Poll

Which were your three favourite entries?

PandaChelsea - Le Party Dorm
1 (1.4%)
ladybug53 - Ainsley Hall
1 (1.4%)
Gheez - Rainbow Rooms
4 (5.6%)
Gulliver the cat! - Jefferson Hall
8 (11.3%)
rarespawn - It's Academic!
4 (5.6%)
saltpastillen - The Key 2 Knowledge Dormitory Complex
13 (18.3%)
Vinyl - Legitimate Business Dormitory
6 (8.5%)
Gogowars329 - Harlin Halls
10 (14.1%)
Snufflesxx - Blogwarts Tower Domitory
5 (7%)
Chuckles_82 - Morten Lodge
11 (15.5%)
Neashaleigh - Bluestone Courts
8 (11.3%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: April 13, 2013, 01:17:57 PM

Author Topic: Building Contest 2013: 6 - Dream Dormitories  (Read 31116 times)

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
Key 2 Knowledge Dormitory Complex
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 02:53:05 PM »
The Key 2 Knowledge Dormitory Complex

Lot Size : 40x40
Lot Type : Dormitory
Price Furnished : § 149,442 (when placed on 531 S Bend Ave)
Price Unfurnished : § 74,761

Expansions Used : Supernatural, Pets, Late Night, World Adventures, Seasons, Showtime, Generations, Ambitions, University Life
Stuff Packs Used : Katy Perry Sweet Treats, 70's 80's 90's, Town Life, Outdoor Living

Free Stuff from The Store (can be found here):
Plants vs. Zombie Poster
Bookshelf of the East from South Sea Imports
Sippin Succulents
Love in Darkness

Welcome fresh faced University hopefuls!

We are pleased you decided to stay at the Key 2 Knowledge Dormitory Complex, where we offer you the chance to assert your new found independence by acquiring an us vs. them mentality by joining one of our two houses. Let me show you around...

Let's start our tour at the main quad where you can work out to our superior sound system, drink all the juice you'll never need and build roaring bonfires. If you get sleepy why don't you snuggle up in one of the sleeping bags?

Key Hall
The building where our two houses can meet across party lines.

Ground floor

In the entryway/stairway the prizes won by our previous alumni is displayed and a large notice board helps you keep updated about current activities in the house.

The kitchen/dining room has assigned seating for each house, with a neutral outdoor seating area for "mixed" company. The large herb and coffee garden adjacent to the kitchen provides you with everything you could need. 

There is also a TV/Arcade room where you can relax, play video games, get a sugary treat or even smack some gnomes! If you fancy something more athletic step outside for some soccer or a game of catch.

Second floor

Shuffleboard, chess or darts - the upstairs lounge is the place to be if games of chance and skill interest you. This is also where our famous debate team practice and where former alumni come to inspire you with their life stories.

The library is well equipped with bookshelves and computers. Each house has their own designated computer easily recognized by color. There are also 2 semi-private study areas with Key Hall computers you can book on the downstairs notice board. If reading is your cup of tea, cozy up in the beanbag chairs or enjoy fresh air on the balcony.

Basement

Key 2 Knowledge Dormitories have decided to forgo the house rule when it comes to bathroom facilities in favor of the more conventional males with males and females with females. Each of the 2 bathrooms have 3 showers and 3 toilets to share. There are also dressers if you need a change of wardrobe.

Are you of a more supernatural persuasion? Does sunlight burn your skin or force you to resort to sparkling skincare? If so Key Hall offers special housing in the crypt. There is also a sarcophagus where you sleep like a king. (If you are of the fairy variety there is a lovely cottage by the herb garden.)

Do you wish your room was larger? Did the former resident leave a ton of junk you want to get rid of? Do you need somewhere to build your Secret Laboratory or Bat Cave? Do not fear, each house has a large room in the basement that you can rent or "acquire". You will have all the space you need.

Rooftop

What would University life be without rooftop parties? Dance all night long, mix some great drinks or play your music to your adoring fans. The possibilities are endless.

Go Pterodactyls! Go Marsupials!

Situated on either side of the main quad the Dino Annex and Kangaroo Row each feature 4 individually designed rooms in tune with their house's theme.

Those more artistically inclined are encouraged to stay at the Dino Annex while those rooting for hard science or even harder muscles should check out Kangaroo Row. Each house has a designated skilling/recreation area on the rooftop as well as an attached bicycle garage.

I hope you will enjoy your time here at the Key 2 Knowledge Dormitory Complex. Go forth and study, learn and be inspired. But don't forget the extra curricular activities.

Now, lets paaarty!

Key 2 Knowledge Dormitory Complex can be downloaded here.

Offline Vinyl

• I hear plumbobs are worth a fortune on the black market
  • Occult
Re: Building Contest 2013: 6 - Dream Dormitories
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 05:54:43 PM »
Legitimate Business Dormitory - (Dormitory)
Lot Size: 40x40
Lot Value: $149,993
Suggested Placement: 531 S Bend Ave, University World
Content Used: All Expansions
Number of Bed Spaces: 8
Number of Bathrooms: 3
Description: The School of Legitimate Business & Other Serious Studies converted this former office building into a dormitory for its students.  It has everything an ambitious student needs to get ahead in the world of legitimate business.  The old call centre serves as a quiet study hall where students can focus on their assignments.  Students can make contacts and develop relationships in the school spirit atrium on the main floor.  When they need a pick me up they can mix up a drink, grill up some lunch, or grab a quick bite from the barista bar.* 

The School of Legitimate Business & Other Serious Studies encourages its students to develop their bodies as well as their minds.  On the second floor there's a gym with a wide variety of activities to train everything from muscles to reflexes.  Sometimes students need to simply relax and set aside the strenuous curriculum of legitimate business studies, which is why there's a cosmic black light bowling alley and lounge in the basement.  Other forms of relaxation include enjoying a toasty bonfire out back under the gaze of friendly Pyrosaurus Wrex, official mascot of the School of Legitimate Business & Other Serious Studies.**  Students can even study the stars up on the roof using new state of the art telescopes.*** 

Modern accommodations provide everything a student requires.  They can brush up on their charisma while brushing their teeth in the co-ed washrooms.  Each student gets a private room where they can rest after a busy day of learning.  Enrollment is always ongoing, so don't hesitate a moment longer - contact the School of Legitimate Business & Other Serious Studies and sign up today!

*The School of Legitimate Business & Other Serious Studies expresses condolences and good wishes to Roasted Toasted Beans as they deal with the aftermath of a recent burglary.
**The School of Legitimate Business & Other Serious Studies expresses condolences and good wishes to Cambrian College as they deal with the aftermath of a recent burglary.
***The School of Legitimate Business & Other Serious Studies expresses condolences and good wishes to Solaris Planetarium as they deal with the aftermath of a recent burglary.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Gogowars329

• Watcher
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 06:51:33 AM »
Building Contest 2013, #6
Dream Dormitories

Name: Harlin Halls
Lot Size: 40 x 40
Bedrooms and Bathrooms: 8 br, 2 ba
Cost Furnished: $146,481
 Cost Unfurnished: $97,376
EP and SPs: Late Night, Generations, Pets, Master Suite, Showtime, Seasons, 70s 80s and 90s, University Life

Harlin Halls was founded by the great Alexand Harlin who had a great part in building the amazing Sims University. The house is styled to be easy to move around in and also very party-orientated.  With a garage fitted for parties and holding cars, a grand pool, eight different styled bedrooms, a gym, a dining hall and a deluxe study room, why wouldn’t you want to live here?

Gogowars Inc - The place to find all of my wonderful Sims 3 creations

Offline Snufflesxx

• Sherlockian
  • Watcher
  • Every puzzle has an answer
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 11:17:56 AM »
Blogwarts Tower Domitory

8br, 2ba

Lot size: 50 x 50
Lot type: Residential
Furnished lot value: 145,577
Unfurnished lot value: 90,048
Content: Supernatural, Late Night, Showtime, Pets

Welcome the Blogwarts Tower Dorms, the perfect dorm for young witches and wizards! This special dormitory is equipped with everything that you might need to advance your magical studies.

Blogwarts Tower Dormitory has eight separate bedrooms, two large communal bathrooms, a spacious kitchen, two lounge areas, a study room, party room and broom stands.

The bedrooms are sorted into houses and the style match the house.

"Myffindor" - Funky reds, oranges and yellows, with bold patterns. Rock out on your guitar when you're not studying!

"Hitherlyn" - Dark greens, a slightly gloomy atmosphere, complete with a snake terrarium for your slithery friends!

"Blufflepuff" - Friendly yellow, with some blue strips to add excitement. Show the world your creativity on your easel!

"Havenclaw" - Smart, sophisticated, you need a room to study in. But there's still going to be room for your feathered pal, with a blue bird cage, perfect for birds big and small!

All bedrooms have a standard bed, desk and drawers.

As any witch or wizard will know, the greatest magic must be hidden away! The tower and study room are accessible via hidden bookshelf doors.

So have fun and remember; the Muggles can't see it!
** My Stories **

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research." - Sherlock

Chuckles_82

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 01:09:08 AM »
Morten Lodge

Lot Size: 40x40
Lot Type: Dormitory 8 BR, 2 BA
Furnished Value: §149, 915
Unfurnished Value: §111, 194
Content: Ambitions, Nightlife, Outdoor Living Stuff, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University

The ultimate co-ed party dorm, with sleek modern style provides your sim with the ultimate party experience. Form a band and rock out with your friends, practice your bar tending skills or bar games. If you prefer you could study. The dorm even meets most basic needs, and plenty of opportunities to skill up before heading out into the real world.

Facilities include:

- Kitchen
- Male and Female bathrooms
- Large study room with space to place equipment
- Common room
- Art space
- Pond stocked with common varieties of freshwater fish
- Established garden with various plants and herbs
- Laundry
- Party room for rocking out
- Gym
- Sleek modern individual bedrooms - no sharing
- A car space for each student

Offline Neashaleigh

• Immortal
  • Divergent
    • The Sims - Houses
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2013, 04:42:09 AM »
Sorry, I know this is late to ask questions. I'm hoping to get my entry in today! But was just looking at the requirements and noticed that you ask for 8 bedrooms and 8 bed-spaces. Just want to clarify this: Do there HAVE to be 8 SEPARATE bedrooms? Or can I have, say, 4 bedrooms as long as the Dorm can sleep 8 people?

Thanks!
*´¨)
 ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.• Neasha Leigh

The Sims 3 - Houses
My Sims 3 Studio
My Sims 4 Studio

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2013, 04:50:48 AM »
Sorry, I know this is late to ask questions. I'm hoping to get my entry in today! But was just looking at the requirements and noticed that you ask for 8 bedrooms and 8 bed-spaces. Just want to clarify this: Do there HAVE to be 8 SEPARATE bedrooms? Or can I have, say, 4 bedrooms as long as the Dorm can sleep 8 people?

Thanks!

Ideally yes, 8 separate bedrooms. However as long as your Dorm can sleep 8 sims I guess that's okay. It would be better if there was the option for a Sim not to share though, personally I don't like my sims sharing dorm rooms - the roomeis stink, Lol.
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Neashaleigh

• Immortal
  • Divergent
    • The Sims - Houses
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2013, 05:08:21 AM »
Ideally yes, 8 separate bedrooms. However as long as your Dorm can sleep 8 sims I guess that's okay. It would be better if there was the option for a Sim not to share though, personally I don't like my sims sharing dorm rooms - the roomeis stink, Lol.

Lol ok. Well I've managed 6 bedrooms, so there'll be at least 2 bedrooms with only a single bed in for those Simmies who hate sharing ;)
*´¨)
 ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.• Neasha Leigh

The Sims 3 - Houses
My Sims 3 Studio
My Sims 4 Studio

Offline Neashaleigh

• Immortal
  • Divergent
    • The Sims - Houses
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2013, 11:30:39 AM »
Bluestone Courts

Commercial Lot: Dormitory (place on No Visitors Allowed then change to Dormitory)
Lot size: 40x40
Price Furnished: §146,733
Price Unfurnished: §81,126
Expansions: All
Stuff Packs: All
Store items: None (to my knowledge)

NOTE: UNSURE EXACTLY WHAT I'VE USED as I cannot upload it to the Exchange to check at this time.

Unable at this time to get decent pictures of the bedrooms, but the overhead shot should show you what they look like. There are 4 single bedrooms and 2 double bedrooms with bunk beds.
2 bathrooms close to the bedrooms and 1 in the basement.
Dorm includes:
Kitchens
Dining
Common room
Study area
Skills room
Games room
Gym
Outdoor area

Download
*´¨)
 ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.• Neasha Leigh

The Sims 3 - Houses
My Sims 3 Studio
My Sims 4 Studio

Offline samoht04

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 01:18:24 PM »
The Poll is now up! Vote for your three favourite dorms! It's going to be tough to pick three!  :)

Offline samoht04

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2013, 04:32:50 AM »
Building Contest 2013: 6 - Dream Dormitories - March 24, 2013 - April 6, 2013
    Saltpastillen!

Congratulations to Saltpastillen! You can download the winning entry here: The Key 2 Knowledge Dormitory Complex .

Saltpastillen's Comment:

"I'm blown away to win this contest. There were so many exciting and interesting builds, I think all the entries were great. I had so big plans for this challenge, but with the limited funds this was the compromise I arrived at where I could use as many University items as possible. Realizing I could use the roofs as extra rooms was what really made it come together. The rooftop party area was inspired by my own dorm in University. The greatest parties were always held on the roof."

Congratulations Saltpastillen and the thread is now open for comments!  :)

Offline Gogowars329

• Watcher
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2013, 04:36:12 AM »
Congratulations saltpastillen on yet another well deserved win. I agree that it was a tough competition as everyone did a great job. Thanks to the building contest coordinators and to the ten people who voted for me. I never thought I would come third, I was thinking with all the other amazing builds I'd come close to last!

I'm open to comments on my build.
Gogowars Inc - The place to find all of my wonderful Sims 3 creations

Offline Neashaleigh

• Immortal
  • Divergent
    • The Sims - Houses
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2013, 04:40:56 AM »
Congrats Saltpastillen! An absolutely GORGEOUS build! I loved it!

@Gogowars: I really liked your build too, but the only comment I would make is perhaps the front needed a few more windows in those huge blank walls? Other than that, it looked like a fun place to stay whilst studying! I can well imagine the parties happening there! ;)

I'm open to suggestions and feedback on my build as well :)
*´¨)
 ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.• Neasha Leigh

The Sims 3 - Houses
My Sims 3 Studio
My Sims 4 Studio

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2013, 05:04:03 AM »
Thanks for all your kind words you guys! Any additional comments are welcome.

@Gogo - It was great that every room had a double bed (how very "party" oriented of you ;)). My favorite room in the dorm was the study/library, the use of the beanbag chairs in front of the fireplace made it really cozy and relaxed at the same time. I could totally see students relaxing in there while cramming for exams. You had a good neutral color scheme that really fits in great with the world. Once again I have to credit your live action screenshots, they really make your build come alive.

@Neashleigh -Another great build. I like that you gave your house a more rounded shape. I also liked the use of half walls to separate the kitchen/dining area. Another plus is that you included a 3rd bathroom in the basement, great for when you working on that skill equipment. I would have preferred more outdoor activities or at least shots of the outdoor area.

Chuckles_82

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2013, 05:44:36 AM »
Congratulations Saltpastillen! You did really well compromising with the limited budget. I had to continually cull and cull and cull with mine - it was very hard.

All of the builds were unique and interesting.

@Gogowars - your build had a nice layout, but perhaps a bit more landscaping and windows. It had a very nice student-housing feel.

@Neashleigh - I liked your colour-scheme, but I think it would be improved if you dialled back the amount of blue just a little. More of the browns and creams that you have used will help.

I am open to comments on my build.