Author Topic: Medley Dynasty, the Third (Week Twenty-Nine)  (Read 22951 times)

Offline Lasnien

• Townie
Medley Dynasty, the Third (Week Twenty-Nine)
« on: September 29, 2012, 11:20:00 PM »
So, third time's the charm? Here is the family tree, including both previous attempts. Spoiler alerts apply, of course, since I tend to play ahead. Should anyone care to read the backstory, part one can be found here, and part two is here.

Chapter Listing
Prologue
Week One
Week Two
Week Three, Part 1
Week Three, Part 2
Week Four
Week Five
Week Six
Week Seven Isabella's Immortality
Week Eight
Week Nine
Week Ten
Week Eleven
Week Twelve
Week Thirteen
Week Fourteen Hyacinth's Immortality
Week Fifteen
Week Sixteen
Week Seventeen
Week Eighteen
Week Nineteen
Week Twenty
Week Twenty-One Garret's Immortality
Week Twenty-Two, part 1
Week Twenty-Two, part 2
Week Twenty-Three
Week Twenty-Four
Week Twenty-Five
Weeks Twenty-Six and Twenty-Seven
Week Twenty-Eight
Week Twenty-Nine Finn's Immortality

Offline Lasnien

• Townie
Re: Medley Dynasty, the Third
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 11:20:22 PM »
Immortal Statistics

Generation 1: Isabella Medley - Immortalized Week 7, Day 3 at the age of 77
Brave, Loves the Outdoors, Gatherer, Green Thumb, Friendly
Sagittarius
LTW: Perfect Garden
Career: Science
Supermax: Gardening
Building: Isabella's Groceries (Formerly Goody's)
Property: Isabella's Lakeside Retreat
LTRs: Super Green Thumb, No Bills Ever, Dusty Old Lamp
Black Ops: Photo Contest; Uncommonly Good; Visa Photograph; Nourishment for Herbivores; Fix It!; Outstandingly Rare
Museum: YA portrait, sculpture, photo; Adult portrait, sculpture, photo; Elder portrait, sculpture, photo
Best Friends: Piper Diwan, Zahra Diwan, Vivienne Vasquez, Naomi Nita,  Nicole Damico, Sahan Diwan

Generation 2: Hyacinth Medley - Immortalized Week 14, Day 1 at the age of 74
Excitable, Good, Bookworm, Genius, Workaholic
Taurus
LTW: World-Renowned Surgeon
Career: Medicine
Supermax: Logic
Building: Hyacinth's Memorial Hospital
Property: Hyacinth's Community Library
LTRs: Bookshop Bargainer, Body Sculptor, Inheritance
Black Ops: Fixing the Celestial Slump, A Little Give and Take, Bad Medical Cliques, Riddle War in China, Shifting Responsibilities, Neighborhood Outreach
Museum: Toddler portrait, sculpture, photo; Child portrait, sculpture, photo; Teen portrait, sculpture, photo; YA portrait, sculpture, photo; Adult portrait, sculpture, photo; Elder portrait, sculpture, photo
Best Friends: Richard Irwin, Ariel Medley, Sandra Diwan, Lionel Lancaster, Jaycen Hendrix, Addison Ross

Generation 3: Garret Medley - Immortalized Week 21, Day 7 at the age of 73
Athletic, Disciplined, Adventurous, Brave, Lucky
Pisces
LTW: Physical Perfection
Career: Criminal
Supermax: Martial Arts
Building: The Warehouse
Property: Gym
LTRs: Learned Relic Hunter, Fireproof Homestead, Collection Helper
Black Ops: A Package for You, Push It!, Simoleons Under the Table, Chinese Delivery, Secret Techniques, Thief Like There's No Tomorrow
Museum: Toddler portrait, sculpture, photo; Child portrait, sculpture, photo; Teen portrait, sculpture, photo; YA portrait, sculpture, photo; Adult portrait, sculpture, photo; Elder portrait, sculpture, photo
Best Friends: Yuna Tanner, Kinslee Hudson, Cricket Irwin, Scarlet Vandeen, Emi Irwin,  Irving Randall

Generation 4: Finn Medley - Immortalized Week 29, Day 1 at the age of 76
Good, Friendly, Snob, Charismatic, Schmoozer, Party Animal, Irresistable
Pisces
LTW: Leader of the Free World
Career: Politics
Supermax: Nectar Making
Building: Sahara Corporate Headquarters
Property: Paint a Desert Art Gallery
LTRs: Legendary Host, No Jealousy, Fertility Treatment
Black Ops: The Business of Documentation, You Really Mean "Yes", Commissioned Street Art, As a Leader Should (In China); In the News Tonight; Foreign Affairs
Best Friends: Darrick Shaw, Abrielle King, Darleen Matlapin, Mariana Matlapin, Ezekiel Reid, Hanson Gilbert

Generation 5: Emily Medley
Eccentric, Excitable, Good Sense of Humor, Handy, Easily Impressed
Taurus
LTW: Become an Astronaut
Career: Military
Supermax: Inventing
Building: Area 52 Test Labs
Property: Sport Fishing

LTRs: Efficient Inventor, Hover Bed
Black Ops:
Best Friends:

Generation 6: Dominic Medley
Couch Potato, Good
Libra
LTW:
Career:
Supermax:
Building:
Property:
LTRs:
Black Ops:
Best Friends:

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Lasnien

• Townie
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 11:20:44 PM »
A voice cried out in the darkness, “Mi! Take the babies and run! You've gotta get out while you still can!”

My eyes opened, and I saw a man. He looked like a pale, blonde version of myself, and it felt like I should know him. Behind him stood a Chinese woman, her black hair cut short and curled. Through the bars (Bars? Why am I behind bars?) I could see a room with grey striped wallpaper, and there was orange light flickering through the doorway. The man walked over to me and leaned over to pick me up (Must be a crib.); he crooned soothing nonsense in my ear as he rested me comfortably on his hip. The Chinese woman held a small crying bundle close while she wrapped a long scarf around herself to hold it in place.

“You know what to do, Mi,” the man's voice rumbled beside me. “You're not of the bloodline, so you should be able to escape. Gram got away the first time, so hopefully she can too.” The man held me tighter for a few seconds, then kissed my brow. “Grow up safe, my darling Isabella. When the time comes, you'll know what to do.”

I woke with a start, still trembling from the fear that always grips me when I have that particular nightmare. Nothing about it has ever varied, and I've always wondered whether it's truly just a dream or perhaps an early memory.

My name is Isabella. I was adopted as a toddler by an older couple who had never been able to have a child of their own. Mom and Dad told me as soon as I was able to understand that I wasn't their biological child, though it was pretty obvious from my appearance that I couldn't belong to them. Mom looks a bit like a porcelain doll with her pink-pale skin and gorgeous red ringlets, and Dad has the sandy hair and perpetual tan of a beach bum. I, on the other hand, have skin the color of milk chocolate with jet black hair.

There is one thing I've gotten from my parents: they taught me witchcraft from a young age, believing that having something that important in common with them would help me feel more like I belonged.

I've had a happy childhood here. When I begged for a puppy, they obliged and insisted that I be the one to care for her, especially after the newness of Lola had worn off. They shipped me off to Dribbledine Academy when I believed with all my heart that I wanted to be a sports superstar, then convinced me to stick it out when I called home, crying that all the sports were just too darn hard. “Nothing worth doing is going to be easy, sweetheart,” my mother told me. “If you just quit now, when it starts getting a little difficult, how will you learn to handle yourself when life gets really hard?” So, I stuck it out and graduated last week. This is where things started to go haywire.

As the taxi pulled up in front of my parents' house, I could see them on the front porch talking with someone I didn't know. From the street, all I could tell was that she had short black hair and her clothes had a foreign cut. As I got closer, I thought she looked Chinese. Time seemed to stand still as she slowly turned towards me. My breath caught in my throat when I saw the recognition in her eyes, and then she spoke: “Ah, here she is now. We would like to speak to her alone, if we could.”

My throat began working again, and my eyes locked on hers as I croaked out, “Mi?”

I thought I saw the hint of a smile at the corner of her mouth as she replied, “Yes, you.” She looked to my parents, and it felt as if my eyes were dragged along with hers. My parents were beyond pale, hands clasping each other's as if that was all that held them in place. “May we? No harm will come to her, we promise.” My father nodded his head once, sharply, then turned and led Mom back into the house. When the door clicked shut, she spoke without turning to look at me, “No one has called us Mi in a very long time, child. Where did you hear that?”

She turned to look at me when I didn't answer after a moment. Her face was softer now, and I could see the beginnings of tears at the corners of her eyes. “It's a dream I've had since I was small. You were in it, and a man that looks a lot like me. It... it's not really a dream, is it?”

Her head shook slowly as she took a step towards me. “No, child. We have nightmares of that night, too. Our proper name is Mihuo Zhi Medley, and we were something of an aunt to you when you were a baby. Not related by blood, perhaps, but the bonds of love tied us to your family.” She smiled brightly for a moment. “Your father taught us to talk, in fact.”

Something about her speech tugged at the edges of my mind. “Why do you keep saying 'we?' Is there someone else here?”

“Just me, myself and I, little one. We have always spoken this way, and there are always those who call us insane for it. And perhaps you will think us insane when we finish speaking here. There is a very long story you must hear, and then you must make a difficult decision regarding the rest of your life, and the lives of your descendants.”

We sat in the rocking chairs on the front porch, and Mihuo told me about the Immortal Dynasty that my great-great-great-grandmother had started so long ago, how my great-grandmother had escaped from Appaloosa Plains when everything went so very wrong. She told me about my more immediate family in Starlight Shores, and how a wandering gypsy caravan had ruined everything there. I was only a toddler, and there was some kind of loophole in the contract that allows the youngest member of the bloodline to escape in the case of catastrophic failure. Unlike Fiona, though, I couldn't make the run myself. I needed someone to help me, and that someone had been Mihuo.

When she finished speaking, we both sat and rocked for some time, giving me some much-needed room to think. “So, what does all this really mean? Is there something I need to do?”

Mihuo dropped her gaze to her lap, then answered, “In theory, it means that you have a limited time until the Grim Reaper comes to seize you to join the rest of your doomed bloodline. Once a contract has been started, all descendants must work to complete it until the line is ended or the contract is finished. In practice, it means that you must leave here, buy an empty lot in a town your family has never been to before, and complete a set of challenges before you die. You will then be immortal so long as you continue to eat the food of the gods. Your descendants must also complete these requirements until eight immortals live in the same house. Only then will the curse on your blood be lifted. The contract states that any failed immortals will be trapped in the Netherworld for eternity, though Fiona seemed convinced that there was a way around this part. Perhaps you will find something in her notes that will point you in the right direction.”

I stared off into the distance for several moments, then sighed, “I thought you said there was a decision to make. It doesn't sound like there's much of a choice here.”

“You've always got a choice, child. You can choose to die young and doom your entire family to an eternity in the Netherworld, or you can choose to continue this dynasty and perhaps save the souls of your ancestors from oblivion. It's not a good choice, perhaps, but the choice is there.”

“Let me just say goodbye to my folks, then. Where, exactly, are we going?”

Mihuo looked uncomfortable. “ 'We' aren't going anywhere. You may go anywhere you wish besides Appaloosa Plains and Starlight Shores. And here, of course. We will be returning to our family in Shang Simla. We're not allowed to help you any more than this, we're afraid. And, sadly, neither is the watcher called 'Raven.' She used the last of her leeway in getting you safely away from Starlight Shores.”

I entered my childhood home for the last time and told my parents what little I could of the circumstances. I knew in my heart that the things Mihuo had told me were the truth, but my parents would never let me go if they knew just how little I knew about what was happening. There were hugs and tears, and eventually Dad called a taxi for me.

While I waited for my cab, the four of us stood silently on the front porch. Dad held Mom, who tried unsuccessfully to stem the flow of tears, and Mihuo stood behind me as I stared toward the street. The cab arrived, and I hugged Mom and Dad one last time. I left without saying goodbye, because I couldn't trust my voice. The cabbie loaded my lone suitcase into the trunk while I harnessed Lola into the back seat (all I was allowed to bring with me, per the dynasty contract), and when we were settled in the car, he asked me where I was headed.

“Lucky Palms,” I said.

Offline Lasnien

• Townie
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 01:48:14 PM »
The long ride to Lucky Palms was spent in reading through Fiona's notes on the dynasty contract. Evidently, she was close to a breakthrough on how to free those trapped by the contract from the Netherworld, but her research was interrupted. The last page of her journal mentions using ambrosia to restore physical form to those who have passed, but there is still no mention of how to retrieve the soul of one who has already passed beyond the veil. I drifted off to sleep with the last line of Fiona's journal echoing in my head. Written on a page by itself, it said, “I don't think science alone can handle this problem; magic may also be needed.”

I woke early in the morning, just as the sun's rays began peeking over the horizon. The cabbie grinned at me and asked if I had slept well. I paused. No nightmares? I smiled shakily and answered him in the affirmative before asking how much further it was to Lucky Palms. “We've just arrived, miss. Are you sure this is your stop? Not much here that I can see.”

I got out of the cab, letting Lola out behind me, then looked around and sighed. “Yes, this is it. Here's your payment, and thanks for driving me all the way here.” The cabbie tipped an imaginary hat toward me, then drove off toward town, presumably to find someplace to sleep before heading back. I set Lola off to search for minerals and headed into town myself. May as well start working on these requirements now.

My first stop was the consignment store, where I met Darren Dreamer. I'd heard his name before; he's a fairly famous artist, and he'd surely make a fine husband for my purposes. When I heard that he already had a girlfriend, however, I decided to look elsewhere. I won't break apart a happy relationship when this will almost certainly be a marriage of convenience.

I wandered around town for the better part of the day before I met a young lady by the name of Piper Sparks outside the local school. She's a bit inappropriate, but her artistic talent couldn't be denied. We spoke for several hours, and I learned much about her: poor relationship with her father, dead mother, boyfriend much younger than herself. I made a promise to myself to visit her home another day, when her father was around. Perhaps this was the marriage of convenience I was seeking.

Late the next evening, after a long day of tending my newly planted garden, I “invited” myself over to the Sparks house. Walker had just arrived home, and so I set about getting to know him. I realized quickly that I'm closer to Piper in age than Walker, but age doesn't have much to do with this. We talked late into the night, and it was early morning before I flew home on my broom to collapse into bed.

The next day, I waited impatiently for Walker's shift at the hospital to end and invited him over as soon as I could. I hoped my charisma was up to the task as I made a bold suggestion to this man I'd known less than a week. I asked him to move in with me. Piper too, naturally.

He took my brazen proposal better than I'd ever expected. Not only did he and his teenage daughter agree to move into my modest home, but he became downright flirty. This would be easier than I thought.

I took a chance that he'd be as impulsive as I was beginning to suspect, and made one more crazy proposal.

We had a private ceremony right there on my sandy lot, and despite my best attempts to remain neutral, I felt a goofy grin spread across my face as he held up a ring to place on my finger.

I haven't told them, yet, about my objective here. I was happy to see Piper gravitate almost immediately to the easels I had set up in the family room instead of a more traditional sitting area.

What surprised me was the speed with which Walker took to sculpting. It seems he'd always wanted to learn, but never had the time with his obsession with work. I encouraged his interest and gently pushed him toward more complicated – and permanent – media to sculpt with.

It was only days after moving in that Piper and Walker had their birthdays. Piper woke early and had her cake before the school bus arrived, letting her have what would have been her last day there off instead. Predictably, she spent the day painting and learning photography by listening to tabcasts.

Walker waited until his birthday happened naturally, accepting his grey hair and stooped back with his usual “good grace” - I suppose he's got reason to be grumpy now.

We took a cab to Piper's graduation, which was held the next day – Saturday – at City Hall. She graduated with honor and was voted Most Artistic by her classmates.

She was pleased to finally be done with high school, though she has to wait another week or so for her boyfriend, Sahan Diwan, to graduate. Until then, there's a ban on romance between the two of them.

I convinced Walker to retire from his job, now that he's an elder. It's not as if the income is necessary; I only work because it's required by the contract. All of our (admittedly large) wealth comes from cutting gems and smelting metals, both those found by Lola and those I transmute with my magic. The elixir shop down the road pays quite well for some of the rarer items.

All in all, it's been a busy first week in Lucky Palms.

Offline Lasnien

• Townie
Re: Medley Dynasty, the Third (Week Two)
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 10:52:15 PM »
My second week in Lucky Palms has been a little quiet, compared to last week. We adopted a puppy at Piper's request. His name's Menace, and it's well-earned. Such a noisy, destructive puppy! Was Lola ever this bad?

I'm coming along nicely with my requirements, I think. I've planted enough different types of plants to complete one of my challenges, and I got a big promotion after I made a discovery at work that my boss called a “fundamental, Earth and Sun shattering” breakthrough. It involved Fiona's research into the spirits of the deceased and ways to bring them back into the realm of the living. Piper painted my portrait, and Walker has discovered the secret of never-melting ice sculptures. I decided to erm... reward him for his dedication.

I woke up in the middle of the night nauseous. That could only mean one of two things: dinner had gone off, or...

I'm expecting my heir. I've got mixed feelings on this. On one hand, it's necessary, of course. On the other, it sometimes feels as if there's a knife twisting in my heart when I see the joy and excitement in Walker's eyes. I've done him a disservice with this, I think. I care for him, after a manner, but I've refused to truly open my heart to this man, who will die early and leave me alone for most of an eternity. How did my ancestors do it?

Piper's sweety, Sahan, graduated from school near the end of the week, so she invited him around for a visit. He's a little on the childish side, but he seems to be a witch, like me.

I'm not the only one who started feeling a little queasy this week. I guess Piper and Sahan weren't just talking in her bedroom while he was visiting.

Offline EtnaFan666

• Shy Sage of Sucrose
  • Occult
  • Don't mess with Texas, foo!
Re: Medley Dynasty, the Third (Week Two)
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 03:06:00 AM »
This is a very interesting story. I am too poor to afford the various downloadable towns like Lunar Lakes, Lucky Palms or Sunlit Tides(and after bugs with Hidden Springs and Barnacle Bay, I am wary of using these towns) but you did a great job on them. I'm currently doing an unofficial I.D. with the Working Friends living with my founder - Ayesha's given him a son whose imaginary friend will be his daughter-in-law. (Sadly, she hates art. :()

Keep it up. I am expecting nice things.  8)
I play The Sims 4 for fun, so I don't care if I never end up being interviewed for the Dynasty Hall of Fame; people who play for keeps burn out too easily and don't enjoy playing the games, so I am going to not sweat the details.

"With great ability comes great taking into account of one's actions!" - spoken by an NPC in Lego Marvel Superheroes

Offline Lasnien

• Townie
Re: Medley Dynasty, the Third (Week Three, Part 1)
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 11:12:38 PM »
For all the things that didn't happen last week, this week has been twice as busy. Nooboos and birthdays and weddings, oh my! I'll talk a bit about the first this installment and get around to the rest another time. There's just too much for one entry, I'm afraid.

First things first, though. Menace is now a fully grown dog, though he still looks tiny next to my Lola. He's still noisy, but we've been working on his destructive tendencies.

Before I knew it, I went into labor. Walker was less than helpful with his histrionics, and Piper was no better. I removed myself to the nursery so I could give birth to my child in peace and (relative) quiet.

It's a girl! I've named her Hyacinth, and she's excitable and good. Her favorite color is violet (though, how anyone can tell such a thing at this age is completely bizarre).

Walker is smitten with his newest daughter, despite his hope for a boy. Since he's home nearly all the time, I frequently find him in the nursery gazing at her tiny face or tickling her tiny toes. My heart breaks a bit knowing that at his age, he's not likely to see her start school, let alone all the things a parent hopes to see.

Piper's labor was only a couple days behind mine, and I'll admit that I was just as hysterical about it as she and Walker were about mine. What is it about childbirth that brings out the crazy in a person?

She had the daughter she was hoping for, and she's named Sandra. She's a neurotic artist with a favorite color of blue, though I believe Piper intends to dress her in stereotypical pink girly-girl outfits, at least until the little one's big enough to complain about it.

Hyacinth's birthday rolled around, and we had a small family gathering to blow out her candles. Don't mind the dirty counter; such things tend to get overlooked in a house with two infants.

She looks very much like I did at her age. I was hoping that she'd take after her father at least a little, though it may be gentler on my sanity not to have a constant reminder of my mistakes watching me for the rest of eternity.

Walker, having experience with all the things necessary for raising a child already, immediately took charge of her “training.” First up was the potty...

...then came walking.

It wasn't all work and no play, though. He spent time with her playing with the peg box, hoping that the early logic skills she would build with it would make her predisposed to follow him into the medical field.

Despite myself, I often find myself just holding Hyacinth and smiling for no reason. I don't know what it is about this tiny life that makes me so happy, but I hope that it never stops.

Sandra's birthday was a matter of days after Hyacinth's, and we had another small gathering to celebrate. The man in this shot is Sandra's father, Sahan, after a bit of a makeover, but we'll get to that next time.

Sandra is, perhaps, a better blend of her parents. As expected, Piper dressed her in all pink.

Hyacinth jumps from one extreme to the other at times. One moment, it's all logic and science, as much as a toddler can understand such things. The next, she's concocting a fantastical story about the yeti toy she found in her toybox as a magical fairy princess trapped in the body of a monster.

The girls spend quite a lot of their time in front of the dollhouse playing.

I overheard a snippet of conversation (if one could call it such) between Walker and Hyacinth as he started to teach her to talk. I certainly didn't expect to hear my toddler daughter say this: “Daddy wuv Mommy?” And Walker replied, “Yes, baby. Very much.”

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Louise56

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 09:35:52 AM »
Both nooboos are so cute. I hope Walter live long enough to see his little girl go to school.
Great story. :)

Offline Lasnien

• Townie
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 12:33:49 PM »
So, what else happened this week? For one thing, Darren Dreamer has succumbed to lycanthropy. There is quite a rash of supernatural beings invading, it seems.

With the birth of her child, Piper requested permission to move Sahan into the house with us. There is limited space, but I see no problem with letting them be together. Someone in this house should have a normal, healthy relationship.

Piper was ecstatic as Sahan slipped a ring onto her finger in a private ceremony.

Sahan was no less excited to be joining our family.

Much of my maternity leave was spent in the garden, working on those blasted requirements. I've finished my “Perfect Garden” and reached the pinnacle of gardening skills. I've even completed two of three challenges associated with gardening. This extended vacation has put the brakes on my job advancement, but that should be a temporary setback.

Piper and I weren't the only ones that gave birth this week. Lola had an adorable little puppy with Menace that we've named Petunia.

Those two are just adorable snuggling in the big bed.

As for birthdays, mine was the last one of the week. I invited over most of my coworkers - as well as Sahan's parents – after work to have our first real party in the house. Sahan's parents, by the way, are a vampire and a werewolf. How their son managed to be a witch is beyond me.

Candles blown out, and here come the wrinkles. The first thing I wanted to do afterward is perhaps the cruelest wish I've ever had...

I don't know what possessed me to bring up the topic with my toddler daughter, unless it was some sort of madness. The adoration in her eyes as I mentioned Walker – and the fact that he's 88 already – firmly pushed any thought of divorce from my mind. Let the man live the rest of his days secure in his sense of family.

I'll just work off my mid-life frustration somewhere away from home.

Offline Lasnien

• Townie
Re: Medley Dynasty, the Third (Weeks Four and Five)
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 02:10:31 PM »
The last two weeks have flown by in a flurry of activity, leaving me little time to chronicle what's happened. It all started on the Monday after my birthday. I knew it would be happening soon; I just didn't realize how soon.

My husband of only three weeks begged for more time – time to watch his daughter and granddaughter grow up. The reaper had no pity for him, and there would be no exceptions. When time is up, that's all there is.

Piper mourned the relationship she never quite repaired with her father. And me? I think my tears were at least partly relief that I would no longer need to pretend that all is well.

Walker Sparks Medley – beloved father and grandfather, dear husband. You will be missed.

Just when everyone was winding down from their mourning periods, it was time for Hyacinth's birthday. My little girl is growing up.

She's got an interesting sense of style, no?

The first thing she asked for was a telescope so she could gaze at the stars.

The very same day saw two more birthdays later that evening. Petunia has grown into a fully grown dog.

And Lola became an elder.

Before the week was out, Sandra's birthday also rolled around. Sahan took the initiative of helping her blow out her candles.

Sandra likes to play dress-up. It suits her artistic sensibilities.

The final birthday of the week was Piper's. Like me, she seemed to have a bit of a mid-life crisis, though if she's thought about divorce, she's kept those thoughts to herself.

Offline Lasnien

• Townie
Re: Medley Dynasty, the Third (Weeks Four and Five)
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 02:12:46 PM »
Week five saw Sahan catch his very first death fish. Now it's only a matter of someone learning to prepare Ambrosia. I'll have to tell the others about the Dynasty requirements soon, I think. I don't have the time myself to learn the cooking skills required.

Childhood flew by quickly for my little Hyacinth. She didn't quire make it onto the honor roll, which disappointed her a bit.

Her preferred style of clothing has mellowed a bit, if not the colors.

She spent some time out in town meeting people during the day, and ran into a man named Cornelius Vandeen. She seems to value his friendship, but I wonder what she may be thinking in befriending a man so much older than herself. I've heard rumors of his partying ways since the day I moved into town, it seems.

Sandra's birthday came soon after Hyacinth's, as always.

Her wardrobe is a very practical style, I think. Comfortable enough for lounging, with no extra fabric to drag through her painting supplies.

Sahan bought us a food replicator, which I immediately began to upgrade with a wave of my wand. Who needs to tinker away with tools and risk a shock?

And, finally, Sahan had his birthday, joining the ranks of adults in the household. Lucky man managed to avoid the mid-life crisis that has only just released its grip on Piper.

Tomorrow is prom night for the girls. I wonder what sorts of trouble they'll get into...

Offline Lasnien

• Townie
Re: Medley Dynasty, the Third (Week Six)
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 01:58:09 PM »
Author's Note: Apologies for the late update. Between the release of Seasons and all the new shinies associated with that and first trimester pregnancy fatigue, my Dynasty playtime fell to the wayside. I'm attempting to get back into the simming groove and hoping that my file didn't get too buggy in the upgrade. Everyone in the household seems to have gained a day, but their aging is progressing as normal now.

We now return you to your scheduled update, already in progress.

The girls had their prom, though neither one had much to say about what went on there, afterwards. Sandra won Prom Queen, and both seemed to be floating on air when they got home. I stood in the hallway and shamelessly eavesdropped on the giggly conversation in Hyacinth's bedroom. I heard her mention a “Shawn” and then she sighed about how gorgeous she is. This... this isn't good.

I let myself into my daughter's room after Sandra went to bed and told Hyacinth that there is no way she can continue seeing this girl. I didn't give up my life and adoptive parents so that my daughter could wreck everything that the previous five generations of Medleys had worked for!

Hyacinth narrowed her eyes at me and demanded an explanation. I hung my head in resignation as I recounted the history of our family. When I told her that any direct descendants of a failed dynasty will pay the same price as those that agreed to the original contract, my daughter paled.

“So, you're saying that because of you I can't have the girl I want? Because of you I have to find a man to give me a child, a man I may never even love? Is that what you did, Mom?” She must have seen the sorrow in my eyes then, because she seemed to deflate a bit. She agreed to continue the dynasty, but my dear daughter demanded that we not keep such a secret from her child. Better to be raised with the knowledge of the expectations placed on them than find out at the height of teenage hormones that the person one has fallen for is an inappropriate match.

The next morning, Hyacinth invited Shawn over. She's older than I expected, and for a moment I feared that Hyacinth wouldn't be able to break it off.

As their conversation continued, I realized my fear was ungrounded. Once Hyacinth has made up her mind, nothing will deter her from finishing what she's started.

She begged Shawn to stay calm and told her she hoped they could still be friends.

Alas, the fickleness of a young woman's affection. I hope that my little girl's heart will mend quickly.

On Thursday, we had an unwelcome, but expected visitor. Lola was 46 days old, a respectable age for any dog. I'll miss her terribly.

The next day marked my last as an adult. Elderhood awaited just around the corner.

How I'll miss clothing that fits me properly and isn't hideous.

Menace also had his birthday. Seems only days ago he was a rambunctious puppy chewing on everything in the house.

We decided to celebrate my birthday and Leisure Day at the new festival in town. I won my first hot dog eating contest, much to my surprise.

The girls played a little soccer, with Hyacinth winning handily.

Later, I won a game of horseshoes against Sahan. (When did he get so attractive? And why would I think such a thing about my stepson-in-law?)

Meanwhile, Piper and the girls had a water balloon fight. Despite the odds stacked against her, Hyacinth won with a score of 100-30.

Offline azokka361

• Watcher
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 01:54:34 AM »
Can't wait for the next update! Let's hope Hyacinth doesn't get into any "trouble" . . .
I expect Azokka either to yell at everyone and totally dominate or else get out the popcorn.-Ombradellarosa

Elysi Immortal Dynasty

Offline Lasnien

• Townie
Re: Medley Dynasty, the Third (Week Seven)
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 08:15:14 PM »
It's been a busy week in the Medley household, and a big one. I got my last promotion at work, leaving me ready for ambrosia.

When I asked Sahan to make me a plate of ambrosia (and store it in the replicators for future use), he simply raised an eyebrow at me and went about cooking. No questions asked. I don't know if Hyacinth has told anyone else about the dynasty or not, but I did notice that Sahan didn't so much as taste the batter while he was cooking.

The first bite was... underwhelming. I expected something different, though I don't know what I was expecting, exactly.

And I'm immortal. Not that I feel any different. Now everything's on Hyacinth.

Speaking of Hyacinth, she's reached the pinnacle of her logic skill and discovered all the potions there are to discover.

After midnight, she blew out her candles, keeping us all awake so that she could join the rank of adults as soon as she was allowed.

She, of course, made it a point to immediately find a wardrobe and hairstyle more suited to her personality.

Despite my daughter's reluctance to marry – or even choose a man to move in, really – she went ahead and picked out a wedding dress for her formal attire. Perhaps she's forgiven me my deception, after all...

...Or maybe, she's rebelling. If her crush on young Shawn was inappropriate for the situation, Ariel Hudson is perhaps even more shocking. Not only is he a fairy and old enough to be her father...

...He does, in fact, have a daughter that's older than her. She apparently asked him to break off the relationship he had with the mother of his child. Did I mention that Ariel is also her boss at the hospital?

A slightly more appropriate target for her affection, if only by a hair, is Richard Irwin. He's also old enough to be her father and a fairy, but at least she doesn't seem to have asked him to end any relationships.

Hyacinth invited Ariel over after work one night, ostensibly to ask him for a promotion at work. I heard her mention something about showing him one of the stars she discovered as a teenager.

I don't know what she thinks she's doing, but I'll let her be for now. I'm not eager for a repeat of the post-prom row.

Sandra also had her birthday, though she had it early enough in the day that most of us didn't even make it into the kitchen before she blew out the candles.

She's decided that she hates the outdoors, and it shows a bit in her choice of clothing. A wetsuit? Really?

Finally, one more shot of my daughter's overly-complicated love life. She arrived here to have a date with Richard, and who should show up but Ariel? She claims the pain on Richard's face is because he recently lost a lover, though I have to wonder.

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 08:47:29 PM »

What a fun story you've got going on here! Just got up to date on everything. Congrats on your Immortal!

anything