Author Topic: Sims 3 - The Official Building/Remodeling Showboat Thread  (Read 1076265 times)

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
Re: The Official Building/Remodeling Showboat Thread
« Reply #495 on: December 23, 2010, 06:52:01 PM »
I'm particularly fond of the wood flooring arrangement in the master bedroom and the exterior shape of the building.  The copious carpets is an interesting motif that leaves the house with a distinct personality. 

Oh, sweet irony, deliver me from coincidence.

Please feel free to utilize any of my builds in any of your stories and so forth.

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
« Reply #496 on: December 23, 2010, 07:49:33 PM »
That's a really cool house! I especially like the open floor plan and use of windows, it comes together as a very modern-looking house. I'm terrible at building larger ones and I'd love to download it if you decide to put it on the exchange, great job!

On a side note, I'm working on something that I hope to upload after Christmas, and I'll post it on here when I do. It's a 20 x 30 apartment block with three self-sufficient, differently themed flats, as well as communal lobby, laundry and rooftop area. I need Ambitions content to fully finish it, so now I'm just filling in the details intil Christmas. Here's a preview:

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
« Reply #497 on: December 23, 2010, 08:16:54 PM »
I'm the same way!  Waiting impatiently for my chance to toy around in Late Night.  :D

Please feel free to utilize any of my builds in any of your stories and so forth.

BlazeSolo

« Reply #498 on: December 23, 2010, 10:27:11 PM »
@ Ausette Great apartment building! It looks like something you'd see in Miami overlooking south beach. I promise to put my house on the exchange if you will put this up when it's done. I can see a few families I'd like to put in there.
@ Danefaith Thanks for kind words. I've saw quite a few of your houses perusing this thread and I must say your are quite the architect. I wish I had WA so I could play with those traps that you stick in the basement. The back yard of the house before last was truly impressive and gave me quite a few ideas.

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
« Reply #499 on: December 23, 2010, 10:57:19 PM »
I'm flattered you'd find it inspirational.  :D

But yeah, I'm definitely an advocate of WA!  Nothing's quite as satisfying as building a vineyard and winery or a private museum into your homes.

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
« Reply #500 on: December 23, 2010, 11:09:43 PM »
@ Danefaith: Yeah, I'm looking forward to Late Night too, I had so much fun decorating the apartment block that I can't wait to do it for actual apartments. Personally one of my favourite things about WA is the Photography skill, which I've used a little in furnishing one of the apartments. Oh, and I like to build little underground safes to store stolen goods in. What?

@ BlazeSolo: Sure, it's a promise. I'm just waiting to add some clotheslines and it'll be right on the Exchange. Well, after the bug's fixed; right now none of the new uploads are showing on the website so I'm going to wait around until I can actually get some downloads. I'm glad you like it, I actually enjoyed making it which for me is pretty rare. It'll hold up to 5 sims (2 couples, 1 single). I can post screenshots of the interior if you like.  ;D

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
« Reply #501 on: December 26, 2010, 07:56:59 PM »
Yay!  Late Night!  A merry Christmas indeed.

I tried my hand at building a nice little neighborhood bar... So many high rises and pre-designed buildings, I was in definite need to flesh out the club choices, lol.  It's nothing special, I don't have much community lot building experience, but I should think its still got some flavor.

Call it Bell Tavern.  Just look for the ol' brass bell!

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=3546319

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
« Reply #502 on: December 27, 2010, 12:12:08 AM »
I quite like that danefaith, it looks like a fun place to be (in real life too). It's both open and cosy at the same time, and I really love the "Moe's Tavern" stained glass windows. I also got Late Night for Christmas so I'm going to have to give club-building a shot after I get a little more familiar with the new content, should be fun!

I have to warn you though; you probably won't get many downloads or recommendations right now. The Exchange is acting up. It's been showing the same lots for a week now, so no one can even see the new uploads, let alone download or recommend them. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
« Reply #503 on: December 27, 2010, 04:11:22 PM »
Huh, that so?  Well that's a shame... Hope they fix 'er up right soon.

Offline CharlotteDaBookworm

• Occult
  • Call me Charlotte, Charlie or Char
« Reply #504 on: December 29, 2010, 05:18:52 PM »
This is my newest house:

Front View

Room View

Rear View

So what'd you think?

Charlotte

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #505 on: December 30, 2010, 02:10:36 PM »
I like the house but I think the garden needs some work, would the roof look better if it was lower? As in not as huge.  :)

I spent my afternoon in CAW and I ended up with this landscape, what does everyone think? It is a very large area and I don't really know if it needs something doing before I start with roads and lots.

Oh and the sand on the coast is not done yet.  ;)
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline Beddy_Boop

• Townie
  • Concerto No. 2 (3rd Movement) - F. Seitz
« Reply #506 on: December 30, 2010, 06:37:28 PM »
I like it! It is good how you broke up the difference between flat and mountain with the hill that is toward the bottom of the picture!

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #507 on: December 31, 2010, 04:00:01 AM »
Carl is starting our own private exchange!  Have a look here for information about using it.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #508 on: December 31, 2010, 02:16:03 PM »
@Samoht:  Love it!  Can't really tell how big it will be without streets etc. but it really is lovely.

@Danefaith:  Drat!  I wanted to download your mansion but the exchange just sends me a no can do icon.  I think the exchange is borked or something.

@Sims3lover:  Is this your first house?  I think it is charming.  It does need a bit of landscaping help though.  Forinstance, where the flowers are in the back, try clumping them together a bit more.  Use the cheat, moveobjects on to do that.  That way the sunflowers will look like they are just part of a cottage flower garden.  It looks like your were using the roses to form a hedge, am I right?  That's fine, and you used different varieties so it was visually more interesting than a straight row of the same thing.  Just try putting the blue flowers and sunflowers together more , maybe in just one or two spots rather than all across.  One of the things I learned in my art classes was the fact that nature abhors a straight line.  Even the straightest trees have a bit of a curve to them somewhere.  So to make a landscape look more natural and soothing to the eye, use some curves if you can.  I love the use of the windows.  It looks like that would be a bright, sunny, home to live in.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #509 on: December 31, 2010, 03:08:06 PM »
I wasn't going to share this until I could get it uploaded to OUR exchange,  :D, but since I don't know how to do that I can at least show you what I've been fooling around with.  This is the first of several 10x10 size lot buildings I want to make.  It's nowhere near perfect and there are a few things I won't do again, (level after level of pillars is one), but it was fun to make and I'm at least happy with the interior.  The building goes up 4 stories and down 4 levels with the added ground level making it a total of 9 usable levels.   I placed it in Sunset Valley and used the area right behind the plaza to place 3 lots side by side.  (So far only built on one)  There are several areas in pretty much every town where you can put a tiny lot in so I wanted to see if I could make it something a person would actually want to live in.  This particular house has been play tested so I know it all works.

View of entire building.  (Hard shot to get because of tall building in front of it)

Ground level.  I wanted a garden and a nice entry.  All access is via elevator.  I'm not totally happy with the landscaping.  It's a bit too crowded and too linear for my taste.

The first floor up is the kitchen/dining area.  I placed a desk and computer here as well as a chess table so folks have something to do while waiting for dinner.  I rather like this room.

The next floor up is the bedroom floor.  The rooms are fairly small, but adequate.  I put the laundry in the bathroom here, as I often do, because a pet peeve of mine is having to schlep dirty laundry from the bedroom/bathroom areas all across the house to where the laundry is.  Makes no sense!  As you can see, there is a nursery which could be anything you wanted it to be.  Change it to a den, guest room or whatever.  I just wanted my couple to be able to have at least one child, possibly two.

Well, if you have a child, you need somewhere for them to play and exercise, right?  So the third level became the area for painting or watching your nooboo have fun.  This was a bit of a squeeze and I might do things differently in the future.  Maybe not have it in an open area.  There is a powder room here to serve both the top floor and the play area.

With a five pic limit, I have to do this in two posts.  See ya in a few.

What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

anything