Author Topic: The Ghosts of Twinbrook (Life States Dynasty)  (Read 109041 times)

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
Re: The Ghosts of Twinbrook (small update 19 Dec)
« Reply #105 on: December 21, 2012, 11:11:33 AM »
Oh wow, that is so cool! A very cool way to honour family.

I'm not sure they'd see it that way  ;).  Given my grandfather's horror at the idea of card games (and by 'card games', I mean things like Snap), I'm not sure he'd take too kindly to having a Sim named after him :o.  Sometime, I should use some of the odder names - really obscure Biblical/classical ones and a bizarre outbreak of uber-Goth names in the nineteenth century :D - not to mention the poor kid named Victoria Jubilee.

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
« Reply #106 on: December 21, 2012, 12:20:23 PM »
I'm not sure they'd see it that way  ;).  Given my grandfather's horror at the idea of card games (and by 'card games', I mean things like Snap), I'm not sure he'd take too kindly to having a Sim named after him :o.  Sometime, I should use some of the odder names - really obscure Biblical/classical ones and a bizarre outbreak of uber-Goth names in the nineteenth century :D - not to mention the poor kid named Victoria Jubilee.

I have a great-great grandfather called Edwerd. Not Edward (although there's one of those too), but Edwerd. Names are always heaps of fun, and I'd love to see more from your family. :)

I'm still reading this story faithfully. I love how you've worked in the disappearance of Lee and Kate, and I can't wait to see how Georgina and Isabella turn out. I wonder if they'll get that nose.  :o

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #107 on: December 23, 2012, 05:16:52 AM »
Edwerd?  That is unusual.

I can't wait to see how Georgina and Isabella turn out. I wonder if they'll get that nose.  :o
One of them did.  Poor girl.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
Re: The Ghosts of Twinbrook
« Reply #108 on: December 23, 2012, 10:13:47 AM »
Chapter 11a: Life of Brian

They were twins – and so were their special friends.  They’d been paired almost since birth.  Babyhood was a vague, confusing time.  Separation from the twin who’d always been there.  Warmth, comfort, snuggling.  Darkness.  Light.  Colours, gradually settling into patterns and then recognisable objects.  Occasional cries from the other cot.  Is that you?

Toddlerhood brought more comprehension and new experiences.  Now they could all start to play together.

At least, they could play when their friends weren’t being taken away by their parents for lessons.  Why did they need to learn how to walk and talk?  Didn’t everyone know that already?  All it took was being placed on the ground at the right time: then they’d be able to do everything.  Apparently it didn’t work like that for humans.  Georgie and her sister had to be taught.  Then they were taken off somewhere for a whole day to ‘read books’, whatever that meant.

Now that Georgie could talk, she gave him a name.  He'd had a vague idea that he was called Puzzle but now that Georgie had chosen a different name for him, that became his real name.  The special name.  His only possible name.  He was Brian.

Then, one day, there was a cake.

That was the trigger he needed.  Brian asked Georgie to put him down on the floor.

At last!  Now he could talk to her properly.  She seemed pleased, too.

She had to do a lot of studying…

…and homework…

…but they had plenty of time for fun as well.

Sometimes, when Georgie wasn’t around, Brian heard the grown-ups talking.  Something about air – and they seemed worried.  He listened harder.  It seemed that either Georgie or Izzy was an Air.  He knew they weren’t as solid as he was but he thought they were a bit more substantial than that.

Later, Georgie taught him to read and he realised how silly he’d been.  It was ‘heir’, not ‘air’.  So what did that mean?  He wasn’t quite sure whether to ask Georgie about it but eventually decided to wait until they were both bigger.  Sometimes, though, Brian had a feeling that his brother knew more than he did.  He’d certainly become very secretive lately.

As teenagers, Georgie and her sister had more freedom but also more to do.  They both had part-time jobs at the graveyard after school.  Brian and his brother had to learn to wait patiently at home until their friends came back.  On their days off, the girls went to the library instead.  Once, they stayed there too long.

The grown-ups were furious but Georgie told Brian it was fun anyway.  He wished he had a curfew to break.

Growing up also brought new interests.  Brian tried not to mind.

Playing it cool was probably right.  Soon Omari was just a friend again and Georgie had taken up a new hobby instead.  It involved a lot of trampling around in tubs of fruit (and slipping over frequently).

Next to the fruit tubs were funny machines that steamed and whistled – and Georgie spent a lot of time fiddling with them.  She said that the machines produced a nice drink that made people happy but it seemed an odd way to go about things.  Couldn’t she just tell a few jokes instead?

And then they all grew up.

After they’d finished eating their cake, Georgie’s great-great grandmother took both human twins off for A Serious Talk.  Brian wondered whether he’d finally find out whether Georgie was the heir – and just what that meant.  As soon as she was free, he asked her.

Georgie was upset.  It seemed that either she or her sister would have to move out of the house.  The heir could stay but would have more tasks to do.  Family was very important to Brian.  He hoped Georgie would stay with hers, whatever it took.  He asked her who had been chosen as heir.

“Great-Great didn’t tell us what to do.  She says we’re evenly matched and it’s up to us.”
You must stay, Georgie.  It’s your family, after all.

“Stop going on about family all the time.  You sound just like Great-Great.  It’s our choice.  Ours!  Mine and Izzy’s.  Not yours, Brian.”

It was the first time she’d ever yelled at him.

Georgie and her sister stayed up all night talking – and eventually they reached a decision.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #109 on: December 23, 2012, 10:47:09 AM »
Chapter 11b: Life of Riley

Riley hated being a toddler.  Izzy’s affection was so… physical.  The hugs and singing were nice enough but being used for drum practice wasn’t fun at all.  Of course, he wanted to be best friends with her – but couldn’t she confine the domestic abuse to her teddy?  At least she wasn’t one of those children who wanted to name their toys themselves.  He was Riley, as he always had been – which was only right.

Izzy had a lot of things to learn.  It seemed that humans had to be taught simple things like walking and talking – and then there was all that business with the potty.  If they didn’t keep giving her bottles, she’d probably be all right.  Riley didn’t need a potty.

At last, Izzy had a birthday.  Not before time – he was sure some of his stuffing was getting damaged.

As soon as the cake was eaten, she was taken off for tutoring – and put Riley on the floor nearby to watch.

He did more than watch.  At last he had the chance to show her he was more than a toy.  Take that, Teddy!

As soon as she noticed him changing, Izzy asked if she could stop studying for the day.  Now they could be real friends.

The adults in the house were worried.  They didn’t talk about it when the girls were around but Brian and Riley had overheard snatches of conversation that made it clear that something was going on.  Then, one afternoon, he was on his way to welcome Izzy home from school when he stumbled on a family argument and found out what had happened.

People had disappeared!  They’d moved house and now they’d gone completely.  Obviously, moving out was dangerous.  He wanted to live!  He’d better make sure that Izzy stayed here for ever and ever.

Gradually, he discovered more.  Izzy and her sister were in competition, although they didn’t know it yet.  The one who did best would stay in the house.  The other would have to leave.  Well, he’d better make sure that Izzy won.  She was doing well so far.  Although they were equally good academically, Izzy was better at ballet.

She was picked to dance the lead at the end-of-term performance, while her sister was just in a group dance.

Then they all became teenagers.

Izzy started writing a book, which seemed like a sensible hobby.  According to Brian, his human was spending most of her free time in the cellar, sitting in tubs of squishy fruit.  The girl was clearly mad.

Writing took a long time, though, and it made Izzy bad-tempered.  When he could, Riley lured her away from the study to have some fun.

Georgie might be a bit odd but she was doing better than Izzy in high school.  And she had a boyfriend.  Clearly, Izzy needed a pep talk.  Maybe she should give the writing a rest for now and concentrate on other things.

Ah, yes.  That was better.

Soon, Izzy was standing in front of another cake and making a wish.

Don’t wish to leave home!

Unnoticed by the rest of the family, Riley had a birthday, too.

It was time for some serious family discussions.  Riley made sure he was there, even if he couldn’t join in.  Ana praised Izzy’s book… and the strange drinks Georgie had made.

She congratulated them on their achievements so far and then she went on to talk about the future.  One of them would be heir and would have more tasks to perform as an adult.  The other could do what she wanted – but would have to move out of the house.  The family thought Georgie and Izzy were equally well suited to being heir, so it was up to them to choose.

It was a tough decision: a secure future but with tasks mapped out – and an arranged marriage – or freedom but having to make their own way in the world.  Only Riley knew that there was rather more than security at stake.  He wanted to tell Izzy but she was too busy talking to her family.  Saying goodbye?  Then she and her twin locked themselves in the living room.

Georgie talked about what she’d do if she stayed.  She was very convincing and Izzy seemed impressed.

Oh no!

Riley was furious with himself – why hadn’t he insisted on Izzy going to debating club with her sister instead of working on the school paper?  Then Izzy put her case.  That was better.

But then she started talking about why she was better suited to moving.  Peace and quiet for writing.  No Great-Great interfering in her life.

Izzy, don’t say that!

Georgie came right back with Izzy’s hatred of the outdoors. She didn’t mind being outside – and she liked flirting.  If she stayed here with all those relatives watching, her opportunities were going to be severely limited.

Go Georgie!

The arguments went backwards and forwards all night but by morning they had reached a decision.

Next chapter

Offline Gogowars329

• Watcher
Re: The Ghosts of Twinbrook (updated 23 December)
« Reply #110 on: December 23, 2012, 03:36:19 PM »
I wonder who the heir is. Personally, I want Georgie to be heir.

I love how the chapters were in the imaginary friends' points of view. I'm guessing that is the next life state?
Gogowars Inc - The place to find all of my wonderful Sims 3 creations

TheTripWasInfraGreen

« Reply #111 on: December 23, 2012, 04:25:05 PM »
I have a feeling I know who the next spouse is going to be (really, the choices are rather slim by now).

I know that they'll make the right decision about who gets heiress'd. :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ladyaya

• The Epic Panda-Cat Lover
  • Watcher
« Reply #112 on: December 23, 2012, 05:09:17 PM »
I have a feeling I know who the next spouse is going to be (really, the choices are rather slim by now).

Considering there's only fire, drowning and old age left, there's not many ghosts left, lol

Offline Dextra2

• Ruler-of-All-She-Sees-And Has A Really Big Ego.
  • Immortal
  • You can call me Dex!
« Reply #113 on: December 23, 2012, 10:18:11 PM »
Considering there's only fire, drowning and old age left, there's not many ghosts left, lol
We only have two left. Fire was gen 2.
If a cluttered desk is an indication of a clutter mind, what is indicated by an empty desk?
~~~
That one moment when you realize you've been stalking the same thread for ten minutes... And there no reason why because you're up to date on everything.
~~~
Crossing the Rubicon

The Dark Fae's Quest

TheTripWasInfraGreen

« Reply #114 on: December 23, 2012, 10:34:46 PM »
Generation two was electrocution, not fire. So there are three ghost-types left, but I think Hazelnut said that she wants to avoid old age. So two left; fire and drowning. Funny how they're opposites. :P

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #115 on: December 24, 2012, 03:37:47 AM »
I love how the chapters were in the imaginary friends' points of view. I'm guessing that is the next life state?

No.  The next unique best friend is likely to be imaginary but the spouse will be a ghost.

I have a feeling I know who the next spouse is going to be.

I have a feeling you're right :).

But they are the three types of ghost that are most widely available if everything goes pear-shaped and I end up having to move towns.  I'd really hate to have to move at this stage - especially given the story title - but the file is getting glitchy and I've been planning for the worst, just in case.

I wonder who the heir is. Personally, I want Georgie to be heir.

Choosing the heir was practically impossible.  Serves me right for moaning about not having a choice in earler generations :P.  This time I had two who were equally (un)suited.  Every birthday, I expected one of them to roll a definitely good or bad trait but they kept getting pretty neutral ones.  Georgie is disciplined/perceptive/dog person/klepto/flirty and Izzy is disciplined/hates the outdoors/heavy sleeper/over-emotional/clumsy.  They both rolled the Renaissance Sim LTW as teenagers (on the same day, naturally :) ).

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
Re: The Ghosts of Twinbrook - Happy Christmas!
« Reply #117 on: December 26, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »
Happy Christmas to you and to all the Twinbrook ghosts!
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2013, 11:19:10 AM »
Chapter 12: A Life for a Life

Izzy had started to feel that she’d made a horrible mistake. It had seemed like the right decision at the time but was it really?  They’d spent so long talking around in circles that maybe they’d just got confused.  They were certainly exhausted by the time morning broke.  And then they had to go to graduation.

Izzy graduated as valedictorian, much to her surprise.  Georgie had seemed to be doing better all through high school.  Their classmates didn’t seem to have much respect for them, though: Izzy was voted most likely to burn down her own house and Georgie was most likely to get arrested.  After the ceremony, the sisters hugged goodbye and Georgie moved out.

It was lonely without her twin.  She still had Riley, of course, but he was such a weirdo.  He’d be friendly one minute and then mean the next.  He didn’t like her new hobby either.  Georgie had given her a book before she left and now she was putting what she’d learnt from it into practice.

Riley didn’t really understand about food and drink – how could he?  He couldn’t believe that anyone would pay to drink something that had had someone’s feet in it.  And then he laughed at her when she fell over.  Which, she had to admit, she did rather a lot.  It was a relief to go back to her writing.

With her tasks progressing nicely, it was time to start thinking about the next generation of Gooles.  Reluctantly, she visited the graveyard at night.

The ghosts were getting concerned.  First Steward had left the graveyard and never been seen again, then the same thing had happened to Kid.  When Lacy came over on one of her periodic visits from the other side of town, she’d told them there were rumours of ghosts going missing from other places, too.

A few of them had seen strange ghosts around the cemetery from time to time and little Wilhelmina said she’d seen one of them talking to Kid just before his gravestone disappeared.  What was going on?

Bob-Andy Baker had had a happy life.  An adored young wife, two small sons and great plans for the future.  What more could anyone want?  With his love of plants and her love of cooking, he and Mary were going to start their own restaurant one day.  Excellent ingredients, cooked to perfection.  In the meantime, they were bringing up their boys and saving every Simoleon they could.

He’d decided that angling would be a useful extra skill – Mary could cook the best fish and the extras would make good fertiliser.  But then, one foggy morning, he got lost in the swamps in pursuit of the one that got away.  The mud was very cold, very soft and very, very deep.

And then he was a ghost.

He’d heard it said that people with unfinished business came back as ghosts.  He certainly hadn’t finished with life – but how was he ever going to do anything about it?  He guessed someone must have found his body eventually, since he was in the cemetery rather than out in the middle of nowhere.

Once or twice, he’d sensed Mary crying at his graveside but he never seemed to be able to make contact with her and now it was a long time since he’d seen her at all.  What had happened?  Had she moved out of town?  Remarried?  And were their sons grown men now?  What were they like?  Had growing up fatherless scarred them?

None of the other ghosts could help.  They’d all been in the cemetery longer than he had and knew very little of what had happened in the world since their deaths.  Being the newcomer, he was very much the junior member of their society, too.  Maybe that was why they left him to talk to the unfamiliar ghost who appeared one night.

Izzy probably shouldn’t have brought up the subject of marriage so soon.  She knew she had to marry this man – or have a baby with him, anyway – but how could he be expected to know her unusual circumstances?  Without that knowledge, she must have seemed completely mad.  No wonder she’d scared him off.

Mind, she hadn’t expected that answer.  He was married!  What was she going to do now?  If only Georgie had been heir instead.  She’d probably have seen a married man as a challenge.

Bob-Andy had a plan.  Why did he have to father that strange girl’s baby?  There were other male ghosts.  What about S. Windle?

Not exactly the answer to a maiden’s prayer, admittedly, but he was single – and ruthless enough to make the most of whatever it was that she was offering.  A few nights later, she came back to the cemetery and he introduced them.

This time, she explained what was going on.  She told them about her family and their strange bargain with the Grim Reaper.  She couldn’t marry S. Windle because there was already an electrocution ghost in the family.

“The two remaining deaths we have to undo are fire and water.  There are several fire ghosts around town but they’re all women.

“You’re the only possible choice.  We can’t find any other ghosts who drowned, so it has to be you.  I’m not asking for marriage – or even love.  I just need to have a baby.  Please.”

Bob-Andy thought fast.  He felt sorry for her – but he still loved Mary.  Oh!  Maybe this girl could find out about his family.

“…So if I knew what had happened to her, I might be able to help you.  If she remarried, maybe I can, too.  I’m sorry, Isabella.  I need to know.  Please help me.”

And then he was gone.  Now what? Well, maybe here was a good place to start.  She could check the records in the mausoleum.

She found a Mary Baker and two male Bakers, Lincoln and Newton, who might be Bob-Andy’s sons.  She realised that he’d mentioned ‘the boys’ but not actually told her their names.  From the dates, all three had died of old age.  Then she looked at the dates again.  If she remembered her family history correctly (and she should – it had featured in several of her books), all three Bakers had been alive when Great-Great first came to Twinbrook.  Maybe she’d known them – or known of them, at least.

“Mary Baker?  Yes, of course I know of her.  She was one of the rich people in town back then.

“She lived in one of those big houses on Puddlewick Drive.  I worked for her once – she had a poltergeist infestation.  That was before I went into medicine, of course.”
“She was rich?  I had an idea they were short of money.”
“Mary Baker, short of money?  She was the Mary Baker, author of Mary’s Book of Baking.

“That book alone must have made her a fortune and she wrote several others.  I think we have some of them.  The library in town certainly has the full set – local celebrity and all that.  She had a sad life, though.  She was widowed tragically young and her two boys were a handful, by all accounts….
"Isabella, why do you suddenly want to know about Mary Baker?”

“Oh, you poor child!  I am so sorry.  Is there really no alternative?”

“Well, if finding out more about his wife will help, I suppose the newspaper offices would be a good place to start.  I seem to recall a somewhat flowery obituary.  That might give you a few leads.  Christabel might be able to help, too.  She used to be a private investigator, remember.”

“So it turns out that my great-great-grandmother knew Mary slightly…

“…She never opened her own restaurant, although she did carry on working at the bistro in town, even after she was a famous food writer.  Wanted to keep her hand in, I suppose….

“…and she never remarried.
“I’m afraid we couldn’t find out much about your sons.  They don’t seem to have married or had children but they did both live long lives.”

“I know you still feel as though you’re married to Mary and obviously she always felt the same about you.  As I said, I don’t want love or marriage.  In fact, if things had worked out differently…
“No.  We’re both in love with other people but maybe we can be friends – and still bring up children together.  And afterwards, when this is all over, I’ve worked out a way that we can all be happy.  You see…”

Summary – generation 5

Heir: Isabella Goole
Life state: starvation ghost
Traits: disciplined, hates the outdoors, over-emotional, heavy sleeper, clumsy
Lifetime wish: Renaissance Sim

Toddler requirements: best friends with both parents, reached  level 3 in two skills (logic books, writing books)
Child requirements: on honor roll, one opportunity completed (Quest for the Lead)
Teenager requirements: on honor roll, reached  level 3 in mausoleum clerk part-time job, had a romantic interest (Benjamin Ezell)

Unique best friend: Riley (imaginary friend)
Two career rewards: Nectar Maker's Symbol of Honor, Author's Honor Trophy
Three unique opportunities: Fixing the Books, A Public Speaking Event, A History of One
Four unique Lifetime Happiness Rewards: Meditative Trance Sleep, Acclaimed Author, Long Distance Friend, Fertility Treatment
Five unique 5000+point wishes: master nectar-making skill, make nectar worth §150, make nectar worth §250, make at least §10000 a week in royalties, write a masterpiece
Six unique skill challenges: Mix Master, Flavourful Feet, Master of Nectar-Making, Children's Book Author, Prolific Writer, Speed Writer
Seven items for mausoleum: nectar

anything