Author Topic: The Sims 3 Life States Dynasty Challenge  (Read 365832 times)

Offline Wiry

• Watcher
  • Resident Genie Expert, Evil Simlord.
Re: The Sims 3 Life States Dynasty Challenge
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2012, 07:22:52 PM »
Witches can also magically upgrade stuff I believe.
William's Wealth and Power Legacy

Fausta Legacy
*Twitch* GENIES!  *Twitch*
"For if Knowledge is Power, then a god am I!"- The Riddler

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shady eyes* Not me.
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2012, 08:06:37 PM »
  • Witches and Fairies can make upgrades to objects so it's not just a skill based item anymore.   Based on that information, it's ultimately Metro's call and if he wants to include them as an option, I support his decision. 
  • Relics do not count for collections because the items for the mausoleum have to be connected to a skill.  Relics can be picked up by anyone at a relic shop without any skill involved.
Origin ID: Ricalynn
Current Active Stories: Artie's TS4 Dynasty || Grim Rivalries

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2012, 08:23:57 PM »
I just read where someone asked if the first born of the desired supernatural is the next heir, then saw Rica respond affirmatively.  I thought we could choose the heir?  Isn't there an example in the rules that says if twins are born the player can choose which one is the heir?

I'm also surprised that collecting isn't considered a skill for those things that have to come from a skill.  It's in the skill journal, right?  And it has journal challenges.  Again, I thought the rules said that any skill that's in the skill journal will count.  Did I just miss something?
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2012, 08:51:14 PM »
I just read where someone asked if the first born of the desired supernatural is the next heir, then saw Rica respond affirmatively.  I thought we could choose the heir?  Isn't there an example in the rules that says if twins are born the player can choose which one is the heir?

I'm also surprised that collecting isn't considered a skill for those things that have to come from a skill.  It's in the skill journal, right?  And it has journal challenges.  Again, I thought the rules said that any skill that's in the skill journal will count.  Did I just miss something?

For question one, there were two choices that we were given when it came to heirs.  You could have any traits you wanted for spares or you had to have random for everyone.  Since you don't know what life state an infant is until after you choose the traits, you would have to hit random no matter if the child ended up being the heir or a spare.   Metro wanted everyone to have the chance to choose the traits for all spares so we compromised.  However, allowing people to choose traits for spares comes across the problem of when does the decision have to be made when you get the heir.  It was simpler to say that the heir came from the first birth that resulted in a different life state. 

Choosing an heir if there is twins.  Example:  Carina Dreamweaver is a witch and her husband Joe is a werewolf.   Carina & Joe give birth to a witch child named Lessa.   Because you didn't know whether she was a witch or werewolf, her first two traits are random and you get to pick the next three.   Their next birth actually results in twin werewolves - Luke & Leia.   Their first two traits are random because you didn't know if you would get an heir.   Now would be the time to choose which one is.   If we didn't make it from the first birth, you could have technically proceeded to choose Luke & Leia's next three traits and then tried to have more furry nooboos.  The next three single births result in witches who are Neo, Morpheus, & Switch.  Your house is full and you still have to wait to choose your heir because Luke & Leia are no longer eligible.  If you had gone ahead and just chosen Luke or Leia, you would have been able to choose all 5 of Neo, Morpheus & Switch's traits instead of just the last three.  We thought it simpler to just say the first born but the wording is wrong.  It should be the first birth resulting in a different life state to ease confusion and I'm changing it now.   

For your second question, collecting is a skill in that it provides skill challenges for the unique skill challenge requirement.  However, collecting does not have levels and is therefore not an actual skill even if it is in the skill journal.   Using the consignment shop also puts a tab in the skill journal and it does have skill challenges that qualify but it's not a skill either. 

The goal we were reaching for with the 7 items being a product of a skill is we wanted there to be 7 items that were made by the heir from a skill that they knew.   You don't make gems, butterflies, beetles or small pets.   You pick them up.    In the case of board breaking gems, you have to have a certain skill and a skill challenge to actually receive those gems so that's why they count.

thesweetestpea

« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2012, 08:57:44 PM »
So what happens with Sims where the lifestates stack? I think ghost still stacks with any of the other occults. And what do we do if we run across the glitch where we can't get a non-human couple to produce non-human babies?

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2012, 09:05:02 PM »
So what happens with Sims where the lifestates stack? I think ghost still stacks with any of the other occults. And what do we do if we run across the glitch where we can't get a non-human couple to produce non-human babies?

I've heard that a lot of the problems people are having with non human couples having non human babies is partly to do with mods for the most part. 

As for stacking occults - yes a ghost can be another occult.  I know absolutely that a ghost can be a vampire.  If the current heir is the ghost and the second heir is a vampire ghost, it still counts as a different life state because it's a vampire.   The quickest way to get rid of possibly passing down the ghost look again would be to use ambrosia after you've finished your requirements to turn yourself normal if you so choose. 

One of the quickest ways I know of to see if it's a different life state or not is to look at the relationship panel.  Ghosts, IFs and genies don't have a ring around their portrait where as werewolves, fairies, vampires and witches do.  If you're worried about this in regards to picking an heir, I suggest careful planning if possible.  I'm not saying you have to just suggesting it. :-[  No one get mad at me!

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2012, 09:12:22 PM »

For question one, there were two choices that we were given when it came to heirs.  You could have any traits you wanted for spares or you had to have random for everyone.  Since you don't know what life state an infant is until after you choose the traits, you would have to hit random no matter if the child ended up being the heir or a spare.   Metro wanted everyone to have the chance to choose the traits for all spares so we compromised.  However, allowing people to choose traits for spares comes across the problem of when does the decision have to be made when you get the heir.  It was simpler to say that the heir came from the first birth that resulted in a different life state. 

Choosing an heir if there is twins.  Example:  Carina Dreamweaver is a witch and her husband Joe is a werewolf.   Carina & Joe give birth to a witch child named Lessa.   Because you didn't know whether she was a witch or werewolf, her first two traits are random and you get to pick the next three.   Their next birth actually results in twin werewolves - Luke & Leia.   Their first two traits are random because you didn't know if you would get an heir.   Now would be the time to choose which one is.   If we didn't make it from the first birth, you could have technically proceeded to choose Luke & Leia's next three traits and then tried to have more furry nooboos.  The next three single births result in witches who are Neo, Morpheus, & Switch.  Your house is full and you still have to wait to choose your heir because Luke & Leia are no longer eligible.  If you had gone ahead and just chosen Luke or Leia, you would have been able to choose all 5 of Neo, Morpheus & Switch's traits instead of just the last three.  We thought it simpler to just say the first born but the wording is wrong.  It should be the first birth resulting in a different life state to ease confusion and I'm changing it now.   

So, if it's a single birth that's a different state, we have to pick that heir, but if it's multiples we can pick which one?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2012, 09:13:26 PM »
So, if it's a single birth that's a different state, we have to pick that heir, but if it's multiples we can pick which one?

Yes. 

thesweetestpea

« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2012, 09:16:39 PM »
I've heard that a lot of the problems people are having with non human couples having non human babies is partly to do with mods for the most part. 

As for stacking occults - yes a ghost can be another occult.  I know absolutely that a ghost can be a vampire.  If the current heir is the ghost and the second heir is a vampire ghost, it still counts as a different life state because it's a vampire.   The quickest way to get rid of possibly passing down the ghost look again would be to use ambrosia after you've finished your requirements to turn yourself normal if you so choose. 

One of the quickest ways I know of to see if it's a different life state or not is to look at the relationship panel.  Ghosts, IFs and genies don't have a ring around their portrait where as werewolves, fairies, vampires and witches do.  If you're worried about this in regards to picking an heir, I suggest careful planning if possible.  I'm not saying you have to just suggesting it. :-[  No one get mad at me!

I kind of knew some of those problems were mod-related. I have popped one in a game that didn't have Story Progression installed, but maybe with no mods at all it won't be a problem.

As long as it's not a problem if some of the occults stack, I wouldn't be worried. I'd probably let the ghosts do their thing in ghost state myself. The only thing I might advise caution with is that all IF parents pass the IF look to their children, and I don't think the IF trait will stack with any of the other occults. I'm willing to be proved wrong, that's just what I think I remember.

Offline Wiry

• Watcher
  • Resident Genie Expert, Evil Simlord.
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2012, 09:24:28 PM »
IF has a chance to not be propagated to other sims.  I mated an IF with a Genie, Got triplets, One IF, One Genie, and one Normal Sim.
William's Wealth and Power Legacy

Fausta Legacy
*Twitch* GENIES!  *Twitch*
"For if Knowledge is Power, then a god am I!"- The Riddler

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2012, 09:40:20 PM »
I put together a list of careers and the rewards that can be obtained from them:

Acrobat – SimFest trophy, athletic skill certificate
Actor – Actor’s trailer, Simmy, charisma skill certificate
Architect – trophy, key to the city, painting skill certificate
Criminal (Emperor of Evil) – athletic and logic skill certificates
Criminal (Master Thief) – Golden Fox, athletic skill certificates
Culinary – fridge, cooking skill certificate
Director – director’s chair, Simmy, writing and charisma skill certificates
Firefighter – axe, uniform, fire engine, several trophies, wall alarm, athletic and handiness skill certificates
Gardener – trophy, gardening skill certificate
Ghost Hunter – trophy, key to the city, logic skill certificate
Horseman – 9 trophies, riding skill certificate (?)
Inventor – 2 trophies, inventing skill certificate
Journalism – writing and charisma skill certificates
Law Enforcement (DNA Profiler) – police car, laptop, logic and painting skill certificates
Law Enforcement (Super Spy) – police car, logic and athletic skill certificates
Medicine – trophy, key to the city, logic skill certificate
Military – athletic and handiness skill certificates
Music (Hit Movie Composer) – stereo, guitar and logic skill certificates
Nectar Maker – trophy, nectar-making skill certificate
Painter – ribbon, painting skill certificate
Photographer – key to city, photography skill certificate
Private Investigator – frosted door, caseboard, car, 7 trophies, logic skill certificate
Scientist – fishing, gardening and handiness skill certificates
Sculptor – trophy, sculpting skill certificate
Stylist – ribbon, key to city, painting skill certificate

Note:  In order to receive the key to the city, you must show up at the ceremony, for which you’ll get about an hour’s warning.

Careers to avoid:  Business, Education, Magician, Music (Rock Star), Politics, Singer, Sports

I am gradually getting a plan in place.  Question about this list though...  Angler is not listed with trophies or on the list to avoid.  Does it get trophies as a self-employed career (trophy and fishing skill certificate) or is it one of those to avoid as it would only give the fishing skill certificate?

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2012, 09:41:57 PM »
Actually you get a medal for 25000 sold and the fishing skill certificate so it's definitely one to go for.

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2012, 09:47:39 PM »
All right, cool.  I am way too OCD for these challenges sometimes.  I can't start until I have the entire plan mapped out on paper.  ::)

I would say last question but I know better.  ;)  The lifetime happiness rewards can be any available and are not limited to physical objects only, correct?  As long as they are unique to the heir.

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2012, 09:49:34 PM »
I'm here to answer questions so no worries there. 

Any LTR is viable just as long as it's unique to the heirs.   I know you are very thorough and if there are any you're concerned with, it's better to ask now than find out later.

Offline MarianT

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2012, 10:24:36 PM »
Don't know how I missed the Angler -- I'll add it to the list. And we don't get a certificate for the riding skill?
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

thesweetestpea

« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2012, 10:27:58 PM »
Don't know how I missed the Angler -- I'll add it to the list. And we don't get a certificate for the riding skill?

Riding skill certificates appear to be bugged.

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2012, 10:33:07 PM »

Also Writer needs to be added.

I'm here to answer questions so no worries there. 

Any LTR is viable just as long as it's unique to the heirs.   I know you are very thorough and if there are any you're concerned with, it's better to ask now than find out later.

Thanks!  I have actually progressed to the point of making my founder, which will take 15 minutes to make and then 3 hours to name.  ;D  So I might actually get started tomorrow. 

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2012, 10:53:06 PM »
Riding skill certificates appear to be bugged.

So is the alchemist skill unfortunately, in regards to getting a certificate. 

Offline accioxheart

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2012, 12:44:52 AM »
Questions:
1. How about donating 7 perfect fish or 7 perfect fruits/veggies? Seeing as this involves skill to get perfect, I think it's a viable option, but I understand if it's not okay as well.

2. Also, the Daycare career has a daycare van, and I believe that would count as an item from a profession/career, similar to a police car counting...

3. I know life state turning potions are banned, however, can I move a sim in and have them get bitten to create a vampire in order to have them help create the next heir?

4. Similar question as the last, but this is just in regards to spares, if I am strictly having someone in the household as a spare (they will not be bringing in future generations) can I have them get bitten and become a vampire simply because I'd like them alive in my household longer? I guess it's the same as asking if I can use things like ambrosia or young again potion, just to keep them alive and in my household longer to help out making money and such?

Offline Shirin

• Watcher
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2012, 12:47:20 AM »
Question re 7 items:

Can a witch choose to put stuff in from the Conversion Ritual? Like converting 7 fish into 7 insects or 7 seeds?

And while I haven't played with werewolves yet, I understand that they can dig things up like dogs - if yes, could a werewolf choose to display stuff they dug up (like metals or gems)?

Offline Tahilanor

• Llama Wrangler
  • Life is a journey. Enjoy wandering through it!
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2012, 01:19:34 AM »
Is it allowed to play this challenge all the way to the conclusion without writing a story about your SIMS, and still get into the Dynasty Hall of Fame? I've never been able to fully complete a Dynasty (or a legacy, either, come to that) and thought that I would like to play one 'privately' and, if I completed it, start another and then create a story to go with my second attempt.

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2012, 01:34:42 AM »
Questions:
1. How about donating 7 perfect fish or 7 perfect fruits/veggies? Seeing as this involves skill to get perfect, I think it's a viable option, but I understand if it's not okay as well.

2. Also, the Daycare career has a daycare van, and I believe that would count as an item from a profession/career, similar to a police car counting...

3. I know life state turning potions are banned, however, can I move a sim in and have them get bitten to create a vampire in order to have them help create the next heir?

4. Similar question as the last, but this is just in regards to spares, if I am strictly having someone in the household as a spare (they will not be bringing in future generations) can I have them get bitten and become a vampire simply because I'd like them alive in my household longer? I guess it's the same as asking if I can use things like ambrosia or young again potion, just to keep them alive and in my household longer to help out making money and such?

1.  When Teresa and I were talking about possible items for the 7 items, she included fish and plants in her list and I agreed to it.  I would suggest mounting the fish though since they go bad. 

2. That's fine.  Remember you'll still need a second one and daycare doesn't actually require a skill so you couldn't really use one as the second item, so you'd need a second job to get another reward.

3.  You can move in the future spouse/partner to bring in the next generation whenever you want.  They do not need to be the life state you want them to be when you move them in.  Remember that the next heir can't be tried for until the current one finishes the 7 tasks.

4.  This is covered in the rules under Extending Life.

Question re 7 items:

Can a witch choose to put stuff in from the Conversion Ritual? Like converting 7 fish into 7 insects or 7 seeds?

And while I haven't played with werewolves yet, I understand that they can dig things up like dogs - if yes, could a werewolf choose to display stuff they dug up (like metals or gems)?

Werewolves can hunt for items and dig them up.  However, their hunting ability and a witch's ability to convert things do not fall under items that can be produced to cover the 7 items needed.   

For the 7 items, we're talking about an actual skill in the skill journal with 10 levels that can produce something to be placed in the mausoleum.   When Metro wakes up his opinion may differ but as far as I can tell the items are only supposed to come from actual skills.  That's why we don't allow items from collecting.

Is it allowed to play this challenge all the way to the conclusion without writing a story about your SIMS, and still get into the Dynasty Hall of Fame? I've never been able to fully complete a Dynasty (or a legacy, either, come to that) and thought that I would like to play one 'privately' and, if I completed it, start another and then create a story to go with my second attempt.

A story is not a requirement for HoF status.  You can see examples of this on the Dynasty Hall of Fame where some players just posted a thread where they put each immortal (for the immortal dynasty) and all their requirements but never actually told any type of storyline beyond just the base information needed.  We believe in the honor system so since you're not showing a story when you tell us you've completed it and sent Metro the PM, we'll believe that you did everything by the book.   

Good luck with your attempt and the four babies!

Offline accioxheart

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2012, 01:43:26 AM »
Thanks Rica :)

Offline Tahilanor

• Llama Wrangler
  • Life is a journey. Enjoy wandering through it!
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2012, 02:13:34 AM »
A story is not a requirement for HoF status.  You can see examples of this on the Dynasty Hall of Fame where some players just posted a thread where they put each immortal (for the immortal dynasty) and all their requirements but never actually told any type of storyline beyond just the base information needed.  We believe in the honor system so since you're not showing a story when you tell us you've completed it and sent Metro the PM, we'll believe that you did everything by the book.   

Good luck with your attempt and the four babies!

That's good to know! Thanks.  :)

Offline Shirin

• Watcher
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2012, 02:25:04 AM »
Thanks, Rica :)

anything