Author Topic: Sims 3 - The Official Building/Remodeling Showboat Thread  (Read 1066168 times)

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Sims 3 - The Official Building/Remodeling Showboat Thread
« on: July 08, 2010, 08:49:25 PM »
The Official Building/Remodeling Showboat Thread

Here’s your chance to flex your designing and remodeling muscles — to show the world your true building prowess (and prove that the extra room you added to Pre-Fabulous deserves some special recognition!). Feel free to post your screenshots of your best creations. This is not a challenge or a contest — it’s your chance to casually show off your mad building skillz. A few simple rules:

1) All Forum Rules obviously apply.
2) Be focused in your posts and keep screenshots related to building and remodeling only.
3) Please limit screenshots to no more than 10 per post.
4) Linking to your house on the Exchange is fine as long as you have no mods or third party Custom Content.
5) Please be mindful of giving constructive criticism ONLY when the poster specifically asks for it.  Sometimes we just want to share without being told how to make it better. 

Photo courtesy of TommyT Real-a-T

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Official Building/Remodeling Showboat Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 02:38:37 AM »
Nice, I look forward to seeing other people's houses. One question, if we have uploaded the house to the exchange can we add a link there.
Norma
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 03:18:15 AM »
If you mean can you put a link to your house on the Exchange, as long as there's no mods or third party custom content, I don't have a problem with it.  But it's critical that it be a "clean" house with nothing third party at all.  I can't stress that enough.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Twinmum

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 05:55:14 AM »
Guess I'll jump in here. This is a house I built for an artist of mine. Had one problem though, by the time he had established himself and could afford it, someone else had moved in  :(
I built it on 100 Redwood Parkway in Sunset Valley to take advantage of that wonderful view.

Front

the back at night

lower floor plan

upper level

I love building houses, but now and then, I do one I really like. This was one of them, so I tend to put a copy in most of my casual games.

Norma
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 06:37:34 AM »
Very lovely house, Norma.  I love the modern look.  Very nice.  :)

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 07:02:46 AM »
If you mean can you put a link to your house on the Exchange, as long as there's no mods or third party custom content, I don't have a problem with it.  But it's critical that it be a "clean" house with nothing third party at all.  I can't stress that enough.

I'll add that the the rules.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 12:27:14 PM »
Question:  I want to build a copy of Cockey's Tavern.  It is the original and first "inn" built on the Columbia Pike in what is now Westminster, Maryland.  The current building is actually only 2/3 of the original.  I lived in that lovely, 200 year old, ghost haunted house.  (It is a registered haunted house and yes, we actually did see the ghosts).  My problem is the ceilings on the first and second floor are 11 feet high.  How would I build walls tall enough to be able to accommodate the stairs and show the height of the rooms?  The third floor had normal, 8 foot tall ceilings and if I remember correctly, 5 bedrooms and a truly huge bathroom.  Sadly, the building was bought out by lawyers, totally gutted and remodeled into less than lovely.  IMHO it should have been maintained as a historical landmark building. 
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

bshag

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 01:21:24 PM »
What a shame Joria...stupid lawyers. ::)

I'm definitely a novice builder, especially after looking at the current pictures which are beautiful.  But the only way I would think you could get that very tall ceiling look would be to put walls on top of walls, but that's just my humble opinion.  Someone else might have a different and better solution.  I've built lofts before and just love the effect of having tall ceilings. :)

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 01:39:39 PM »
There is a way to make half walls using constrain floor elevation cheat. But it may not work on a foundation but I don't know how...  ???
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline SimMe

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 06:12:27 PM »
You guys did a great job! I love to see what other people have done.

Offline Twinmum

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 06:17:10 PM »
yes, I think you would have to use the constrain floor cheat. It involves building another temp wall outside the real building at a different level. I used to use that cheat a lot, but I haven't really dabbled with it in TS3 yet.

Norma

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 10:38:16 PM »
This is the house in SV I usually start my challenges with, in fact, this is my BB1 starter home.

This is the house now, yes, I am still playing it. I moved it to Pinacle point, right on the end.

Basement where professional artist bedroom is.

Below that is Renowed Surgeons quarters, he is taking a nap, I see.

This is my mad scientists garden and money trees.  These sims are my second generation from BBI and the youngest one has a daughter that starts the third generation.

Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 10:52:59 PM »
I got that new Zen bathroom set and thought I would share a bathroom redo.  I really love that kind of stuff.  I flipflopped the colors and have arches on either side of the sinks.

Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 11:06:05 PM »
Question:  I want to build a copy of Cockey's Tavern.  It is the original and first "inn" built on the Columbia Pike in what is now Westminster, Maryland.  The current building is actually only 2/3 of the original.  I lived in that lovely, 200 year old, ghost haunted house.  (It is a registered haunted house and yes, we actually did see the ghosts).  My problem is the ceilings on the first and second floor are 11 feet high.  How would I build walls tall enough to be able to accommodate the stairs and show the height of the rooms?  The third floor had normal, 8 foot tall ceilings and if I remember correctly, 5 bedrooms and a truly huge bathroom.  Sadly, the building was bought out by lawyers, totally gutted and remodeled into less than lovely.  IMHO it should have been maintained as a historical landmark building. 

Questions like this would be better on one of the other building threads.  This one is specifically for showing off houses, not really for discussion about how to construct them.  :)

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline TommyT

• Occult
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 12:48:28 AM »
Great stuff everyone!  Here's a Plantation/Southern style home I'm currently working on.  Most of the objects you see are just placeholders but I hope to have it finished up soon.

View from front.

View from back, full wrap-around patio on lower and upper levels.

Upper level, nothing really here yet except for bedroom and bathroom placeholders.  Bottom right will be a laundry room.

Lower level.

Big southern kitchen :)

I'll update this thread when I finish the house!