Author Topic: The Sims 3 Life States Dynasty Challenge  (Read 898176 times)

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
Re: The Sims 3 Life States Dynasty Challenge
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2012, 04:39:24 PM »
All right, so collecting doesn't count, and the objects don't need to have a value so chemistry potions can count. 

So, by my count, we have 12 skills that produce objects.  But those skills have to remain unique so two heirs can't use the same skill - one for a career and the other to produce objects since this will most likely result in an overlap of challenges.  My spreadsheet is growing as I work through which skills and careers can be combined and which ones exclude other ones.  :o
2024 Tournament: Join the Fun!
My Tournament Updates: Coming 2024
Love My Sims: Completing challenges and legacies since May 7, 2007

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2012, 04:43:08 PM »
Well two heirs can have the same skills.   They just can't share skill challenges and they have to produce different items for their mausoleum.    I've maxed skills without fulfilling the skill challenges before and since we're not taking score - these items don't have to be high value unless you want them to be.

Skill Challenges to be unique do also include collecting challenges and consignment challenges so don't forget those. 

Edit: I have spoken to Metro. 

Vacation works this way.   Three heirs go to China for the first time.  They spend three days there.   At the end of the vacation they have each used three of their days so they each only have four left.  So it's 7 days of vacation per heir total.   Another heir cannot use the vacation days of someone else.   

As for career rewards and 7 skill objects - Equestrian trophies are going to be the only ones that can count for both.  However, you have to have 9 trophies in the mausoleum if you do this.   For every other item in the game, career rewards do not count towards the 7 items that an heir must leave as a product of their skill.   We're allowing the equestrian race trophies to count for both to give you guys more options to work with.
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline uponthewaters

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2012, 07:07:15 PM »
Do upgraded appliances (stoves, showers, etc.) count for the 7 skill objects?

Also for the 5k wishes, can "marry X" count more than once?

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2012, 07:18:47 PM »
As for "marry x", if the name is different, that should count. However, "get married" would count only once, as the wording would be the same.

I have a question about relics. Do they count as a collection?
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2012, 07:20:06 PM »
Do upgraded appliances (stoves, showers, etc.) count for the 7 skill objects?

Unless Rica feels otherwise, I am saying yes because only a Sim with the Handiness skill can upgrade objects. Granted, the objects were not created from scratch like a painting or a sculpture, but still...your Sim is transforming something because of skill.

Also for the 5k wishes, can "marry X" count more than once?

Yes, provided the title is different. So, you could not have Marry Gunther Goth two different times because the wish title is identical, but you could count Marry Gunther Goth and Marry Christopher Steel.

Offline Wiry

• Watcher
  • Resident Genie Expert, Evil Simlord.
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2012, 07:22:52 PM »
Witches can also magically upgrade stuff I believe.
William's Wealth and Power Legacy

Fausta Legacy
*Twitch* GENIES!  *Twitch*
"For if Knowledge is Power, then a god am I!"- The Riddler

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2012, 08:06:37 PM »
  • Witches and Fairies can make upgrades to objects so it's not just a skill based item anymore.   Based on that information, it's ultimately Metro's call and if he wants to include them as an option, I support his decision. 
  • Relics do not count for collections because the items for the mausoleum have to be connected to a skill.  Relics can be picked up by anyone at a relic shop without any skill involved.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2012, 08:23:57 PM »
I just read where someone asked if the first born of the desired supernatural is the next heir, then saw Rica respond affirmatively.  I thought we could choose the heir?  Isn't there an example in the rules that says if twins are born the player can choose which one is the heir?

I'm also surprised that collecting isn't considered a skill for those things that have to come from a skill.  It's in the skill journal, right?  And it has journal challenges.  Again, I thought the rules said that any skill that's in the skill journal will count.  Did I just miss something?
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2012, 08:51:14 PM »
I just read where someone asked if the first born of the desired supernatural is the next heir, then saw Rica respond affirmatively.  I thought we could choose the heir?  Isn't there an example in the rules that says if twins are born the player can choose which one is the heir?

I'm also surprised that collecting isn't considered a skill for those things that have to come from a skill.  It's in the skill journal, right?  And it has journal challenges.  Again, I thought the rules said that any skill that's in the skill journal will count.  Did I just miss something?

For question one, there were two choices that we were given when it came to heirs.  You could have any traits you wanted for spares or you had to have random for everyone.  Since you don't know what life state an infant is until after you choose the traits, you would have to hit random no matter if the child ended up being the heir or a spare.   Metro wanted everyone to have the chance to choose the traits for all spares so we compromised.  However, allowing people to choose traits for spares comes across the problem of when does the decision have to be made when you get the heir.  It was simpler to say that the heir came from the first birth that resulted in a different life state. 

Choosing an heir if there is twins.  Example:  Carina Dreamweaver is a witch and her husband Joe is a werewolf.   Carina & Joe give birth to a witch child named Lessa.   Because you didn't know whether she was a witch or werewolf, her first two traits are random and you get to pick the next three.   Their next birth actually results in twin werewolves - Luke & Leia.   Their first two traits are random because you didn't know if you would get an heir.   Now would be the time to choose which one is.   If we didn't make it from the first birth, you could have technically proceeded to choose Luke & Leia's next three traits and then tried to have more furry nooboos.  The next three single births result in witches who are Neo, Morpheus, & Switch.  Your house is full and you still have to wait to choose your heir because Luke & Leia are no longer eligible.  If you had gone ahead and just chosen Luke or Leia, you would have been able to choose all 5 of Neo, Morpheus & Switch's traits instead of just the last three.  We thought it simpler to just say the first born but the wording is wrong.  It should be the first birth resulting in a different life state to ease confusion and I'm changing it now.   

For your second question, collecting is a skill in that it provides skill challenges for the unique skill challenge requirement.  However, collecting does not have levels and is therefore not an actual skill even if it is in the skill journal.   Using the consignment shop also puts a tab in the skill journal and it does have skill challenges that qualify but it's not a skill either. 

The goal we were reaching for with the 7 items being a product of a skill is we wanted there to be 7 items that were made by the heir from a skill that they knew.   You don't make gems, butterflies, beetles or small pets.   You pick them up.    In the case of board breaking gems, you have to have a certain skill and a skill challenge to actually receive those gems so that's why they count.

thesweetestpea

« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2012, 08:57:44 PM »
So what happens with Sims where the lifestates stack? I think ghost still stacks with any of the other occults. And what do we do if we run across the glitch where we can't get a non-human couple to produce non-human babies?

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2012, 09:05:02 PM »
So what happens with Sims where the lifestates stack? I think ghost still stacks with any of the other occults. And what do we do if we run across the glitch where we can't get a non-human couple to produce non-human babies?

I've heard that a lot of the problems people are having with non human couples having non human babies is partly to do with mods for the most part. 

As for stacking occults - yes a ghost can be another occult.  I know absolutely that a ghost can be a vampire.  If the current heir is the ghost and the second heir is a vampire ghost, it still counts as a different life state because it's a vampire.   The quickest way to get rid of possibly passing down the ghost look again would be to use ambrosia after you've finished your requirements to turn yourself normal if you so choose. 

One of the quickest ways I know of to see if it's a different life state or not is to look at the relationship panel.  Ghosts, IFs and genies don't have a ring around their portrait where as werewolves, fairies, vampires and witches do.  If you're worried about this in regards to picking an heir, I suggest careful planning if possible.  I'm not saying you have to just suggesting it. :-[  No one get mad at me!

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2012, 09:12:22 PM »

For question one, there were two choices that we were given when it came to heirs.  You could have any traits you wanted for spares or you had to have random for everyone.  Since you don't know what life state an infant is until after you choose the traits, you would have to hit random no matter if the child ended up being the heir or a spare.   Metro wanted everyone to have the chance to choose the traits for all spares so we compromised.  However, allowing people to choose traits for spares comes across the problem of when does the decision have to be made when you get the heir.  It was simpler to say that the heir came from the first birth that resulted in a different life state. 

Choosing an heir if there is twins.  Example:  Carina Dreamweaver is a witch and her husband Joe is a werewolf.   Carina & Joe give birth to a witch child named Lessa.   Because you didn't know whether she was a witch or werewolf, her first two traits are random and you get to pick the next three.   Their next birth actually results in twin werewolves - Luke & Leia.   Their first two traits are random because you didn't know if you would get an heir.   Now would be the time to choose which one is.   If we didn't make it from the first birth, you could have technically proceeded to choose Luke & Leia's next three traits and then tried to have more furry nooboos.  The next three single births result in witches who are Neo, Morpheus, & Switch.  Your house is full and you still have to wait to choose your heir because Luke & Leia are no longer eligible.  If you had gone ahead and just chosen Luke or Leia, you would have been able to choose all 5 of Neo, Morpheus & Switch's traits instead of just the last three.  We thought it simpler to just say the first born but the wording is wrong.  It should be the first birth resulting in a different life state to ease confusion and I'm changing it now.   

So, if it's a single birth that's a different state, we have to pick that heir, but if it's multiples we can pick which one?

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2012, 09:13:26 PM »
So, if it's a single birth that's a different state, we have to pick that heir, but if it's multiples we can pick which one?

Yes. 

thesweetestpea

« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2012, 09:16:39 PM »
I've heard that a lot of the problems people are having with non human couples having non human babies is partly to do with mods for the most part. 

As for stacking occults - yes a ghost can be another occult.  I know absolutely that a ghost can be a vampire.  If the current heir is the ghost and the second heir is a vampire ghost, it still counts as a different life state because it's a vampire.   The quickest way to get rid of possibly passing down the ghost look again would be to use ambrosia after you've finished your requirements to turn yourself normal if you so choose. 

One of the quickest ways I know of to see if it's a different life state or not is to look at the relationship panel.  Ghosts, IFs and genies don't have a ring around their portrait where as werewolves, fairies, vampires and witches do.  If you're worried about this in regards to picking an heir, I suggest careful planning if possible.  I'm not saying you have to just suggesting it. :-[  No one get mad at me!

I kind of knew some of those problems were mod-related. I have popped one in a game that didn't have Story Progression installed, but maybe with no mods at all it won't be a problem.

As long as it's not a problem if some of the occults stack, I wouldn't be worried. I'd probably let the ghosts do their thing in ghost state myself. The only thing I might advise caution with is that all IF parents pass the IF look to their children, and I don't think the IF trait will stack with any of the other occults. I'm willing to be proved wrong, that's just what I think I remember.

Offline Wiry

• Watcher
  • Resident Genie Expert, Evil Simlord.
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2012, 09:24:28 PM »
IF has a chance to not be propagated to other sims.  I mated an IF with a Genie, Got triplets, One IF, One Genie, and one Normal Sim.
William's Wealth and Power Legacy

Fausta Legacy
*Twitch* GENIES!  *Twitch*
"For if Knowledge is Power, then a god am I!"- The Riddler