Author Topic: 4x4 Dynasty Workbench  (Read 67603 times)

Offline Shirin

• Watcher
Re: 4x4 Dynasty Workbench
« Reply #195 on: August 26, 2013, 11:21:52 AM »
Thank you, Metro!

I also second Turoskel's idea of a 16 item collection for the town - maybe each heir is responsible for 4 of them?

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #196 on: August 26, 2013, 11:22:56 AM »
I really like the idea of the complete collections - it's something that's different from previous dynasties.  However, I agree it's complicated: as Marian said, steak and burger plants need supermarket ingredients as "seeds".  So do cheese and egg plants.  (Or use the ingredients that come with a fridge, I suppose - and I'm not sure about the chicken coop from the store.  Can those eggs be planted?  Not that that helps the rest of us :(.)  If it were up to me, I'd be inclined to allow plants grown from bought ingredients.  You still need high gardening skill and, for some plants, opportunities to grow them.  Maybe insist on perfect specimens for fish and plants?  Although I don't know how someone could prove that they'd done that.  Tricky, isn't it?  :-\

And there's the metal problem: people with WA can't get a complete collection without a dog/werewolf, display case tansfiguration or buying supernovium and compendium.  As it stands, I don't think the rules allow any of those.

Marian, reading around this, it seems that the extra spawners unlocked by the butterfly collector challenge include will o' the wisps - although I'm talking from a position of total ignorance here, as a non-Late Night player.

Edit:  Shirin, meant to say that I love your addition to the spreadsheet.

On the subject of moving rules, can 'moving heirs' take their LTHP rewards to the next world?  It doesn't really make much difference in practice, since they could save up their points and spend them when they arrive, but it might be good to get that clarified.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #197 on: August 26, 2013, 11:30:49 AM »
To be honest the collecting part was putting me off having a go at this dynasty as I am not a collector and I don't think I would find them all. The problem is deciding what exactly counts as a collection that you can have on display.
I like the idea of each set of four heirs having to collect 16 things.Finding 16 different things seems more achievable.
 As far as I know we have gems,metals,butterflies and insects,fish,tomb stuff that could be collected and displayed.

I disregarded seeds/plants and small animals as they cannot be put on display.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #198 on: August 26, 2013, 11:41:02 AM »
A 40-item collection (duplicates possible) might be challenging enough.  One problem with complete collections is that some collections would be very small (fireflies, mushrooms), and others quite large (plants, fish).

If you want to stick with completeness, I would recommend adding minor pets and possibly inventions, elixirs, and potions, and tomb relics (maybe from one country?). Otherwise, I could see everyone doing the same 4 collections.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #199 on: August 26, 2013, 11:49:27 AM »
One problem with complete collections is that some collections would be very small (fireflies, mushrooms), and others quite large (plants, fish).
Fireflies might be a small collection but it seems to be horribly difficult to complete (or maybe that's just me).  I find fish and plants much easier, even though there are more of them.  I wonder whether everyone would go for the same collections?  I'm currently thinking probably fish, plants, space rocks and gems - possibly with beetles and/or butterflies substituted in for one or two of them, although they seem to have got a lot harder since Pets.

Offline Snufflesxx

• Sherlockian
  • Watcher
  • Every puzzle has an answer
« Reply #200 on: August 26, 2013, 11:53:44 AM »
Just to throw another idea into the mix, if you wanted to move away from the collecting element of it, then you could go down a similar route to the Life States Dynasty regarding have a particular number of objects that are the result of a skill (e.g paintings, sculptures, etc). Perhaps there could be 4 items for 4 skills per town (e.g 4 sculptures, 4 paintings, 4 photos and 4 potions), but the skills obviously wouldn't be unique because there aren't enough skills in the game.

Regarding the 16 item idea, does that mean we would collect 16 different types of butterfly or just 16 butterflies? As a collecting novice, I prefer the latter but obviously the other idea is far more challenging and therefore more appealing to lots of players.

I'm actually glad you're altering the collection part of the requirements... I'm just so lazy when it comes to collecting  ::)
** My Stories **

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research." - Sherlock

Offline Turoskel

• Watcher
« Reply #201 on: August 26, 2013, 12:11:06 PM »
I was thinking 16 different types, there's 10 in a home world and 2 per WA world (also 3 will-o-wisps in Bridgeport) beetles has 10 in home world, one with uni, one per WA world and two with late night but they can be found with a dumpster.

This is also why I mentioned choosing two collectables and splitting it up if there wasn't enough for 16, I just feel if you can have any butterfly that's a bit too easy as some are very common, but 16 different butterflies is a bit harder and more of a challenge, especially when some of them are extraordinarily unusual.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Snufflesxx

• Sherlockian
  • Watcher
« Reply #202 on: August 26, 2013, 12:38:41 PM »
I was thinking 16 different types, there's 10 in a home world and 2 per WA world (also 3 will-o-wisps in Bridgeport) beetles has 10 in home world, one with uni, one per WA world and two with late night but they can be found with a dumpster.

This is also why I mentioned choosing two collectables and splitting it up if there wasn't enough for 16, I just feel if you can have any butterfly that's a bit too easy as some are very common, but 16 different butterflies is a bit harder and more of a challenge, especially when some of them are extraordinarily unusual.

That makes sense. I think after all my holiday relaxing, my brain is stuck in easy mode  ::)

Could you not possibly have 4 of each for 4 collections for each town? For example, you could have 4 unique butterflies, 4 unique beetles, 4 unique plants and 4 unique space rocks. So, you could use butterflies for more than one town but if you used a Moth, a Monarch Butterfly, a Red Admiral Butterfly and a Mission Blue Butterfly in Town 1, you couldn't use any of those 4 butterflies in any of the next three towns. That would mean that there was an extra element of strategy involved by choosing the rarity of the collectables you were going to target for each town. I hope that makes sense, I'm confusing even myself now  ::)
** My Stories **

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research." - Sherlock

Offline Shirin

• Watcher
« Reply #203 on: August 26, 2013, 12:39:17 PM »
I'd like to expand on my idea a bit.

This is titled a 4x4 Dynasty, so to me, if each of the 4 heirs is responsible for adding 4 items to the family neighborhood museum, it kind of ties in to the theme of 4x4. They don't even have to be part of the same "collection," if we are allowed to expand on what is permitted (more like what's found in the Townie DecaDynasty list). If we go with collections and production, just off the top of my head with all EPs, I've got 18 possibilities. 19 if we can break up some (ie: herbs is separate from gardening, since not everyone has UL). So while each family is leaving a museum for the neighborhood, each person can leave a "bit of themselves" as well. Does that make sense?

The only other thing that I think would be nice (just from my own perspective) is that if each section had a likeness of the heir who did the collection/production (portrait, photograph, ice sculpture).

This would also help eliminate the one big problem I could foresee. Once the heir is born, the former heir's spouse is responsible for childrearing while the former heir goes out and does the collection. This way, every heir has to contribute, but I don't think it's too onerous of a task either.

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #204 on: August 26, 2013, 12:58:18 PM »
Okay folks. What if we go from ...

Before the 4th heir is allowed to move to the next world the household (only founders and heirs can contribute to family goals) must complete 4 requirements:

1). Have 1 Complete Collection. This must be a unique collection for your entire Dynasty—i.e. butterflies cannot be the collection for world #1 and #2. The collection must always be on display either on your home lot or a purchased property.

to...

1) Have 1 Family 4x4 Collection. Each Heir in each world must contribute 4 objects that are either the product of a skill (books, plants, paintings, sculptures, photographs, etc) or some type of collectible (i.e. bugs, metals, etc). Each heirs' objects must be a different type than another heirs' objects in a given world. So, Heir #1 might contribute paintings, Heir #2 one type of collectible, Heir #3 sculptures, and Heir #4 a different type of collectible. You are allowed to repeat object types upon moving — i.e. paintings could be in worlds 1 and 2. So, the bottom line is you need one collection of 16 skill/collectible related objects in each world.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #205 on: August 26, 2013, 01:05:22 PM »
Skill-related objects defined as in the Life States Dynasty?  That could work.

I still like the complete collections but I can see I'm in a minority here  :D.

Offline Shirin

• Watcher
« Reply #206 on: August 26, 2013, 01:13:20 PM »
*Thumbs up*

I approve of this, Metro. :)

Offline LenaLJ

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Challenge Board Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #207 on: August 26, 2013, 01:14:51 PM »
I would still rather have it be the collection objects because of the uniqueness.

Offline Snufflesxx

• Sherlockian
  • Watcher
« Reply #208 on: August 26, 2013, 01:17:39 PM »
*Thumbs up*

I approve of this, Metro. :)

I concur. This is more up my alley than collecting.  :)
** My Stories **

Danielle Haydis

« Reply #209 on: August 26, 2013, 01:53:28 PM »
Does it have to be skill collections? Could it also be collectibles, like Heir#1 will contribute four gems, Heir#2 will contribute 4 bugs, etc.

I would also like to ask a question, for clarification. Will the founders have to complete the requirements for bringing in an heir? I ask because 4 days seems like an awfully small amount of time to complete all of the requirements.

I'm so excited about this! This will be my first attempt at a dynasty.

anything