Author Topic: A Bouquet of Blossoms (Immortal Dynasty) - Week 25  (Read 8962 times)

Offline cathyknits

• Watcher
A Bouquet of Blossoms: Week 1
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 09:59:16 PM »
Week 1: Meet Lilac

So, hi. I'm Lilac Blossom. I'm a fairy.

Well, umm, actually, about that...I used to be a fairy. I made the Queen angry, and she took my wings away. She sent me to live in this little mortal town called Riverview. At least she let me keep my kitty, Cobweb.

She gave me this list of rules I've got to follow. And my daughter. And her daughter. And so on. Down to the eighth generation? Good grief. I can't even think of eight generations. And if we can all follow all the Queen's (arbitrary, whimsical, and capricious!) rules, I'll get my wings back, and so will my line. I hope I get pink ones. Or maybe purple. She'll probably give me yellow, anyways.

I knew I was going to need friends and helper-outers - I was going to need portraits, and I'm not a painter! So I went looking around town and there was this awesome house with zillions of flowers and a lady who grew them that I just had to say hi to.

Her name was Meadow and she was a scientist and she loved sunflowers and she was so much like me we were friends almost immediately! It was like we were sisters! Except my sister doesn't talk to herself.

But I knew I had to go meet other people so I went to City Hall. And I said hi to everyone, because you never know who you're going to meet. Like a painter.

His name was Billy. He wasn't like my brother. He was kind of crude. The Queen would have yelled at him for burping. But he was pretty much the best painter in town. So I invited him and Meadow to camp out in my big empty yard.

Meadow thought my big empty yard would have room for way more flowers than her little yard, and she agreed to move in with me before bedtime. I had to work on Billy a little more, but he said yes, too, the next morning. And he was rich! He had money, and a fast car. We used his money to build a house.

Meadow insisted on the sunflowers on the porch, and she planted a garden with lots of fruits and herbs in it, and she's learning to cook. We could have built a bigger house if we'd sold Billy's car, but I liked going fast. So we kept it.

The Queen's rules said I had to get a job and be the best ever at it. I wasn't sure what kind of job to get, but I followed some butterflies to a place that sold things for making alchemy elixirs, and I thought I'd like that, so I made that my job. (Making the elixirs. Not selling things.)

Billy's job was art. He started out painting, and he got good enough that he could paint my picture in just a couple days. So I asked him to try sculpting, because the Queen's rules say that if he makes enough ice sculptures she'll make them not melt for me. He said sure, why not, and started working on clay.

Riverview is a little stranger than I thought it would be. They have a literal witch doctor. I wonder whether he uses spells or medicines on his patients?

And also zombies. They tried to eat Meadow's garden, but we got a fence and a funny little plant that shoots at them and turns them back to normal. The first one came on Friday.

So that was my first week...of a lot. It's gonna take a long time for eight generations to get old.
Immortal Dynasty: A Bouquet of Blossoms

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shady eyes* Not me.
Re: A Bouquet of Blossoms (Immortal Dynasty)
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 10:14:31 PM »
Welcome Lilac!  Billy & Meadow are great choices!  I love your new founder, cathy.  Good luck and fingers crossed that you Mama's skin tone passes along well!
Origin ID: Ricalynn
Current Active Stories: Artie's TS4 Dynasty || Grim Rivalries

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious

Offline Toni

• Sydrian Bookworm
  • Occult
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 10:21:30 PM »
Good Luck!

Louise56

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 10:41:42 AM »
Great start! Your founder is very cute. Good luck with your dynasty. :)

Offline cathyknits

• Watcher
A Bouquet of Blossoms: Week 2
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 01:48:02 PM »
Week 2: New Skills, New Friends

So Billy kept up with sculpting. He started working on big ice blocks.

Sometimes he played with the ice blocks instead. He's such a goof sometimes.

He's been a good sport about the ice blocks - he needs to sculpt 25 of them! Before my birthday! Which is soon! So he got this neato van that takes care of him while he sits in it, so he can stay up late and doesn't need to pee in the toilet. Sculpt faster, Billy! Sculpt faster!

Billy was actually given a certificate of mastery for sculpting. I mastered alchemy, too, but I didn't get a certificate. I found out they don't give alchemy certificates. Rats!

I knew all the recipes, and I still had a lot of elixirs to make and use, but I also found out that alchemy doesn't offer much in the way of opportunities. So I decided that I'd take up fishing instead of Meadow. (I knew Meadow would be disappointed, so I got her a camera for a present.)

And the grocery store gave me the opportunity to sell them some fish! My first one! Five more to go! Take that, Queen, and your silly rules!. (Did I say that out loud?) I got a gizmo that helps me find gems, butterflies, and seeds. And I learned how to take care of bees, because a lot of the really valuable elixirs need beeswax. The alchemy store lets me keep the honey and wax if I tend the bees.

The rules also say I have to make a lot of friends, so I still said hi to everyone I met, like Vadim Simovitch and Roxie Lin.

And I made some elixirs that really speed up making friends, even best friends! I'm charming enough to do it the old-fashioned way, but I don't have time...

Meadow had plenty of time. She quit her science job. So she had time to learn to use the camera, and practice more cooking, and make friends with Cobweb. (I've hardly had time to pet her.)

She also made friends with our neighbor-across-the-street-who's-a-witch-but-isn't-the-witch-doctor, Jon Lessen. He plays guitar in a rock band. And then she got engaged to him. I think this definitely counts as a whirlwind romance.

Meadow says she doesn't believe in marriage, so she just invited him to move in. He brought a kitty, too! (And another fast car. And a broomstick.)The first night he lived here, he was very tired when he got home from work, so I gave him and Meadow some energy elixirs for a not-getting-married present. I think they put them to good use.

I haven't had a whirlwind romance. I haven't had a romance at all. Meadow brought me to a party at her parents' house so I could meet more people, but everyone there was old, or taken, or old and taken, or not old but taken and a werewolf and hitting on me anyways. Nobody made sparks fly.

I hope my special someone comes along soon. I'm not getting any younger!

Aside: I hope Lilac's coloring passes down, too, Rica! I definitely can't wait to see the nooboo.

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone! I'm finding this format (one game week, one post) easier to keep up with than the Tanners. Epic stories are all well and good, but I kind of ran out of steam, and some of the restrictions I'd put on myself were making the game less fun.

Louise56

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 02:00:11 PM »
I hope she find that special someone soon. Great update. :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

TheTripWasInfraGreen

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 02:02:13 PM »
Yeah, I know the feeling of writing taking the fun out of playing a dynasty. I'm enjoying the format here, though!

Oh, and congrats to Meadow and Jon. :)

Offline Gogowars329

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 05:09:38 PM »
This is a great start Cathy! Hope everything goes well.
Gogowars Inc - The place to find all of my wonderful Sims 3 creations

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Cruising the Danube, Amsterdam=>Budapest Dec 2018
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 07:34:51 PM »
Lovely sims, lovely town, lovely story. Hope the bouquet goes well for you, Cathy.

I love that picture of Billy sculpting with the pea shooter flower behind him.

Offline cathyknits

• Watcher
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 10:52:27 AM »
I love that picture of Billy sculpting with the pea shooter flower behind him.

It's his bodyguard. The sculpting drone doesn't even get to stop for a full moon!

Offline cathyknits

• Watcher
A Bouquet of Blossoms: Week 3
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 09:04:38 AM »
Week 3: Birthday Bonanza!

I think Meadow and Jon must have really enjoyed the energy elixir. Meadow found out she was going to have a baby!

And she must have changed her mind about not believing in marriage (hey, why'd she ask him in the first place?), 'cuz she and Jon asked me and Billy to be witnesses for their wedding!

(Billy was happy to get the break from sculpting. But he got all 25 ice blocks done, with two days to go before my birthday! So he sculpted and painted me, and Meadow took my picture. Scratch three more lines off the to-do list! And two more than that - I bought the Deep-Fried Diner and the cat park!)

And then everybody had a birthday. Meadow and Jon's baby had his zerowth. (He's Robin Redbreast Carpenter-Rhodes-Lessen. I think I will call him Rob, because that's a really long name. I'm his Used-To-Be-A-Fairy Godmother! And Meadow went to the hospital. She said Dr. Wilson used medicines, not spells. I'm disappointed.)

Billy and I got old-er.

And Jon and Meadow got just plain old.

And at the end of the week, Rob had another birthday. (I'm not sure this is fair, but he's a lot more fun now.) He definitely takes after Jon more than Meadow.

We all kept working on our skills this week. Billy and Jon both want to be masters of the guitar, and they found out they could learn better if they practiced together.

(Jon actually retired from his job. Less work, more art, he said.)

Meadow kept growing her garden - she has seven perfect plants now! One more to go! And there's life plants in the garden now! And she got her certificate for gardening! Go Meadow!

And I kept fishing, and made a bunch more energy elixirs and threw them at people, and they seemed to like that. But all the opportunities I got offered were to go to France, or Egypt, or China and catch fish from there. I can't go there! The Queen says I have to stay in Riverview! Please, grocery store, ask me for fish I can catch here in Riverview!

The saddest thing all week: poor Cobweb got fleas, and had to get a bath. She hated it, but not as much as she hated the fleas. Then a cat-washing robot got delivered. I don't even want to know.

Billy told me something I didn't expect. He told me that when he was painting me, all he could think about was how pretty I was. And I told him he was nice to look at, too. And we watched the stars together. And then he kissed me. And one thing led to another...

Was my special someone right here with me the whole time? There were sparks. And I think he wants to ask me to marry him. I think I might say yes if he does. The Queen doesn't need to know he has terrible table manners (and they're not nearly as bad as Shirley Lin's, anyways. I didn't know werewolves ate cake by squatting on the table and mashing their face into the slice...). Besides, I'm not after someone to take home to Her Majesty - just to keep me company for a little while...

And I'm craving watermelons, really badly.

Aside: Really, EA? The only slippers available to an elder male are the bunny feet? Jon is grousing at me about how he just wanted a pair of plain ol' house shoes, but he'll take the darn rabbits if that's all he can get...

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shady eyes* Not me.
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 12:16:54 PM »
I know.  I hate the fact that there's only one type of slippers in that stage too.   

Everyone looks so great!  Congratulations on getting everything done for the YA stage.  Now it should all be easier.  C'mon rainboo!
Origin ID: Ricalynn
Current Active Stories: Artie's TS4 Dynasty || Grim Rivalries

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious

Offline cathyknits

• Watcher
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 11:07:41 AM »
Week 4: Seeing Some Success

Umm, yeah. I was "knocked up", as Billy put it. That doesn't seem like the best term for the miracle of new life, but I guess if that's what he wanted to call it... At any rate, I knew what I had to do there. I had a Wish Enhancing Elixir, and then...

I succeeded at my biggest wish, when I used my 50th elixir! I still had a lot more to make, and a few more to throw at people, but still, this was a big milestone. (And the elixir worked. I was very happy.)

And then I ran home from the library and proposed to Billy. (I decided not to wait for him to ask me.)

We got married right away.

We kind of had to, because I went into labor that night. Suddenly the miracle of new life wasn't so miraculous.

Billy was no help either. I told him to get out. I hope he realized it was just the pain talking. (He must have. He only went as far as the living room. I could hear him and Jon playing guitar.)

I decided not to go to the hospital - what was the fun in that, if Dr. Wilson used medicine and not spells? I almost wished for medicine at some point, but then...

...my baby girl Dahlia was in my arms.

Whew! She was worth it. Beautiful and perfect in every way. (And of course I'd say that if she had a harelip and eleven fingers. But she doesn't.)

After that, we had to all get back to work. We built a pond in the yard, and I caught enough Alley Catfish to stock the pond with them.

The kitties also learned to fish, and I'm surprised by some of what they're bringing home. How does a wee little thing like Roxy drag a 350-kg crocodile out of a pond that only has Alley Catfish in it? But they caught some frogs, too, and I know that was one of the things that the grocery store asked me for that I could only get in France, so maybe they'll catch enough to stock the pond with those, too? The people at the grocery store said that if I put two frogs in an aquarium, they'd have baby frogs, so I did that. And this week I would have welcomed getting calls asking for frogs - I got no opportunities offered, just married men and men half my age asking for dates! Argh!

I also found a lot of unusual seeds for Meadow's garden. I hope some of them are life fruits. And also that some of them are money trees. Money trees would make everything a lot easier. Should I be surprised that a lot of them turn up near the stone circle? I think that's a fairy ring. Being there makes me a little sad when I think about how long I have to go.

Speaking of Meadow's garden - she got her wish for eight perfect plants one morning in her sleep! But she forgot to take a Wish Enhancing Elixir before bed, so it didn't make her as happy as it could have. With that done, she started going to the library to study cooking.

Jon went to the library with her, because it seems to be the best place to meet new people. The people of Riverview seem to be quite studious. (He wants a certificate for charisma, and he needs a lot of friends to do that.)

Billy kept on painting and sculpting, and one day he got his painting certificate! (Maybe I'll get one for fishing?)

The only birthday this week was Dahlia, growing into a toddler.

...which meant even more work! Robin learned to walk, talk, and potty.

Plus, he read a lot of books about painting.

Dahlia only got to walking and pottying. (Potty was a high priority.) But that's okay, because Robin had a head start.

In a way having two toddlers in the house was a blessing, because they could play together.

...and I didn't mind having toys to play with, either. (I know I'm supposed to be a grownup, but the dollhouse is a lot of fun.)

At the end of the week, all the adults in the house needed a break from the babies, so when Jon got a party invitation, we all went. The kids were left with a babysitter. Fortunately we got a good one. (I've heard some babysitters don't actually sit the babies, they just watch TV and eat all your food...)

No matter how wonderful your kids are, sometimes you just need a few hours off...

Aside: Nope, no rainboo. At least she kept Lilac's pink hair. And there's always the chance for the coloring to skip a generation.

Robin seems to have gained a day - his birthday should have been on Saturday, but it wasn't until the following Sunday. I wonder what happened?

Offline Tilia

• Watcher
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 06:23:59 PM »
Loving this so far.  I get aging glitches like that too.  Not sure there's any particular reason for them.

Offline Posidem

• Dutch of the Sea
  • Llama Wrangler
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2012, 11:07:50 PM »
I love the story for the intro and it's going along great! Can't wait to see more! :D

Offline cathyknits

• Watcher
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 10:53:21 AM »
Week 5: School days for Rob and Dahlia

We started the week with more birthdays: Rob grew up to a Child...

...and Cobweb became an Elder. My poor kitty! She doesn't look any different, but she moves a little more creaky. (And Billy laughed at her. I was mad at him for that. It isn't funny when your kitty gets creaky!)

She still brings home lots of fish, though. I have enough frogs that if the restaurant calls me for frogs again, I will be able to give them frogs! And I'm learning other things, too, so that more people will call to offer me opportunities. Logic! Who would have thought I would ever learn logic? I'm not logical! I also (gulp) got a real job-job, since I was officially a Highly Successful Alchemist and I could quit being a professional alchemist at all. (Jon said jobs had opportunities, and I need a lot of them.) I went to work with Dr. Wilson at the hospital. (Then he died, like, the next day! That was kind of sad. I was even sadder that I had to get a new boss - I didn't like working for a stranger.) The job was icky - I did not know that people in hospitals used their own kind of potty chair! Or that my job would be to empty them! But at least I got paid for it. A little. And I could still go fishing. I caught a deathfish! I need to catch more of them to put into the pond in our yard so I won't have to go to the graveyard at night. I'm a little scared of the ghosts.

Robin went off to school, and joined Scouts. He's learning to fish and garden, and he even earned the knot-tying badge, but I think he really prefers to paint.

He still took time to play with Dahlia.

I took time to teach her to talk.

Jon took time to take her to the library and read her a lot of baby books. Just in time - she had her birthday, too, and you can't read her baby books anymore!

She joined Scouts, too. And she and Robin keep each other company on the bus.

Doing homework is a lot faster with a friend, too.

She also says her doll Hermia is real. Doesn't she have a good imagination?

Billy said the house is a lot quieter without me and Rob and Dahlia in it during the day. We kind of made the house bigger without actually making it bigger. When the kids asked for separate bedrooms, we found a way to put in stairs to the attic instead of just leaving it empty and atticky. There's two bedrooms up there now and one bathroom, and there can be another bathroom later if we want one. We made the kitchen a little better, too. Meadow got a food-copying robot to put in it and poked it with her wrench until it remembered twice as many copies of the food. Then she learned the (super expensive!) recipe for Ambrosia, and filled the robot with it. "Just in case." So we have 60 dishes of ambrosia we can eat before someone else has to know the recipe.

I'm glad she didn't put any ghost chilis into the ambrosia. Those didn't look fun to eat... (Meadow said it was fun, but Meadow wears her formal gown to bed and argues with herself. I don't think I think the same things are fun that she does.)

I wonder how the ambrosia will taste when I get to eat it? Life fruit smells good. I hope I get to find out. It can't be much longer...

Jon kept practicing his guitar, and kept going to the library to talk to people (aren't people supposed to be quiet at the library? How does he talk to people if the librarian shushes him? Except I never noticed a librarian.) When he made friends with a very smart werewolf, he got his big wish! And he remembered the elixir, so he was super-happy! I wish Meadow had remembered her elixir.

After he did that, he decided it was time to start working on his witchy powers. He'd never used them for anything but broom riding, but, he said, it was time to see what he could do. (I thought that was very strange. If I had my fairy powers, I would use them all the time.)

We had another party at the end of the week, this time at our house. Dahlia invited her school friends over and they slept in sleeping bags on the yard - just like me and Billy and Meadow on my first day! Except they thought sleeping in sleeping bags was extra-fun, and we all thought it was uncomfortable. Also, they got pizza instead of roasted marshmallows.

Mmmmm. Marshmallows. I should go roast a marshmallow.

Aside: I just realized that as a Childish sim, Lilac could have learned those 3 points of logic she struggled with in an eyeblink by reading the toddler books. Whoops!

Also, Ghost Chili face may rival Labor Face for Best Sim Facial Expression. Also a good reminder not to leave the life fruit in the inventory of the insane sim.

Offline Tilia

• Watcher
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 11:39:25 AM »
Yay for pink haired little girls!  The color suits her daddy's skin tone well.

The ghost chili seems to always give my Sims negative moodlets.  Are there any Sims who actually enjoy eating it, I wonder?

Offline cathyknits

• Watcher
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 10:43:28 AM »
Week 6: Up And Down

This week was like riding on a roller-coaster. I think. I've never ridden a roller coaster. But I was happy one minute and super-sad the next, all week.

Rob became a Teen! A very good-looking one. He joined Art Club at school and they started to teach him sculpting, but he's learning more about painting on his own than the club can teach him.

And then Meadow died! She did not even live to see him graduate! She was only 90! I didn't know you could die that young!

My very first friend...even if she wore her formal to bed and argued with herself, she was very special to me.

We put her gravestone at the cemetery (she got the "Mostly Happy" one because she forgot that elixir...), and put her mother's there too. I don't know what happened to her dad, but there's a new family in their house now. Jon said Meadow's old house is still empty. I wonder who takes care of the flowers?

I got to stop cleaning potty chairs at work, and start giving shots! It must have been a long time since anyone gave shots in Riverview - they sent me to the playground and like 20 people were there swarming around me wanting their shots! I only got most of them, but "most" was 17! They said that was a lot, and I did a good job. Plus, I got to meet a lot of people I didn't know before.

(Not the one I needed to meet. Work gave me the last Opportunity I needed: two doctors were having a fight over their lab and they wanted me to settle it. I knew one of them and helped him out and that made me his best friend, but I'd never even heard of the other one and when I tried to call him to help him stop fighting he just said "Who the heck are you?" and hung up and nobody else knew him either and I almost wonder if work was playing a joke on me but it made Travis McDermott my best friend and I needed best friends so it was okay.)

Then Dahlia became a teen! Also beautiful. When I showed a picture to my friends at work they said Billy will need a shotgun. I thought they meant to shoot her for being beautiful, and I thought that was silly, but then they explained that it was to shoot the boys.

The thing is, if he shot the boys, that would be Rob. As soon as she was done picking out clothes, she ran right upstairs and dragged him away from the easel to ask him to go to prom. (I don't blame her.) He said yes. (I don't blame him.)

They made a very pretty couple in their limo. They were Prom King and Queen! When they came home, they were officially boyfriend and girlfriend, too, even though the King and Queen don't have to be. I think Robin asked Dahlia.

While they were at prom, Billy stopped being old-er and started being old. He didn't care that the kids weren't there.

The next day was my birthday. After that, I just needed to be painted and sculpted and photographed again, and I needed one Opportunity, and I needed to make Best Friends with some of my Good Friends. (I decided to try it with charm instead of elixirs, but it was good to know I still had elixirs in the cupboard just in case.) Jon leaned Photography after Meadow died - he spent the whole time between that and my birthday practicing, and he got the certificate of mastery just in time! But...but...

He was at the library, actually helping me, trying to find out if anyone knew the hanging-up-on-me doctor. Nobody did. And then he died. (I think he was 96.)

It was a good thing they made me Rob's used-to-be-a-fairy-godmother, because he lost both his parents so quick! But I think they knew it was going to happen since they were almost Elders when he was born. Billy and I will take care of him like he was our own son, or maybe son-in-law? We put his gravestone next to Meadow's and Ms. Carpenter's. Maybe now fishing for deathfish won't be so scary, because two of the ghosts will be my friends.

It was hard to be happy about my own birthday. But I still had to have it. You don't get to cancel your birthday just because your friends are ghosts.

Billy cheered the kids up that weekend by giving them their driving lessons in his neato van. (In the middle of the night, but who cares, when the van can keep you energetic and happy?)

I gave Rob the keys to his dad's fast car, since he can't fly a broom, since he isn't a witch. (Billy said that if I can drive a sportscar safely, anyone can.) Billy said he's got all Jon's notes about how to get really good at photography in a hurry, so he'll do that while we wait for my Opportunity.

Aside:Tilia, I do think Meadow got a positive moodlet from eating the chili. She's Insane. I'd guess Daredevils get a positive moodlet, too.

I was really surprised by Dahlia getting Prom Queen because it was only her second day of high school. She must have already known a lot of the teens from when they were children.

That opportunity was really frustrating, and I almost wonder if it's new - I've never had it before. When I accepted the opportunity, the first action was "Talk to Travis", and that worked just fine. The second action chained, but instead of going to where the other guy was, Lilac called him on the phone, and got "I need to be more friendly with him." The thing was, even though he was described as a doctor, he wasn't in Lilac's work relationships, and in her overall relationships, he was listed as a Stranger with no available actions to contact him. His last name didn't match any of the households with homes. Never saw him out in public. I had no idea how to proceed with the opportunity...but it was going to be the sixth black op. Argh!

Billy and Lilac make surprisingly good-looking Elders, and I was even able to carry over Lilac's everyday wardrobe! Yay!

I didn't want to be this good at power-skilling photography. But it really can be maxed, plus at least one and maybe two of the skill challenges done, in two or three game days, even without using the Motive Mobile. It helps that in Riverview all the buildings register properly (although there's no beach).

Rob got the driving-lessons glitch where somehow teacher and student end up out of the car across town from each other. Usually when this happened to me before, it resulted in invisible sims, but the patch must have fixed-it-ish - Rob started running over to where Billy was, with the blue bar for his third point of Driving filling up as he went, and the "Learn to Drive" action wouldn't cancel. And then he got picked up for a curfew violation, because he and his adult were across town from each other at 4 AM. Whee! But that's better than invisible sims.

Louise56

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2012, 02:40:50 PM »
R.I.P Meadow and Jon. It is not long before your first immortal now. :)

Offline cathyknits

• Watcher
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2012, 10:00:19 PM »
Week 7: I Hope Immortality Isn't Boring

Roxy! Roxy is the best kitty ever! Even if she got old this week and will be a ghost soon.

Roxy is the best kitty ever because she caught a crocodile! Weeks ago! And I thought it was too strange to sell it! And then when the Science Lab called and said "Hey, can you catch a crocodile for us?" I said "Does one my kitty caught count?" and they said "Sure why not" and so I gave them Roxy's crocodile and that was my sixth opportunity! I didn't need to find the guy who keeps hanging up on me anymore!

So Billy sculpted me one last time.

And we went over the Queen's List Of Rules and made sure everything was done, and it was.

So that night I sat down for dinner with Dahlia. She had waffles, and I had one of the dishes of Ambrosia that Meadow made.

It tasted kind of...opposite of itself. The life fruit is sweet, and the deathfish is kind of nasty, and together it's...both. And when I ate it I started to sparkle. It didn't tickle like fairy dust, it was...different. Maybe older magic than fairies. That's kind of frightening.

I wish it could have made me young again, too - I'm going to be an old lady for a long time. The first thing I did was retire from the hospital. They're going to keep sending me money for not working, even though I didn't work there for very long. (I liked giving shots, but not the other stuff, but there's no way to just give shots all the time.)

I tried to think about what I was going to do for forever. It was nice to just be able to go catch butterflies, and not worry about whether the phone call was an opportunity or some guy trying to date me because I didn't have to answer the phone for the dates in case they were opportunities. Can I spend ages as an old lady collecting rocks and seeds and butterflies? I guess I'll see.

Dahlia knows what she has to do now, too. She's decided to work on Gardening, and take a job at the science lab, like Meadow had. But the first thing she did was take out Meadow's whole garden. "I'm still in high school, Mom! I can't spend eight hours a day weeding and harvesting like Aunt Meadow could." At least that meant we could actually play in the sprinkler for a little bit.

She's growing up so fast. Billy said he walked in on her and Rob kissing and took a picture of them before they  noticed he was there. He's going to use that one for her museum. And she also grew her hair out, because the pigtails were "juvenile".

They graduate soon, and start their grownup lives, and maybe I'll just be the old lady who got the biggest bedroom because I lived here first... And Billy will be a ghost soon. And the garden will be Dahlia's garden, when she plants it again, instead of Meadow's garden. So... does being immortal mean everything changes but me?

Aside: Louise, it wasn't long at all!

Lilac's stats at Immortality:
Traits: Childish, Gatherer, Friendly, Loves The Outdoors, Lucky
Career: Self-Employed Alchemist
Supermaxed skill: Alchemy
Lifetime Wish: Alchemical Artisan
Real Estate: Hogan's Deep-Fried Diner (Building), Litter Acres Cat Jungle (Property)
Black Ops: Fresh Fish (Fishing), Allow Me To Introduce Myself (Charisma), The Great Argyle Sinclair (Logic), Riddle Away (Logic), Caring for the Careless (Medical), Crocodile Hunting (Fishing)
Friends: Billy Caspian, Billy's Fast Car, Cobweb Blossom, Travis McDermott, Alana Washington, Shirley Lin
Unique LTR's: Collection Helper, Fireproof Homestead, Bookshop Bargainer
First ambrosia: Week 7, Day 2, Age 73

This is the first time I've ever gotten to "Best Friends" with a vehicle. :)

Also, it's nice to get School and Career opportunities. Until and unless that bug is fixed, I don't think I'd try this challenge or any other that require a certain number of BlackOps in a town with combined rabbit-holes.

...and even though Rob and Dahlia were both in the photograph when Billy took it, it registered as "My Child Dahlia Blossom". So it's good there. What's the fun of having an Inappropriate dad if he can't put an embarassing photo in your museum for your Teen piece?

TheTripWasInfraGreen

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2012, 10:06:38 PM »
Everyone loves Billy's car, but maybe not to that extent. Congrats Lilac!

Offline Tilia

• Watcher
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2012, 10:23:30 PM »
Aw, poor Roxy.  I haven't had a pet death in my gameplay yet, but I have a feeling I'll handle it like a small child.

Louise56

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2012, 02:10:00 AM »
Congrats on your first immortal! ;D
I love the picture after she eats ambrosia..

Offline cathyknits

• Watcher
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2013, 12:15:45 PM »
Week 8: Meet Dahlia, Amidst Much Excitement

I always knew there was something odd about my mom. None of the other kids, for one, had moms who played dolls with them. Or dotted their i's with little hearts - even most of my friends had stopped doing that before high school. I thought she was just flighty - and I guess she is, in a more literal way. She told me, finally, what was going on: she's secretly a fairy, who got her powers taken away by the Queen (she never would say why...) and she has to earn her wings back by fulfilling a kind of arbitrary list of requirements, along with me, and our descendants... I guess I'm on board with this, however strange it sounds - and, heck, I get to be a fairy too, when everything is said and done. I've already bought my real estate - the bookstore and the dog park - and now that Mom's finished her checklist and eaten ambrosia, I get to start giving the weekly updates.

Things started out innocuously enough. Dad earned his Lifetime Wish, after an all-nighter playing guitar out in the yard. (It's a good thing the neighbors are a, spread out kind of far up here on the hill, and b, used to Uncle Jon staging the occasional very noisy concert, back in the day, at his old place.)

Robin had his birthday that same day.

...which was nice, but also a little annoying, because we were hands-off until I had my own a little later.

Adulthood: Reached. Job: Gotten. (I joined the Science career, for both my job and my Lifetime Wish. Robin, on the other hand, wants to master as many skills as possible - he's going to start with painting, sculpting, and cooking.) Romance was back on! Kissing him was even better than I remembered.

And then it was the second-biggest day of my life to date. I didn't get to start work right away, because it was Graduation for me, Robin, and about half the other teens in town.

I got "Most Likely To Publish A Best-Seller." (Wrong! I couldn't be less interested in writing.) I got Valedictorian! (Right, and I earned every point in that grade point! Sorry, Robin. Someone has to be second.)  I got engaged!

Technically not part of the graduation ceremony. But I suppose I couldn't resist the theatrical gesture. When we got home, Mom was jumping up and down with excitement - literally. Not only was Robin going to "really be her son", she'd gotten a letter from the Queen of the Fairies. "She says that because I successfully raised a daughter to adulthood, I'm apparently responsible enough to be trusted with a passport! We can go to France! Let's go to France!" (On some level it terrifies me that my father is the mature one...and I remind myself of that as he burps the ABC song after dinner...) We had to talk her into letting us change out of the robes before we went - she was all but dragging us by the arm down the driveway to the van.

France was...a lot of fun. Mostly. We decided that we wanted to buy a vacation home there - some green gems Mom had found turned out to be insanely valuable due to potential military applications, and I'd finally found three money tree seeds, so we weren't hurting for money (and probably never will be again). But someone needed to earn a high-level visa. I apparently answered to "someone" this week - and Robin was my willing assistant.

So while Mom fished and collected metals and gems, and Dad played guitar for the locals, Robin and I explored fabulous underground ruins.

And I discovered that any bug that answers to "pede" just has too many legs. I know I'm a scientist, and a gardener, and I should be okay with bugs, but I think I have the right to draw the line somewhere, and this is where I'm drawing it. Six legs, good. Eight legs, okay. More legs than I can count at a casual glance? No way.

And I eventually got my visa upgraded to Level 3.

That let us get this lovely house - kind of quiet, out of the way.

And the former maid's quarters was easy to turn into an art studio. For the rest of our vacation, Robin sculpted (he mastered the skill and the finer art of ice carving!) and Dad painted, Mom kept collecting gems and metals, and I gathered botanical specimens to bring home for the garden - and kept looking for ancient coins and relics.

I got almost, but not quite, enough ancient coins to buy a fancy tent. It sounds like I'm going to have to go to China to pick up a rock smashing tool to do any more exploring in France, though. (What a sacrifice that will be! It will be terrible, just terrible...)

When we got home, my first day of work passed in a blur. Mom stocked her pond with frogs. I'd say I didn't know why she was so excited about it, but I was strangely thrilled to plant all the grapes and tree fruits I'd picked up in France, too, so I can forgive her this one time.

My first day of work was my last day of work for a while, too, thanks to generous personal leave policies - they gave me time off for my wedding! Robin and I decided to have a formal party, with guests from school and my work, although we still used the arch in the backyard.

We tried for a baby right away.

I think it worked. I'm simultaneously starving and nauseous. And craving watermelons? Oh, goodness. I think I'm looking at even more time off work than the wedding leave.

But now it's a race - Dad just turned 90. So who will come first, the Grim Reaper or the baby?

Aside: Sorry about the delay. It took a long time to play through a 15-day vacation in France! And yet there wasn't enough story there to make it into two updates. I was very disappointed about not getting enough coins for the Sultan's Tabernacle, but there was the notorious glitch with the Adventure Board for most of the rest of the vacation. (Adventures started coming up again at noon on Day 15...)

For what it's worth, the house is a custom build that I tried to make match the style of the rest of Champs-les-Sims. It's loosely based on a 1910s-era house plan. I'm not totally happy with it, but that might be because I don't like the super-tall roofs - if I made one more tweak, I'd either lower the roof on the wing, or put a dormer on it. On the other hand there's a nice-sized attic up there if I find I need more indoor space.

anything