Author Topic: Another Bachelor's Degree (Completed, April 28)  (Read 5077 times)

Offline ombradellarosa

• You can call me Rosa :)
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Follow Brooke on The Mole!
Re: Another Bachelor's Degree
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2013, 06:39:21 PM »
I like how you tied in the Murphy bed, Murphy's law, and Bella's bad day. I wonder where they will end up! I hope Bella is not abducted by aliens. I'm glad that Morty didn't die from being shut up in the bed.
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By intl_incident                                                      By samoht04

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2013, 07:16:35 PM »
Very glad that Morty survived the Murphy bed. :P

These two have to be one of my favorite townie couples of all time. You are portraying them in such a fun way, too. :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
  • aka Pippin, the Most Tenacious Simmer
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2013, 09:57:45 PM »
"Hey, there's that guy I kissed.  RUN AWAY!!!!"
Well played, Bella.  Very Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail.

Offline Swirl-Girl

• Squirt
  • Watcher
  • Sends more than 20 PMs Per Hour
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2013, 04:16:43 PM »
I want a Murphy bed. And who knows? Maybe it wasn't the Murphy.

Squirt's Super Submissions
I love Constructive Criticism!
"Krabs are so cheap, they can't even pay attention!"

Offline MarianT

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2013, 05:58:22 PM »
SNOWFLAKE DAY AND THE DAY AFTER

Snowflake Eve, Mortimer announced that he had a present for all of us – a new house with three bedrooms, two and a half bathrooms, and an attic upstairs that could be turned into another bedroom. We moved in immediately.

Early the next morning, a deer ran through the yard, which seemed like a good omen. We tried telling Robert that the deer was a reindeer named Rudolph, but he didn’t believe us.

We’d arranged for Mom and Dad and Mortimer’s parents to come over to exchange presents. Michael’s boss, Agnes Crumplebottom showed up, too, so we had quite the party.

River (and I and Mortimer) received a new easel. She’s doing great as an Art Appraiser.

Robert was given a new bicycle. (It’s amazing what they can fit in those small boxes.)

Sometime during the party, Morty plucked up his courage and asked Dad for permission to marry me.

I was so surprised that my head exploded. (No, not really. I took a bite of Mom’s firecracker shrimp. Remind me never to make firecracker shrimp or attempt to eat it again.)

We were all pretty sluggish after the morning’s feast, so I went off to the movie by myself. I told Mortimer that I needed something to review for my blog, but really I needed time to think. The movie was Starship: Incredulous, but that’s all I can tell you about it. Should I tell Mortimer that I’d kissed someone when I was at uni by myself? So far I hadn’t told him because it hadn’t been important, and he’d just get upset for no reason. But I didn’t feel right about getting married with a secret between us. What to do? What to do?

Morty was already in bed when I got home, which was something of a relief. I could wait and tell him tomorrow – or maybe the next day – or maybe never.

Unfortunately, the next morning Morty had a question for me. “Who’s Robert Richards?” he asked.

“Ummm—“ was all I could say.

“The reason I’m asking is because you got a card from him saying that he wanted to get together again, which logically implies that you’ve been together before.”

“It wasn’t really together,” I protested. “And it wasn’t like you and I were really serious yet.”

“We started going steady at prom,” Mortimer said stiffly. “I was under the impression that we were serious.”

Have you ever noticed that when someone is mad at you with good reason, the only way you can make yourself feel better is by getting mad in return? I was on the verge of telling Morty that he was mean and self-righteous and, and, mean, and I never wanted to see him again, when I got a text. It was one of my friends at uni telling me that Robert Richards had just died.

I showed Morty the text, and then I said, “Even if he were to live a hundred years, there would still never be anyone but you. If you don’t believe me, then there’s nothing I can do about that.”

He gave me a bittersweet smile and said, “Let’s not talk about it anymore, okay?”

In the afternoon it quit snowing, and Morty suggested we walk over to the beach. “Walks are good,” I said, “but there’s no way I’m going swimming.”

Morty smiled half-heartedly. On the way over, he said, “You know, we’ve been best friends since the fourth grade –“

“Third,” I corrected him.

“—And we were pretty young when we started going steady. So maybe it would be a good idea if we broke up for a while and saw other people – just to make sure that we know what we want.”

“No,” I said. “Noooo,” and I kissed him.

“Are you sure?” he asked. “Because I have a ring here with your name on it, and I’d hate for you to give it back to me sometime.”

The next thing I knew, he was on his knees, in the snow, proposing to me.

Of course I said yes.

And then I had a brilliant idea. I’d always planned on having a big wedding, with the arch and a wedding dress and cake and dancing, but the moment was so magical – in the snow on the beach, with a few wild horses milling around that I said, “Let’s get married right now.”

“I, Mortimer, take thee, Bella…”

“I, Bella, take thee, Mortimer…”

We headed home as man and wife. I turned around and took one last look at the beach, which would forever be our place…beautiful.

When the Zombies Come(Completed)--The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2013, 06:24:05 PM »
Beautiful scenery AND a ceremony officiate by a horse!!  Brilliant!
Nice update, Marian.  Loving your Bachelors stories!

Offline ombradellarosa

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2013, 06:24:50 PM »
Yay! I'm glad that whole thing was resolved. I thought the romance between Bella and Morty played out beautifully. The fight, the offering to break up, the proposal, everything.

By intl_incident                                                      By samoht04

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Eldridge

• I am thou, thou art I
  • Watcher
  • Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2013, 06:29:52 PM »
Oooh... How I do envy to see Bella in this story. She's beautiful and she's not turn into a "balloon" like in my game.
Nice update, I always love reading your story! Can't wait to see more! (as I Bella-Morty fans)
“Sometimes the little things in life mean the most.” ― Ellen Hopkins

My Stories:
1. The Demosthenes Immortal Dynasty: Kev's Corner #08 - Thankful (31/12/13)
2. The Goode-Rotter's Life Story: Case Eleven - Signs of Love (27/12/13)

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2013, 09:41:14 PM »
I'm glad that the situation resolved itself (though sad that Robert died!). Morty and Bella are such an adorable pair. It would have been a shame for something so trivial as a one-off smooch to come between them.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2013, 09:47:01 PM »
I was really surprised when the notification that Robert Richards was about to die popped up. Just goes to show that you never know what to expect in this game.

Offline Swirl-Girl

• Squirt
  • Watcher
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2013, 10:57:25 AM »
Here's to a beautiful marriage on the beach!

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2013, 10:19:32 AM »
CHICKENS

When we returned from our wedding, Mortimer started tickling me, and one thing led to another.

Later, Mortimer wanted a snack, so he raided the icebox. I guess he wasn’t paying attention when I warned him about Mom’s shrimp.

The rest of our holiday was basically uneventful. I went to the movies and wrote reviews in my blog for Weeping with Irony, and They Came with Tweezers. I gave both a “two thumbs up” in honor of my favorite reviewer.

While I was at the movies, Mortimer watched a performance at the coffeeshop by Tasha, an up-and-coming acrobat. He said he really admired her dedication, performing in the snow.

Robert learned the finer points of snowman construction from Michael.

River experimented with her new scanner, which apparently helps her determine whether an artwork is a forgery.

River has developed an interest in chickens, telling Michael that the demand for paintings of chicks has soared through the roof and she would like to cash in on it. Michael’s opinion was that they should wait for warmer weather to buy a coop.

Unfortunately, River’s enthusiasm communicated itself to Mortimer. “If we got a coop, we could make extra money while we’re at school,” he said. “It would beat selling our organs to the Science and Medicine Department.”

“Mm,” said I, not looking up from my book.

I think Mortimer noticed my lack of interest. “We might get some baby chicks, too, Bella. You’d like that, wouldn’t you? Fluffy little yellow chicks?”

I agreed that fluffy little yellow chicks would be adorable.

“Good,” he said. “So you won’t mind looking after them while I’m at class. After all, you’ll be taking only one class this term.” We had already agreed that he would take a heavy load and I would take a light one, and we’d both finish up next term with 12 credits each.

The chicken coop cost 1500 simoleons, and each bag of feed was $5.

Our first 4 eggs arrived a few hours after I fed them, and I received about $30 for them. At this rate, we would cover the cost of the coop about the same time we became elders.

“I got you a new dress with the money we made,” Mortimer announced later. I refrained from pointing out that we hadn’t “made” any money yet.

Even Mortimer agreed with me that although the dress was cute, it wasn’t quite my style. That night he went out to check on the coop and came back with a rare, exotic egg worth $1500.

Maybe the chickens weren’t such a bad idea after all. Plus, I have to admit that I feel happier after talking to them a bit. “Why is a chicken like a writing desk?” I ask, and then I giggle. It's almost as good as daring someone to divide by zero.

Offline Swirl-Girl

• Squirt
  • Watcher
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2013, 11:22:09 AM »
hehe!
Chickens! What are they from? Store content maybe? Or is it an expansion pack?
Love the update though.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2013, 11:57:27 AM »
Loved the Alice in Wonderland reference!!  Echoing Squirt, I had no idea there were chickens, much less chicken coops, in the Simverse.

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2013, 11:59:16 AM »
The Chicken Coop just came out to the Sims 3 Store.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2013, 12:05:00 PM »
The Chicken Coop just came out to the Sims 3 Store.
Thanks, Audren

Offline Eldridge

• I am thou, thou art I
  • Watcher
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2013, 03:19:51 PM »
Hmm, I see! So that is happen in other games too! *the fire blast thing after eating spicy food and the Sims location is so strange*
I wonder when it will be fixed...

I like  see Bella new outfit. I do wonder if that is part of new sets. It fit her well somehow.

My Stories:

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2013, 04:32:33 PM »
Pippin, The "raven -- writing desk" reference was made up by EA. You can ask a chicken a bunch of questions, like "Why did the chicken cross the road?" and get a +30 moodlet for 5 hours.

Eldridge, yes the dress came with the new set -- Country Livin'. It also has some cute clothes for children.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2013, 05:08:20 PM »
Well, that is news to me.  EA may have come up with it, but I have no doubt that you understood and appreciated it, so I'll just appreciate your intellectual nature instead  :=)

Offline Eldridge

• I am thou, thou art I
  • Watcher
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2013, 05:14:19 PM »
Oh! Thank you, MarianT. When you say about some cute clothes for children, maybe I will considering this.

My Stories:

Offline ombradellarosa

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2013, 01:13:17 AM »
Ooh, first chickens I've seen in a story! They look really fun, I'm envious of Bella and Morty :)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2013, 07:40:35 PM »
SENIOR SLUMP

It’s funny – one day University was terribly exciting, and then all of a sudden, it wasn’t. All I wanted to do was to have a baby with Mortimer, but I had to wait until I finished my degree. I don’t like waiting.

The most interesting thing that happened was that Mortimer found out he had a clone in his Technology class.

Morty tried to make friends with him, but the guy just shied away. Maybe he was a little freaked out, too.

Another interesting thing was that we threw a masquerade party after our junior year finals. I dressed up as a lady-in-waiting.

I guess the masquerade party started our talks about the future. “Let’s move to Dragon Valley after we graduate,” I said. “Wouldn’t that be cool?”

“What would I work on,” said Mortimer, “games about hobbits?”

“Or baby dragons,” I said. “Cute baby dragons.”

I can’t print Mortimer’s response in a family-friendly forum.

The next idea I had was that we could go to Isla Paradisa and run a resort. He didn’t think much of that idea, either.

Over the rest of the term, I kept having one idea after another – living on a houseboat in Sunlit Tides, meeting fairies in Moonlight Falls, making pizza in Monte Vista, finding aliens in Area 51 in Lucky Palms. One day Mortimer got exasperated.

“You’ve mentioned every place except Lunar Lakes, which is where I said I was interested in living, in case you’ve forgotten. Honestly, Bella, what have you got against the place?”

“It’s very far away,” I said.

“Which would be a consideration if you’d ever suggested we stay in Sunset Valley. But since you don’t seem to mind leaving your family, what difference does it make? I want you to be happy, but I don’t want us to move all over the Simiverse trying to find a place to settle down. We can either stay in Sunset Valley or head out to Lunar Lakes – your pick. And incidentally, if you’re interested in aliens, we’re more likely to find them in Lunar Lakes.”

I didn’t speculate much about where we would live after that. I couldn’t explain why I was resistant to the idea of living in (or on) Lunar Lakes. I tried to persuade myself that it would be an adventure – and ordinarily I loved adventures. But still I felt some dismay at the idea. Then it was time for finals, and I didn’t have any room in my cerebral cortex for anything but my classes.

Sooner than I realized, finals were over, and it was time to say good-bye to University for good. I wouldn’t miss the drab furniture in the living room, I told myself.

I wouldn’t miss our death-trap of a bed or the shower hooked up to a non-functioning water heater.

At that point I opened the door and looked at the foliage across the street. Even Sunset Valley didn’t look as good in autumn as the campus did. I would miss the trees, especially in Lunar Lakes.

Mortimer suggested we do something fun and go down to the beach. We hadn’t been to the beach the whole time we’d been in college, he said. As we stepped out of the door, a rainbow appeared. It seemed to end where the beach was.

It’s impossible to feel dismal when looking at a rainbow. My spirits lifted, and I hurried out the door.

When we arrived at the beach, Mortimer stopped and picked something from a bush.

“It’s a deathflower,” he said. “It’ll protect you from the Grim Reaper. Here, take it.”

“No way,” I said. “The person who should have it is the one who pokes around computers with a screwdriver. You keep it.”

And in that moment, I realized that I definitely wanted to live wherever Mortimer did, and that Lunar Lakes might actually be pretty interesting. “Hey, I’ve got an idea!” I said. “Why don’t we go to Lunar Lakes after graduation?”

“You’re serious?” he said. “You’re not just saying that to please me?”

There was only one way to answer him.

After that we graduated.

Mortimer didn’t wear a gown (I think his clone took it), but we both received our diplomas, and an extra trait. Mortimer is now a workaholic, and I’m family-oriented.

While we waited for the van, I fussed at the mirror, trying to pick out a new look for myself – something that says professional but stylish, something that will make a positive impression in job interviews. This is what I chose.

I tried to get Mortimer to pick a new look, but he says he’ll probably be wearing t-shirts to work. He did get rid of the knit cap, though, which was beginning to look kind of grungy.

And then the van came, and we left.

“Hail to thee, our alma mater
         By the Simsim Sea.
        Through the years we’ll oft remember,
        days we spent with thee…”

Sniff, sniff sob. Let’s try something else – “Gerbits, gerbits, vo-o-o-o Gerbits!”

Offline Eldridge

• I am thou, thou art I
  • Watcher
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2013, 07:55:52 PM »
That was really nice! I love how you put the next what will coming out in your story (Dragon Valley & Island Paradise) :3
I think that I know that man, but I didn't remember who the name is...

Morty and Bella make a cute couple here. Oh, how I love to see them there, especially in a good hand like you XD
I just hope that I can found out more about Michael, even it's just an interlude or some scene. I'm really curious what is he doing :3

My Stories:

Offline ombradellarosa

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2013, 08:55:02 PM »
Wow, Morty was not looking to compromise there! I think he was kind of being a jerk. 'Either we do what I want or we stay where we are.' Nice. Anyway, I'm glad it worked out all right.

The clone was freaky. It's always weird to see clones like that!

Did you just get the new castle clothes? The lady in waiting dress is what Bella's wearing, yes?

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2013, 09:48:05 PM »
I could have made Bella more tiresome, I guess. I thought of having him suggest that if she could come up with one place she wanted to live and stick to it for a week, they'd consider it, but that seemed too long-winded.

Yes, Bella's dress is from the new set. (And actually some of her dithering is mine -- ooh, I want to play them in Dragon Valley, or Isla Paradisa, or ....).