to find out was that we had a burglar alarm put up by the front gate. This distracted the burglar so much that he didn't even make it in the house. Unfortunately it also woke us all up.

Agnes was so annoyed that she followed the burglar all the way to the police car lecturing him.

The police officer, after briefly searching the house, started flirting with Emelie. She was less than impressed. Especially since she wanted to focus on her painting when she was already up.

So my girls birthday got a little extra drama added at the end.

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
Chapter 40: A triple graduation
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2012, 08:49:30 AM »
Nex morning we all relaxed and enjoyed the fact that graduation meant a new start.

Emelie took the time to read some of my romance novels. She especially enjoyed Devil's Bride, said it gave her insights into the early days before she was born. Sometimes I wonder if I may have been influenced a bit much by what happened around me while I was writing. (As a precaution I hid the books I wrote before I realized that me and VJ were perfect for each other. No point in confusing the girls, and if I can avoid that uncomfortable conversation, I will.)

Selma was dancing in my study. She calls it the "smustle", apparently it's all the rage. Maybe I'll learn it sometime.

Everyone piled out and jumped into cabs to ride downtown. I was very excited! I hadn't been to Sylvesters graduation ceremony, so this was a first for me too.

Selma as the joker she is decided that wearing a normal cap wasn't progressive enough.

Rikard graduated with honor and was voted most likely to have a big family. (We'll see about that).

Selma was voted class clown and also graduated with honor. Emelie was Valedictorian and voted most likely to take over the world.

When we got home VJ started help Selma gain some Martial Arts experience. I was not present while they were sparing.

They can try and convince me as much as they want that it's not violent - but I would disagree. I may accept her choice, but that doesn't mean I have to approve.

After applying for at job at the hospital, Emelie went home to take a nap. Guess what? I was taking one too.

After the sparing VJ went and monitored Rikard's progress in the garden. He's not letting him do anything but weed for now, says it will build character. Personally I just thinks he enjoys having someone to boss around.

The day had been a success. I felt happy and as I was doing my usual sweep of all the sinks (have to check if they are leaking) it dawned on me. I was done. I had done everything I had set out to do, my girls were grown up and I had reached immortality. The future of this dynasty was no longer in my hands. Sure, I would not let go of it completely, but it would be Selma's job from now on to keep us going. Maybe I should step back and let her handle some of this writing as well?

When I got out of the bathroom Selma, Emelie and VJ were standing there. There is a certain look on a persons face when they are waiting to tell you something they know you'll not like to hear. They were all wearing it.

Here is Semla's updated museum exhibit for her teens.

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
Chapter 41: Postcards and letters
« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2012, 01:16:37 PM »

Hello sweetheart.
Are doing great in Shag Shimla.
Plane ride very comfortable.
Weather is great.
Wish you would have come with us.
Love VJ

Hi Mom!
Daddy said he sent you a postcard yesterday so I thought I'd just send you a quick email with pictures of what has been going on. Emelie is writing a letter as well, so I'll just include the stuff I did.

I started the day with going on an adventure, it was all very exciting until I found out I just had to bike up a mountain. The hill was steep and the view was great.

I was asked to assist the man living at the top of the hill. He was kind of rude to tell you the truth. Kept talking about him firing people if I didn't get something done for him. I was just about to use my Sim Fu skills to put him in my place when I realised he probably knew it better than me. Not that I was scared, I just didn't see the point of fighting  a loosing battle. Besides, I cracked a few jokes and all of a sudden he was real friendly.

Turned out I got to do something excitning anyway. He wanted me to go into a tomb. A real life tomb! It was awesome! I got to disable traps, search for treasure and even dive in deep, deep pool of water. I managed to find a relic and even got a reward! It was like one of the adventures in one of your books. I bet you would have loved it!

After I finished in the tomb I went to the Academy and challenged some people in the Sim Fu tournament. My goal is to reach at least level 3 this trip.

First I met a guy dressed in green. Honestly, I can't remember his name. What matters is I won! Also, I got a new belt! Can't wait to show you when I get home.

Then I was pitted against this really old looking woman. She looked much older than you, even though she was younger? Mom, that ambrosia you're always eating is obviously some powerful stuff.

Hope you are doing OK at home. Say hi to Rikard from me.
Bye!

Hello Selma.
Thank you for your letter and pictures. Don't go on any more adventures! You are lucky you didn't get hurt, and I would like both my daughters to come home without broken limbs. Also, if you ever go into a tomb again always:
A. Have someone with you
B. Inform people of your whereabouts and intentions to go into danger
C. Say no if someone asks you to go into a tomb.
Come home soon.
Your mother

Hello Mother.
I wish you would have come with us, but I understand your hesitation. I was a bit hesitant at first myself, but the journey so far has been good.

Today father and I went to the Academy in the morning. Selma was off who knows where. I suggested we all go together for safety, but father insisted we let Selma go off on her own. Instead we spent a pleasant morning playing chess together.

Father also convinced me to go out of my comfort zone to try my hand at Sim Fu. I DID NOT SPAR with anyone, do not worry. I tried it with the training dummy. In the end I think I was the one feeling like a dummy.

In the afternoon we went down to the market located in the Forbidden City. The architecture is very beautiful and I managed to buy you a number of new books for our library. We also bought some souvenirs such as gold figurines and vases. I think you will like them.

So far this trip has not turned out as bad as I had expected. I miss you a lot.
Your Emelie

Emelie my sweet girl.
I miss you too. Do not let your father or sister convince you to do any more dangerous things. I just learnt that Selma had been in a tomb! If she suggests you go with her I hope you have the presence of mind to say no. At home everything is all right, even if Chris has been acting a bit strange since Agnes passing. I guess we all grieve in different ways.
Take care and come home safe.
Your mother

Hello sweetheart.
The Basecamp is very comfortable.
We have everything we need,
I think you could have enjoyed it here.
Selma is working towards her goal in
the Sim Fu Sparing contest.
I enjoy taking in the sights with Emelie.
Only wish you were here.
Love VJ

Hello Mother.
The one thing I am most happy with on this trip is the fact that me and father have grown closer together. Today he asked me to go on an adventure with him. DO NOT WORRY, there were no tombs or dangerous things of any kind. It was just us doing somethings we had never tried before.

We started with seeing something the savvy sculpturer in me could appreciate, the magnificence of the Terracotta Army.

Then we went, dare I say it, camping. We were to spend the night at a campsite in the mountains. It was a little frightening, but very nice of him to organize. We ate food grilled over an open fire.

Told ghost stories.

And even slept in a tent!

But the best part was surely the bath I got to take once we got back to Basecamp. I am very happy I got to try my hand at camping. But once was enough for me. (Clean at last, clean at last, thank the Watcher I am clean at last).

I miss you mother. We will be home soon and I can share all the other stories of our adventures.
Your Emelie

Hello Emelie.
Camping sounds like a wonderful new experience, not a very comfortable one, but for one night I understand it can have its charm. I am so happy you and your father are growing closer. I am already counting the days till you return home. I miss you all.
Your mother

Hi mom!
Things are going so well for me in the tournament! I won my third spar challenge against another green dressed man. He put up a fight, but after being defeated two times I finally managed to wear him down. I also earned a new belt. And you haven't even seen the last one!

But I finally came up against a contestant I could almost not win over. Later I learned she's rumored to be the fastest rising star in the Sim Fu world. I managed to get lucky beating her this time, but when I go back here to fight for the title of Grand Master, I really have to be stronger and faster than ever.

Dad was a great sprot, always helping me out to spar between tournament sparing games. He's great at encouraging me to fight the pain.

I managed to get a thrid, THIRD, new belt. But by then the competition was to strong and I wasn't able to win any more games. I'm so motivated to train hard when I get home though.

Say hi to everyone from me, especially Rikard.
Hugs Selma

Hello Selma.
I am very proud of you for your achievements. I just wish you wouldn't have to fight so many people. Please come home now. I'm starting to worry about you all, and don't want to hear any bad news about plane rides.
Your mother

Hello mother
I am just writing to tell you we are on our way home a little earlier than expected. It seems like Selma doesn't want to stay any longer since she says she has to train before going back to the tournament. This is good news to me since I have become increasingly annoyed about the state of the Basecamp we are staying at.

Appliances of all kinds seem to be breaking at an alarming speed. I have many beds to make every day since the adventurers wont do it themselves and there doesn't seem to be a maid service in this country. I have to clean toilets and showers, as well as, mop the floors. Worst of all - father and Selma wont help. When I bring it up they tell me to leave it be, just ignore the dirt. Oh mother, how I miss you!

I have actually managed to teach myself several levels of handiness from just doing rudimentary repairs around this so called Basecamp. The most complicated one being an upgrade to the trash compactor. Maybe I should do a similar one at home.

While I have been working and Selma fighting father has spent a disturbing amount of time learning a new game he calls rock, paper, scissor. He tells me we should all learn it and have tournaments of our own. I hope you talk him out of this idea.
Your Emelie

Hello sweetheart.
Trip has been great.
Are coming home early.
Bought lots of great souvenirs.
See you soon.
Love VJ

Offline Snufflesxx

• Sherlockian
  • Watcher
  • Every puzzle has an answer
Re: The Aurora Immortal Dynasty - Chapter 41: Postcards and letters
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2012, 03:41:01 PM »
That was one big chapter! So sad the hear the news about Agnes  :'(
** My Stories **

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research." - Sherlock

SimBlip

« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2012, 06:36:18 PM »
So sad the hear the news about Agnes  :'(
Same here. The news about Agnes gave me a shock.

Very nice updates! That silly burglar... it was good to see Agnes do her bit.
I loved the correspondence flowing back and forth too.

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2012, 08:28:33 PM »
I was sorry about Agnes too, she had been in the house from the beginning and I had grown a bit attached.

This last chapter might be long, but it was real fun writing. I thought of splitting it up into smaller chunks, but I think it flowed better when it was in one post. And since it didn't go over the screenshot limit I thought Id' keep it that way.

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
Chapter 42: A black day at home
« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2012, 08:09:09 AM »
Hey everyone, this is Selma.

Mom asked me to take over for a while since she's pretty upset about Agnes. She passed away while we were on vacation.  I don't think I've seen mom as upset before, and she's upset about things most days.

Agnes had just slipped away from the pool party they were holding for a few minutes to do some painting and enjoy some peace and quite. When the sparkles got to her. Death came swiftly, and by the time mom had reached the back of the house, she had already dived into her urn. Rikard wasn't in time either. She was 103 days old.

He tells me that afterwards Grim called uncle Chris over for a chat.

He wasn't able to overhear their exact discussion, but heard something about "the madness of the moon" coming to get his father.

"I see a great darkness in your future" was Grim's parting words. We don't know what he meant, and Chris has refused to talk about what anything to do with Grim. He has however seemed like a different person since the incident.

Mom mentioned something about plans for a private graveyard, but she hasn't been completely coherent either. We have placed Agnes grave out by the pond for now. I think we all feel the need to have her close. Besides, uncle Chris spends most of his time there - so he'll still get to be close to his wife.

The only downside is that he is dealing with his grief by asking every guest that comes to the house to fish with him in honor of of Agnes memory.

The fist thing dad did when we got home was trying to console mom. If you're wondering about his grey hari, well he aged up to an elder. We didn't have a party. No one was feeling like it.

Here are some pictures of dad and his new look. I read you're supposed to show this after every birthday. I wish mom had let me practice this writing thing earlier. It's not really my thing.

I hope my writing will improve in the future. Alos, did you see dads bunny slippers? They're his favorite part of his makeover.

anything