Poll

Which were your three favourite entries?

Chuckles_82 - Evergreen Lifestyle
10 (13.3%)
Jaaaaks - Eco Bungalow
2 (2.7%)
Decima - Sherwood Treetops
10 (13.3%)
Neashaleigh - Eco D-Lite
4 (5.3%)
ladybug53 - Eco Living
2 (2.7%)
Vinyl - The Outside-In Eco Home
7 (9.3%)
NearlyWitches - Living the Green Dream
2 (2.7%)
Snufflesxx - Living beside the Trees
5 (6.7%)
Gogowars329 - Serene Dream
5 (6.7%)
saltpastillen - The Eco Cottage
6 (8%)
AradiaJoy - The Economic
2 (2.7%)
hazelnut - Hill House
6 (8%)
rahmbr - Safe Haven
6 (8%)
Lilygirl - House: Eco-Lovers' Haven
8 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: February 15, 2013, 07:18:40 AM

Author Topic: Building Contest 2013: 2 - The Eco Dream  (Read 14443 times)

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Building Contest 2013: 2 - The Eco Dream
« on: January 23, 2013, 02:10:42 PM »

Building Contests 2013: 2 - The Eco Dream

The Task:
Eco-friendly designs result in sheek, natural designs of crisp detail. So many people now dream of owning a self-sustainable, eco-friendly home. Something about the natural design just appeals to people, whether it's the roof-top gardens, the maximised use of natural light through the insulated, double glazed windows or bringing the outside in. Your goal is to build such a house, to build a house surrounded by nature that works with nature.

Additional Information:
You may wish to use the following free store sets: Earth Day and Toyota Prius (Language must be set to United States to download).

Entry Specifications:
  • Lot Type: Residential
  • Lot Size: 40x40 and Under
  • Budget: $70,000
  • Content Restrictions: There are no additional content restrictions.
  • Number of Bed Spaces: Minimum of 2
  • Other Specifications:
    • Garden
    • Natural Light in ALL rooms
    • Eco Theme
  • Optional Specifications:
    • Recycle Bins
    • Wind Turbines
    • Solar Panels

Contest Start Date: Sunday, 27th January - 12:00am
Contest End Date: Saturday, 9th February - 11:59pm

For instructions on how to enter the Contests follow this link.

Only post in this thread if you are posting an entry or you are asking a question, we would prefer however if questions were PMed to us. If you have any questions please PM the Contest Team: samoht04, Lilygirl and Ausette. Ensure all receive your question to ensure it gets answered as quickly as possible.

Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Chuckles_82

Re: Building Contest 2013: 2 - The Eco Dream
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 08:25:30 AM »
This is such a fantastic idea for a build! I love it! I've just got back from a weekend away with the kids, and it's the first thing I've jumped into. Here is my entry.

Evergreen Lifestyle

Lot Size: 20x15 - best placed on Beryl lane, Hidden Springs, opposite the Beryl Forest Festival & Campgrounds
Lot Value: 47, 004
Number of bed Spaces: 3
Content Used: Base Game, Ambitions, Seasons, Pets, Showtime, Generations, Outdoor Living Stuff, Nightlife, Townlife Stuff, Supernatural, Toyota Prius set, Seasons Wall Deco Set
Description: Relax all year round in a home that embraces nature.  Our architects have used all recycled, reused and renewable resources to bring you a home that sustains the environment. With cross ventilation to all living spaces, maximum use of natural light, solar energy systems and grey water management, this really is state-of-the-art sustainable living. Features include:

- Gentle night time light from natural beeswax candles (even 'green' lightbulbs contain mercury and damage the environment. Over 150 million lightbulbs were sold last year)
- Companion planted gardens which take advantage of the natural slope of the block for more efficient watering.
- A grey water system to collect run-off from the gardens, roof, and waste water from the house.
- Solar panels on the roof provide energy for heating water
- During cloudy periods, you can generate your own electricity and maintain a healthy lifestyle, by using the exercise bike!
- Natural gas cooking is the cleanest, most efficient and environmentally friendly solution for your kitchen, and cheap too!
- Bamboo floors - bamboo is one of the best renewable resources for building, because it only takes 6 years to grow
- A combination of local timbers and stone, and recycled timber and stone reduce environmental impact by reducing production and transport impacts.
- Stone larder provides a natural cold room for you food storage.
- State of the art 'no gap' window screening system detects the heat from the windows, and adjusts the blinds accordingly to maintain a comfortable inside temperature.
- Retractable shade sails on front and back deck
- Compact design and steel beam support system minimises the impact on the local environment by reducing the disturbance beneath the structure (steel beam support system removed from download because steel beams won't stay in the ground when placing the lot).
- Raked ceilings and wide eves help keep the house cool in summer.
- The new slim-line steam shower reduces water usage by 99%!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Jaaaaks

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 12:04:49 AM »
Here we go, first shot at a building contest!

Eco Bungalow
Lot Size: 30 x 30
Bedrooms: 4 bed spaces
Bathrooms: 1
Lot Value:  62,236
Requires expansion/Sims 3 store content: Ambitions, Late Night, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, Earth Day
Description: Built overtop a pond, this Asian-spiced house boasts large windows to look out to the back walkway. This relatively simple house uses an open floor plan, along with two bedrooms; one for a couple and another for two kids. In the living area, a back door leads to another walkway which splits; one goes to a lounging area with a gorgeous terrace, the other leads back to real ground where a beautiful garden is well maintained.

Here's the front.

This is a backview shot, taken from the left side. There's a handmade terrace there as well. You can see snippets of the garden up close.

And here's how the house looks like from the back, into the inside!

This is the view of the living space from the bar/eating counter.

And this is the view of the little reading corner right by the entrance of the house. This is from the other side of the kitchen.

Here's a view of the "go green" office; you can see a bit of the bar peeking in on the right.

The only bathroom. The shower is partially obscured by the window.

Room one, two beds. Easel against the window, and a dresser. Not much.

A little hard to see, but here we are, master bedroom. A crib is there as well as a dresser.

Floor plan!

Offline Neashaleigh

• Immortal
  • Divergent
    • The Sims - Houses
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 03:49:38 AM »
What does it mean by "natural light"?
*´¨)
 ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.• Neasha Leigh

The Sims 3 - Houses
My Sims 3 Studio
My Sims 4 Studio

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 03:53:25 AM »
What does it mean by "natural light"?

Artificial Light comes from Lamps, Lights, Chandeliers, etc. Natural Light comes from the Sun, through windows. :)

Offline Neashaleigh

• Immortal
  • Divergent
    • The Sims - Houses
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 03:59:49 AM »
Ah right. Hmm... ok. Thanks :)
*´¨)
 ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.• Neasha Leigh

The Sims 3 - Houses
My Sims 3 Studio
My Sims 4 Studio

Offline Decima

• Townie
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 08:09:37 AM »
Sherwood Treetops
By Decima

Lot type: Residential
Lot size: 40x30
Bedrooms: 1
Bathrooms: 1
Suggested Placement: 74 Landgrab Avenue, Sunset Valley
Unfurnished price on lot: 37,429
Furnished price on lot: 61,480
Content Used: World Adventures, Ambitions, Pets, Generation, Town Life, Outdoor Living
Free store content: Topper plant Wind turbine

Welcome to Sherwood Treetops! Perfect for outdoor lovers and gardeners. It comprises of an entrance pod, open air living area, bathroom/kitchen pod and bedroom pod a with living roof. All connected with stairs, bridges and walkways. Outside there's wind turbines, a garden, ponds, BBQ area, washing line, car parking space and bicycle. It really is an outside lovers dream!

Everything used is made from the forest or reclaimed from the local junkyard. Move your Jungle Jane in today!  ;D

Link to download thread:
http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,14469.0.html

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Neashaleigh

• Immortal
  • Divergent
    • The Sims - Houses
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 08:58:01 AM »
Eco D-Lite

Lot Size: 30x30
Cost furnished: §68,970
Cost unfurnished: §47,609
Expansion Packs: SN, Pets, LN, WA, Seas, ST, GEN
Stuff Packs: Dies, HEL, ODL, TL
Store Items: Leaftastic (from the free Earth Day set), Solar Panel from the Toyota Prius Family Pack (free), Season Decal: Spring - Free with Seasons

This modern style house utilises natural light from the large windows situated in every room. An open plan gives the feeling of space and light in this small home. No electrical lighting used, but a few candles are placed in strategic locations to give ambient light in the evening.

The house sits on small stumps which allow a breeze to flow all around and underneath, which will help to cool the house in summer. 2 solar panels sit on the roof among rich grasses, which also help cool as well as keep bills down. The garden is kept to a minimalist standard to allow for plenty of view out of the huge windows.

Plenty of activities are included to keep your Sim busy. This is important as there is no television or stereo. And if all else fails, your Sim can enjoy a relaxing sun-bathe on the roof or pick organic fruits and vegetables from the roof-top garden.

Download link here.
*´¨)
 ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.• Neasha Leigh

The Sims 3 - Houses
My Sims 3 Studio
My Sims 4 Studio

Offline ladybug53

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 04:21:10 PM »
Eco Living .
by ladybug53

Lot Size : 30 x 30 .
Cost Furnished : 68,506 .
Cost Unfurnished : 40,464 .

Expansions Used : Generations - Seasons - Ambitions - World Adventure .
Stuff Packs Used : None .
Free Store Items : Earth Day and Toyota Prius
No CCs or Modes were used .

Main Floor : Living Room , Kitchen with sitting area , Bathroom .
Second Floor : Master Bedroom with Bathroom .  Loft with Skill Room and Powder Room .
Outside : Patio with grill , garden .

The Sunset Valley mayor is encouraging every sim to be more energy efficient and Eco friendly . Simon hired the best architect and contractor in the city to build him such a home . The contractor built a lovely modern house with the most energy efficient windows and doors . The home has a lot of windows to let in all the natural light. One of the most important things that Simon wanted was a turbine and four solar panels to be more efficient and self contained .  The home also has all the recycle bins plus a garbage compactor . Planting a garden was all part of it as well .

Click to enlarge image .

Download :  Here
Memories have no expiration date .
ladybug53's Studio

Offline Vinyl

• I hear plumbobs are worth a fortune on the black market
  • Occult
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 06:31:59 PM »
The Outside-In Eco Home
Lot Size: 20x15
Lot Value: $49,512
Content Used: All Expansions, Free Toyota Prius Pack (Solar Panel)
Number of Bed Spaces: 2
Description:  This environmentally friendly home is built directly into a natural hillside.  The walls are made of compressed earth, the floors and ceilings are recovered wide-plank pine, the furnishings are upcycled antique pieces upholstered in remnant vintage fabrics, and the "roof" is a wildflower delight full of native plants.  Solar panels provide more than enough electricity for the ultra-efficient washing machine and dishwasher, while a rain collector on the roof supplements the lot's natural aquifer.  The house and lot are purposefully small to minimize their environmental footprint. 

The retractable wall in the main living area allows full enjoyment of the outdoors any time of year.  Radiant floor heating keeps the home toasty, and the woodburning fireplace helps drive away the deepest frost.  Deciduous trees provide shade in summer, and let the sun's warmth in during winter.  The small indoor greenhouse allows year round organic produce.  Even repurposed antique china serving dishes get eco-friendly when they find new lives as planter pots and pet food dishes!

The outside of the home is nature free and untamed.  A butterfly garden attracts many visitors, while wildflowers pop up all over the yard.  There's no need for artificial fragrances when lavender tickles the laundry hanging on the clothesline.  There's even a natural sundial in the garden, where the shadow of the wooden sculpture touches lazy daisy o'clock (6:00 am), marvellous marigold o'clock (noon), and party pansy o'clock (6:00 pm).  A hive of busy bees keep the plants growing and the house lit.  The small pond under the willow makes a great swimming hole, but watch out for the goldfish - they tickle! 

Notes:
-The mailbox and garbage can might change position on lot placement.  Moveobjects on will let you shift them beside the peony bush as per the pictures (mailbox post in the daisy ground cover, and the garbage can's back against the recycling bin) - or anywhere else you like.
-The flower sundial was designed for 2200 or 2300 Pinochle Point in Sunset Valley.  If your lot is oriented differently, the clock can be "reset" by placing the flower clusters wherever the wood statue shadow hits 6:00 am, noon, and 6:00 pm.  If Seasons is installed, summer is the best time to set the clock.
-Fireproofing the fireplace is highly recommended, either through the handiness skill or the lifetime reward. 

Offline NearlyWitches

• Professional Procrastinator
  • Occult
  • Geronimo.
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 07:21:58 AM »
Living the Green Dream
Building Contest 2013: 2 - The Eco Dream
I'm glad I waited to enter a building contest, as soon as I saw it I knew I had to build an entry!
Lot size: 30x20
Unfurnished Cost: 39,007
Furnished Cost: 58,708
Bed Spaces: 3

Expansion packs used: World Adventures, Ambitions, Pets, Generations, Supernatural, Late Night
Stuff packs used: Master Suite stuff, Town Life stuff, High-end Loft stuff
Store Content: Earth Day
No CC or Mods used.
Description:
From recycled furniture to it's own water collection system, this house helps the owners live the eco dream. Thanks to Twinbrook's new green initiative, a new generation of houses are being built to last well into the future. Built over a pond and being so close to the Twinbrook sea allows the house to rely on hydro power to cause minimal pollution and still keep everything running.

Perfect for a small family who values the environment and perfectly adapted to it's surroundings, green living is encouraged through an eco-friendly design scheme, bicycles for different age groups and a separate 'eco room' where old clothes that need to be taken to the charity shop live and all manner of recycling bins are housed so that everything that can be recycled is recycled. Family politics are also considered as there is a large window that not only adds light but lets the parents see if the kids are really asleep.

Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you.

Offline Snufflesxx

• Sherlockian
  • Watcher
  • Every puzzle has an answer
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 03:05:32 PM »
Living beside the Trees

Building Contest 2012: 2 - The Eco Dream

This is my first ever attempt at a building contest. It just sounded fun and so I thought I'd try it.

Lot size - 40 x 40
Cost (furnished) - 52,637
Bed spaces - 3
Bathroom(s) - 1
Expansion pack used - Ambitions, Showtime, Seasons, Supernatural, Generations, Pets, World Adventures
Store content - None

No CC or Mods used.

Description - Take your love of nature to a new (and crazy) level. Your neighbours will gaze in admiration (and confusion) as they see two large trees growing up from inside your house. Miracle? No, it's just architecture!
So what does this house give you? It gives you a house that revolves around the wonder of nature! It even comes with a already growing garden!

The outside (sorry about the lamppost!)

The kitchen: everything fits around the tree!

This is the relaxing room. No fussy technology at all! Paint, enjoy a book, or just watch the world walk by!

The bathroom.

The main bedroom: look out on to the glory of nature when you wake through your triple-glazed windows! Let in the sunlight!

And a room for the little ones. Complete with toys from 'when I was your age'. No plastic! Have fun with wood!

Top floor.

First floor.

Ground floor.
** My Stories **

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research." - Sherlock

Offline Gogowars329

• Watcher
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 04:53:25 AM »
Building Contest 2013, #2
The Eco Dream

Name: Serene Dream
Lot Size: 20 x 25
Bedrooms and Bathrooms: 1 br and 1 ba
Cost Furnished: $68,327
Cost Unfurnished:  $46,193
EP and SPs: Ambitions, (Dresser, Laundry Machine, Laundry Basket, Clothesline, Hose) Late Night, (Couches, TV, Candles, Fence in Bathroom) Pets, (Umbrella, Candles, Toilet, Shower, Loungers) Master Suite, (Flowers, Candles) Showtime, (Stools, Trees, Bed, Veranda Fence, Outdoor Couch) Supernatural, (Stove) Seasons (Coffee Table, Dining Table, Art)
Store Content: Toyota Prius (Solar Panels)

Serene Dream is the combined work of two eco-friendly Sims trying to make Lunar Lakes much more environmentally friendly. While still modern and futuristic, the house remains very friendly to the environment. All power is produced from the six solar panels on the roof. The windows on the roof allow natural light into the upstairs room. A water tank collects water to be used on the garden. Candles are used instead of light bulbs to reduce the energy bills and amount the light bulbs that would eventually be thrown away.

The windows are all large to allow natural light into all rooms. The washing machine uses recycled water and a dryer is replaced by a clothes line. The wood used in the house is all reused wood from older houses. The house also has a recycling bin, trash compacter and a regular bin for rubbish that can’t be put into the other bins.

Note: While made in Lunar Lakes, this does not come with the Lunar Lakes mailbox or any other content from Lunar Lakes. Since the water tank is technically a room, I have made sure it does get natural light.
Gogowars Inc - The place to find all of my wonderful Sims 3 creations

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 12:16:02 PM »
The Eco Cottage

Lot Size: 35x25
Price furnished: §69,981
EP's used: Base, Amb, WA, Gen, Pets, Seasons, SN, ST
SP's used: Town Life, Master Suite, Outdoor Living
Store content used: Toyota Prius set, Earth day set, More Holiday Presents set
Number of bathrooms:1

Description:

If you are looking for a way to merge an eco-friendly lifestyle and traditional architecture - look no further! The Eco Cottage was created by refurbishing an old cottage; taking care to keep the quaint exterior with it's traditional front garden, bringing the the old orchard back to life, replanting the large vegetable garden, stocking the pond with fish and by adding some wind mills and solar panels to make the house more energy efficient.

The ground floor has a large combined living/kitchen/dining room with an open floor plan and rustic furnishings. The large windows let in plenty of light, and the fireplace and candles/gas lamps provide extra light in the night time. Out back there is a bbq patio with seating and a sun room with a second fire place. The sun room is the perfect place to relax with a game of chess after a stressful day at work. The door from the sun room leads to a laundry/wood-keeping area and the entrance to the vegetable garden. The vegetable garden has lots of room for new plants and there is a beehive for those who prefer honey to sugar in their cooking. There is a large outdoor work area and a sink to wash up in.

The second floor houses a bedroom loft and full bath. The bathroom has a shower (no bathtub since it wastes so much water) and plenty of storage. The bedroom has a work area/desk and an easel for capturing the magnificent views from the house.   

We hope this house will appeal to those who want's a more rural life, a slower place and lot's of fresh air.

Download link [~ added by Lilygirl]

Offline AradiaJoy

• Nooboo
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 06:02:45 PM »
Sorry about the photos, I'm new and didn't really know how to upload them! -_-

The Economic

Lot Size: 40x40
Price furnished: §69,928
EP's used: Base, Amb, WA, Gen, Seasons, Supernatural.
SP's used: Master Suite, Outdoor Living, Fast Lane.
Store content used: Earth day set
Number of bathrooms:1

Perfect for the family of 4!

Pictures:
http://s1218.beta.photobucket.com/user/taisdelmar/library/The%20Economic