Author Topic: Building Contests: Feedback, Suggestions and Ideas  (Read 22564 times)

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
Re: Building Contests: Feedback, Suggestions and Ideas
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 10:00:55 PM »
Here's one that popped into my head after reading what Odinsdottir wrote. What about a contest where you have to cater your build to a specific trait or set of traits? Like a house with no artwork at all for a sim who Can't Stand Art , or a house sans electronics for the Technophobe?

Or for a more difficult challenge, having a contest where you cannot use the same item--or pattern--more than once.

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 03:07:02 AM »
Or for a more difficult challenge, having a contest where you cannot use the same item--or pattern--more than once.

That sound really hard. But fun.

What I would love is another contest like the renovation of the Goth mansion. It could be from any world (even a store one if the lot was downloadable from the contest thread) then you have to redo everything to your taste and your EPs, but no touching of the exterior walls.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Odinsdottir

• Spline Reticulator
  • Occult
  • Artistic, Natural Cook, Cat Person, Insane, Flirty
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 08:13:40 AM »
RaiaDraconis, I like both of those ideas a lot!
x, EAOdinsdottir.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline ladybug53

• Watcher
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2013, 08:52:41 AM »
saltspastillen I like your idea a lot . I really did enjoy the renovation of the Goth Manor a lot . I really hope we get an other contest similar to that one again .  :)
Memories have no expiration date .
ladybug53's Studio

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2013, 01:28:06 PM »
saltspastillen I like your idea a lot . I really did enjoy the renovation of the Goth Manor a lot . I really hope we get an other contest similar to that one again .  :)

I second this. I'd love to see how people would redo, say, Villa Alto (yuk those pink walls!), maybe have a limitation where the house cannot exceed its original value after renovation.

Offline Lilygirl

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Let's spread kindness, grace, and joy.
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2013, 04:40:36 PM »
A renovation is on the list awaiting it's moment! Sorry to disappoint but it's not the Altos (I had it done up before reading this thread).

I'm glad there's so much interest in the different "types" of building contests: commercial, starters, luxury, etc., especially the renovations as they are my favourite (how many of us leave an EA house completely untouched while our Sims are living there?) We try our best to recognize and highlight the different skills and preferences of our forum builders, and try out the new building tools that come with the EPs. Because we all know we get a teeny bit obsessive when a new EP comes out. ;)
You've played too much TS3 when ... your 13 month old's babble sounds like Simlish!

Please read the Forum Rules

☀ Sunburst Immortal Dynasty ☀
The McIrish Bunch RTJ
My Swap Shop Creations

Offline PrincessMimi

• Townie
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2013, 07:12:05 PM »
I really like the idea of the tiny lot and big house. It would be awesome to have to build medieval-esque castles with optional medieval style interior. Another cool thing might be to make the "dream house" of a specific SV townie. IE Claire Ursine's home would include a pond, space for her growing family, ect.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Neashaleigh

• Immortal
  • Divergent
    • The Sims - Houses
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2013, 05:32:20 AM »
I really like the idea of the tiny lot and big house. It would be awesome to have to build medieval-esque castles with optional medieval style interior. Another cool thing might be to make the "dream house" of a specific SV townie. IE Claire Ursine's home would include a pond, space for her growing family, ect.

Only problem with building a castle is that all the cool castle style stuff is from the store... and contests only allow free store items :(

Otherwise I'd LOVE that idea!
*´¨)
 ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.• Neasha Leigh

The Sims 3 - Houses
My Sims 3 Studio
My Sims 4 Studio

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2013, 08:33:38 AM »
I've seen a lot of people post that they aren't good at building but love to decorate so maybe a decorating contest. Maybe even pick a house from the Building Shells - To be Furnished thread for it to make it more personal to this site.
I know you would have to get permission from the original builder to use there house but I don't think that would be a problem. Most would probably love to see what others would do with them.
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

Offline ladybug53

• Watcher
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2013, 11:46:25 AM »
Ohh.....grimsoul....I really love your idea . That would be an awesome contest to do . I think it would probably be the most difficult to vote for though . Sometimes 3 votes are not enough . We have very talented builders on this forum .
ladybug53's Studio

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2013, 11:52:04 AM »
@grimsoul- I'd love that! I think the best part would be seeing all the great variety people came up with, with the same starting field.

Offline Swirl-Girl

• Squirt
  • Watcher
  • Sends more than 20 PMs Per Hour
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2013, 07:58:51 PM »
Feedback- Loved the larger than life contest. So cool.
Idea- I tend to go over budgets. I mean like 20,000 dollars gone and I'm like "How do I bring down the price and not the quality!" And being the  perfectionist I am, I hate having to bring down quality, even just a little bit, to fit the budget. Because suddenly, it isn't perfect anymore, and drama, drama, drama. Sorry for rambling. So, how about NO budget! Mwahahahaha!
Idea- Evil Lair.
Idea- Humor House
Idea- HAUNTED House
Idea- Most aesthetically lacking, and most productivity! (I know, I know, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder)
Chew on that. (pretty please!)

Squirt's Super Submissions
I love Constructive Criticism!
"Krabs are so cheap, they can't even pay attention!"

Offline PrincessMimi

• Townie
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2013, 08:27:16 PM »
Idea- I tend to go over budgets. I mean like 20,000 dollars gone and I'm like "How do I bring down the price and not the quality!" And being the  perfectionist I am, I hate having to bring down quality, even just a little bit, to fit the budget. Because suddenly, it isn't perfect anymore, and drama, drama, drama. Sorry for rambling. So, how about NO budget! Mwahahahaha!

Agreed. 100,000,000x agreed.

Is a humor house the same thing as a fun house? Like in an amusement park?

Offline ladybug53

• Watcher
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2013, 08:25:48 AM »
Having a budget is part of our challenge . It does help bring out our creativity . I think that having no budget would be quite boring, for me anyway . This is only my personal opinion of course .  :)
ladybug53's Studio

Chuckles_82

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2013, 08:49:22 AM »
How about a snob's budget? You have to spend at least x amount, eg: §500,000. You really have to work to spend that kind of money!

anything