Author Topic: End of the Line Dynasty (4x4)  (Read 179129 times)

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
Re: End of the Line Dynasty: Plots and Plans (18 March)
« Reply #315 on: March 19, 2014, 08:28:38 PM »

Haha, I love him! His voice as both a kid and a teen are just both hilarious and authentic. I love the shot of every single seat in the living room being booby trapped, hehe! Hm, well the political branch would certainly provide him with a mock-respectable job and a corrupt way to make a buck on the side. Or have we already had a politician? Gosh, now I'm gonna have to scroll back through the generations and think about it.

Edit: Okay, Tabitha! She was in politics, right? But did she max it? Her official one was nectar maker, right?

Offline Rikki8528

• Occult
  • Sims 3 Fan
« Reply #316 on: March 20, 2014, 04:12:13 AM »
I think I know what Leo's career will be... Is it OK for me to post my guess?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #317 on: March 20, 2014, 03:53:45 PM »
Love the pirate duds!  And love the new name!  Can't wait to see what he decided to do.

Hello Leo, and best of luck in your new venture! I'm glad that he is going to continue with the pirate outfits, best outfit ever ha ha ha.

I had to have a pirate in Barnacle Bay.  I’ve been looking forward to Leo ever since the move – and he’s at least as much fun as expected  ;D.

Oooh I correctly guessed the new name and I have a guess about the career but I'll wait to see if I'm right! Curse you, cliffhanger!

Well, I suppose you would be more inclined than most to think of the name Leo :).

It wasn’t meant to be a cliffhanger.  In fact, I nearly ended the update with the birthday cake but carried on for a few hours to resolve the name choice.

Haha, I love him! His voice as both a kid and a teen are just both hilarious and authentic.

Thanks.  I try my best :).  In fact, Leo’s easy to write – he has so much personality.  Poor Ken was a bit of a nonentity.

I love the shot of every single seat in the living room being booby trapped, hehe!

I love rebellious Sims.  He just had to go for the uber prankster moodlet.  Simon also thought the whole thing was great fun but the rest weren’t so keen.

Hm, well the political branch would certainly provide him with a mock-respectable job and a corrupt way to make a buck on the side. Or have we already had a politician? Gosh, now I'm gonna have to scroll back through the generations and think about it.

Edit: Okay, Tabitha! She was in politics, right? But did she max it? Her official one was nectar maker, right?

You’re right.  I can’t remember exactly where Tabitha got to before she packed in politics but it was somewhere around the middle of the career.  Her unique maxed career was indeed self-employed nectar making.

I think I know what Leo's career will be... Is it OK for me to post my guess?

Yes, go ahead.  It really wasn’t meant to be a huge mystery  ???.

Offline Rikki8528

• Occult
  • Sims 3 Fan
« Reply #318 on: March 21, 2014, 03:11:13 AM »
Is it Private Investigator?

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #319 on: March 21, 2014, 12:37:46 PM »
No, Alex already maxed that career - although a Pirate Investigator would be a fun idea :).

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
Re: End of the Line Dynasty
« Reply #320 on: March 23, 2014, 11:23:26 AM »
Signs of Spring

“Hi, Tavares!  How’s life in Bridgeport?

“Yes, it’s been much the same here, although does look as though the weather’s brightening up finally.  It’s been such a miserable spring…  Is L- Maria there?”

“Hi, Emily.  I think you’re OK calling me Lou, you know.  I’m only ‘Maria Spain’ in public.  Well, unless someone’s tapping the phone.  In which case, ‘Hi, Nosey!  Haven’t you got anything more interesting to do?  Get a life!’”
Emily laughed.  “How’s the apartment?  A penthouse suite, I hear.”
“Only if you’re a really optimistic estate agent.  It’s the top-floor flat all right but I wouldn’t call it a penthouse.  It was a complete tip when we moved in.  Horrible green stuff growing on the windows, peeling paint, rubbish plumbing.  Hardly luxurious.”

“You?  Moaning about bad plumbing?  Just like old times.”
“Yeah, I thought I was long past the toilet-unblocking stage.  Although it’s probably been good for us to do some physical work for a change – we’ve enjoyed sorting out the mess.  It’s looking pretty good now.”

“Not exactly the rock’n’roll lifestyle.”
“No, not at all.  But that’s the point.  Escaping from all of that, at least for a while.  Who’d expect Louisa to be living in the unfashionable end of Bridgeport?  And the place is so full of celebrities and hopefuls trying to get the paparazzi’s attention that it’s pretty easy to be a nobody.  The makeover probably helps, too.”
“You had a makeover?”
“Yeah.  New clothes, new haircut…”
“But you’ve had that hairstyle forever.  What’s it like now?”
“Shorter.  I’ll send you a photo.  Tavares thinks it’s cute – but then he would.

“Oh, and I bought a keyboard.  You remember Will saying how learning to play the piano had changed the way he composed; even the way he thought about music?”

“Yes.”
“He’s right.  I’m already starting to have some ideas.  It’s hard, though, going from being able to play anything I want to being a complete beginner again.  I have to get out a guitar after a few hours of struggling with scales to remind myself that I really am a musician.”

“Lou, I’m so pleased you’re picking up your life again.  We were worried about you.”

“Yeah, well, you made me realise that I was being unfair to the rest of you.  In fact, I’m doing it again, aren’t I?  Talking about myself.  How are you?”
“We’re fine.  Now that things are quietening down with the orphanage, I’ve started painting again and Kid’s looking around for a new job.

“The kids are growing up: Davey’s the only one left at primary school.  He’s decided he wants to go to Smuggsworth, of all places, so Kid’s been tutoring him every evening.  Since Opal went to Fort Starch, they’ve all been reading school stories and talking about nothing but boarding schools.  Wilhelmina wants to transfer to LeFromage next term.  If they both get in, that’ll leave us with only Marabel at home…  Did I tell you about Marabel?”
“I remember she was all excited about a Goldbeard marrying into the family.”
“Coral, yes.  Marabel thought it was wonderful – took to calling me Auntie Em, on the grounds that we must be related somehow.  But then Coral got old and died so quickly.  The poor girl was devastated.”
“Do you want me to talk to her?”
“Yes, it might help.  She’s a fan of yours, you know.  And Deirdra had a word with Grim.  He’s promised that Marabel can meet Coral when this is all over.”
“Grim said that?  He must be getting soft in his old age.  That was nice of Deirdra, though…  How is she?”

“Pregnant.  The baby’s due in the autumn.”
“Oh, that’s great.  Will you pass on my congratulations when you see her?  I’d still feel a bit awkward just ringing her up.  And what about you?  I remember you talking about wanting little ones around again.”
“Well, the house does seem to be emptying… and, not a word to Kid, but I have tickets for a romantic weekend in Champs Les Sims next month.”

“Good luck!  I’ve been getting a bit broody myself.”
“Really?”
“Yeah, I think I’m ready for another child – but not quite yet.  It wouldn’t be fair to Sam.  I’ll wait until he’s back.”
“Lou!  You’re talking as though you believe in it.”
“Well yes, I think I do.  They’re getting so close now.  I’ve even started watching regularly again.  I love young Leo.  Real chip off the old block, he is.”

“That’s exactly what Kid said.  Oh, I nearly forgot.  I have a favour to ask you.  Could you have a word with your friend Maddy…?”

“Hi, Maddy.  It’s Lou.”
“Lou!  It’s been ages!  How are you?  And Tavares…?

“Isn’t it a glorious day?  So sunny!  It really feels as though summer's coming at last.”

“In Sunset Valley, maybe.  It’s trying its best here but it’s still quite grey.  The smog, I suppose.

“Anyway, I didn’t ring to chat about the weather.  Do you remember Donna Parr-Teague?”

“Donna…?”

“That pink girl you met at the playground in Sunlit Tides.  The ex-ghost.”
“Oh, you mean that day when…?”

“When I yelled at Deirdra and spoiled everyone’s holiday.  Yes.”
“You had reason.  Don’t be so hard on yourself.  But yes, I remember Donna.  Pink, pretty and brilliant with kids.”
“That’s the one.  I’m not sure whether you know that she grew up at a home that Emily – my great-grandmother – runs for orphaned ghost kids.  Well, she’s about to finish a teaching degree and she’s got a job at the school in Sunset Valley, assuming all goes well with her finals.  Emily asked me to ask you whether you could help find her somewhere to live – somewhere she could afford on a very junior teacher’s pay.”
“Well, I’ve noticed a couple of ‘To Let’ signs recently but I think one place would be too expensive and the other’s pretty run-down.  I’ll ask around.  Or, I know!  Why doesn’t she come and stay with us, at least to start with?  If she wants to, that is.  We’ve got loads of space…

“Have you been watching our descendants recently?  What do you think of Li- Leo…?”

Next chapter of main story
Next interlude

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #321 on: March 24, 2014, 02:21:10 PM »
Arresting Art

Leo spent the next few hours ‘improving’ the public buildings of Barnacle Bay, with inevitable consequences.

He tried flirting with the nice officer but she wasn’t having any of that.

“Sorry, Sunshine.  You may be cute but you’re also defacing public property.  You’re coming with me.”

“Really, officer, under other circumstances I’d be delighted to play with your handcuffs…”

Apparently, she’d heard that line before and wasn’t amused.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.  Not a bad idea, in fact.  Maybe he should buy one, once he was released from custody.

“Come on, Sunshine.  Into the car.”

He’d assumed she was taking him to the nick but, to his surprise, they drove off in the opposite direction.  Where were they going?

Oh no!

Driven home in disgrace like a kid caught out after curfew.  On the whole, he’d have preferred a prison cell.

“Look, Sunshine, I’m sure you’re a good lad really – and I owe your dad a favour or two.

“Why don’t you just stick to painting your own walls and try to stay out of trouble?  You won’t get off so lightly next time.”

Humiliating.

Reluctantly, he transferred his attentions to the outbuildings at home.  He’d show them.  OK, maybe the stuff he’d been painting around town hadn’t been that good but just wait.  They’d all want his decorating skills soon.  Probably even that police officer.  Well, she needn’t think he’d be applying his artistic talents to her house.

Fuelled by anger, he stayed outside painting until it was too dark to mix his colours accurately.  Straight after breakfast, he was out there again.

But not for long.  There were some really weird sounds coming from inside the building and when he looked through the window into the art studio, he saw his mother, obviously in agony.  The baby was coming!

He rushed into the room and helped her out to the car, although she still insisted on driving.  He’d heard of pregnancy hormones but this was ridiculous.  How could she concentrate?  He sat in the passenger seat and worried.  Could he grab the wheel if another contraction hit and she lost control?  Would they end up going over a cliff?  Had he put the lid back on that spray can?

Somehow, they managed to get there safely and Leo phoned his father, who arrived in time to see Timothy enter the world.  Then Dad insisted that none of them was in a fit state to drive and they should all go home by limo. 

Now how are we going to get Mum’s car back from the hospital?

Once Beth had recovered from the birth, Leo asked her to teach him to paint.  He had a feeling his clients would prefer someone with a conventional artistic training, however awesome his graffiti might be.  Not that he had any clients yet.  With the weekend and non-graduation, he was yet to start work officially.  Nothing wrong with getting a head start on the promotions, though: the higher his grade, the keener people would be to employ him – and to pay great wodges of cash for the privilege of having him come in and sneer at their furniture.

His tutoring session was interrupted when his mother had a birthday…

…and further interrupted while she went off to change out of the stupid hat.

Tim grew into a sickeningly sweet-natured toddler and Beth, naturally, wanted to spend more time with her younger son.

Leo considered asking his father for painting lessons but all those hours of school tutoring still rankled.  Instead, he concentrated on honing his street art skills.  People were starting to recognise his talent and City Hall had even commissioned a couple of murals.  He wasn’t exactly sure they’d meant Barnacle Boneyard when they’d said ‘a property of his choice’ but hey, they should have been more specific.  And the cemetery could certainly do with brightening up a bit.

Actually, he quite liked it there.  The other cemetery was even better.  The name was all wrong, though – dead men did tell tales.  Interesting ones.  Most of the ghosts were real pirates, from Barnacle Bay’s glory days.  And when they weren’t around, well, that gave him a chance to practise his other skills.

He had would-be clients ringing him up regularly now but he was playing hard to get.  Let them wait.  The more he refused their commissions, the more they’d want his terribly exclusive services.  Meanwhile, learning to paint was boosting his job performance.  His mother even let him use some of her precious canvases.  She found his view of the world fascinating.

So, it appeared, did other people.  An eccentric Chinese art collector got in touch.  He had a number of paintings by people who were famous in other fields and he knew of Leo’s reputation as a street artist and sought-after interior designer.  He’d like to add a Leo Gold original to his collection.

Next chapter

This is the first time I’ve played with the street art skill.  I was amazed by how quickly it builds: Leo reached level ten on his first full day of young adulthood and achieved his Street Credible lifetime wish a day or two later.

I think it may even beat handiness as an easy supermax.  It was great for occupying the paparazzi, too.  They just stood around watching him rack up his mural count and throwing tips into his jar.

Also, and completely irrelevantly, India was sent my first Blingaboo.  She’s had much more valuable celebrity gifts but I like him best.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
Re: End of the Line Dynasty: Arresting Art (24 March)
« Reply #322 on: March 24, 2014, 07:23:21 PM »

Whoah! Baby Tim got some deep blue eyes; they pop out a lot more on a "normal-color" sim. I like the update about the extended family, too. Lou's new do (heh, rhyming!) suits her quite well. Poor Leo. Some how, I think he needs to work on his timing a bit with those flirt lines.  ;)

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
Re: End of the Line Dynasty: Arresting Art (24 March)
« Reply #323 on: March 25, 2014, 03:18:33 PM »
I just read that so wrongly  :o - as in eyes literally popping out.  Eurgh!

Goopy's eye colour has persisted for a remarkably long time, although Tim will almost certainly be the last to get it.  Leo has random golden-brown eyes and (extremely minor spoiler alert) gen 12's are grey.

Poor Leo. Some how, I think he needs to work on his timing a bit with those flirt lines.  ;)

Well, evil, rebellious klepto + policewoman was probably doomed from the start  ;).

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #324 on: March 26, 2014, 04:32:37 PM »
Ticking the Boxes

With the painting duly delivered, Leo was free to do what he liked, which was generally pretty noisy.

Beth played chess and chatted to their fellow holidaymakers (Ken, as usual, had been far too busy to take any time off).  India and Odessa searched fruitlessly for adventures, retrieved the relics from the tombs India had explored on her previous visit and tried to get past the locked doors and giant boulders that were blocking the way to further treasures.

India’s advanced martial arts skills allowed her to enter the tomb under the Hot Springs and, as they’d planned back in Egypt, Odessa followed using her Eye of Horus.  They poked about below the Temple of Heaven, looking for the legendary axe that was said to be hidden somewhere in the labyrinth of tunnels, but were eventually forced to give up when every path led to a dead end.  Long before their visas had run out, they all returned home.

Leo had gone as far as he could in his career on his artistic talents alone; now he needed to start working for at least some of the clients he’d been stringing along.  To his dismay, the Health and Safety Department at City Hall had definite opinions about suitable work clothes.  A pirate outfit was not appropriate.  Was that an approved hard hat – and was it fastened securely under his chin?  Those swirling coat tails could cause an accident; the generous buttoned cuffs didn’t seem any too safe either.

Leo made a careful note of all their stipulations and came up with a work outfit that complied in every respect.

Hard hat?  Check.  Shorter jacket with tight, rolled-up sleeves?  Check.  He even threw in close-fitting trousers for free.  Of course, they hadn’t actually mentioned safety shoes…

He had quite a waiting list.  He spent a whole day wandering around town listening to requests, looking thoughtful, schmoozing and flirting judiciously and, “Hmm… maybe I’ll get back to you.”  All the while, of course, making note of any small but priceless items that just happened to be lying about.

Then he got down to work.  Nothing too strenuous: a teenage sanctuary here; a new gym there.  Two or three jobs a day and always staying over ‘to sort out the final details’.  His clients were so flattered that he’d put in hours of his own unpaid time to get their house just perfect that they never questioned the valuables went missing in his wake.

Not that he needed to steal, of course: the family were rich enough to buy anything they wanted.  It was the fun of the chase – and not getting caught.

Just before his adult birthday, a particularly splendid (if he said so himself) landscaping job gave him the final boost he needed.  He was a Dictator of Design.

While his older brother had been scheming his way up the architect career, Tim had been quietly and unfussily growing up.

Having achieved an ‘A’ at high school, he was ready for the cake that would take him into the adult world.  The family gathered around the table cheering…

…and Leo upstaged him.

A few days later, the mayor summoned Leo to City Hall to be formally acknowledged as Barnacle Bay’s greatest living architect.  (Barnacle Bay’s only living architect – but we’ll gloss over that.)  The spot was carefully chosen, right next to his first street art commission.  Leo would have preferred almost anywhere else: he’d rather forget about his early, untutored daubings.  Why hadn’t he cleaned it up and replaced it with something more sophisticated?

“Do you have any clever ideas for toothbrush holders?” muttered the mayor as she handed over the key to the city.  “Mine just ruins the whole bathroom ambience.  Umm… talk to you later?”  And she grabbed his hand, smiling cheesily for the photographers.

Leo had almost finished his requirements.  He just needed one more opportunity.  He kept hoping for a serious painting commission. Graffiti were all very well but, now that middle age was approaching (well, all right, now that he was well and truly over the hill) he’d prefer some acknowledgement of his artistic maturity.

Days passed.  Nothing.  Well, not unless you counted his agent (and when had he acquired her?) ringing up with photo opportunities, promotion deals and highly public charity events.  Didn’t the silly woman know how many thousands he’d donated to undermining charities?  Apart from Kleptos Anonymous, of course.  He had a carefully-concealed soft spot for that particular enterprise.

Then events pushed him into action.  One morning, Ken woke up first, as usual, and helped himself to breakfast from the fridge.  He didn’t get to eat it.

Even before they’d finished mourning, it was Beth’s turn to go all transparent and floaty.

Uncomfortably aware that his own elder birthday wasn’t that far off, Leo swallowed his pride and called his agent.  Yes, of course he’d be happy to promote Doo Peas.

On his way out of the office building, he made another decision.  It was time.

Next chapter

Leo took quite a lot longer than Emily Goole to reach the top of the Architectural Designer career.  At first I thought skill tutoring must be less effective than painting.  Then I realised I hadn’t spent any of his lifetime happiness points.  Oops!  (And this is why you shouldn’t play serious challenge games with flu, kiddies.)  Once he had an entrepreneurial mindset, he did much better.  On the plus side, the extra renovations he had to complete to reach level 10 did mean he got another career reward.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
Re: End of the Line Dynasty: Ticking the Boxes (26 March)
« Reply #325 on: March 26, 2014, 05:49:48 PM »
Goodbye Ken and Beth!  RIP.  Poor Leo... he can't get old!  Though... hm, Leo as a grizzled old pirate... I could see that.

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
« Reply #326 on: March 28, 2014, 03:38:45 PM »
Well I was dead wrong. I thought he was going to go into Art Appraisal. I suppose being able to go into people's houses when they're not home and steal their stuff works, too. He is really ridiculously dashing in his pirate outfit. Where did you get the hat? I have Barnacle BAy but I can't find it!
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By samoht04

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #327 on: March 28, 2014, 04:17:14 PM »
Well I was dead wrong. I thought he was going to go into Art Appraisal. I suppose being able to go into people's houses when they're not home and steal their stuff works, too. He is really ridiculously dashing in his pirate outfit. Where did you get the hat? I have Barnacle BAy but I can't find it!

It should be under the hair with accessories tab, at the very end, with any other store content hair. 

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
« Reply #328 on: March 28, 2014, 06:29:55 PM »

It's always kinda sweet when lovers die of old age on the same day.  :'(

Good to see that Leo is making full use of that klepto trait, but you'd think with a pattern of stealing from clients somebody would be bound to figure it out. Maybe that cute police woman, perhaps? Or maybe he prefers to take a genie for a wife? I'm curious to see who he'll end up with.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #329 on: March 29, 2014, 06:12:04 AM »
Goodbye Ken and Beth!  RIP.  Poor Leo... he can't get old!  Though... hm, Leo as a grizzled old pirate... I could see that..

Ken and Beth were a sweet couple (I still love the way they suddenly noticed each other romantically after living together as family all that time).  Their relationship didn't get as much screentime as it deserved but they were always flirting and kissing when left alone (well, unless they were playing video games  ::)).

Leo hasn't actually got old yet - he had his adult lifespan extended once he was no longer the active heir - so I don't know what he'll look like as an elder.  The 'grizzled old pirate' look sounds like quite a good one to go for.  Maybe he should grow his beard...

You weren't that far wrong  :-X.

I made him a klepto partly because it fitted his character, partly because stolen items may be a collection in the next town and I wanted to try out a few ideas in advance and partly for a reason that will become obvious in the next update.  He was always going to be an architect, so stealing from the newly-upgraded houses seemed like an opportunity he wouldn't be able to resist :).

I love him as a pirate: the look really suits his face shape.  I'm pretty sure the hat is part of the basic Barnacle Bay stuff, because Lewis-Charlie Darwin wears it.  I don't think it's available for every outfit but it should be there for everyday and formal.  As Shewolf says, probably somewhere near the end - although some of my store content seems to get mixed in with the base game and expansion stuff, so it might be worth checking further up.

It's always kinda sweet when lovers die of old age on the same day.  :'(

That's been happening remarkably often in this dynasty, almost as though there's some game mechanic involved, although it's probably just chance.  I suppose the shorter lifespan's going to make it more likely as well.  But all of the really adorable couples, from Nicholas and Cassidy onwards, seem to have been dying within hours of each other, unless I've been deliberately extending the life of one of them.

Good to see that Leo is making full use of that klepto trait, but you'd think with a pattern of stealing from clients somebody would be bound to figure it out. Maybe that cute police woman, perhaps? Or maybe he prefers to take a genie for a wife? I'm curious to see who he'll end up with.

No-one ever accused unwatched Sims of being clever ;).

His wife's identity will be revealed in the next chapter (hopefully, later today).

anything