Author Topic: Building Contests: Feedback, Suggestions and Ideas  (Read 22590 times)

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Building Contests: Feedback, Suggestions and Ideas
« on: February 01, 2013, 05:11:51 PM »

Building Contest: Feedback, Suggestions and Ideas

This Thread is for any feedback, suggestions and ideas. Please keep the feedback constructive and the suggestions sensible and practical. We would like to hear any feedback on how to improve the contests! So any ideas, suggestions or feedback on how things are going or you think could be improved are welcome!

The original threads has been moved to the graveyard, this is to allow for fresh ideas.
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline Snufflesxx

• Sherlockian
  • Watcher
  • Every puzzle has an answer
Re: Building Contests: Feedback, Suggestions and Ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 08:55:33 AM »
I came up with what I think is quite a good idea. You know that short clip that is shown just before the game launches? It has a few houses on it - the task could be to recreate one of those houses based on the quick view that you get in that little video.

I also had a few other rough ideas: a rainbow house, a community lot for PlantSims (which will come with University but won't be required to take part), a awards venue (think BAFTAs, Oscars, etc) & house dedicated to your country (flag colours, styles that you might find in your country or area, etc)
** My Stories **

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research." - Sherlock

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Caterina

• Occult
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 05:25:21 PM »
Feedback - I love the Minimalist Starter contest.  The entries are all great and there are SO many!

Idea - Create a house using only the templates.  Items may be recolored only.  Nothing can be repositioned.  Optional:  Allow decorative items.

Offline lunaura

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 11:33:24 PM »
Idea - There are many supernatural sims out there now, but not many homes that cater to each 'flavor' of sim. We now have Vampires, Werewolves, Witches, Fairies, Genies, Ghosts, Zombies and Mummies (And Plant sims, come Universities). However, we don't really have any place specifically for each type. My suggestion is to make a house that will make each playable sim (which means no zombies) feel completely at home. One way to do this could be a house for a specific type, or for each of them in one building ala Hotel Transylvania. How to do that is up to the happy builders.

Offline PrincessMimi

• Townie
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 06:24:51 PM »
I really like contest where you have to build a low budget, small house. It makes it easier for us beginner builders!

Offline Jaaaaks

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 10:34:03 PM »
I think there's a pretty nice group of us who enjoyed the latest challenge. To make it more interesting, what if we also threw in some other requirements? (ie: needs to have a second floor, the following items... etc.)

I also was hoping we could bring back the two part building contests; the last one with a creative exterior (the llama). We could do something similar or themed (ie: best exterior Victorian/Cottage/Modern) and decor.

Actually what I'd love to see was kind of the 'Let's Build' idea. Someone builds a big shell to be voted on, and then each room had a theme (style/colour?), have its individual contest. It could be one of those "long term" things.

Offline Vinyl

• I hear plumbobs are worth a fortune on the black market
  • Occult
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 12:15:48 PM »
I'd love to see the Example Entry topic stickied.  It's hiding on the second page now, bumped down by all of the awesome building contest entries.   :D

Going by what I wished I could find on the swap shop, here's a few ideas for contests:

-A new base camp.  Not necessarily the massive ones travelling sims default to in the WA worlds, but perhaps a small, intimate base camp to replace some of the simple camps (I believe the lot sizes aren't that large).  It can be frustrating spending the equivalent of a couple of cars to send a couple on a luxurious vacation that consists of eating salad and sleeping in tents.  I'd love to see some luxurious or themed alternatives to plonk down in the worlds.  Those without the expansions can build a hangout or residential lot to the same specifications for submission, or could build a base camp for a non-WA world - those I'd really love to see!  (I'd suggest a generous build allowance, since I'm really hoping for non-cheap beds and non-cold showers for a change.  :P)

-A skill venue/school/hangout/residence.  Inspired by University, I'd love to have a place to send sims where they could learn and focus on one skill in particular.  Like an art school, with easels and sculpting stations ready and waiting to go.  Anyone with any expansion could easily participate.

-A boarding house (or dorm).  Now that uncontrollable roommates are an option, I'd love to have a house designed around that common room/private room concept. 

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline samoht04

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 06:27:05 AM »
There are some really great ideas in here, I'm sure you'll be seeing some of these in the future!  ;)

I'd love to see the Example Entry topic stickied.  It's hiding on the second page now, bumped down by all of the awesome building contest entries.   :D

Done. ;)

Offline Snufflesxx

• Sherlockian
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 12:36:59 PM »
Idea:

I'd love to see another contest requiring a small build - similar to the Minimalist Starter contest, but obviously not the same.

Feedback: I loved the Larger than Life contest! It would be great to see more contests like that, where it's a bit more creative  :)
** My Stories **

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research." - Sherlock

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 01:39:08 PM »
I'd love to see a contest with a very generous budget (for those extreeeemely wealthy sims out there). It could have other limitations, such as making it very luxurious or in a specific style. I would just love to she what the builders can come up with when price wasn't as big an issue.

Chuckles_82

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 09:50:22 PM »
A contest where you may not make your own recolours. Everything must be what is already available in the colour swatches and wall/floors provided, and EA's recolours in their own buildings. Eg: you find a good pattern on a sofa in Bridgeport, you may save and use that for something.

Offline samoht04

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 04:29:04 AM »
Idea:

I'd love to see another contest requiring a small build - similar to the Minimalist Starter contest, but obviously not the same.

Feedback: I loved the Larger than Life contest! It would be great to see more contests like that, where it's a bit more creative  :)

Small Builds are definitely on the list, we've noticed they are a lot more popular than the bigger ones. They may not always be minimalist or in the same form but small lot sizes are a priority. :)

I'd love to see a contest with a very generous budget (for those extreeeemely wealthy sims out there). It could have other limitations, such as making it very luxurious or in a specific style. I would just love to she what the builders can come up with when price wasn't as big an issue.

Another good idea, it would have to have limitations to stop you all building and building over the deadline though! ;)

A contest where you may not make your own recolours. Everything must be what is already available in the colour swatches and wall/floors provided, and EA's recolours in their own buildings. Eg: you find a good pattern on a sofa in Bridgeport, you may save and use that for something.

Sounds very Sims 2-ish, Lol. An interesting idea that would be cool to see, almost like building a Townie House.

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 04:37:51 AM »

What a cool idea! I would have to spend hours combing through each world looking for great patterns and recolors though. I know some people do, but I'm usually more focused on playing or building my own stuff, sounds like a fun way to expand your knowledge of the worlds.

Offline Neashaleigh

• Immortal
  • Divergent
    • The Sims - Houses
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 04:44:17 AM »
Some great ideas here!

One thing I thought of, which had been on my mind for a while until I finally tackled the problem yesterday... is a Family Mansion to house 8 Sims... on a 10x10 lot.

Yes.. it's possible. I've done it! Just can't seem to upload it :o And since I've done it, I'd be happy to sit that one out if necessary if we ever did it as a competition.
*´¨)
 ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.• Neasha Leigh

The Sims 3 - Houses
My Sims 3 Studio
My Sims 4 Studio

Offline Odinsdottir

• Spline Reticulator
  • Occult
  • Artistic, Natural Cook, Cat Person, Insane, Flirty
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 06:35:35 PM »
I was thinking of trying to make an aesthetically pleasing house without using any items from the decorative categories, or otherwise limiting the types of items that can be used, so say, items with the lowest environmental ratings and no painting or plants or things like that. 
x, EAOdinsdottir.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 10:00:55 PM »
Here's one that popped into my head after reading what Odinsdottir wrote. What about a contest where you have to cater your build to a specific trait or set of traits? Like a house with no artwork at all for a sim who Can't Stand Art , or a house sans electronics for the Technophobe?

Or for a more difficult challenge, having a contest where you cannot use the same item--or pattern--more than once.

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 03:07:02 AM »
Or for a more difficult challenge, having a contest where you cannot use the same item--or pattern--more than once.

That sound really hard. But fun.

What I would love is another contest like the renovation of the Goth mansion. It could be from any world (even a store one if the lot was downloadable from the contest thread) then you have to redo everything to your taste and your EPs, but no touching of the exterior walls.

Offline Odinsdottir

• Spline Reticulator
  • Occult
  • Artistic, Natural Cook, Cat Person, Insane, Flirty
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 08:13:40 AM »
RaiaDraconis, I like both of those ideas a lot!
x, EAOdinsdottir.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline ladybug53

• Watcher
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2013, 08:52:41 AM »
saltspastillen I like your idea a lot . I really did enjoy the renovation of the Goth Manor a lot . I really hope we get an other contest similar to that one again .  :)
Memories have no expiration date .
ladybug53's Studio

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2013, 01:28:06 PM »
saltspastillen I like your idea a lot . I really did enjoy the renovation of the Goth Manor a lot . I really hope we get an other contest similar to that one again .  :)

I second this. I'd love to see how people would redo, say, Villa Alto (yuk those pink walls!), maybe have a limitation where the house cannot exceed its original value after renovation.

Offline Lilygirl

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Let's spread kindness, grace, and joy.
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2013, 04:40:36 PM »
A renovation is on the list awaiting it's moment! Sorry to disappoint but it's not the Altos (I had it done up before reading this thread).

I'm glad there's so much interest in the different "types" of building contests: commercial, starters, luxury, etc., especially the renovations as they are my favourite (how many of us leave an EA house completely untouched while our Sims are living there?) We try our best to recognize and highlight the different skills and preferences of our forum builders, and try out the new building tools that come with the EPs. Because we all know we get a teeny bit obsessive when a new EP comes out. ;)
You've played too much TS3 when ... your 13 month old's babble sounds like Simlish!

Please read the Forum Rules

☀ Sunburst Immortal Dynasty ☀
The McIrish Bunch RTJ
My Swap Shop Creations

Offline PrincessMimi

• Townie
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2013, 07:12:05 PM »
I really like the idea of the tiny lot and big house. It would be awesome to have to build medieval-esque castles with optional medieval style interior. Another cool thing might be to make the "dream house" of a specific SV townie. IE Claire Ursine's home would include a pond, space for her growing family, ect.

Offline Neashaleigh

• Immortal
  • Divergent
    • The Sims - Houses
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2013, 05:32:20 AM »
I really like the idea of the tiny lot and big house. It would be awesome to have to build medieval-esque castles with optional medieval style interior. Another cool thing might be to make the "dream house" of a specific SV townie. IE Claire Ursine's home would include a pond, space for her growing family, ect.

Only problem with building a castle is that all the cool castle style stuff is from the store... and contests only allow free store items :(

Otherwise I'd LOVE that idea!
*´¨)
 ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.• Neasha Leigh

The Sims 3 - Houses
My Sims 3 Studio
My Sims 4 Studio

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2013, 08:33:38 AM »
I've seen a lot of people post that they aren't good at building but love to decorate so maybe a decorating contest. Maybe even pick a house from the Building Shells - To be Furnished thread for it to make it more personal to this site.
I know you would have to get permission from the original builder to use there house but I don't think that would be a problem. Most would probably love to see what others would do with them.
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

Offline ladybug53

• Watcher
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2013, 11:46:25 AM »
Ohh.....grimsoul....I really love your idea . That would be an awesome contest to do . I think it would probably be the most difficult to vote for though . Sometimes 3 votes are not enough . We have very talented builders on this forum .
ladybug53's Studio

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2013, 11:52:04 AM »
@grimsoul- I'd love that! I think the best part would be seeing all the great variety people came up with, with the same starting field.

Offline Swirl-Girl

• Squirt
  • Watcher
  • Sends more than 20 PMs Per Hour
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2013, 07:58:51 PM »
Feedback- Loved the larger than life contest. So cool.
Idea- I tend to go over budgets. I mean like 20,000 dollars gone and I'm like "How do I bring down the price and not the quality!" And being the  perfectionist I am, I hate having to bring down quality, even just a little bit, to fit the budget. Because suddenly, it isn't perfect anymore, and drama, drama, drama. Sorry for rambling. So, how about NO budget! Mwahahahaha!
Idea- Evil Lair.
Idea- Humor House
Idea- HAUNTED House
Idea- Most aesthetically lacking, and most productivity! (I know, I know, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder)
Chew on that. (pretty please!)

Squirt's Super Submissions
I love Constructive Criticism!
"Krabs are so cheap, they can't even pay attention!"

Offline PrincessMimi

• Townie
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2013, 08:27:16 PM »
Idea- I tend to go over budgets. I mean like 20,000 dollars gone and I'm like "How do I bring down the price and not the quality!" And being the  perfectionist I am, I hate having to bring down quality, even just a little bit, to fit the budget. Because suddenly, it isn't perfect anymore, and drama, drama, drama. Sorry for rambling. So, how about NO budget! Mwahahahaha!

Agreed. 100,000,000x agreed.

Is a humor house the same thing as a fun house? Like in an amusement park?

Offline ladybug53

• Watcher
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2013, 08:25:48 AM »
Having a budget is part of our challenge . It does help bring out our creativity . I think that having no budget would be quite boring, for me anyway . This is only my personal opinion of course .  :)
ladybug53's Studio

Chuckles_82

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2013, 08:49:22 AM »
How about a snob's budget? You have to spend at least x amount, eg: §500,000. You really have to work to spend that kind of money!

Offline Snufflesxx

• Sherlockian
  • Watcher
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2013, 01:21:21 PM »
I like that, Chuckles. So a minimum budget rather than a maximum? Yes, that'd be great and probably just as difficult!
** My Stories **

Offline ladybug53

• Watcher
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2013, 01:45:45 PM »
I agree with the " snob's budget " it might be as much of a challenge to accomplish .  :)
ladybug53's Studio

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2013, 02:45:21 PM »
I agree with the " snob's budget " it might be as much of a challenge to accomplish .  :)

Especially if the lot was rather small. Fun way to push yourself. Great idea Chuckles!

Offline PrincessMimi

• Townie
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2013, 07:09:28 PM »
I wonder how much money one can realistically spend (ie. no move objects on to place 27 fountains on top of one another, and it has to solve the basic needs) on a 10x10 lot for some simmies. Hmm.... challenge idea? Maybe the OPPOSITE of extremely minimalist starter? Extremely EXUBERANT starter.  :P Is that an oxymoron?

Offline Neashaleigh

• Immortal
  • Divergent
    • The Sims - Houses
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2013, 04:09:24 AM »
I wonder how much money one can realistically spend (ie. no move objects on to place 27 fountains on top of one another, and it has to solve the basic needs) on a 10x10 lot for some simmies. Hmm.... challenge idea? Maybe the OPPOSITE of extremely minimalist starter? Extremely EXUBERANT starter.  :P Is that an oxymoron?

I've done this. It's way fun and challenging to create a mansion for 8 Sims on a 10x10 lot :D If you're interested in having a peek, check out Charlotte Mansion in the Houses and Lots forum ;)

But having something like this as a competition would be awesome! A snob's build on a tiny lot that can house a large family. What a fun idea!
*´¨)
 ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.• Neasha Leigh

The Sims 3 - Houses
My Sims 3 Studio
My Sims 4 Studio

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2013, 04:17:42 AM »
I've done this. It's way fun and challenging to create a mansion for 8 Sims on a 10x10 lot :D If you're interested in having a peek, check out Charlotte Mansion in the Houses and Lots forum ;)

But having something like this as a competition would be awesome! A snob's build on a tiny lot that can house a large family. What a fun idea!

Maybe it can even be themed - like a snobby celebrity build for Bridgeport (since there is so little room for lots there it makes sense you'd have to cram a large/expensive house on a small lot).

Not that you'd need Bridgeport to enter - but...I think you get my point.

Offline Neashaleigh

• Immortal
  • Divergent
    • The Sims - Houses
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2013, 04:25:07 AM »
Maybe it can even be themed - like a snobby celebrity build for Bridgeport (since there is so little room for lots there it makes sense you'd have to cram a large/expensive house on a small lot).

Not that you'd need Bridgeport to enter - but...I think you get my point.

Ooh... even better! You could have it themed to suit a particular Sim/Celebrity level/Occult/skill... or all 4!
*´¨)
 ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.• Neasha Leigh

The Sims 3 - Houses
My Sims 3 Studio
My Sims 4 Studio

Offline Swirl-Girl

• Squirt
  • Watcher
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2013, 06:46:46 PM »
By humor house, I didn't mean fun house but that sounds cool. I meant a funny house, that people could live in. Like an inside out house!

Offline samoht04

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2013, 03:16:54 AM »
The small lot contests are always popular and seem to be in high demand, so you can all expect more of those in the future! A minimum budget contest also sounds interesting, with a few twists added in here and there. ;)

By humor house, I didn't mean fun house but that sounds cool. I meant a funny house, that people could live in. Like an inside out house!

Do you mean something similar to the Abstract Exterior contest? The winner was Ausette with her Llama House which still is on my list as most awesome build designs ever. :P Those sorts of Contests are fun so I can guarantee another one for quirky styles!

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2013, 06:41:57 AM »
The current Victorian House build challenge has me thinking of a building type that I think would be interesting, a type of house that's close to my heart and where I live, close to where I live. That type of house is the 'Queenslander'.

Offline Gogowars329

• Watcher
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2013, 05:41:51 PM »
How about a contest where we have to build our house in real life in the Sims.
Gogowars Inc - The place to find all of my wonderful Sims 3 creations

Offline PrincessMimi

• Townie
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2013, 07:11:48 PM »

That's an interesting idea, but would be hard to make a budget for since forum members have different size houses, and some live in apartments.

Offline Vinyl

• I hear plumbobs are worth a fortune on the black market
  • Occult
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2013, 01:20:04 PM »
With the recent luxury-on-a-budget builds I find myself craving moodlet granting items.  So how about a moodlet-oriented home?  There's a lot of items that give moodlets (or can be used by sims to create things that give moodlets - like nectar machines or special produce). 

It could also be tailored to a provided sim and/or traits, or the entries could describe the sim who would most enjoy living there.  For instance, a hydrophobe wouldn't love an amazing shower but the eco-friendly sim would, and a technophobe wouldn't love a high-end media room but the couch potato certainly would!

Offline Wiry

• Watcher
  • Resident Genie Expert, Evil Simlord.
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2013, 01:59:37 PM »
How about a no expenses spared, I'm-Better-Than-You, Mwahahaha! Evil Lair? Rooms for minions, a special sanctum, rooms for evil doings, the works. Think something that William would live in.

Am I the only one here who thinks that that is an awesome idea?
William's Wealth and Power Legacy

Fausta Legacy
*Twitch* GENIES!  *Twitch*
"For if Knowledge is Power, then a god am I!"- The Riddler

Offline Snufflesxx

• Sherlockian
  • Watcher
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2013, 02:30:52 PM »
That is an amazing idea, Wiry! I think I might do that, even if it doesn't become a contest!
** My Stories **

Offline Whitewings

• Llama Wrangler
Less Can Be More
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2013, 05:04:20 PM »
I'd like to propose a new building challenge: Small Can Be Beautiful. The challenge is to create a house and yard with the "beautifully decorated" moodlet in every room, on a single Sim's starting budget. What makes this challenging? After you submit the house, it's going to be voted on by other people, who might not favour the mishmash you're likely to get if you just choose a collection of stuff with high environment ratings.

Chuckles_82

« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2013, 08:20:30 PM »
That's easy to do though - if you hide enough objects from buydebug using MOO. Some of the objects in there have +6 environment, and cost §0. Or stacking Dragon Vases.

Offline Whitewings

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2013, 08:40:30 PM »
True, and I hadn't thought of it, but such blatant cheating is not likely to go over well with the other players voting on the result.

Chuckles_82

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2013, 08:51:34 PM »
I don't think it's cheating - it's strategy in normal builds.

Offline samoht04

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2013, 06:57:21 AM »
If there are objects there then you can use them in the Contests. However it does go against the spirit of the challenge should we use it. ;) Not actually sure what Environment Rating (How many +s) result in the moodlet, I'd assume 40 cause that's the bonus of the moodlet?

Seems like a fairly high demand for moodlet based contests, I'm sure something will pop-up in the future! Also, the Evil Lair thing sounds interesting, I have a plan formulating as I type.

I don't think the recreating your own houses idea will happen, it's quite personal.

Offline Neashaleigh

• Immortal
  • Divergent
    • The Sims - Houses
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2013, 05:36:40 AM »
I don't think the recreating your own houses idea will happen, it's quite personal.

Not only personal, but in my case, impossible - unless EA bring in multi-level stair cases that turn back on themselves :/
*´¨)
 ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.• Neasha Leigh

The Sims 3 - Houses
My Sims 3 Studio
My Sims 4 Studio

Offline ladybug53

• Watcher
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2013, 07:30:48 AM »

If you find that building our own house is too personal , we could maybe build our Dream House on a Snob Budget with certain specs of course .  :)
ladybug53's Studio

Offline PrincessMimi

• Townie
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2013, 09:31:44 AM »
If you find that building our own house is too personal , we could maybe build our Dream House on a Snob Budget with certain specs of course .  :)

That makes a bit more sense. Although, in my case, my dream house might exceed the highest lot requirement...

Offline Caterina

• Occult
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2013, 10:23:33 AM »
Feedback:  I really like the idea of the Dynasty Designs contest.  I can't wait to see all of the entries.  I am hoping that someone will do a house for the Life States Dynasty.  I had put in a request way back when they did the Life States Race challenge.

Offline Jaaaaks

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2013, 02:48:50 AM »
What would be super neat would be something based off a common theme, whether it be a TV show, book, or video game.

For those unfamiliar with the game, maybe the post could include some pictures or a video showing the theme/idea of the game/tv show/book.

For example, if we were to make houses based off the video game Legend of Zelda, Skyward Sword, we would include some pictures of houses, concept art, and maybe a video of the inside of a house already existing for inspiration. (including colour schemes and others for more 'abstract' games.)

Chuckles_82

« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2013, 07:56:10 PM »
Ooh, have we had a tomb building one suggested yet? That would be awesome!

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2013, 07:56:44 PM »
There was a group project last year where a tomb had to be built under Christopher Steel's house.
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline samoht04

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2013, 05:14:35 AM »
I'm curious as to what sort of style of Contest people prefer? Do you prefer the more traditional, family home style Contests or the wackier, unusual Contests like the Steampunk one? Personally I thought those Steampunk entries were simply stunning with the creativity in that thread! So which style do you all prefer?

Offline Neashaleigh

• Immortal
  • Divergent
    • The Sims - Houses
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2013, 06:59:04 AM »
I'm curious as to what sort of style of Contest people prefer? Do you prefer the more traditional, family home style Contests or the wackier, unusual Contests like the Steampunk one? Personally I thought those Steampunk entries were simply stunning with the creativity in that thread! So which style do you all prefer?

I prefer the wacky and unusual ones personally. I think they bring out the creativity in all of us ;)
*´¨)
 ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.• Neasha Leigh

The Sims 3 - Houses
My Sims 3 Studio
My Sims 4 Studio

Offline ladybug53

• Watcher
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2013, 07:42:49 AM »
Same here . I enjoy a good challenge . I would also enjoy a complete renovation again as we`ve done in the past . That was a fun contest .  :)
ladybug53's Studio

Offline Decima

• Townie
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2013, 05:48:20 AM »
Yeah I prefer the wacky more creative ones too. And as Ladybug says, I'd LOVE to do a renovation like the Goth Manor one last year. That was my first ever entry into a contest!  :D

Offline bubbles

• Dynasty Novice
  • Watcher
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2013, 02:28:52 PM »
We building lots that are not contest entries or requests, I tend to build more traditional homes. However, I like the idea of the wackier ones, even though I have yet to try one.

I enjoyed the Single Moms Craftsman house and would like to see more like that in the future. As a suggestion, you could have a contest, like the Victorian one, where you have to design a house for a particular time period or location. For example, you could have a Tudor-style contest or an Amazon Treehouse contest (Using lots of columns and the deleting them).
Bubbles's Workshop
Friends are like potatoes; if you eat them, they die. My friends friend.

Offline Swirl-Girl

• Squirt
  • Watcher
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2013, 07:03:08 AM »
I think we should do some contests that require you to use only base game, or choose one ep to use. I always try to limit my ep's, but then it doesn't turn out all that it's cracked up to be in my head, but if I add the objects or etc. from another ep, I feel bad for excluding people with one object.

Offline Snufflesxx

• Sherlockian
  • Watcher
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2013, 05:29:12 AM »
Some more smaller builds would be great. It's not that I can't handle a larger build, it's my computer that has the issues. It crushed my vision for the castle competition  :(
So, some more starter home contests would be great.
** My Stories **

Offline Wiry

• Watcher
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2013, 02:08:40 PM »
How about a contest where the goal is to reproduce a landmark or famous building? Buildings like The Himeji Castle, the Winter Palace, or even the White House!  ;D

Fausta Legacy

Offline Snufflesxx

• Sherlockian
  • Watcher
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2013, 02:23:20 PM »
How about a contest where the goal is to reproduce a landmark or famous building? Buildings like The Himeji Castle, the Winter Palace, or even the White House!  ;D

Haha, I can see myself pulling my hair out over that  ;D
Maybe it would be fun if fictional buildings were included, like Hogwarts or the Disney Castle (!!)

Another thing I was going to add is that it would great to see another team building challenge, like the one where you had to add a secret basement to Christopher Steel's house.
** My Stories **

Offline Wiry

• Watcher
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2013, 02:26:19 PM »
Haha, I can see myself pulling my hair out over that  ;D
Maybe it would be fun if fictional buildings were included, like Hogwarts or the Disney Castle (!!)

Another thing I was going to add is that it would great to see another team building challenge, like the one where you had to add a secret basement to Christopher Steel's house.
Well to make it actually able to be judged, only one building would be chosen to reproduce, mien were just suggestions  ;D

Fausta Legacy

Offline Snufflesxx

• Sherlockian
  • Watcher
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2013, 05:31:00 AM »
Well to make it actually able to be judged, only one building would be chosen to reproduce, mien were just suggestions  ;D

Of course... So we're mine *whistles*
** My Stories **

Offline Jaaaaks

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2013, 01:51:36 AM »
I really love challenges that invoke our creativity. There are some really neat ideas people put out.

Another really awesome idea would be something like a colour scheme challenge?

For example, you provide 3 different colour schemes, we get to pick one of them and build a house based off those colours and can ONLY use those colours.

So for example...

theme 1: pink, black, gold.
theme 2: blue, brown, white.

Something like that.

Would make a house very interesting. That would include interior decor (so if there is no green in the colour scheme, no green foliage).

Building off that idea, what if we had a classic building contest with a twist; we can't use the design tool? It could be a 'throwback' to old games, where you could only use the presets. That would also provide a unique challenge if combined with the colour scheme idea.

Offline Caterina

• Occult
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2013, 11:23:14 AM »
Idea:  Create a department store. 

There could be a requirement to have 5 or so different departments.  There could be a department for appliances, electronics, flooring, plumbing, etc.  The choice of departments could be left up to the builder or assigned.  It would be fun to see a department for each type of item represented in the contest.  It would be like a catalog.  I am not that familiar with alot of the patterns, flooring, wall coverings, etc.  So to be able to see them all in one place, or several, would be great.  Potentially, each of the categories/sub-categories on the Build/Buy menu could be a different department.  You could even have the choice of departments be on a first-come-first-serve basis.  Also, you could see how many people want to participate and divide the categories by people to see how many departments each person gets.  That way each category would be represented.

What do you all think?

Offline Swirl-Girl

• Squirt
  • Watcher
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2013, 08:25:08 AM »
I really like that idea, Jaaks. If you look at my sims, you'll see that I do the color scheming a lot already.

Offline Gogowars329

• Watcher
« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2013, 03:52:08 AM »
Like how we had two sets of contests last year, I think it would be cool if we had one normal set of contests and another set of contests that go for about a month each but with team building. So each contest you'd be put into a team of two or three and had to build whatever the contest required.
Gogowars Inc - The place to find all of my wonderful Sims 3 creations

Offline rockstarbabe569

• Nooboo
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2013, 09:03:51 AM »
I don't know if this has been already, but how about a fixer-upper challenge? Someone can upload a really crappy jacked up house and we have to renovate it and make it look nice. With only $20,000. And you can only use the stuff that came with the game and EPs and SPs including the patterns.  And to make it more fun, maybe we could have a color theme or other design them to tie everything together.

Offline Neashaleigh

• Immortal
  • Divergent
    • The Sims - Houses
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2013, 02:07:13 PM »
I don't know if this has been already, but how about a fixer-upper challenge? Someone can upload a really crappy jacked up house and we have to renovate it and make it look nice. With only $20,000. And you can only use the stuff that came with the game and EPs and SPs including the patterns.  And to make it more fun, maybe we could have a color theme or other design them to tie everything together.

I've done this type of challenge on my FB page. It's a lot of fun :D
*´¨)
 ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.• Neasha Leigh

The Sims 3 - Houses
My Sims 3 Studio
My Sims 4 Studio

Offline Lilygirl

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Let's spread kindness, grace, and joy.
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2013, 04:31:52 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions/ideas, everyone!

Even though we (the building contest team) haven't posted here very often of late, we are reading and making notes. We've got some great contests lined up for the next while and we often go back and make changes to the tasks/specs if we read a really good idea here that we can incorporate into a building contest we've already written up.
You've played too much TS3 when ... your 13 month old's babble sounds like Simlish!

Please read the Forum Rules

☀ Sunburst Immortal Dynasty ☀
The McIrish Bunch RTJ
My Swap Shop Creations

Offline HWT53

• Nooboo
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2013, 05:28:33 PM »
I would like to see if someone could make an old round barn silo plus a corn been.  There used to be these items in Sims2.  I just do not remember who made them.

Offline samoht04

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2013, 04:00:47 PM »
Apologies that Contest 19 has not been posted, we've all been very busy and not had the freetime available to be around much. Would you prefer to start the Contest this weekend or as soon as possible? I'm just wondering if people find the start date being a Sunday more beneficial as then the last day for entry is a Saturday?

Offline Snufflesxx

• Sherlockian
  • Watcher
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2013, 04:18:59 PM »
It would probably be easier to post it at the weekend, because then people don't get confused about the end date.
** My Stories **

Offline ladybug53

• Watcher
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2013, 04:45:07 PM »
Sunday to Saturday sounds good to me . We do understand that the three of you have very busy personal lives . Apology excepted !  :) Real life is important and playing with our grown up toys can wait . No need to stress over this , in my opinion .  ;)
ladybug53's Studio

Offline sunshine_2406

• Occult
  • Call me Alice :)
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2013, 06:21:11 AM »
I still want to participate but I've been too busy to build lately :( as soon as my schedule dies down I'll be building again and hopefully participating
From the moment I fell down that rabbit hole I've been told what I must do and who I must be. I've been shrunk, stretched, scratched and stuffed into a teapot. I've been accused of being Alice, and of not being Alice, but this is my dream. I'll decide where it goes from here.

Offline SassySimmer

• Tea Addict
  • Immortal
« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2013, 06:40:57 AM »
I have been looking at the old contest threads from when the building contest started.  Since there has been so many expansions and stuff packs released since they started (as well as new members joining the forum) perhaps revisiting some of the old contest topics (i.e. beach house)?
♫♪If life seems jolly rotten, there's something you've forgotten and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.  When you're feeling in the dumps, don't be silly chumps, just purse your lips and whistle that's the thing, and always look on the bright side of life......♪♫

anything