Author Topic: The Mini-Stuart (Festival House) 20x15  (Read 5169 times)

Offline Vinyl

• I hear plumbobs are worth a fortune on the black market
  • Occult
The Mini-Stuart (Festival House) 20x15
« on: July 07, 2013, 05:53:55 PM »
The Mini-Stuart (Festival House)
Lot Size: 20x15
Bedrooms: 1 (double bed)
Bathrooms: 1
Cost:  132,898
Cost unfurnished:  32,770
Requires expansion/Sims 3 store content: All expansions to University, Master Suite (bathroom), Outdoor Living (decorative candle holder only - house is easily playable without this stuff pack)

Long before he achieved stardom, this house was the original testing and development home of Martin Stuart, famed lifestyle designer, TV host, and author of "The Obsession of Decorating and Hosting: You're Not Doing it Right Unless You're Doing it Perfectly."  Designed around a young, fresh lifestyle full of parties, friends, and patios, this home comes with prototype features of the iconic Stuart brand known today.

A kitchen for every season

This house is a festival house.  It uses the festival lot marker to rotate through four different interiors and exteriors based on the season.  As such it is item intensive for such a small size, and any changes to the interior will need the 'testingcheatsenabled' and 'buydebug' cheats. 

There's very few items in the Common mode - the bathroom fixtures and overhead light, the washer/dryer, and the large kitchen appliances, counters, and track lighting.  Everything else changes every season. 

Changing exterior

Even the gardens change.  In spring there's flowers (lavender, wonderpetal, etc) and flower barrels, in summer there's herbs (basil, peppermint, etc) and tropical fronds, in fall there's vegetables (tomatoes, onions, pumpkins) and gnomes, and in winter there's red flamingos and evergreens.  Plants that require tending go dormant during their off season, so it's only ever three or four plants to tend at a time.  If you'd prefer none, simply have your sim dispose of the plants when the season changes - once they're removed, they won't come back.  The plant/fence arrangement means deer can't eat them, which is great, but zombies are sim size and can access them, so keep that in mind!

There are two deciduous trees on the lot, which means sims can enjoy changing colours and playing in leaves.

There's an outdoor seasonal activity for each season.  Spring has outdoor easels and a putting green, summer has a water slide, fall has a horseshoe court, and winter has a telescope.

The backyard patio also changes each season.  Spring has a picnic table with picnic basket (keep an eye on it, or it'll wind up in a sim's inventory), summer has patio tables, a grill, and a regular bar, fall has lounge chairs, and winter has a barista bar and outdoor table for enjoying hot drinks and sweet treats.

Summer

Summer's decor is full of tropical touches and bright, warm florals.  The TV in the living room triggers dynamic lighting (everything other than one dim light turns off when the TV is on, all the lights turn on when the TV is turned off).  There's a stereo in the living room/kitchen and one on the patio.  A snowcone machine is in the kitchen.  There's plenty of seating in summer and lots of room for dancing, making it a great time for hosting pool parties.

Because there's a video game system in the house, sims will always be able to play video games on a TV in any season, even if the game machine isn't present in that version of the home.  It's a neat quirk of the festival lot feature!

Spring

Spring art studio (living room)

Spring does not have a TV.  It does have a laptop, and it also has easels plus a sculpting station.  Artwork that isn't finished by summer will disappear until next spring, when it will return in the exact same state.  The stereo triggers dynamic lighting on the sculpture in the living room.

Fall

Fall is full of rustic autumn colours and retro fabrics.  There's a large table ideal for feast parties and a large comfortable sofa to collapse on when stuffed.  Sims can even "watch the big game" (play sports game) from the table!  There's a bookshelf perfect for finding a book to curl up with on a cold night.  A jukebox with warm flame patterning provides tunes and a great substitute for a fireplace.

Winter

Winter has enough floor space to easily host gift giving parties.  It also has a 'Trees of Light' festive wall hanging set up right where the present pile goes (this uses the Outdoor Living candle holders, but regular wall candles could be substituted for a similar effect).

Winter bedroom

Each season has an entirely unique bedroom.  While the washer and dryer remain the same, there is a chance laundry from one basket to the next will disappear until the season comes back into rotation.  During testing this didn't appear to cause any problems with collecting or washing the laundry, either by household members or maids/butlers.

The bathroom also changes each season, though not as dramatically as the other rooms.  Curtains, towels, rugs, and some decorative items will come and go to fit the theme of each season. 

Winter living room

Winter has a TV and a bookshelf for keeping busy on cold nights.  There's a stereo tucked under the side table between the two armchairs.  The TV triggers the same dynamic lighting (all but one dim light off for watching, all lights on when the TV is off).  The lot is definitely large enough for snowmen, probably large enough for some snow angels if the snowmen aren't built first, but unfortunately not large enough for an igloo.

Caveats:  Since this lot uses the festival marker some quirks will be present.  For example, trying to place a bouquet of picked flowers on what appears to be an empty counter space might not be possible because there is an invisible something already there (like the snow cone machine).  Sims you don't control might use or sit on furniture that isn't present (doesn't happen often, but it can happen). 

I've done limited testing with placing inventory objects around the house (diplomas, flowers, etc) and while it seems to work and the house will move them if they get in the way of something in the next season, I don't recommend placing many, if any, just in case.  The safest objects to put items on seem to be flat surfaces (bedside tables, coffee tables, dining room table), and if something must be hung on the wall I'd recommend cycling through the seasons and placing diplomas or photos only where nothing else ever appears.

Let me know if you have any questions about the home, or if anything extra quirky happens.  Feel free to use it, re-decorate it, use it in stories or in screenshots.  Enjoy!

Here's a guide for using the seasonal lot marker.  Even though the tutorial is on a community lot the same techniques are used for editing the house.

Offline MissPlumbBob

• Sims Biographer
  • Immortal
Re: The Mini-Stuart (Festival House) 20x15
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 11:39:56 PM »
I'm not sure why, but the house isn't changing for me. I'm using cheats to switch seasons, but the house stays in its summer form. I think I'm missing something. Do you have any suggestions?

Also, when in buy mode, much of the furniture is transparent. I don't know what to do about this.

EDIT: I got it to change by switching between live and buy modes. The furniture is still behaving that way, though. Ideas?

I forgot to mention: this is one of my favorite houses in the Swap Shop! Every season's decor goes well. I love it; thanks for uploading!
Check out my new story here!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Vinyl

• Occult
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 07:57:55 AM »
Ah, my apologies, I couldn't find the guide for using the seasonal lot marker when I posted, but here it is.  Basically to edit the house you'll need testingcheatsenabled and buydebug turned on.  A silver ball in the front of the yard will appear (it will be visible in Buy mode).  By ctrl+left clicking on it you'll see options for Common, Construction, Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring. 

There's nothing in Construction (that's for seasonal community lots/fairs).  Common is where you'll find the bathroom, laundry, and kitchen.  By having these objects in the common section that means they'll be the same objects for the entirety of the year - they don't switch from season to season. 

When selecting a season it will have everything that appears in only that season (the vast majority of the house!).  When you see something that's transparent it means it's an object located in a different mode.  For this house the bathroom, kitchen, and laundry objects should be transparent when you're editing a season.  If you click on them and move them you essentially pull them into that season - for example, if you move the fridge during summer and it becomes solid that means it would only show up in summer.

{I think because I chose the 'lock common objects in place' option you shouldn't be able to accidentally pull common objects into the individual seasons, but I'm not sure how or if that would transfer across games.}

Hopefully that makes sense.  Once the silver ball shows up it's easy to click through the seasons, and knowing that the stuff in common is pretty much "the stuff that doesn't ever change" it should be fairly straightforward to edit the house. 

Let me know if you have any other questions.  Glad to hear you're enjoying the house so far!

Offline MissPlumbBob

• Sims Biographer
  • Immortal
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 10:20:49 AM »
I understand now. Thanks for the tips.  :)

EDIT: Just wanted to tell you that the bathroom fixtures are from Master Suite SP.

Offline Vinyl

• Occult
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 01:12:34 PM »
Thanks for the tip about the Master Suite bathroom.  I tried to avoid SPs, but so many of those icons look similar it's far too easy for my eyes to mix them up (at the time, I thought they were Showtime fixtures).  OP has been edited to reflect this.

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 04:21:54 AM »
This was such a cool idea and built so well that I shared it on twitter and also tweeted it to SimGuruGraham, who said this. :) Great house!
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline MissPlumbBob

• Sims Biographer
  • Immortal
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 01:15:54 PM »
That's so cool! Congratulations on the recognition, Vinyl!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Vinyl

• Occult
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 08:24:07 AM »
Oh wow, thanks!  :D

Offline Neashaleigh

• Immortal
  • Divergent
    • The Sims - Houses
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 08:31:47 AM »
Oh wow! I didn't even know you could DO this!!!!!

Downloading it now!

Wowowowow!
*´¨)
 ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.• Neasha Leigh

The Sims 3 - Houses
My Sims 3 Studio
My Sims 4 Studio

Offline PolarBair

• Occult
    • This is a link to my studio on the exchange where my builds can be downloaded.
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 11:53:51 AM »
Oh wow! I didn't even know you could DO this!!!!!

Downloading it now!

Wowowowow!

Me either. This is brilliant. I might do this to all my future builds and have the swimming pools replaced with ice skating rinks in the winter.

Great idea there Vinyl. :)
My Builds
The EPs I have are:
Ambitions
World Adventurer
Late Night
Showtime
Seasons

Offline Niana

• Occult
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 02:36:24 PM »
Such a cool concept for a house! Downloading for sure :)

Do you know where I can find a tutorial for the dynamic lighting? Thanks!!

Offline Vinyl

• Occult
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 03:18:25 PM »
Neashaleigh, PolarBair - Have fun playing with the marker!  Only advice I can offer is try starting small at first.  When I first started building this house I wondered why I hadn't seen many festival houses before.  By the time it was finished I understood. :D  This house is essentially four houses in one which is a lot of fun to create, but probably wound up being much more work than building four normal homes from scratch.

Also keep in mind that even though the other seasons aren't visible all of those objects are still there using up memory.  It terrifies me to think of how much the game would have to track if a normal or large size home was fully seasonal!

Oh, and PolarBair, unfortunately a lot of the build mode objects can't be seasonal.  Walls, foundations, windows, doors, pools, trees, shrubs, flowers, etc.  Strangely the only things that could be seasonal when I last checked were columns.  But you could definitely change an ice rink into a roller skating rink or a bunch of water slides!

Niana - The 'dynamic lighting' is just using the standard tomb-building techniques to link triggers.  I know there's a guide or two floating around here on how to do it (it's pretty simple once you're used to the flow of 'thing that triggers the change' gets linked to 'thing that changes').  Found them - Here's Carl's guide on tomb-building and here's a thread about creative non-tomb uses of triggers and traps. 

If you need a house to play with and deconstruct to practice object triggering feel free to tear apart my old contest entry.  It's got all sorts of triggers and even traps set up, as well as 'on' and 'off' states for some of the systems.  Past the initial hurdle of figuring out how to work with triggers it's really a lot of fun to build with them!  And feel free to let me know if you have any questions about triggers after you've given them a try.

Offline Niana

• Occult
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 03:37:42 PM »
Awesome, will get back to you once I plough through all that reading material and mess around some in-game!

Offline Arefa

• Llama Wrangler
    • Build Mode with Arefa
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 09:59:03 AM »
What and ingenious idea!  I did not know that something like this could even be done.  That's why I really like this community... so many great and creative ideas.