Author Topic: Gardening Career tips  (Read 15691 times)

Offline Xanatos

• Llama Wrangler
Gardening Career tips
« on: November 24, 2012, 11:30:50 AM »
In my current dynasty my founder is only at level 7 of the gardening career and few days into her adult life. I have been using all the info in the guide and other information found in the forum, but I am wondering if anyone has any specific tips or tricks to help me speed along her promotions? Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Offline Wai

• Immortal
Re: Gardening Career tips
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 11:45:03 AM »
It depends what expansion packs you have.

If you have WA get yourself a holiday home and garden there.  (unfortunately, the garden bug makes this impossible for an established sim)

Buy the gardening station and the (premium store content, currently only available with the whole greenhouse set).  You get several perfect harvests per day if you want them.

Sell your produce through the consignment store, it's significantly more valuable.

Grow only life-fruit (by far the most valuable produce) and garlic to use as fertalizer.
“In this world, there is nothing softer or thinner than water. But to compel the hard and unyielding, it has no equal. That the weak overcomes the strong, that the hard gives way to the gentle -- this everyone knows. Yet no one asks accordingly.”
 Lao-Tse

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Katie123urgreat

• Causton CID
  • Occult
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 04:52:29 PM »
From reading some dynasties, they try to plant money trees as soon as possible. I'm pretty sure that if you sell the money bag, it goes to the gardening career. Can someone please correct me if I'm wrong?

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" -Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DS Ben Jones: I appreciated your trust over the Masons thing.
DCI Tom Barnaby: Trust, Jones, is something hard to win, easy to lose, and never to be taken lightly.
Jones: William Shakespeare, sir?
Barnaby: No! Thomas Barnaby.
-Midsomer Murders

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 04:54:10 PM »
The money bags only count if you drag them to the sell box in your inventory but they do count towards the career.  I have maxed it several times doing it this way.
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Chuckles_82

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 12:02:24 AM »
Doesn't stuff that you feed to the omni plant count? Feed it expensive items and you could max it in no time.

Offline Xanatos

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 08:38:36 AM »
Thanks for all the help everyone! It was much appreciated!

Offline fortheloveofcake

• Immortal
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 12:32:52 AM »
I was wondering, if I have produce grown and harvested by one sim, and then give it to another gardener sim to sell, will it go towards the second sim's career earnings?

When you live, live with your soul, not with your time.
When you love, love with your heart, not with your mind.
When you want to be something, the world can't define, open up your eyes.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Dextra2

• Ruler-of-All-She-Sees-And Has A Really Big Ego.
  • Immortal
  • You can call me Dex!
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 11:43:09 PM »
I was wondering, if I have produce grown and harvested by one sim, and then give it to another gardener sim to sell, will it go towards the second sim's career earnings?
I'm not sure, but others say they've maxed garening like that. Pam did in in her Decadyasty.
If a cluttered desk is an indication of a clutter mind, what is indicated by an empty desk?
~~~
That one moment when you realize you've been stalking the same thread for ten minutes... And there no reason why because you're up to date on everything.
~~~
Crossing the Rubicon

The Dark Fae's Quest

tartousiano

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 10:17:17 PM »
if you have showtime expansion : make your spouse be a singer acrobat or magician for a 3 or 4 days only(cuz you ll need him to paint your portrait .sculpting etc). and when he \she can perform on the stage. make your gardener or any child attend the show . so you can throw fruits vegetables meat cheese etc on him \ her. you ll find them in his\her inventory and most of them are ~~perfect~~ .try it again if you got a normal one. it will help you to complete your gardening LTW and your career  in a  few days .

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 12:08:13 AM »
if you have showtime expansion make your spouse be a singer acrobat etc for a 3 or 4 days only and when he \she can perform on the stage make your gardener or any child attend the show . and you can throw fruits vegetables meet cheese etc on him \ her. you ll find them in his\her inventory and most of them are ~~perfect~~ .try it again if you got normal . it will help you to complete your gardening LTW and career  in a  few days

Welcome to our Forum, tartousiano.

I'd like to ask you to use correct grammar and punctuation.  Your posts aren't making as much sense without them.  Thank you.  :)
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline rklesc

• Nooboo
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 12:20:51 AM »

I do this all the time. I usually hold off my single Sim from finding a mate until I have reached level 10 in three to four different skills, one of which is generally gardening. Once I have a fully developed garden, the "significant other" then harvests and receives credit in their career. Unfortunately, they still have to plant at least one of each plant in order to get the challenge though. But if they simply plant, then it is recorded. The plant can then be uprooted and replaced with another. You do not need to bring the plant to full maturity. I discovered this just a few days ago. 

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 01:03:54 AM »

In addition to rklesc's answer, I'd like to add that if you have two gardeners at the same time, they will both get credit for the sales no matter which one planted, tended, harvested, or sold it.  It just automatically goes towards both Sims' sales, at least when it's sold at the Consignment Shop.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline rklesc

• Nooboo
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 03:27:15 AM »
In addition to rklesc's answer, I'd like to add that if you have two gardeners at the same time, they will both get credit for the sales no matter which one planted, tended, harvested, or sold it.  It just automatically goes towards both Sims' sales, at least when it's sold at the Consignment Shop.

Yeppers... I failed to mention that. It was a nice bit of serendipity when I discovered that one.

tartousiano

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 03:54:38 AM »
thanks pam for your kindness. and am sorry for my bad english 8).

Offline rklesc

• Nooboo
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 06:26:25 AM »
thanks pam for your kindness. and am sorry for my bad english 8).

I am certain that your English is far superior to my fable attempt at your native language. Your use of English is just fine... no worries.

Offline MeestorMark

• Townie
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 08:53:52 PM »
Grow only life-fruit (by far the most valuable produce) and garlic to use as fertalizer.

For people who like playing gardeners...

This weekend I found a harvestable that came with UL that is more profitable than life fruit. One of the new coffee beans (think it is called "red berry bean" if I remember it right) that you can buy from the grocery store for $50 each. Perfect versions are worth $200 each, and through the consignment shops can bring much more.

The real kicker is.... these beans are "common" for rarity and grow as fast as tomatoes and apples so far in my playing/testing this weekend. So once you have perfect species going, there really isn't any need to fertilize as they still grow and produce just as fast.

So I think perhaps life fruit might be knocked off the most profitable gardening peg. These beans can be purchased at the grocery store with no need to find the special seeds and see what develops. They can also be planted much earlier on in a gardeners progression through the skill. As they grow faster, it is also easier/quicker to get them to "perfect" versions as well. Would be interested to see if anyone else can duplicate this in their game as I haven't read anyone else talking about it yet. I hope it isn't just some cool glitch that happened in my game.

I also hope it is okay reviving an older thread, but it seems like this thread is right on topic for what I found this weekend. And I wanted to make sure and share the find with others that like playing gardeners.

Offline MeestorMark

• Townie
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 10:38:14 PM »
Noticed while playing today that the base price of the red berry beans at the grocery store are $75. $50 was a sale price.

Offline Lallaith

• Nooboo
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 09:40:57 AM »
For people who like playing gardeners...

This weekend I found a harvestable that came with UL that is more profitable than life fruit. One of the new coffee beans (think it is called "red berry bean" if I remember it right) that you can buy from the grocery store for $50 each. Perfect versions are worth $200 each, and through the consignment shops can bring much more.

The real kicker is.... these beans are "common" for rarity and grow as fast as tomatoes and apples so far in my playing/testing this weekend. So once you have perfect species going, there really isn't any need to fertilize as they still grow and produce just as fast.

So I think perhaps life fruit might be knocked off the most profitable gardening peg. These beans can be purchased at the grocery store with no need to find the special seeds and see what develops. They can also be planted much earlier on in a gardeners progression through the skill. As they grow faster, it is also easier/quicker to get them to "perfect" versions as well. Would be interested to see if anyone else can duplicate this in their game as I haven't read anyone else talking about it yet. I hope it isn't just some cool glitch that happened in my game.

I also hope it is okay reviving an older thread, but it seems like this thread is right on topic for what I found this weekend. And I wanted to make sure and share the find with others that like playing gardeners.

I also love gardening! i rarely play non-gardener sims. I've been growing red berry beans too, and have the same experience as you. they are definitely by far the most profitable crop now.

Offline MeestorMark

• Townie
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 11:06:18 AM »
Sweet Lallaith! So glad this isn't just a glitch! Lol. Thanks for letting us know. :)

Offline peachbuddy

• Nooboo
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2013, 07:45:10 AM »
Is there any way to grown plants in autumn and winter, mine are all dead or dormant when autumn comes.

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2013, 08:04:25 AM »
There should be these indoor planter things that came with Seasons you can use. Place them inside and you can grow no matter the weather. I'm not sure exactly where they are in Buy Mode, though.

Dellena

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2013, 10:23:27 AM »
I believe the indoor planters came with Supernatural.  And they are in Decor>Plants

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, 10:26:06 AM »
You can also use moveobjects on to move plants indoors during cold weather, which is great if you don't have Supernatural and its indoor planters (and it's great even if you do, because those planters are clunky).
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline MeestorMark

• Townie
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2013, 08:08:46 PM »
I have noticed something else with gardening lately that some people may want to know.

I created a new sim a while back with the green thumb and gatherer traits. After maxing out his gardening skill and getting enough lifetime reward points, I bought him the Super Green Thumb reward. He (and other sims I have tested it on since) have been able to go to the grocery store (nice quality) or harvest around town (generally normal quality) and then plant those items and instantly have a new perfect plant planted.

With one of my test sims, I gave him the Super Green Thumb Reward when he was about skill level six in gardening. Once maxed in the skill, his "nice" harvestables planted yielded only "outstanding" plants, and "normal" yielded "excellent" plants. So for some reason the LTR has a much stronger effect if you add it after you have maxed out the gardening skill.

I hope this is helpful for others who garden a lot with their sims, maybe others have already figured it out though. I had always thought the Super Green Thumb reward was not helpful if you already had the Green Thumb trait for a sim. But it is actually quite helpful if you want a really efficient path to "perfect" plants.

Chuckles_82

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2013, 12:19:31 AM »
Really? Are you sure that it is not from the 'gatherer' trait? I've only seen the LTR increase quality by about 1 level.

On another note, has anyone been able to get the WA or SN seeds from the gene splicing experiment?

Offline MeestorMark

• Townie
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2013, 02:50:21 PM »
Chuckles, it is the combination of all four things. Green Thumb and Gatherer traits, maxing out the gardening skill, then buying the Super Green Thumb LTR.

You are right, if you take the Gatherer trait out of the combination, it doesn't come close to adding up to perfect plants when just planting from nice or normal. Sorry I didn't make it clear enough that the two traits listed are the baseline a sim must have in order to be able to pull it off.

Offline Skane

• Nooboo
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2013, 04:38:34 PM »
Hi all. Returning player here. I kinda stopped after Showtime (Steam wasn't selling the latest seasons, so I thought the game support on Steam went dead), and apparently my previous forum account expired. :P

During the Steam Summer Sales though, I saw the latest expansions on sale and updated the game accordingly. I have always been a gardener type of Simmer, and Seasons is wrecking havoc on my crops. :o It took a while before I realised I could use the Planters from the Supernatural expansion to protect my plants. However, that led to another problem, plants in planters don't get watered from the automatic sprinkler, and it is very time-consuming to water all the plants.

Is there any way to automate the watering of plants in planters?

Cheers.

Offline KRae

• Watcher
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2013, 07:02:50 PM »
I got the stonesthrow greenhouse and built a greenhouse in the backyard. It protects the plants and the gardening station that comes with it auto waters.

Offline fortheloveofcake

• Immortal
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2013, 06:23:59 AM »
You don't need the green house set though, you ca just build a regular room with a roof and no flooring and use moveobjects on to let things be planted inside it. I imagine the sprinklers would work like this. The plants will not be affected by the seasons.

When you live, live with your soul, not with your time.
When you love, love with your heart, not with your mind.
When you want to be something, the world can't define, open up your eyes.

Offline MeestorMark

• Townie
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2013, 06:55:12 PM »
When I tried that fortheloveofcake, my plants still couldn't be harvested in the winter. They would say "harvest" as their state but sims couldn't harvest them until spring.

I haven't tried it for quite a while though. Maybe a game update changed things.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2013, 08:09:43 PM »
I have the same problem, MeestorMark.  I believe I have a bad installation of the greenhouse that might be causing the problem.  My proposed solution is to completely uninstall the greenhouse and every little item that came with it, then download and install it again.  I think the trick may be that you have to get every item that came with it.  I'm going to use the list of items that the game shows as part of the set to make sure I get all of them.  I can't guarantee that this will help you because I haven't done it myself yet, but I'll try to let you know what happens.  :)

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline Mahmeya

• Townie
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2013, 10:13:02 AM »
Lil tip: If you have level 9+ scientist and high-skilled gardener (ideally in one sim), you can scan and thus clone seeds of money tree or omniplant. Sometimes it will boost it to perfect quality.
And my sim managed to get moneytree seed while time travelling to future.

One question: does omniplant's quality affect the produce anyhow -  will perfect omniplant grow better produce than outstanding?