Author Topic: Game keeps freezing  (Read 4367 times)

Offline acerthorn

• Llama Wrangler
Game keeps freezing
« on: April 16, 2016, 09:42:10 AM »
My game has recently started freezing at random times ... and doing so often.

Unlike most feezes, though, this usually subsides after about 30 seconds, so I don't have to close the game.  However, it's really annoying when it happens, especially when it keeps on happening!

How do I get it to stop?

EDIT: Just in case I wasn't clear, I feel I should clarify: This is happening all the time! Like ... I can spend about ten seconds playing the game before it takes another 30 seconds to freeze on me!

I doubt it's my mods.  I have quite a few mods, but the game still takes up less than 1.5GB in my task manager.

Offline KRae

• Watcher
Re: Game keeps freezing
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 10:36:47 AM »
Make sure your sims aren't carrying a lot in their inventory (I've had particular trouble with scrap and kelp). This causes temporary freezes for me.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 01:50:50 PM »
Like KRae mentioned, a full inventory can cause a lot of freezing.

Here's a list of troubleshooting tips that may help.

Tips to Relieve Freezing and/or Game Lag
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=29313.msg426179#msg426179
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline acerthorn

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 06:33:56 PM »
Thank you for suggesting that I clear my cache. But I don't think that will work.

See ... when I pull up my task manager, I notice that this game actually taking up about 98% of my CPU's power. So, I doubt it's simply the cache.

What's really baffling about this is that I'm supposed to only need a single core, 1.6GHz processor to play this game. I have a dual-core 3.0GHz processor. So, why is this game maxing out my CPU?

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 08:08:20 PM »
When the game originally came out, it did only require a 1.6 GHz single core processor. For XP 32-bit and base game only. Since then with the patches and other add-ons released, the game's requirements have gone up. It's now recommended to have a dual-core 2.4 GHz or better to run the game. This is especially true if you are using Vista or higher, regardless of whether it's 32-bit or 64-bit.

We don't know what your system specs are, but while you may have a processor that can play the game, there may be other factors that are causing the problems. For instance, one of your mods may be doing cleanup that freezes the game temporarily. Nraas Overwatch can do this around midnight and around 4-5 am every Sim day. Also, large gardens can cause the game to temporarily freeze around 5 am game time for calculating plant updates.

Memory usage is about right. We've seen games take up to 2.5 - 3 GB memory while running, especially on 64-bit systems where the game can take up to 3.5 GB while running. Part of this is due to the large amount of resources the game takes, and part is due to the game being a 32-bit application. Allocated memory can fill up requiring swapping to the hard drive which could cause some lagging.

In short, the longer you play the game, the more "cruft" builds up in your save game file and the more resources the game needs to process the information. Adding expansions, stuff packs, store items, mods, etc. adds to the amount of resources required. As an experiment, try running the game with a brand new Sims 3 folder aka Sims 3 Factory Reset (What & Howto) (backup your existing folder first!) and see if the game runs better without the "extras".
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

anything