Author Topic: Buying a Desktop or Laptop for The Sims 3  (Read 244131 times)

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
Buying a Desktop or Laptop for The Sims 3
« on: February 25, 2013, 11:38:38 PM »
We've combined our "Buying Guide" for Sims into one post on the Sims 4 Technical Help Board.

Due to this, we've locked this thread and un-stickied it in favor of the more current post. Thank you to everyone who participated in this discussion and remember you can ask us your questions in the Technical Help or PM us.

Buying a Computer For The Sims 4 & The Sims 3
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=21609.msg387974#msg387974

Happy Simming! :)

Flynn and MrsFlynn
Check out Flynn's Fineries for houses, Sims and helpful articles.

Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Offline George

• Nooboo
Re: Buying a Desktop or Laptop for The Sims 3
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 04:27:40 PM »
Hiya, I love the sims 3 and I have alot of expansion packs but my Samsung RV510 just doesn't seem to be capable of running them on high settings or even medium settings, it just lags all the time, I have little CC installed could someone recommend something, can I put a new graphic card or ram in?

Or can anyone recommend a cheap laptop that will run Sims 3 and all expansion packs on all settings? thank you!

George

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 09:40:28 PM »
Hiya, I love the sims 3 and I have alot of expansion packs but my Samsung RV510 just doesn't seem to be capable of running them on high settings or even medium settings, it just lags all the time, I have little CC installed could someone recommend something, can I put a new graphic card or ram in?

Or can anyone recommend a cheap laptop that will run Sims 3 and all expansion packs on all settings? thank you!

George

Hi, George.

I looked up the laptop online and it looks like a pretty decent laptop. But, it's graphics card is not capable of playing high-demand games like The Sims 3. The Intel GMA chip is very similar to the current Intel HD Graphics card in that it's built in to the processor and takes the majority of its graphics memory from the 4 GB of memory in the laptop.

Unfortunately, laptops are not as upgradeable as desktop computers, so its a very rare laptop that will allow you to update the graphics card. Usually the only upgrades available are memory and hard drives. Given the laptop has the Intel GMA (which is an older Intel graphics chip), I'm guessing that the memory is maxed out at 4 GB.

For a new laptop, I can look around online, but I would need to know what kind of budget you're looking at. You can sometimes find good sales on computers around the holidays. In the U.S., back to school time (between August and September) is also a good time to look as well.

Hope this helps and happy Simming. :)

Flynn

Offline Kronos

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 03:04:20 PM »
I too was looking at laptops for the portability. But after taking the information I've been given by Flynn and others I compared laptops to desktops. Laptops are expensive when compared side by side to desktops. I wish you the best of luck in your search.
What experience and history teach is this-that people and governments never have learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it. -Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Offline mimas

• Nooboo
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 05:12:06 PM »
Well SIMS 3 is strange game.
It lags alot even on super PC...

You need alot of RAM.This is not problem thans to low prices so 16GB is no prolem.
Rest depens on you monitor. What resolution you will use?
Better resolution=better CPU and GPU because you will need more space and more power for larger textures ets.

Offline Rita-Marie

• Nooboo
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 11:01:00 AM »
I am absolutely terrible with computers, and I was wondering if you could look at this page from futureshop and tell me if this computer would be enough to smoothly run the sims with all expansions as well as some store content and pretty much all the worlds you can buy from the store as well.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/hewlett-packard-hp-pavilion-p7-1549-desktop-computer-amd-quad-core-a10-5700-1tb-10gb-ram-windows-8-p7-1549/10238329.aspx?path=4d431c988b8ad0716dc0ea7173a298e5en02

I did have one person tell me it is a great computer and could run sims on the highest graphic setting, but I would like to be 100% sure before I blow that kind of money and I am disappointed, thank you.

Offline Rita-Marie

• Nooboo
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 11:01:49 AM »
I am absolutely terrible with computers, and I was wondering if you could look at this page from futureshop and tell me if this computer would be enough to smoothly run the sims with all expansions as well as some store content and pretty much all the worlds you can buy from the store as well.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/hewlett-packard-hp-pavilion-p7-1549-desktop-computer-amd-quad-core-a10-5700-1tb-10gb-ram-windows-8-p7-1549/10238329.aspx?path=4d431c988b8ad0716dc0ea7173a298e5en02

I did have one person tell me it is a great computer and could run sims on the highest graphic setting, but I would like to be 100% sure before I blow that kind of money and I am disappointed, thank you.

Please email me, I will probably lose this page, and I have to go to work soon. Again thank you.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 10:44:43 PM »

I'm posting here and sending you a PM with this. The system is pretty decent. It should rund the game fairly well on max settings. A couple things to note.

The processor is mid-range. It will perform well with the game, but I would make sure there's not much running in the background. This extends to the graphics card, which is also mid-range. From what I was able to find with a quick search, the graphics card should perform about as well as the nVidia GTS 450 cards MrsFlynn and I just replaced. These played The Sims 3 pretty well at max settings, though I did end up turning down the number of detailed lots and lowered the screen resolution to 1366 x 768 from 1920 x 1080. The extra system memory will help as well, and Windows 8 generally performs faster than Windows 7 for most tasks.

Hope this helps, and happy Simming. :)

Flynn

Offline catvonpaxton

• Nooboo
The monsters in your closet...:)
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 05:47:56 PM »
Hi all,
I was lately very much wondering: what monsters are in your closet? Means, what monster-computers to you have that run s3 + all EPs + arround 10-15gb of cc WITHOUT any issues?
I have two monsters sitting here, but my notebook overheats since seasons and the graphics on my desktop are just not as brilliant ( i could upgrade but then its probably the best to get something new as the system is old).
Im a builder/decorater and CC will just get more, not less. I HATE to also only have parts of my CC in.

Can anybody tip me what i need to be safe 4 more years? Your system specs or if notebooks the name  would be great, maxbe also how much you payed. If i sell my 2 monsters i might be halfway to a new one.
Sorry fot that common question but i mafe the experience that, when you ask in a normal gaming forum, they just smirk at you as thr sims3 is a 'small' game. Mine will easily be 50GB  if i would compress and shrink CC. I also always have to run it on highet graphic settings....

Please help me people, my desktop has 6 fans, is there any notebook that can do THIS? At the moment i have the Acer g73jh here.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: The monsters in your closet...:)
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 06:36:36 PM »
Welcome to our Forum.

We have an existing topic that may help you. You can also ask your questions there. I'm going to merge your topic with this existing topic.

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline sosobaggins

• Townie
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 03:30:42 PM »
I'm  thinking of getting a 2nd hand pc for my daughter because shes been performing so well @ school. The one we are looking into is the Acer Aspire T180

SPEC DATA:
Acer Aspire T180
Type: Mainstream, Value
Processor Family: AMD Athlon 64
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Processor Name: AMD Athlon 64 3800+
RAM: 1 GB
Storage Capacity (as Tested): 160 GB
Graphics Card: nVidia GeForce 6100
Primary Optical Drive: Dual-Layer DVD+/-RW
Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic.

The OS on this one is actually Windows 7. Would you  suggest any upgrades or should I just buy a new pc with all the specifications. THe only thing is I've checked the cost for a new one and it runs towards $3000.00 of my currency which is about $1123.60 US.  Please advise.

Offline CreativeCrayola

• Katniss :)
  • Immortal
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 04:25:08 PM »
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-g6-2276sa-15-6-laptop-winter-blue-21321359-pdt.html

This is my laptop, could you maybe tell me what might be causing it to crash a little bit?

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 12:52:00 AM »
I'm  thinking of getting a 2nd hand pc for my daughter because shes been performing so well @ school. The one we are looking into is the Acer Aspire T180

SPEC DATA:
Acer Aspire T180
Type: Mainstream, Value
Processor Family: AMD Athlon 64
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Processor Name: AMD Athlon 64 3800+
RAM: 1 GB
Storage Capacity (as Tested): 160 GB
Graphics Card: nVidia GeForce 6100
Primary Optical Drive: Dual-Layer DVD+/-RW
Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic.

The OS on this one is actually Windows 7. Would you  suggest any upgrades or should I just buy a new pc with all the specifications. THe only thing is I've checked the cost for a new one and it runs towards $3000.00 of my currency which is about $1123.60 US.  Please advise.

In all honesty, I can't recommend the system. Looking at the review on PCMag.com, the computer is best suited for surfing the Internet, email and other light tasks. The computer is definitely not able to play The Sims 3.

Hope this helps, and happy Simming! :)

Flynn

Offline Flynn Arrowstarr

• Administrator
  • Immortal
  • Semi-conscious
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 01:02:43 AM »
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-g6-2276sa-15-6-laptop-winter-blue-21321359-pdt.html

This is my laptop, could you maybe tell me what might be causing it to crash a little bit?

I would check a couple of things. One, make sure you are using a cooling mat as there can be a lot of heat generated whilst playing games. Another is to make sure the game is fully patched. The overall speed and stability of the game has improved some since the most recent update. Also, check into updating the RAM to 8 GB. Otherwise, it should be capable of playing on low to medium settings without too many issues.

Flynn

Offline sosobaggins

• Townie
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 01:08:25 PM »
In all honesty, I can't recommend the system. Looking at the review on PCMag.com, the computer is best suited for surfing the Internet, email and other light tasks. The computer is definitely not able to play The Sims 3.

Flynn

Thanks so much Flynn. i actually looked up another PC. I asked for certain requirements for it and i will definetly be getting a Sims compatible PC.