Gogowars329 - Marooned Orphanage
11 (33.3%)
ekobeko - Hope Orphanage
3 (9.1%)
Vinyl - Home Sweet Stronghold
14 (42.4%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: January 31, 2013, 06:20:22 AM

Author Topic: Building Contest 2013: 1 - Suspicious Survivors and Transformed Townies  (Read 8801 times)

Offline Gogowars329

• Watcher
Re: Building Contest 2013: 1 - Suspicious Survivors and Transformed Townies
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 05:42:01 PM »
Congratulations Vinyl!

Thank you to everyone who voted for me and to  samoht, Lilygirl and Ausette for the contest.

Any comments on my build are welcome.
Gogowars Inc - The place to find all of my wonderful Sims 3 creations

Offline Vinyl

• I hear plumbobs are worth a fortune on the black market
  • Occult
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 07:09:26 PM »
Thanks again!  This was such a fun contest to play with.  I'll admit I was kind of nervous when I saw everyone else building orphanages, and there I was hiding darts in the walls!

Constructive criticism on the build would be much appreciated.  I don't really make a lot of "finished" houses.  Most of the time my sims start poor and get ultra efficient boxes to live in.  The box walls slide out as they need more stuff, and then when they finally have the money for a proper home I look at all of the items I'd have to pick up first and generally decide not to bother.   ::)

Ladybug53 - I really loved the shell of your building.  I'm still picking it apart, trying to figure out how you made such cool shapes!  I like the tilework in your kitchen and how you placed the diagonal island.  It might sound silly, but I'd never thought of doing that before.  The living room also looked really nice in terms of decor and colour, very lived in and liveable.  Only suggestion I might make is that the rooms/house might've been too large for the budget so they were a bit empty-ish, but then if the house was smaller the outside wouldn't have looked the same (so awesome!), so it's a catch-22.  And I noticed the wear patterns you painted around the playground equipment - nice touch! 

Gogowars329 - Your build felt very tailored to the survivor group, a design and decor the Altos would choose.  I noticed right away the efficient layout (I'm a double-wide hall and door kinda gal myself) and I love the main floor bathroom with two entrances to prevent jams.  That's a huge sticking point for me when playing (pardon the pun).  I also immediately yoinked the birch pattern off the wall of the main floor nursery, it was too pretty not to save.  In general the exterior, landscaping, and decor were all really nicely done with attention paid to the details.  The only thing I might suggest changing would be to turn the study/gym into another bedroom, and to put the study/gym items into the second floor hall/main room instead.  I felt kinda bad for the poor children, all scrunched up in one room in the orphanage, but then I remembered it was the Altos in charge and I have to admit, it really fits how they'd run things.  If you did that intentionally, hats off to you!   :D

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline bubbles

• Dynasty Novice
  • Watcher
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 02:37:20 AM »
Well done to everyone who entered the contest! All the builds were amazing and I found it really hard to pick a favourite.
Bubbles's Workshop
Friends are like potatoes; if you eat them, they die. My friends friend.

Offline Gogowars329

• Watcher
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 04:56:35 PM »
Gogowars329 - Your build felt very tailored to the survivor group, a design and decor the Altos would choose.  I noticed right away the efficient layout (I'm a double-wide hall and door kinda gal myself) and I love the main floor bathroom with two entrances to prevent jams.  That's a huge sticking point for me when playing (pardon the pun).  I also immediately yoinked the birch pattern off the wall of the main floor nursery, it was too pretty not to save.  In general the exterior, landscaping, and decor were all really nicely done with attention paid to the details.  The only thing I might suggest changing would be to turn the study/gym into another bedroom, and to put the study/gym items into the second floor hall/main room instead.  I felt kinda bad for the poor children, all scrunched up in one room in the orphanage, but then I remembered it was the Altos in charge and I have to admit, it really fits how they'd run things.  If you did that intentionally, hats off to you!   :D
Thank you! I can definitely say that it was one of my better builds. Originally there wasn't a gym/study but a bedroom but there were way too many beds (You definitely can't have 14 Sims in one household!) so I changed it to a gym/study.

@ladybug I loved the look of the house from the front. It looked really cool. I think that a lot of the rooms were too open and empty. The kitchen was beautifully done. Overall I really liked you build.

@Vinyl I originally was going to do something similar to you but I couldn't get my head around the WA traps and decided an orphanage would be better. I love how the windows all have fencing around them, great idea. I loved your use of the WA traps aswell.
Gogowars Inc - The place to find all of my wonderful Sims 3 creations

Offline ladybug53

• Watcher
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 05:51:24 PM »
@  Gogowars329 . I loved your entry . It has a very warm and friendly look . The perfect home for an orphanage . Also you did a great job on your decor .  :)
Memories have no expiration date .
ladybug53's Studio

Offline ekobeko

• Townie
  • Seasons is here!!
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 07:41:10 AM »
@ Vinyl Your entry was absolutely amazing! I never could have done all those things with traps.I loved it!

Offline Vinyl

• Occult
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 08:34:13 AM »
Thanks Ekobeko!  You didn't mention if you want comments on your build, but I hope some praise is okay - I have to tell you the snowcone machine in the kitchen made me smile in real life.  It was such a sweet little touch!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ekobeko

• Townie
  • Seasons is here!!
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, 09:02:31 AM »
Any comments on my build are welcome too. Thanks Vinyl. Since this was my first entry I forgot to mention it.

Offline Vinyl

• Occult
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2013, 09:48:46 AM »
Good to hear, because I've got some more praise for the build.  ;)  I really appreciated how much of a kid-oriented feel it had.  I'm currently playing an orphanage challenge file, and your house is what I aspire to having my sim achieve (I'd move the family right in, but they're poor.  So very, very poor!)

The playground in the back was so cute, and the abundance of toys and skilling objects quite clever.  I really like the terrariums in the bedrooms - and the fact each kid got their own rooms (and then some)! 

I don't really have any criticism about the house, but since I keep looking at it in my bin and wishing I could move my orphans into it, there's a couple of changes I'd make for my play style and figure I'd share them.  Like the bathrooms on the second floor - I'd make one only toilet stalls, and split the other to turn it into two shower rooms to prevent privacy issues.  And since I've lost an inventor before, I'd add a small shower room on the same level as the workbench.  Other than swapping the spiral stairs for regular ones, which I do with every household larger than one sim (my sims don't path well on their own, as you might've guessed by now), there isn't much more I'd change.

Your orphanage was designed with such warmth and heart - I really hope to see more of your builds in future contests!   :)

Offline ekobeko

• Townie
  • Seasons is here!!
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2013, 02:39:56 PM »
Thanks again. I really had a though time with the toilets but in the end I did it like that. Also for the shower for inventing I must say that it didn't even cross my mind. I'm not much of a builder so thanks for the tip about the stairs too.