Author Topic: The EtherWalker's Dynasty - Land of Moonlight - Chapter 1 - Throwing Up Sparks  (Read 1909 times)

Offline MissMaths

• Immortal
  • Please call me Alice - it is my name, after all...
Chapters
Prologue - Not Again...
Prologue 2 - Just Call Me A Teddy Bear...
Chapter 1 - Throwing Up Sparks

Glossary
Dark Spirit – A wayward spirit that wishes to regain physical form. Pledged to the EtherKing with unfailing loyalty, even in the event of their demise.
EtherWalkers – spirits of the dead who have the power to direct souls to the Ether. Formed of three classes:
•   Reapers – just your average run-of-the-mill soul-gatherer. Plague of many a Dynasty.
•   Foremen – these act as… well, foremen… over the Reapers. They co-ordinate movements and harvestings. They don’t go themselves, unless dealing with their own kind.
•   Elders – A rare breed of EtherWalker. Awarded this position by being a prestigious supernatural or particularly evil human in life, or born into the job. There are exceptions to this rule, though. Mainly representative, but does help with mass- or difficult harvests. Usually granted great gifts of magic.
EtherKing – an ex-mortal who found out the name of a Reaper and used her body and powers as a springboard into the centre of the Ether. Rules through fear, but is terrified that someone will overthrow him, and so attacks and eliminates any conceivable threat.
Ether – a place of many names: Heaven, Hell, the Other Place, the Otherworld, the Underworld… all the same. Resting place of souls after death.
Fae/Faerie – a winged creature with magic. The Fae are mischief makers and pranksters, but they are connected to the earth. Governed by a king or queen.
Hydra Spirit – A Dark Spirit named after Greek Mythology. Even once removed from a host body, a remnant remains and grows to become a fully-fledged spirit again. It is dormant for five days after removing it before regeneration. There is no known way of eliminating it.
Land of Moonlight – The EtherWalker’s name for Moonlight Falls. So called because much of the land (not to mention the people) is governed by the full moon.
Point of Moon’s Apex – a point on the ground above which the moon reaches its highest point. A source of great magical power and a veritable magnet for the supernatural. In Moonlight Falls… 1 South Falls Avenue.
Vessel – A body that’s had its occupying spirit removed. This makes it possible to be possessed by a Dark Spirit and controlled. Killing the Vessel destroys the Dark Spirit.

Immortals

Immortal 1 - Alice
LTW:
Career: Cooking
SuperMax: Cooking
Other Maxes: Alchemy
Building:
Property:
LTRs:
Best Friends:
BlackOps:
Portraits:
Ice Sculptures:
Photographs:

Immortal 2
LTW:
Career:
SuperMax:
Other Maxes:
Building:
Property:
LTRs:
Best Friends:
BlackOps:
Portraits:
Ice Sculptures:
Photographs:

Immortal 3
LTW:
Career:
SuperMax:
Other Maxes:
Building:
Property:
LTRs:
Best Friends:
BlackOps:
Portraits:
Ice Sculptures:
Photographs:

Immortal 4
LTW:
Career:
SuperMax:
Other Maxes:
Building:
Property:
LTRs:
Best Friends:
BlackOps:
Portraits:
Ice Sculptures:
Photographs:

Immortal 5
LTW:
Career:
SuperMax:
Other Maxes:
Building:
Property:
LTRs:
Best Friends:
BlackOps:
Portraits:
Ice Sculptures:
Photographs:

Immortal 6
LTW:
Career:
SuperMax:
Other Maxes:
Building:
Property:
LTRs:
Best Friends:
BlackOps:
Portraits:
Ice Sculptures:
Photographs:

Immortal 7
LTW:
Career:
SuperMax:
Other Maxes:
Building:
Property:
LTRs:
Best Friends:
BlackOps:
Portraits:
Ice Sculptures:
Photographs:

Immortal 8
LTW:
Career:
SuperMax:
Other Maxes:
Building:
Property:
LTRs:
Best Friends:
BlackOps:
Portraits:
Ice Sculptures:
Photographs:

Offline MissMaths

• Immortal
Re: The EtherWalker's Dynasty - Land of Moonlight
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 07:16:07 AM »
Prologue – Not Again…
“You’re having this far too easily. I’ll have to remedy that now. What a beautiful little girl… What did you say her name was? Ivory?
“What…? No! She’s my daughter! You can’t have her! I won’t let you…!”
“Your anger satisfies me. And don’t even think about pulling out your wand! You couldn’t defeat me if your life depended on it. As it very well does.
“I’m not a witch! I’m a –”
“Not any more. I’m stripping you of your powers; no more tricks for you! But, of course, I’ll give you something in return. A wand!”
“But I’m not a witch, I can’t use it!”
“Precisely. You are a witch now, but you have no skill. Become a master of wizardry – choose a path of Light or Darkness, it makes no difference to me – and complete your challenges again.”
“Fine. Can we please just get on with it? *mumbling* They should create a new death. Death by Talking.”
“Would you care to repeat that? I can’t have heard you right, but you seemed to be being quite rude.”
“I said ‘They should create with less paperwork. Death by typing.’ It’s hardly an attractive way to go, don’t you imagine sir?”
“Enough of this. For your impudent lying, your wings will be stripped. You are no longer the only of your kind among the Ether! Your people will never belong here; not while I exist!”
“*mumbling* Better remedy that, then. Isn’t there some kind of ceremony?”
“Repeat what you just said. NOW!”
“I said, ‘Better get on with that, then. Isn’t there some kind of ceremony?’ You know, you tear my wings out, I’m thrown out, etcetera etcetera. Just do it!”
“If you’re so certain… You do realise how much this is going to hurt, of course.”
“Of course, sir. Just tell me; why are you stripping my wings? I could do this as myself.”
“Think about it, you impudent child! Your life would be too long! Oh, and one more thing.”
“What is it.”
“Don’t take that tone with me! For that and that alone, you will see your kind and not be able to join them. You will go to the Land of the Moonlight! And as for that one last thing…”
Uh-oh. This doesn’t look good.
“Your body is, as of now, a vessel.”
“What?! No! That can’t happen! We can’t be possessed!”
And then I can’t speak. My spirit, soul, mind and conscious thought are ripped out through my body’s eyes. I don’t breathe, losing form as unimaginable pain racks my spirit. My body screams, and then its mouth shuts and it stares into the middle distance, blank and unseeing.
And now, I have to watch as a Dark Spirit throws itself into my body in the same way that I exited it. It shudders, and then it walks toward the Time Tunnel that runs through the centre of the Etherworld, its – no, my – wings fluttering slightly. The Dark Spirit has no acclimatisation with wings, and they are held awkwardly, drooping slightly as the Spirit moves. It’s heading toward the portal that allows the Etherwalkers to exit their home. But then I reconsider. It’s heading towards the plateau that lies at the portal’s mouth.
I see my wings torn out, the remnants of my last life and of my parents and of everything I hold dear turning to fairy dust and carried away on the perpetual wind that howls through the Etherworld. My body enters the portal, but is held there by the EtherKing’s will. He speaks to me before I am tugged into the portal.
“Who’s ‘we’ now? ‘We’ has become ‘them’. I’d wish you good luck, but I want you to fail. It helps to reinforce my authority, when such a brilliant young Etherwalker is destroyed.”
I can’t think completely straight, the pain of my spirit held away from my body distorting my thoughts. But I listen anyway, and soon wish I hadn’t.
“Add to that, your essence will give me unimaginable power. I can’t wait!”
And then he releases my body, and I go spiralling down through the portal, tied to my body but separate from it. I feel the Dark Spirit become bewildered, and then furious, as it thinks through what the EtherKing has said. It realises that, if I fail, it is destroyed along with my body. But it can’t act on its knowledge; its will tied to the EtherKing so tightly that it can perform no act of harm against him.
I let my spirit brush against my body, and I feel the Dark Spirit jerk slightly as it realises what I’m trying to do. But being one of the senior Etherwalkers has its perks; I know this pitiless creature’s true name, and so I suck out its personality, soul, spirit, whatever it is you want to call it. I now have control over my body back, but thanks to the EtherKing’s magic, I still cannot fuse body and spirit together.
It looks like I am doomed to live out this Dynasty as a disembodied spirit. Like the Watcher. Of course! I am now my own body’s Watcher! Good grief, this is strange.
As I near my destination, I weave threads of magic together, the very last vestiges of my power, to keep the supernatural from spreading their curses. But I can only get rid of the werewolves before my power is depleted. And I know that I will not regain it until I finish my Dynasty and overthrow the EtherKing.
Oh, that’s just perfect.

This is it, I’m going for HoF. My fourth attempt at a Dynasty, and I really want to finish. It will, however, be slow going: I will have to fit Sims around schoolwork (and as much as I may wish otherwise, schoolwork takes precedence) so posts will be many but still far between. I apologise in advance for any immensely long waits.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrMaths

• NPC
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 08:18:05 AM »
Good work on the start ;) I can't wait for more ;D

Offline Snufflesxx

• Sherlockian
  • Watcher
  • Every puzzle has an answer
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 03:11:12 AM »
Is your founder called Alice?
That's my name  :D
** My Stories **

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research." - Sherlock

Offline MissMaths

• Immortal
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 06:16:54 PM »
Hehe really Snuffles? It's my name too :D

Offline Snufflesxx

• Sherlockian
  • Watcher
  • Every puzzle has an answer
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 11:26:47 AM »
Yup, really  ;)
** My Stories **

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research." - Sherlock

Offline MissMaths

• Immortal
Re: The EtherWalker's Dynasty - Land of Moonlight - Prologue 2
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 02:54:30 PM »
I love the name Alice. Mind you, I might be just a little prejudiced.  (No, really?)
Because of new terminology that will be introduced both now, and in the near and distant future, I am creating a glossary. It’s here.

Prologue 2 - Just Call Me A Teddy Bear...
May I just point out, being a disembodied presence Sucks – so much so that it requires capitalisation to portrays its suckiness. For an EtherWalker who’s been reaping souls for a hundred or so years, having my soul ripped from my body was a new and (must it be said?) unwelcome experience.
Anyway, as my body touches down (or rather touches up) on the Point of Moon’s Apex, I take stock of my surroundings, and groan. The EtherKing really was serious; I’m (or rather my body is) standing on the ultra-huge lot that has nothing on it. I focus my will, drawing an Alchemist station out of the ground, and direct my body over to it.
My body resists.
Wait, what? Now that I destroyed the Dark Spirit, I should have control of my body back, but something has evidently gone wrong. I brush my Aura against that of my body, and feel nothing. My body is testing its will against mine, but it’s hard to have an intellectual challenge when the person you’re challenging is your own. Plus the Vessel tries to tap into my thoughts, like my memories and knowledge and thoughts and desires and pet hates and everything belongs to it. I think that it thinks that it knows that I know that it thinks that what I know, it knows and vice versa. Wait, what?! I’m confusing myself now. From now on, she is Alice and I am Me. Just so we’re clear.
But back to the subject of the revolt of my own body – no wait, Alice – I let my Aura slip back a little, and then I release a bolt of Power, big enough to shatter the mental shield around the Vessel and send it stumbling backwards. (Side note: I really don’t like referring to my body as it – or in the third person at all. First person is much more preferable.) As it regains its balance and stops its head from spinning like a top, I reach forward and once again I touch the outer vestiges of my body’s Aura (just so we’re clear, I’m talking about the Aura that resonates from my body because of my power) with my own, and this time detect a faint whisper, constant and on many different pitches. I know that sound anywhere, and my spirit sinks.
It’s a Hydra Spirit.
Well, I’m stuffed then. Just call me a teddy bear.

Short chapter. I have half a ton of coursework to get through. And besides, I want to see how long I can hold off posting pictures of Alice. :D

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Joanne

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 10:24:47 AM »
I'm looking forward 0toi meet Alice. Excellent writing.

Offline MrMaths

• NPC
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 04:10:53 AM »
Great work Alice! I hope you get more posts done. ;D

Offline MissMaths

• Immortal
Re: The EtherWalker's Dynasty - Land of Moonlight - Chapter 1
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 04:09:14 PM »
Basically, I’ve been playing a few witches just to get used to the idea, and I’ve decided on a couple of changes. Alice now has a LTW of Lifestyle of the Rich and Famous (so I can do it in a matter of days – hehe…), is SuperMaxing Alchemy and using it as her career.
And I finally got Seasons!! Yaayyyyy!! :D So I look forward to snow and ice-skating and snowball fights and all that jazz… :P

Chapter 1 – Throwing Up Sparks
This is Alice. She is comprised of my physical form and a spirit that is pledged to my King, who wants to kill me. But not before he screws me around a little. Of course.

She’s a witch. I used to be a fairy before my wings were torn out, burnt, and the resulting ash spread over the four corners of the Ether by the wind. She’s possessed by a Hydra Spirit. The only way to definitively get rid of it is to destroy the host body, but I’m not about to wander (or should that be float? …or drift? Or… something else??) as a disembodied presence for eternity.
It’s two days before full moon, in the midmorning, when Alice arrives in the Land of Moonlight. My I don’t need to imagine the sound at full moon: the sound of werewolves’ howls echoing off the hills. I’m a Reaper (albeit an Elder) and so I’ve participated in many Reapings, both here and in other places. (By the way, I am the only Reaper Elder that reaps souls by themselves. Something to do with my heritage.)
And so, just to make sure that none of the vampires come and sniff out Death that surrounds Alice like her Aura, I decide that the more of them I cure, the better. The scent of the Ether is like the finest brandy; rich, golden and completely intoxicating to vampires, and to add to that being a faerie (even a temporarily ex-faerie) just piles on more of the irresistible scents. I don’t particularly want to get Alice bitten by a vampire, or a werewolf, for that matter. My spells and my will weren’t enough to stop werewolves from spreading their curse like the disease that it is. I’m going to need some cure elixirs, pronto.

“Mew…?”
I force my spirit back into my body (a temporary measure, of course – it takes not a little constant effort) and turn around.
It’s my cat. As in my cat from the Ether. I reach out with my mind, but feel nothing. Darn it, they even took my Telepathy! *angry face*

She looks at me quizzically, and I say aloud, “He tore my wings out. I lost my Telepathy!” I lean down and stroke her, just like old times…
I decide that I will need some kind of house, so I make a house. …If you can call it that. It doesn’t even have walls! A far cry from my true home…

The sight of a giant empty lot and a few cheapo belongings (I’m living like a hobo, goddarnit!) reminds me that I will require a more attainable source of funds. Hmmm… Who shall have the honour of becoming my sla—err, housemates? The mind drifts to the Crumplebottom sisters. Rich, just like their second cousin (oops, shouldn’t have said that… it’s not common knowledge, you see. ;)) and one of them has a car to sell…

I think then of the Boss’s promise – that I would become a witch. I take out of my pocket an elegant, highly polished wand, and begin an invocation. It’s actually one to create fireworks for faeries, but it didn’t quite work the same way…
But now, I have an idea. The fabled Weather Stone… what if it’s real? I should be able to use it…

I speak the Witches’ incantation, sending out Power in waves. “Audire et obedire. Ego præcipio dominio caelum et mare. Præcipie meo, dabit pluviam terræ, et dabit pluviam furor. Quæ ego præcipio. Sic erit factum est!”
…And nothing happens.
Great.

I’m so sorry it’s taken me this long to get on top of this story, I’ll try and keep it quicker from now on…

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
This story has not been updated in over a year, so I'm moving it to the Graveyard.  If the author wishes to resume the story, you can contact me or another staff member to move it back for you.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests