Author Topic: Medley Dynasty, the Third (Week Twenty-Nine)  (Read 22941 times)

Offline Lasnien

• Townie
Re: Medley Dynasty, the Third (Week Eighteen)
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2013, 01:01:32 PM »
Another week, another visit from the grim one. It'll be something of a relief to no longer worry about short-lived pets bringing him round for such regular visits, though I'll miss the companionship.

Finn had his birthday, and despite her professed dislike of children, Pansy insisted on bringing him to the cake.

Garret's hair and eyes, with Pansy's lips and face. Hard to say whose nose he's got, but I'll venture a guess on Garret's – it's the same nose that Hyacinth and I both have, as well.

The doting new parents made sure that little Finn learned everything he needs to know as a toddler – walking...

Using the potty...

And talking. Garret seemed to be trying to nudge Finn to a more respectable career than the one he chose for himself, but Finn doesn't look convinced.

The full moon brings out all of the odd visitors, it seems. Stray animals, zombies, and even an alien abduction. Hope there are no... inconvenient consequences to yet another visit from Cexavu Vajjevoo.

Garret decided that with Finn finished with his toddler skills, it was time for him to return to China to participate in the Sim Fu grand championships. What he didn't realize is just how old his competitors would be.

Seems like there's a bit of an oddity with the aging in China. Nearly everyone in the country was elderly!

Garret spent his nights in meditation until he was considered a master of meditation by the gurus of sim fu.

And, finally, he reached the pinnacle of martial arts ability. Combined with his mastery of athletics, Garret completed his lifetime wish of achieving physical perfection.

One last sparring match – where he had to track his opponent to the marketplace – and Garret was named Grand Master of the tournament.

He celebrated by exploring more tombs, including the infamous Dragon Cave, where he vanquished the mummy of China's most infamous warlord: Dong Huo!

Throughout his entire vacation, Garret's mind kept returning to one thing: his son, Finn. Finn, on the other hand, was doing as any toddler with no more learning responsibilities does best.

Garret's birthday fell on the Friday after he got home from China. Cake – check. Sparkles – check. Mid-life crisis – check. Lovely.

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
Re: Medley Dynasty, the Third (Week Eighteen)
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2013, 08:20:28 PM »

Hardly seems fair to beat up a bunch of elders! Haha! I guess the tournament had some pretty slim competition. Looks like Garret's getting most of his tasks done nice and quick.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Lasnien

• Townie
Re: Medley Dynasty, the Third (Week Nineteen)
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2013, 02:13:05 AM »
Okay, good news and bad news. Good news: I've got this chapter of buffer that I can post. Bad news: I'm having to reinstall the game, and the download is going slowly. Once I've finally got everything up and running (tomorrow, hopefully) I'll check to make sure the files are still working properly, and then probably take a break till the University Life stuff is all checked out by the challenge team. Here's hoping my files didn't take a nosedive with all the computer junk. Fingers crossed!

Theme for the week: birthdays. Pansy had her elder birthday early in the week, just after a shower.

Finn aged into childhood with help from his “child-disliking” mother. She occasionally does shoo him from the room, but I've not witnessed anything more extreme from her.

Finn's gotten a little snobby as he gets older, but it's nice to see how well Garret and Pansy have blended into his facial features. I think he'll make a lovely teen.

Garret makes sure to give Finn the affection he's not really getting from Pansy.

Sara graduated from Dribbledine and came home late on Thursday. Despite her athleticism and adventurous spirit, she's decided to go into the culinary field like her late father. Her wardrobe's toned down a little from her teen rebellion style.

Even after all the sparring he did in China, Garret's still got a way to go before he'll be considered a Sim Fu King, so he's trained both Scarlet and Sara in martial arts to act as his sparring partners. I think he's going easy on them, though, since he seems to let them win quite frequently.

The burglars still haven't taken the hint that they shouldn't be around here. Now there are two old ladies here that will kick them to the curb before they even make it to the front door.

And, because this has been an uneventful week, I thought I'd share a few pictures of the house as it stands now. The wall at the back of the property acts as a memorial for the mortals that have lived in the house. The pet photos have since been moved into the family mausoleum at the graveyard.

The first floor has bedrooms for the immortal-to-be currently actively working on requirements, in this case, Garret. The adjacent nursery serves both the immortals-to-be and those mortals born into the house. The other two bedrooms are for children and teens or the younger set of live-in mortals. The art room was supposed to be a garage, but we decided a dedicated studio space would be more useful considering many of us simply use brooms or vacuums for our transportation.

The second floor houses mostly elders, along with the workout equipment – which will be moved downstairs at some point in the future.

The basement holds the laundry room along with nectar machines and an alchemy lab, both currently locked away awaiting a future immortal to pick up those particular skillsets.

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
Re: Medley Dynasty, the Third (Week Nineteen)
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2013, 10:25:17 PM »

Aw, a snobby kid. Is it weird that I enjoy that trait in the sims? They always crack me up. Here's to hoping your dynasty file is safe!

Offline Lasnien

• Townie
Re: Medley Dynasty, the Third (Week Twenty)
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2013, 12:40:43 AM »
Been a while, eh? Happily, my reinstall didn't cost me anything but my saved hair colors (which I'm sure I could find if I bothered to try) and I haven't found anything strange connected to installing University Life, either. I hope you'll pardon the delay; I find myself with less and less time to sim as my due date draws nearer, and I just really need that buffer before I can get back to writing, I find.

Now that Sara's a young adult, she's been exploring her options regarding potential mates. He won't get to move in, but there's a chance that Sara will wind up having a child for Finn's child to one day marry. Should it be odd for us to plan out the lives of children who are still weeks from being born? At any rate, we did the Medley family usual of inviting over most of the age-appropriate candidates for a party so Sara could see if any sparks flew. This is Joseph Gilbert (I think; it may be his brother, Hanson). No significant attraction here.

Ezekiel Reid is another story, however. I checked out the window to spot this cozy little tableau.

Scarlet had her final birthday after the party guests left for the evening. Why do I insist on forming such close relationships with the mortals in this household when I know it's only a matter of time before Grim comes for them? I think I may have a solution worked out, but it cannot be tested until the eighth of my line reaches immortality.

Enough of my maudlin mood swings. Finn had his birthday party before school on his birthday. It seems like we haven't had a truly scholarly child in the family since Hyacinth was young. Alas.

One set of sparkles later, and Finn was ready to take himself off to the vanity to correct the horrible trick played on him by his new clothes.

I thought Finn's hair was the same color as Garret's, but it seems to be a shade or two darker. He certainly takes after Pansy, though.

The next night marked the last night for little Tiger Lily. She was with us for 49 days.

Sara stopped the grim one for a chat before he could return to the netherworld after Tiger Lily. I don't know what was said, but Sara looked a little pale afterward.

Finn's prom rolled around on a snowy Friday evening. He won Prom King, of course, but found himself rejected by his crush no fewer than three times and got into four fights. Poor kid.

I think Sara's found her choice in mate in Clark Bellamore, here. We'll just let his vampirism slide for the time being; no need shortening his life before it's needed, after all.

Garret finally reached the level of Master Thief in his seedy line of work. He proved himself by stealing this lovely statue of a golden fox. Now, it's only a waiting game – less than a week till his elder birthday.

Finn invited his crush over on Saturday to have a little chat with the boy who snubbed him. There was quite a bit of shouting and pointing fingers...

...and anger from both sides.

In the end, Finn felt that he'd “won” I suppose. Our snobby little boy doesn't appreciate being on the receiving end of a snub, after all.

Offline Lasnien

• Townie
Re: Medley Dynasty, the Third (Week Twenty-One)
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2013, 11:53:23 PM »
Once again, long delay between updates. Sorry about that. I blame University in part... I should know better than to do a two-week term - I tend to lose interest when away from the main family for such a long stretch of time. My thanks to anyone still following this story, and without further ado, here's week twenty-one!

Finn chose nectar-making as his chosen skill, finally making use of those old machines Garret brought back from France. When it became apparent that he was learning everything much faster than he should have been, we both agreed that he should take a break until he's old enough to begin receiving opportunities from the people around town. Plus, I've read that it's best to complete some of the challenges associated with nectar-making all at once without traveling to other places; Finn intends to actually attend university, unlike the rest of the family.

I don't recall a week where there hasn't been at least one death in this household, and this week's no exception. One of the local strays had his meeting with the grim one on our front lawn.

...And the stray dog wasn't the only one. Pansy Northrop Medley faded away at the age of 91.

She begged for one more day, so that Garret's memory of their anniversary wouldn't be tainted by the reaper's presence. As we all know, the grim one brooks no argument. When time is up, time is up.

We were all a touch relieved to have the mundane threat of yet another thief attempting to penetrate the admittedly unimpressive security system in the house. Who needs a proper security system when we have the Grand Master of the Shang Simla martial arts tournament and one of Lucky Palms' oldest and most terrifying old ladies in the house?

Garrett decided that without his lovely Pansy to stand by his side, he'd rather celebrate his final birthday early in the morning, surrounded by friends and family.

One set of sparkles later, and Garret was ready to pose for his last museum pieces, after a trip to the wardrobe, of course.

He's no longer the fresh-faced heartthrob he was as a young man, but my grandson is still as handsome to me as ever. And, if my theories are feasible, it may be a temporary state of affairs anyway.

By dusk, all of Garrett's museum pieces were finished, and he had his first taste of ambrosia while sitting across from his mother, my daughter. It was a somber event, reminding my descendants of those we must leave behind in this insane contract.

I knew the moment he finished his plate, since I felt the increasingly familiar out-of-body experience of drifting down a hallway lined with museum-quality paintings and sculptures. I saw the form of my father floating towards me, and beside him was another form. She introduced herself as Jennifer, and I recognized that she must be my grandmother. The two apparitions turned and spoke to each other in hushed voices, and I could just make out something about, “five to go,” as I faded back into consciousness.

Finn's been taking the time to search out more of the local ladies in town. Darleen Matlapin is, surprisingly enough, still around thanks to her vampiric blood. I certainly hope that Finn is happy with his choice of mate, despite having little choice in this quickly-stagnating town.

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2013, 12:02:16 AM »
RIP Pansy, but congrats to Garrett! He's still a handsome old man.

Yeah, the two-week terms at University are taxing for me to play too, so I know how you feel. :(
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2013, 10:20:56 PM »

I was just checking through my bookmarks and found this! I agree about University. Two sim weeks felt like too long away from my main family when I sent a couple of sims there. Nice to see there are still some unique faces to chose from in town; Supernatural has been most helpful about that!

Offline Lasnien

• Townie
Re: Medley Dynasty, the Third (Week Twenty-Two, Part 1)
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2013, 03:22:13 PM »
Whew! I can't seem to catch a break with this game sometimes. Repeated crashes at the beginning of week 23 led to me replaying the same day more times than I care to count. I'm just wondering where that blasted groundhog is!  ;) I finally got past that (I suspect the culprit was me trying to place the group science project on my home lot; either the machine itself was causing a problem, or it was triggering the rain puddles/build mode issue) and now I'm far enough through week 23 that I feel comfortable posting again! Yay!

Finn likes to spend his free time at the new bowling alley, meeting people and working on his game. Here's hoping he doesn't throw any gutterballs while that poor cat is there.

He threw his own birthday party (our Finn's become something of a party animal lately) and invited over the most eligible bachelorettes in Lucky Palms. We need to see which ones strike his fancy. Nevermind that several of these ladies were – and are still, in some cases – interested in marrying Garret.

He definitely seems to be going for the preppy-collegiate look in his wardrobe these days. It fits with his desire to one day become Leader of the Free World, I suppose.

Finn quickly filled out his university aptitude exam before he headed back out to the party for some schmoozing.

First on his list of potential partners was Darleen Matlapin. Their signs are compatible, and there is definite attraction on his part...

And hers, as well. No partner that I've heard about, either. The only potential obstacle is that she's an adult vampire, which may or may not cause problems when he's ready for an heir.

Of course, there's dear Yuna Tanner as well. No partner here, either, but she's an adult fairy. I fear that Finn may need to look outside Lucky Palms if he's to find a suitable partner.

Not pictured in the list of potential mates for my great-grandson are Abrielle King and our very own Sara. Abrielle is another adult fairy, and I don't think there was any particular reason for Finn to choose or not choose her over anyone else. Sara, of course, is Finn's second cousin once removed. Legally speaking, they could marry, but I'd still feel more comfortable if perhaps their children were the ones to do so. Sara and Finn barely even speak to each other, and there's a significant age gap.

After the party, Finn packed up his suitcase and headed off to University for a double-length term. I'll let him take it from here.

“Finn Medley here, coming at you live from Sims U! I'll tell you what, these communications classes are certainly time-consuming. I hardly have any free time to myself!”

“Between lectures and class activities, I think I only managed to make it to three or four parties a week! What a slave driver that professor is!”

“Despite all the hardship, I did manage to find some time to play. My dorm-mate, Asala, here can vouch for that! *wink*”

“It was only a matter of time before the dean went ahead and gave me my own radio show. I mean, it's not like everyone in the department can just broadcast away whenever they want to!”

“My dorm-mates really went out of their way to make me feel at home. I mean, why else would old Norm here be beating up this robber? (Don't ask why he's living in the dorms with us... I don't think anyone really wants to know that answer.)”

“Finals rolled around and I made sure to suck up to the prof study extra hard the night before to lock in my spot on the Dean's List. What? Why doesn't anyone ever believe me?”

“As luck would have it, I had a rather shocking experience on my way to the last final of the term. Someone remind me to bring a weather controller next time I come here!”

“All told, I had a great time at Sims U, and I brought home an A on my coursework! I'm glad, though, that I've only got one term left before I get my degree. It's awfully tiring working on classes for such a long time! Back to you, Great-Gran.”

*sigh* Boys will be boys, I suppose. Meanwhile, little miss commitment issues over here has been doing some “studying” herself, it seems.

Garret let her know in no uncertain terms that he couldn't think of her like that – he very nearly wanted to date her mother, after all. Sara took it well; I think she may have just been looking for a reaction anyway.

Speaking of Scarlet...

We will miss you, darling girl. There are only five of us in the house now, and tomorrow is Sara's adult birthday. I believe the plan is for Finn to bring in his bride-to-be and Sara to choose a paramour so that the next generation will arrive.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Medley Dynasty, the Third (Week Twenty-Two, part 1)
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »
RIP Scarlet. :(

Glad you (hopefully!) got over the crashing issues.

Offline Lasnien

• Townie
Re: Medley Dynasty, the Third (Week Twenty-Two, part 2)
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2013, 12:42:33 AM »
Sara's birthday was the day after Scarlet went with the grim one. Finn hosted her party and invited over both his own potential brides and Sara's suitors.

Unfortunately, Sara found herself in the grip of a mid-life crisis as the sparkles washed over her. How many times has this happened now?

Sara slipped off to find herself a suitable new outfit, one that she thought screamed, “I'm still young and hip!” more so than her usual daily wear.

Meanwhile...

Young Finn made his decision on which of the eligible young ladies of Lucky Palms would be the proverbial winner of his affection. What he failed to ask was the most important question, perhaps.

When...

is...

your...

birthday...

Yuna?

Two fertility treatments, a romantic massage, and a wish for a large family later, and the sad truth came out.

Yuna aged to elder before any chimes could be heard. She'll live out a happy life in our home, but I fear that she won't be joining the bloodline through any traditional means.

Finn doesn't seem to mind – he's not treating her any differently than before her birthday, despite the now-obvious gap in their ages. I wish... *sigh* I wish there was some way I could help them, but my sole scientific focus has been directed elsewhere.

If only there was another way.

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
Re: Medley Dynasty, the Third (Week Twenty-Two, part 2)
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2013, 11:08:56 PM »

Oh goodness, that is unfortunate! Because at this point in a dynasty, what you really want is an extra spare clambering about the place. Well, at least there's another potential mother already in the house, or will Finn just have to wait a looooong time for a child?

Offline Lasnien

• Townie
Re: Medley Dynasty, the Third (Week Twenty-Three)
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2013, 12:39:04 AM »
Whoops! Sixty days since the last post in the thread, and over 90 since the last time I posted? Bad author! Okay, so I'm here, and I've got a chapter. I won't promise to update on anything resembling a regular basis (the real-life nooboo has completely turned my schedule upside-down, and he doesn't seem to appreciate my simming addiction habit), but I do hope to at least be able to play some now that things have settled.

Once again, thanks to anyone still reading this, and I appreciate your patience. And, with that said, on with the show!

Once it became clear that no nooboos were on the way, Finn decided that he would head back to university for his final term. One more week, and he had his diploma in his hands, complete with a 4.0 GPA.

After his week away from the drama of home, Finn found himself surprised by a sudden proposal from Sara. To say that I was surprised by her decision would be an understatement.

She dragged Finn into his bedroom before he could change his mind, and before long, the deed was done.

Afterwards, Finn was upset about his rash actions. What would Yuna think? Would she ever forgive his... indiscretion?

Sara ensured Finn that she would take any blame for the situation. After all, it's all for the family, right? Oh, how I wish none of this was forced on us, but the end is getting nearer every week.

Sara's pregnancy started to show during work, and she was sent home lest she get sick all over some poor customer.

Yuna's reaction was not quite as bad as Finn feared it would be, though she was certainly resentful of Sara's new position in the family hierarchy – as though Yuna would be “demoted” or some such just because she couldn't bear a child...

She even made sure to point out that Finn would never love Sara. Finn wisely decided to stay out of the ensuing argument over the meaning of “love.” Hyacinth, meanwhile, had something up her sleeve...

My daughter and I have spoken at length about the folks in town, and while many of the “original” residents are still living, our most recent experiences with curing them of their supernatural status have proven troubling, at best. Those few who have moved into town since I started this journey seem to be... off somehow, so the collective of immortals have decided that we'd try to discourage the young ones from choosing them as spouses. This leaves us with a dilemma: who would the remaining heirs be able to marry? With Sara expecting a little girl, Hyacinth dug into her stash of surreptitiously gathered DNA samples to find her a match.

Meet Darius Dreamer, clone of the late Darren Dreamer, who sadly passed hours after he was cured of his lycanthropic state.

A matter of hours (but, oddly, one day) later, Sara went into labor and sent me into yet another bout of hysterics. Somehow, I never seem to get used to childbirth, even after all these weeks.

Emily Medley has joined the household, giving us a full house once more.

Despite their differences, both Sara and Yuna adore the children and spend much of their time caring for them.

Finn finally decided to pop the question and make an honest woman of Yuna, as well as make things official.

Friday marked little Darius's first birthday, and Yuna did the honors of bringing him to the cake.

A few sparkles later, and we've got our little man. He's quite the image of Darren, and even shares traits with his progenitor – though how anyone could tell that a toddler is a great kisser is quite beyond me!

The next day, of course, was Emily's birthday, and her mother brought her to the cake.

Finn's face shape and hair color with Sara's features and eye color. I think she'll be a stunning girl, but I may be biased.

Before the day was over, Finn and Yuna decided that they didn't want to wait any longer and scrapped their wedding plans for a private ceremony in the foyer. It's good to see him so happy... I only hope it lasts.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Medley Dynasty, the Third (Week Twenty-Three... finally!)
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2013, 07:17:17 AM »
Welcome back! And congrats on your real-life nooboo.

Even though Yuna is pretty much dead weight in the household, I can't help but feel sorry for her. I'm glad that Finn was able to keep their relationship, though.

Both of the toddlers are adorable, especially Emily. She definitely got the best from both parents.

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
Re: Medley Dynasty, the Third (Week Twenty-Three... finally!)
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2013, 09:25:59 PM »

Good to hear from the Medley's again, and congrats on the nooboos both real and virtual. Emily and Darius are both such cuties. A great kissing toddler. Haha! Oh goodness.

anything