Author Topic: Sims 3 - Saves not appearing in main menu  (Read 13191 times)

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
Sims 3 - Saves not appearing in main menu
« on: January 01, 2013, 01:29:58 PM »
Since this problem is not strictly related to Union Cove and seem to appear with any world, I am making a separate tread for it.

Problem is that once you start the game, no saves appear in main menu, but they are present in Saves folder. There is no corrupted save there (no .bad folders). If you start new game and do save or save as, game will act normally and save without any error message. Once you leave in main menu no saves appear. In Saves folder, new folder is there with that saved game.

Sometimes, saves do appear in main menu but dissapear later. 

Comparing files in some old saves and the current one, I find that same 4 files are created for saved file for UC with Pets and for UC with Seasons. In some old Bridgeport saves I find the 5th file Bridgeportxxxxx.package that I don't know what it is, and would appreciate someone with more knowledge to help.

I've look around and find few possible solutions but no cause to this.

-Some had this happen when having more than 50 saves in their Saves folder. Keeping your saves in other folder and keeping up to 50 or desirable less in active Saves folder might solve the problem.

-Factory reset helped someone too. Rename the active Sims 3 folder into something else and let the game generate new one. then copy back the Saves you want to play. More informations about it here.

None of these works for me, and for some others too. There is a workaround that does work but is annoying to perform each time if I want to play. Still a good sign that saves are not lost.

I saved Sunset Valley just after loading new game there, and exit to main menu. After making sure it does appear in main menu, I deleted files in Sunset Valley save folder, copied files from UC save into that empty Sunset Valley saves folder and loaded the game again. It was still appearing in Main Menu and I successfully loaded the UC save that way (even if the save was named Sunset Valley it still loaded the game just where I saved it in UC) and manage to play and did the save as again. Of course, it didn't appear in Saved games in Main Menu but new saves folder was created.It looks like I will had to do it every time I wish to play that save file.

I do have all EPs but not all SP's. Also, I use couple of Twallan's mods that are updated (Debugger, Porter, Master Controller and No CD), no store, no CC. My game is fully patched. I've read reports from people not using any mods and not using user made worlds.

I am hoping that someone will figure the reason of this happening and that we can find better solution for a happy simming.

Ana

Offline lizbit

• Nooboo
Re: Saves not appearing in main menu
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 02:07:15 PM »
I am having the same problem, but my saves are only "going bad" in UC.  I have tried all the supposed fixes, but nothing is working.

I tinkered a bit and found that if I play with the numbers after the union cove seasons_0x#######.nhd and .package files, I can get them to show up as selectable, but they are still not playable. Also, ALL of my potential saves from UC have only zeros in the number series after those files, so if I change one number to an actual number, it at least lets it show up (but no screen shot). Maybe this will help someone who knows more about the coding than I know figure out what is happening.

As long as I am not playing in UC it seems to work fine.
For example, I created a family in UC, saved the game and now can't play that save file. However, I can see that family in CAS and played them in Moonlight Falls, and saved that file and can play that file.

I really hope someone finds a fix to this pretty soon, because I really like UC.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Odie

• Occult
  • Dutch mommy living in Norway
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 02:19:28 PM »
I have this problem too unfortunately. I have installed the new version of UC with the special workaround and I can load the world fine. I went straight into edit town, changed a few things and saved. The save is in the Saves folder, but doesn't show up in the main menu of the game. I have tried the workaround for the not appearing saves, but that doesn't make a difference. I have tried different other approaches, but no luck. Besides, I have this problem only in UC. Naga's SV, worlds from EA and worlds from other simmers work just fine...

I noticed the weird number for Union Cove Seasons too. Do you mean that if you change the numbers, it will become playable?

Edit: I am convinced that the problem is this file: Union Cove _0x00000000ExportDB.package
That file is missing from my UC save. That file was always in my older saves, similar files appear in saves of other worlds. So only the most recent version of UC doesn't have that file in the save folder, and I have only problems with the saves from UC. Therefor I think that is the problem. I don't think it is a problem that it has only zero's, that was already the case with the previous version of UC and that worked just fine. I think the file shouldn't be missing.

I have copied that package file from an old save in the new one and renamed it as it should be, but that doesn't work since simple the data doesn't match the save. I do see the save in my main menu, but with a message "that it cannot be loaded because it is probably saved with data from an expansion that is no longer on this computer". It makes sense because there is simply other data of other sims in that older file.
I hope this helps you guys some steps further to find the solution! I really really would like to play UC again!

Another edit: Closer to the solution! I found the source of the problem and I can load the game yay! :))
Now I get it. The problem is indeed the missing file: Union Cove _0x00000000ExportDB.package

I believe that the use of this file is simply to show (export) the save to the main menu.
And now I understand why your workaround works. And how it works. And why my way (and probably that of others) didn't work.

Follow these 5 steps:
1. The trick is to have/make a save file that you don't really need. Any save file will do. As long as it shows up in the main menu of the game. Make it easy for yourself and call it "Test".
2. Go in to the game in to the main menu where you can see that save file Test.
The next thing is important: do not leave/close the main menu of the game!
3. Use the windows button (between your left ctrl and alt buttons) or alt+tab to go to the desktop.
4. Now change the content of the Test save file to the save of UC you need. Do not change the folder name So make sure that in Test you delete all old stuff and paste all files of the UC save you want.
5. Now you can switch back to the main menu of your game where the Test save still is (with different content in it now) and you can load your game.

Yay, it worked for me, finally! Anushka, I think the workaround explanation has to be adjusted a little so that it is clear not to close the main menu and not to change the name of the save file that does appear in the main menu.

The reason why this works like this:
The Test save has already been exported to the menu with the previous content in it. When you keep that folder and keep the main menu open, you will not need the exportfile for that folder again because it is already there. Just changing the content is possible and now the save will have your game in it.

This is still not the full solution, but it will help everybody to load the game I hope. It is up you guys (Anushka and the team) to have the exportfile for us, I think. This is also missing from the save file that people use that don't have all ep's. If you would put it in there I could copy it from there. Still, there should be a solution that also new save files will have the export file. Good luck with that! Hope you're happy with my help :)

Note that the next time you start the game, your last save Test, won't show up in the main menu again, since it is missing the export file. So each time you start playing you have to follow these 5 steps again. Until there is a permanent solution.

Thinking about it some more, some of you maybe think that this all has been said on the Guide where you download UC. I believe if my pointers would be added, it would be clear for all of us (since many of us had questions and problems). On top of that I think I have found the reason for the problem and with that I hope to have made a solution closer. :)
Problem? Don't panic! There is always a solution. You just have to find it  :D

Mappin

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 04:23:52 PM »
Thank you Anushka for discovering that you could swap out the save folder contents to restore a game, and thank you Odie for clarifying the instructions and pinpointing the issue! I've now got my latest Union Cove game file open again and am thrilled it wasn't lost forever.  ;D

At this point, my immediate plans are to leave my game open for the forseeable future and just Alt-Tab it to minimize when necessary.   

Offline Odie

• Occult
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 04:27:00 PM »
Thank you Anushka for discovering that you could swap out the save folder contents to restore a game, and thank you Odie for clarifying the instructions and pinpointing the issue! I've now got my latest Union Cove game file open again and am thrilled it wasn't lost forever.  ;D

At this point, my immediate plans are to leave my game open for the forseeable future and just Alt-Tab it to minimize when necessary.

You're welcome, glad to be of help.
I wouldn't recommend keeping your game always open and your computer always on. Your computer gets slower and it might also freeze. Do save often, because else your progress will be lost.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 11:33:05 PM »
I give up. I worked for hours this evening trying to get the ExportDB.package file to appear so I could package it with the save file. I uninstalled expansions, tinkered with save files and tried numerous ways to trick the system, but nothing worked. This is a very unfortunate bug and my results indicate it's not going to be fixed by us. It's an internal problem with saving and EA is going to need to release a bug fix. If anyone can come up with a solution, I salute you.

Odie big thanks for clarifying things. I edited in your suggestions and confirmed they work. I gave you credit and linked to this topic for anyone who wants more details. Perhaps someone out there will provide some means of fixing this before EA gets to it. It's a very frustrating problem as I know Anushka put a lot of time into this. Now we encounter such a problem that is going to affect a lot of players, many of whom will not have the knowledge or patience to handle this.

Offline shibamistress

• Townie
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 01:11:20 AM »
Well, I tried this, and followed the instructions noted by Odie, above (which are clearer than the instructions listed on the UC downloads page--more on that in a moment).

I've tried it three times now. Everytime I get the same message:  A serious error has occurred.  Restart the application.

At first I thought this was because I was leaving the main menu.  From the UC download page, it wasn't clear 1) that I shouldn't leave the main menu and 2) how to NOT do that, so I very much appreciated Odie's instructions which were very clear on what to do and how to do it.

However, it still doesnt work for me. 

I kind of wish I hadn't been so quick to delete the old version of UC, because I guess until this is fixed--if it is--I'm not going to be able to play the new version.  And as much as I love this world, and I do, I just don't want to have to go through steps 1-5 above every time I want to play the game (especially since I can't get it to work anyway!   ;D

I'm kicking myself now for being so eager for the new version that I uninstalled the old one, since now I'll have to reinstall it all over again if I want to play UC, I guess.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 02:01:36 AM »
I further clarified the instructions on the Download page, so thank you for the feedback. Perhaps it's best to start a game then immediately choose the main menu option, save before exiting then alt-tab out to make the file swap. I got the same error once but now it's working fine  ???

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 03:26:49 AM »
Ok think I have the solution, at least for UC. Change any 0 in Union Cove Seasons_0x00000000.nhd to any other number, just one of them.

Load the game, and the UC save is visible in the menu. If you tried to load with the wrong number it will crash immediately.

Change the number back to a 0 in windows explorer while keeping the game menu open.

Go back in, load successfully and come here to let me know it works please :)

I'll publish this in the instructions once I see some feedback.

This builds on Odie's idea, and I just had a Eureka moment so hope this works for everyone.

Edit: Anyone try it on other worlds not working as well. We'll still have to flip numbers to load games until the fix comes but this is much more convenient.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 10:08:19 AM »
I tried this, and it does work, but...

I play in full screen mode, so other people who do that have to change to windows mode.

Also, every time you save and quit, you have to go through the process again to get your saved game to show up.

And, as I mentioned on the Union Cove Technical Issues thread, if you have Windows 7 (don't know about other platforms), you have to include (x86) after Program Files.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline what3ver

• Nooboo
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 10:10:15 AM »
Carl: Your method worked. :-)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 10:28:12 AM »
Thanks you both. I clarified for full screen users to alt-tab, as in Odie's original instructions. This fix is now on the download page so others can use it :)

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 10:42:52 AM »
I am glad I am not the only one that has noticed this.  I thought I was losing my mind, I knew I had saved, but when I went back into the game, the saved game was not at the beginning like it is suppose to be. 

I also have to have to wonder if anyone else is getting the script error message when the launcher comes up.  The save problem started about the same time I started getting this message.  I just click yes and it doesn't effect my game, but I wonder if it is connected somehow.

Edit:  I don't have UC, so this is happening in regular games.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline shibamistress

• Townie
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 03:42:51 AM »
I was able to load UC version 2, finally, with this new work around.  I think some of my problems last night were simply related to being tired....I may have renamed the wrong package file, for example, so I uninstalled all UC stuff and then reinstalled it.

Looks good so far, though interestinglythis take way longer to load than the old UC did for me.

Anyway, thanks for figuring a way to get the saves to show up!

Offline Odie

• Occult
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 01:09:16 PM »
Thanks for the credits Carl. I am happy to help.
I actually just couldn't stand it ;)
I mean, I was first so happy with the updated UC, and then so dissapointed and frustrated that it didn't work because of once again an annoying bug... that I just had to keep searching and searching until I found a solution that worked.

I couldn't believe your post where you said "I give up"! Didn't sound like something you would say. ;D
I am very happy with your adjustment with the number change, because that does make the workaround a lot easier. Thanks a lot, and I hope that one of you will find the permanent solution.

I was thinking some more... Isn't it possible that the second workaround (of the saves) is necessary due to the first workaround (of being able to see the world)? Maybe because the world isn't completely properly installed it is missing one little thing? That would make sense to me.