Author Topic: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment [Complete]  (Read 323533 times)

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
Re: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment: Protect the Shell
« Reply #285 on: January 12, 2014, 04:37:39 PM »

Aww!  :'( I can't explain quite why, but daughter as shell is just a great metaphor. Well, I'm sure Noten will take good care of her.

Also, "Rhoxi of the Dojos": I love it! I think I need to edit my forum profile now!  ;D

Offline Kavey

• Llama Wrangler
Re: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment: Protect the Shell
« Reply #286 on: January 12, 2014, 07:51:13 PM »
 :o I... I don't even...  :'( Its so dramatic... Oh, how I hate/love distopias! Keep up the good work Livve.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
Re: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment: The Crazy Idea
« Reply #287 on: January 16, 2014, 04:15:49 PM »
Oh no oh no . . . he can't die! But he did . . . Poor Palmira. There's so much going on and like . . . I just . . . More please?  ;)

Noten is so sweet! Can I just say that? I'm going to say it again, he is so sweet.  :)

Edited to add more substance: I didn't mind the text. I felt like it was balanced between the two.
I'll gladly make this next update for you, hopefully you'll enjoy Noten even more afterwards. :)
I'm very glad you don't mind the text. I've explained earlier that I have trouble with all-text stuff. I just can't focus, and I can't imagine I'm the only one so I try really hard to break up my larger-text-based areas. I just struggle with depicting the scenes of violence or of other things that Sims really just can't do so it's much easier to just describe that... as well as it's against forum rules I'm pretty sure so I've been doing my best to keep myself on the darker side of Noten's reality but not going too far.

I just read this from star to finish.  You are an excellent writer. Bookmarked
Thank you kindly! I appreciate that! :) Feel free to comment with any questions or ideas. I always love hearing what my readers would like to see or think of my story. :)

Aww!  :'( I can't explain quite why, but daughter as shell is just a great metaphor. Well, I'm sure Noten will take good care of her.

Also, "Rhoxi of the Dojos": I love it! I think I need to edit my forum profile now!  ;D
I always imagined that if he did start the revolution it would be for his daughter to grow up happy, so it made the most sense to make her his highest priority. Noten will always do the best he can, I'm just excited to throw up this next chapter. It will be nice to write about something happy for a change of pace. :)
Yes! Now every time I see you comment on something I'll be thinking of that, haha.  8)

:o I... I don't even...  :'( Its so dramatic... Oh, how I hate/love distopias! Keep up the good work Livve.
Dystopias are one of my favorite genres, but this is really just leading up to the story I really want to tell. I'm so excited for Noten's children, you have no idea.

The Crazy Idea
Palmira wouldn't leave Noten's room for several weeks. She barely ate, and she often was caught laying in bed - too tired to cry but too upset to sleep. The depression she had fallen in had consumed her.

It had been going on two weeks when Noten received a knock at the door. Noten cautiously opened, examining the area from left to right but saw nothing. There was a box sitting on the "Welcome" mat. Noten picked it up cautiously. It would cold, whatever it was. He peaked the box open and saw a cake. A real cake.
He hadn't had real food in months. His mouth watered when he read the writing on it. "Happy Birthday, Palmira."
He froze. Someone else knew she was alive. From the brush in the distance Noten could see a man with a hat and sunglasses on watching him. The man gave a nod, waving a shell in the air before he vanished.
For some reason, the shell gave Noten some hope. He knocked on the door to his room, now Palmira's, timidly. "Palmira." He whispered. "I have something for you. I think it's best you come out and look."
Expecting resistance, Noten was genuinely surprised when Palmira came out of the room and straightened herself. She inhaled deeply. "What is it?" She asked quietly.
"A birthday cake." Noten replied. "For you." He handed her the box. Palmira opened the box up with sadness in her eyes.
"They all remembered..." She said quietly.
"Happy Birthday." Noten whispered. "Now we should definitely break this cake out. It's been way too long since either of us has had some good food." Noten teased and for once, Palmira actually smiled.
They set up the cake and Palmira even pretended there were candles on it.

She blew out her pretend candles and aged into an incredibly beautiful young woman.

She was so thin that most of her teenage clothing still fit perfectly. Noten encouraged her to have several pieces of cake before he put it away in their storage.

After cleaning up, Palmira wandered over to Noten, who had been sitting on the couch.

"I wonder how they knew." She whispered. There was a depression that was still looming in her eyes.
"I get the feeling your father had planned for this." He said calmly. "The resistance knows you're still alive, and is ready to follow you to the ends of the earth, much like your father."
Palmira was quiet. "I never asked for this."

"Palmira, it's your responsibility now. This is the legacy your father left you." Noten said sternly.
Palmira stood up quickly. "I can't take this." She whispered. She bolted out the door and out into the brush.
"Palmira?! Palmira!" Noten jumped up quickly and ran out after her.
He found her standing at the edge of the water, her hands covered her face and her shoulders shuddered with sobs.

She sensed Noten behind her and she straightened, wiping her eyes. "I've never felt more alone in my life." She whispered, her breath catching in her throat.

Noten furrowed his brow. "You're not alone." He took a step closer to her.
She turned slowly to look at him. "I don't know what I'm doing, Noten." Anguish in her voice. "I can try to lead these people, but I have no idea what I'm doing. I would only lead them to doom. I've never been like my father. I'm just his daughter, his ordinary, nothing-special daughter."

Noten looked at her intensely. "You've never been ordinary to me." His voice was gruff, and he didn't wait for a response before he grabbed her arms and pulled her in to an intense kiss.

When he let her go he held her at arms length. "You've always been the person that's given me hope. The reason I haven't jumped off the bandwagon yet or tried to go home is because of you. Your father knew he couldn't continue leading for much longer because he was losing hope, but you never did. You were his reason as you are mine now." His voice came out quickly and shakily, as though he only had a short time to express himself.

Palmira yanked Noten closer to her and kissed him back again. They continued their game of kissing each other until they were light-headed and breathing hard.

Silently they sat down next to each other on the sands, hand over hand.
"Do you mean all that?" Palmira said, breaking the silence.
"I wouldn't have said it if I didn't."

"Then can I ask you something crazy?"
Noten looked at her, she had a suspicious smile. "I suppose so." He said.
Palmira leaned in to him cupping her hand up to his ear.

"Let's get married."
At first Noten was taken by surprise, but a happy grin hit his face.
"We just kissed about an hour ago and you want to get married?" He teased.

Palmira smiled at him, but she was very serious. "I always wanted the family life." She said quietly. "Having a husband, being a mom of several kids. It's what I always dreamed of as a kid. I dreamed of my wedding day - it was always a big affair." She trailed off. "Marriage isn't allowed anymore unless the government makes the match themselves, but I want to be my own person. I want to say who I marry, and that person is you."
Noten nodded.
Palmira continued, "even as a kid I had a crush on you. I kept hoping as I grew older you might notice me. You were supposed to be the guy who came in and saved the day, like a knight on his steed." Noten couldn't help but laugh at that one, he reminded himself of the times as a kid when he would be the prince, fighting off his brother the dragon to save the princess. Glitch always played such a convincing princess. Noten let out more laughter remembering Glitch in the princess hat. Palmira looked at him curiously. "What?" She said defensively.
"Nothing." Noten grinned. "My brother and I used to play 'Save the Princess' when we were little. I was always the prince. I was just remembering those moments, that's all." He said sheepishly. Palmira smiled, and both got quiet for a little.
Noten finally broke the silence. "Ok." He said softly. "Let's get married."

Palmira jumped up immediately. "You mean it?" She asked quickly.
"Absolutely. Let's get married." Noten repeated the phrase, hoping it would help him solidify it in his mind.
Palmira squealed like a teenage girl before heading towards the brush he once met her in as a child. "Wait right there!" She hollered at him.

Noten watched her disappear into the brush completely confused. "What are you doing?" He called at her.
He could hear her fussing with something. She made some grunting noises and Noten took a few steps forward. "Palmira? What's going on?"
"Nothing! Stay right there!" She called out to him. "When I was a kid, I went digging through the trash behind this old building and I found this dress once. It looked like a torn up rag but as a kid I thought it would be a great wedding dress." There was a crashing sound of sticks breaking and leaves rustling. "Ouch-" Palmira whispered loudly before going back to her story. "I would pretend I was getting married and I would put it on. I kept it out here to avoid the searches we would get often on the main island." She paused. "Ah-ha! It actually fits!" She laughed triumphantly.
"Are you ok back there?" Noten tried to stifle a laugh.
Palmira came out from the brush and breathed a sigh of relief. "Uh huh." She said, a huge grin started to spread across her face as Noten realized he was gaping at her.

He smiled sheepishly. "Sorry."
"No, no need to apologize." Palmira said with a devious grin. "I don't mind that my husband might stare at me. I would hope for it, actually."
Noten actually found himself grinning. He would soon have a woman to call a wife. "Are you wearing makeup?" He asked, completely curious.

"Oh watcher no! Do you know how hard it would be to find makeup around here?" She laughed. "No, I just used some tips of the trade."
"What?"
"If you bite your lips and smack your cheeks it gives them both a more rosier color." She said, feeling satisfied that she did such a good job. Her hair was swept over and the hairband she usually wore was now a bracelet around her thin wrist. "It's not much, but it's good enough for me." She smiled.
"Well if we're doing this, we're doing it right." Noten smiled, he dropped to one knee.
"I don't have a ring, or anything else formal, for that matter, but Palmira Medina... will you marry me?"

Palmira pulled him off the ground and embraced him. "Oh, gee, I don't know... I have to think about this." She teased.
He pulled her into a kiss. "Oh you have to think about it huh? How about now?" He kissed her. "Now?" He kissed her a second time. "Am I changing your mind boss?"

Palmira laughed loudly and fully, and Noten smiled, enjoying the sound of it.
Instead of rings, they exchanged shells. They probably could never afford a ring for each other, nor get away with an actual marriage, but the exchange they did was meaningful to them, and that's all that mattered.

Noten and Palmira went back to the house to celebrate in a way that only couples can.

They didn't have much, but they did have each other and that was enough for them.
Noten and Palmira Reaper.

Offline SadieHamming

• Immortal
  • Call me Sadie :)
« Reply #288 on: January 16, 2014, 05:23:53 PM »
I'll gladly make this next update for you, hopefully you'll enjoy Noten even more afterwards. :)
I'm very glad you don't mind the text. I've explained earlier that I have trouble with all-text stuff. I just can't focus, and I can't imagine I'm the only one so I try really hard to break up my larger-text-based areas. I just struggle with depicting the scenes of violence or of other things that Sims really just can't do so it's much easier to just describe that... as well as it's against forum rules I'm pretty sure so I've been doing my best to keep myself on the darker side of Noten's reality but not going too far.
*Squeal* Oh my gosh! That was so sweet! I definitely like Noten even more now. I can have trouble with blocks of text, and text heavy stuff too, but the way you format it makes it easier for me to understand. I think you're doing a great job depicting Noten's reality. It's a scary place, and we as readers can come to our own conclusion, but I think your writing shows us that without going too far.

Congrats to the couple! I knew they were going to end up together! Well, at least I really, really hoped  :) Great chapter! And I love the title.

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
« Reply #289 on: January 16, 2014, 07:19:55 PM »

Goodness, Palmira is just a knock-out! That hair looks great on her, too. They are gonna make some gorgeous nooboos, I bet. Always nice to see some light after all the darkness. Now to just overthrow that evil government!

Offline Serenity S.

• Occult
  • Flea market shopper in 3rd generation.
« Reply #290 on: January 17, 2014, 03:56:16 AM »
Congratulations to Noten and Palmira for getting married!

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
Re: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment: Right-Hand Man and Complications
« Reply #291 on: January 17, 2014, 03:17:00 PM »
*Squeal* Oh my gosh! That was so sweet! I definitely like Noten even more now. I can have trouble with blocks of text, and text heavy stuff too, but the way you format it makes it easier for me to understand. I think you're doing a great job depicting Noten's reality. It's a scary place, and we as readers can come to our own conclusion, but I think your writing shows us that without going too far.

Congrats to the couple! I knew they were going to end up together! Well, at least I really, really hoped  :) Great chapter! And I love the title.
Noten and Palmira are one of my favorite couples to play, actually. I got their inspiration from my own family - my brother and his wife, actually. My brother has been struggling in this economy. He's been looking for work and is working at a less-than-satisfactory job while his wife is still pushing through school. He's been unemployed off and on and struggles with contract work (as a biologist, I'm genuinely surprised at this, but it just shows how hard the economy is on everyone), but even with all the hardships and the cramped apartment for he, his wife and dog they are by far the happiest couple I know. They are just so giggly and happy, they enjoy every bit of time they get together and they just enjoy their lives and make the best of everything. It always makes me smile to think of how hard it must be to continue to push through as I struggle to find work, but they make it look so easy. They're just happy, and it's possibly the most contagious thing I've ever felt. I wanted to use that in my characters, and Palmira and Noten seemed like the perfect couple - they don't have anything except each other but that's more than enough for them.

Goodness, Palmira is just a knock-out! That hair looks great on her, too. They are gonna make some gorgeous nooboos, I bet. Always nice to see some light after all the darkness. Now to just overthrow that evil government!
I know! She was the obvious choice after I took a look at her in Create-A-Sim! I'm excited for those nooboos, it's going to be so awesome. :) Overthrowing the government won't be that easy, though... and that's going to be tricky to write, but hopefully it'll work out. I'm just taking it as it comes.

Congratulations to Noten and Palmira for getting married!
They're such a sweet couple. I'm just as excited as everyone else for their kids. :D

Sorry in advance, this chapter doesn't have many pictures... I fussed over placements and everything but finally just gave up. Bear with me, I know text isn't as good as seeing things, but hopefully I can break it up to make it flow nicely.
Right-Hand Man and Complications
The feelings Noten felt as he woke up with Palmira in his arms were indescribable. He was awake long before she was, so he spent his time brushing strands of hair away from her face tenderly as he watched her. There was something peaceful about being around her that made him feel invincible. Even though his life had been hell since he had gotten here, Palmira reminded him that this place is still his paradise. Not because of the sands or the neverending ocean... but because she was there.

After Palmira awoke, they sat down to the perfect breakfast of birthday cake in the morning in honor of their marriage. Noten wasn't as hungry as Palmira, so he mainly gave her his slice. Nothing was harder for him to watch than seeing how much she could eat... how hungry she was. Noten felt more obligated every day to scavenge for better food for her. He liked being able to see her eat well and once the cake ran out he worried about how he would continue to let her eat well.
Palmira started to almost laugh as she stuffed another large bite into her mouth. She swallowed it down, "you, my dear, have quite the habit of staring."
Noten shook his head quickly and smiled. "Sorry, just lost in thought."
"Oh what, you find my eating appealing? I didn't pin you down as that kind of person!" She teased.
Noten's face flushed, "no, just worried about what we'll do for food after we go through this cake." Palmira's face got more serious now that she understood. She nodded, picked up both of their dishes and put them in the sink.
"We're just going to have to take this a day at a time." She said as she rubbed them clean with water. The water pressure had been going down these past few months. Palmira grimaced. "Looks like they're going to be shutting the water off for everyone soon." She said gravely.
Noten was tired of hearing all of the crummy things in the world, he stood up and wrapped his arms around his new bride. "Then why don't we go enjoy the shower while we still have one?"

She smiled widely. "I'll meet you there!" She raced ahead of him into their bedroom and out of sight.

Noten stepped out of the bedroom and jumped back as there was a stranger in the living room.

He was an older gentleman, Noten vaguely remembered him waving from the bushes the day they had Palmira's birthday.
"Good afternoon, Noten." The man said calmly.
"Palmira?" Noten called back to her, she was still towel-drying her hair.
"What is it sweet-Oh! Ruben!" She ran over and embraced the older man.

"My, my... little Palmira... all grown up. Your father would be so proud." He said softly to her. "I remember like it was yesterday when that man struggled to figure out how to change your diapers. Had to call my wife for help every other night because he thought you were sick because you wouldn't go to sleep right away." The man - Ruben - chuckled.
"What brings you here?" Palmira said, ushering him to the couch.
"I just wanted to tell you happy birthday and to meet this young gent who has been looking after our dear Palmira."
Palmira beamed. "Actually," she started with a grin. "Noten is my husband now."
"My goodness." The mans eyes reflected shock, he then settled into a mischievous grin. "You two wasted no time at all I see. Did this man pressure you into this?"
Noten jumped a little. "Of course not! She asked me!" He said quickly to defend himself.
Ruben laughed heartily. "Of course she did! You're just like my wife." He leaned over to pat Palmira on the arm. "Strong willed and knows what she wants." He paused. "Anyways, I just came here to ask if you would be willing to discuss some plans with me. I understand the loss of your father was hard on you, and I encouraged everyone to keep their distance while you mourned; now you seem to be cheerier, so I was hoping you might be interested in helping."
Palmira's eyes went wide. "I don't know if I can help much... I didn't really know what my father did that was so helpful."
Ruben smiled gently, "it's ok, I was thinking we'd get your feet wet with some smaller activities first until you felt more confident in your leadership skills. We running low on medical supplies on the west side of the mainland. My wife knows there's a shipment coming for the wealthier classes on the east side. We just need to smuggle it in."
Palmira nodded. "I think I can help with that."
"That's the spirit!" Ruben boomed. "You too Noten, now come over here and look at these charts! The shipment will be here in a month!"

The shipment was due to arrive any day now, but Noten had lost his concern with that. Palmira was growing very, very sick. Her face was sunken in and she barely had the strength to stand. She went through waves of very serious dizziness along with being unable to perform basic tasks. She laid in bed most of the days, unable to keep any food down.
He was about ready to call Ruben to assign the shipment to someone else when Palmira came out of the room. Her eyes were very sunken in and she tried hard to smile at him. "I'm ready." She said. She took a large drink of water, steadied herself and left for the door.
"Woah, slow down!" He grabbed her quickly, she was so much thinner - he didn't think it was possible for her to get any thinner. "I don't think this is a good idea."
"I'm fine." She reached up and held his face in her hands. "Noten, I have to do this." She said softly.
Noten's resolve was breaking.
"Please?" She whispered. She hugged him tightly.
"Fine, but if you need to stop... for any reason at all... you tell me." He said, kicking himself for caving.
Palmira just smiled at him and they left in the rundown sailboat they borrowed from another resister.
They snuck onto the cargo of the shipment and dug through the boxes. They couldn't take everything, they just needed to skim the tops. So long as there were plenty left in the boxes it would be like nothing was missing. Noten took to shoving bandages and painkillers into his vest. Palmira went for the stitches and cold medications. They were gathering up there things when Palmira spotted a box on the top of the pile marked "Flu Shots."
"Noten!" She whispered as she hit in gently. "Look!"
"Palmira, we can't take those... one won't be enough for everyone and if we take the whole thing... we'll have a manhunt looking for us."
"I'm not going to take many..." She said as she climbed up the boxes. Noten could hear the sound of footprints coming.
"Palmira, we have to go! Leave it!"
"No... people... need... those shots!" She said as she reached for it.
Noten saw the light go on outside from under the door. He sighed hard.
"Got it!" She said. Noten half tackled her behind the boxes as the door swung open.
"See anything in there?"
"No sir." The officer said to someone at the end of the hall.
"Then what was it?"
"Just the mice, sir." The soldier said defeatedly.
"That's right. Teach you for waking me up in the middle of the night about 'smugglers.'" You could almost hear a grimace in the other man's voice. Noten put his hand over Palmira's mouth as he held her down. She was uncomfortable and him laying on top of her was causing her to groan softly.
The door swung shut and both of them heaved a sigh of relief. "It's time to go." Noten said sternly. Palmira only nodded.
They took all of the supplies - including a few of the treasured flu-shots back to their home where it would be picked up the next day. Palmira was too exhausted from all of the excitement that she immediately went to bed upon returning home while Noten stayed up to take inventory.
The next day Ruben arrived, Palmira was still in bed and Noten greeted him kindly.
"Come in, come in!" Noten ushered him quickly.
They both sat down and reviewed their findings. Ruben was smiling widely at him. "This is so much... it's incredible... is that..."
He picked up the vial with the flu-shot in it.
"Palmira insisted we grab a few of those, we nearly got blown for it, actually." Even though he seemed worried about being blown, there was mostly pride in his voice.
They continued to pack the medications up tightly in Ruben's clothing, he had his wife, Mylee, sew in a few extra hidden pockets for him to store things in. They sat for a minute when Palmira stumbled out of the bedroom.

"Noten... I don't..." She said softly, she leaned forward to stabilize herself on the table but missed. She collapsed.

Both men jumped up immediately. "Palmira?!" Noten grabbed a hold of her and hoisted her up. He looked at Ruben helplessly.
"We need to get her back to my wife." He spat out quickly. "Let's go." He grabbed his jacket and headed for the door with Noten coming slowly behind. "Stay behind me, and I'll motion if it's safe for you to go!"
Noten nodded, feeling numb. Palmira was limp in his arms.

Never in all of his life had he felt so helpless.
Ruben lived on the south-western part of the main land. It was still well-put together and very beautiful and normally Noten would've loved to see it, but now he just struggled to not lose control of his emotions. Noten rushed Palmira into their houseboat and put her down on the couch. The insides looked the same as what he was used to seeing, which relieved him in a way. An older woman joined them, she looked at Palmira who was unconscious on her couch before motioning both men. "Leave, now." She said sternly.

Noten started to protest but Ruben grabbed his arm and pulled him out onto the deck.
"Let her do her work. She was once a very skilled nurse, she knows what she's doing." He tried to comfort him.

It felt like hours before Mylee stepped out onto the deck. She motioned for Noten. "I want to speak to you alone." She spoke gravely.

Noten felt his heart drop. "Is she ok? Tell me what's going on!" Words were spilling from his mouth, but the woman only grabbed Noten around his waist and ushered him into the bathroom off the main room where Palmira was laying still.
Noten's eyes started to water. "What's going on?" He whispered.

"Calm down lad." She said softly. "Palmira is ok."
Noten exhaled a heavy sigh of relief. "Oh thank-"
Mylee held up a hand to silence him. "There's something you should know."
"What is it?" Noten's heart was on a rollercoaster, it was a month ago they were just married and now she was ill? Terminal? He had too many questions.
"She's pregnant." Mylee said with sadness in her voice.
"Wait... so... she's just..."
"Having a very hard time adjusting to the child within her? Yes."
"I'm going to be a dad?" Noten's eyes were wide with happiness. Mylee didn't reflect that happiness.
"I wouldn't recommend continuing this pregnancy." She said softly. Noten's eyes sunk.

"Is something wrong?"
"She's far too malnourished, I fear for complications with this pregnancy would wind up taking both of their lives."
Noten felt his world crumbling. "She's not going to give up on this pregnancy if she knows..." Noten mumbled. "She's wanted kids her whole life, she's not going to just..." He felt numb. Palmira wouldn't let go of this kid even if it meant she wouldn't get to see it grown.
Mylee sighed softly. "Let's try to talk to her about it before we come to conclusions without her, ok?" She said, trying to lighten her voice. "We just need to help her understand that she's in a fragile state."

Noten nodded and walked out of the bathroom to where Palmira was finally waking up.
She groaned softly as she stretched herself. "Noten?" She called for him. He felt a relief washing over him at the sound of her voice. He ran to sit by her side.

"I was so worried..." He started to feel his eyes tearing up.
"I'm sorry." She whispered to him. "Where am I?" She asked looking around slowly.
"Ruben's house. We took you here so Mylee could look you over.
"Oh, I see." She breathed out heavily. "What's wrong with me?" She said putting a hand to her head.

Noten shared a look with Mylee before exhaling. "Well, sweetheart... you're pregnant." He said, trying hard not to let sadness seep into his voice.
Palmira's face lit up. "Really?" She touched her stomach tenderly. "You're a little trouble-maker then, aren't you?" She teased as she rubbed her stomach. "Mommy's been hoping for something like you to come along." She said softly before looking back at Noten and seeing the sadness in his eyes. "What's wrong Noten? Is our baby sick?" She looked at Mylee for answers.
Noten continued. "Mylee suggests that we don't carry out this pregnancy." He felt his throat getting tighter.
Palmira looked back and forth at them quickly, "w-what?" She sat up taller. "No... no that's not happening." She hugged her stomach. "Is the baby ok?" She asked.
Mylee spoke up. "Yes, but you aren't. You're not healthy enough to bear a child, dear. You're malnourished and very fragile. We would have to act very quickly to get you up to a passable health to bear your child and have you both survive."
Palmira's face became determined. "Then that's what we'll do." She said sternly. 

Noten closed his eyes hard. "Please, Palmira can you..."
"No!" She raised her voice. "This is not up for debate. Tell us what we need to do to make me healthy enough." Palmira demanded, no softness in her voice anymore.
Mylee sighed. "I had a feeling you would say that."

"Alright, listen closely." Mylee continued. "We have a safe house way off the coast. We found a small island that no one had seemed to visit. I've been planting food there and keeping it as our way to feed the hungry. We've built a small house there, nothing special... but you would be safe there. The garden there is open for you to make your meals with..." She paused and looked at Noten. "And you would need to cook your meals. Three of them for her. Every day with fruit in between. We need to get her vitamins up and without pre-natals we're going to have to work with what we've got."
Palmira nodded fiercely, taking in every word.
"Palmira, you are going to have to eat every bit of those meals. Every. Bit. Even when you aren't hungry or don't think you can. It's not just for you that you're eating anymore, you're eating for two now." Mylee smiled softly as Palmira touched her stomach again. "Pregnancy is an easy thing for most women. They can home birth by themselves practically. I will be visiting you every day to make sure you're health is improving, and I will serve as a midwife for the birth. I will not let you give birth alone, we need to be prepared for anything, ok?" Palmira nodded instantly while Noten hesitated. Anything for him meant losing his wife, losing everything. There was no way he could be "prepared" for that.
Palmira's face paled suddenly. "Oh watcher." She stood up quickly. "I'm going to be sick." She ran for the bathroom immediately. Mylee smiled softly.
"Ah, the joys of pregnancy." She chuckled. "Wait right here Noten, I have something for her." She walked up the stairs and was gone for a few minutes.

Palmira, after vomiting up her breakfast, emerged and sat back down by Noten. Mylee came back and handed her a bag of clothing. "You're going to need this." Palmira pulled a few articles out and wrinkled her nose. "I know the patterns aren't high-fashion, but your clothing is much too small for your expanding belly." She smiled. "You'll thank me later for that." She waved the both of them off. "Ruben will come by tonight to move you to the island, so pack your things!" She called out.
Palmira waved back happily. Her mood had severely improved, but Noten's had only become more grave. They got home and Noten sat numbly on the couch petting Bear.
Palmira emerged wearing baggier clothing. "So, am I still pretty even when wearing pregnancy clothes?" She asked in a teasing voice. Noten could hardly muster up a smile, but he did.

"Of course you do." He said quietly. Palmira embraced him, happiness beaming from her.
"I'm so happy! We're finally going to start our family!" She released him and ran back into the bedroom to start to pack their few things up.
Noten wasn't as enthusiastic. He felt like his body was made of stone. Every step forward he took felt like a step closer to losing her.
And he would never forgive himself if he did.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline SadieHamming

• Immortal
« Reply #292 on: January 17, 2014, 04:52:40 PM »
Noten and Palmira are one of my favorite couples to play, actually. I got their inspiration from my own family - my brother and his wife, actually. My brother has been struggling in this economy. He's been looking for work and is working at a less-than-satisfactory job while his wife is still pushing through school. He's been unemployed off and on and struggles with contract work (as a biologist, I'm genuinely surprised at this, but it just shows how hard the economy is on everyone), but even with all the hardships and the cramped apartment for he, his wife and dog they are by far the happiest couple I know. They are just so giggly and happy, they enjoy every bit of time they get together and they just enjoy their lives and make the best of everything. It always makes me smile to think of how hard it must be to continue to push through as I struggle to find work, but they make it look so easy. They're just happy, and it's possibly the most contagious thing I've ever felt. I wanted to use that in my characters, and Palmira and Noten seemed like the perfect couple - they don't have anything except each other but that's more than enough for them.
Thank you for sharing that LivvieLove. I love hearing stories about couples like that, who have each other even if they don't have anything else, and they're still happy. You can just feel their love.

Oh no . . . Palmira . . . While I am longing to see their adorable nooboo, I would never want Noten to lose Palmira. I know she's going to do everything she can for the baby, as is Noten. I love how you make your story realistic, and address factors that would come up in a world like that, without it going as far to be disturbing. If that makes sense. Again, I love your titles for the chapters! I always scroll back up to see what the title was after I finish, to find that it fits the chapter so well!

Offline Kavey

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #293 on: January 18, 2014, 02:30:53 PM »
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear... Poor Palmira! That nooboo is really a mischeivious one, I hope the girl will pull through. Noten will be a great dad, if everything goes as planned. I'm so excited!  ;D

Offline Mizzilee

• Townie
  • Mistress of Pumpkins
« Reply #294 on: January 22, 2014, 11:20:03 AM »
Boy, I missed a lot! So many emotions surging inside me right now. Poor Palmira on every front! First her dad, now this baby. But at least they'll be able to keep her healthy...right? Right? Unless you're going to just, you know, run a stake through my heart and let Palmira die in childbirth.

This story is so in-depth and thorough. Even without the screencaps it was easy to follow and I was completely enthralled. I was paying more attention to it than my Native American History lecture (Bad I know). Can't wait for more, and I can't wait to see this nooboo! And hoping Noten doesn't have to care for it on his own.
"In this town we call home, everyone hail to the pumpkin song"

Offline rodeo199

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #295 on: January 22, 2014, 11:58:14 AM »
Oh no!! Poor Palmira! First her dad dies, then she might die along with her baby. I really hope she gets through it alright.
Well good thing she won't kill off main characters...right...hang on a minute...Demi...

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
Re: Reaper's Genetic Legacy Experiment: Pride and Selfishness
« Reply #296 on: January 22, 2014, 04:17:21 PM »
Thank you for sharing that LivvieLove. I love hearing stories about couples like that, who have each other even if they don't have anything else, and they're still happy. You can just feel their love.

Oh no . . . Palmira . . . While I am longing to see their adorable nooboo, I would never want Noten to lose Palmira. I know she's going to do everything she can for the baby, as is Noten. I love how you make your story realistic, and address factors that would come up in a world like that, without it going as far to be disturbing. If that makes sense. Again, I love your titles for the chapters! I always scroll back up to see what the title was after I finish, to find that it fits the chapter so well!
Adorable Nooboo indeed. Thank you kindly, I'm doing everything I can to keep things as real as possible, because when generation 5 grows up... things may get a little less realistic... heh. Thank you though, I do put a lot of thought into my chapters and their titles. I want it to be just enough to warn people about the chapter, but not enough to spoil it.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear... Poor Palmira! That nooboo is really a mischeivious one, I hope the girl will pull through. Noten will be a great dad, if everything goes as planned. I'm so excited!  ;D
Noten is a great dad, he goes up there as number one in my books (Giacomo had a nice run for a while, but neither he or Khang did things autonomously for their kids... so...). Though I should warn you, mischievous doesn't even begin to describe their first born... But I won't spoil anything.

Boy, I missed a lot! So many emotions surging inside me right now. Poor Palmira on every front! First her dad, now this baby. But at least they'll be able to keep her healthy...right? Right? Unless you're going to just, you know, run a stake through my heart and let Palmira die in childbirth.

This story is so in-depth and thorough. Even without the screencaps it was easy to follow and I was completely enthralled. I was paying more attention to it than my Native American History lecture (Bad I know). Can't wait for more, and I can't wait to see this nooboo! And hoping Noten doesn't have to care for it on his own.
Haha, no, I wouldn't run a stake through your heart, not at all. Things work out just fine... for now.
I have some pretty depressing chapters coming soon though, so... don't get too used to the happy. I'm just so excited, I'm like a step away from the storyline I've been dying to play for ages.

Oh no!! Poor Palmira! First her dad dies, then she might die along with her baby. I really hope she gets through it alright.
Well good thing she won't kill off main characters...right...hang on a minute...Demi...
*Evil laughter*
Haha, on a serious note, I'm not really afraid to kill off main characters because in real life, you aren't spared because of your importance, however, I think everyone should be pleased with this chapter.

Pride and Selfishness
Palmira and Noten sat in silence as it grew darker outside. Everything had been packed up and tucked away in little backpacks for them to carry. They knew it was best to travel light.

Palmira finally broke the silence. "Why are you upset with me, Noten?" Her voice had a twinge of defensiveness hidden in her question.
Noten was silent, but his anger was building.
"Are you mad at me because of our child?" She half-growled, Noten couldn't take it anymore.
Noten's hands slammed against the table. "No." He said with so much force that Palmira's eyes went wide and she stopped her mocking. "I just can't stand how selfish you are." He said, hammering her with the emotions he had been holding back. "You don't seem to give a care how I feel about anything, or the fact that your life is hanging in the balance of this situation."
"My life is my own to worry about." She said softly.
"You just don't get it, do you?!" Noten shouted. He stood up and walked to the window in frustration. "Sure, you die, you could care less about that, but what about me?" He spat. "Do you care about how I feel? That I actually might NOT want to lose you? That maybe, you're more important to me than anything else? That maybe I wasn't on board with this crazy idea?"
Palmira was stunned into silence.
Noten exhaled hard. "I didn't think so."
There was a knock at the door, Noten straightened himself and opened it. "Hello, Ruben." He said quietly, motioning him inside.

"Are you ready?" He asked the two of them.
Palmira stared at the table and Noten sucked in on his cheek. "I don't know." Noten said with coldness in his voice. He reached down and grabbed the heavier backpack. "Ask Palmira. My opinion in this doesn't matter." Noten swung the backpack over his shoulder and walked out the door.
Ruben looked at Palmira for a second before Palmira nodded sadly and stood up.

Ruben had taken Bear, Noten and Palmira to his sailboat and got them situated. After an hour of sailing in silence, Ruben finally spoke up. "Hey Noten, how good are you with a boat?"
Noten half smiled, he felt a draw to sailing. Ruben pulled him towards the back of the boat for him to start steering while Ruben approached the stunned Palmira.
"Rough night?" He asked quietly. Ruben was trying to find a polite way to express that he had overheard the outburst between the two of them before he knocked.
"I guess you could say that." Palmira's voice was hollow.
"Look, I know it's not my place to say, but Noten really does care about you." Ruben said softly, putting a hand on Palmira's knee.
"Oh?" Palmira's voice was cold.
"Yeah, believe it or not, he does. It's not easy for a man to express feelings to a girl who has such a strong will." Ruben paused, "but if Noten was running around in the middle of the streets, aggravating the guards around town, tempting them to shoot him right after you got married... you wouldn't be to happy with him, now would you?"
"That's hardly the same thing." She spat, holding her stomach.
"Maybe not... to you." He said somewhat forcefully. "But that's the point. You don't seem to see past yourself sometimes Palmira, and that will hurt the ones you love, and really hurt the ones who love you." He motioned to Noten who was deep in thought as he sailed. Palmira stared at him for a moment, tears starting to well up in her eyes.
"I think I see it!" Noten called out quickly, he pointed the way. Ruben stood and squinted in the direction and laughed while nodding before walking back to Noten - leaving Palmira to think on his last words to her.
They arrived at the small island that was covered in foliage.

Ruben began to explain. "Home sweet home, for now." He chuckled. "Ok you two, here's the deal. There's no electricity this far out, so you'll likely need a lot of natural light. The stove in there runs on gas, and the fridge runs on a generator."

Palmira's face paled, she was starting to look a little green. "Ruben?" She asked quietly. "Where's the bathroom?"
Ruben laughed. "There really isn't one, there's a tub outside, but no running water. You'll have to fill it from the well, and boil the water on the stove if you really wanted to have a warm bath. I would usually fill the tub up in the morning and let the beautiful island sun warm it up for an evening bath." He paused, noting Palmira's face. "There's also an outhouse around back, but nothing is covered. It's secluded enough around here that the only life you'll see is wildlife."
Palmira didn't look comforted.

"There's also a cellar with some nectar and a cot in case my wife needs to stay with you."

"I'll leave you two to get settled in." Ruben said quietly. He pulled Palmira aside and told her one last thing. "Please just think on what I said, ok?" He rubbed her shoulder and left the two of them in silence.
The two got ready for bed in silence.
Palmira woke in the middle of the night to run out to the outhouse and get sick.

And Noten woke early to start to prepare for his wife's needs. He tended to the garden and decided on pancakes for a breakfast start.

He was trying very hard to not think of what felt inevitable. He pulled the pancakes off the stove and doubled over for a moment, crying very softly. Palmira had just come out to see if breakfast was ready, even though she knew she was on strict bed rest. It was only after seeing her husband's pain did she start to feel the weight of Ruben's words. She sunk quietly back into the bedroom and waited for Noten to come and get her.

Noten carried Palmira around the house when she wished to move or needed to sit to eat. He worried about her getting too dizzy if she were to stand for to long, so he discouraged her from moving much on her own. As they sat down to eat, Palmira could only picture the image of Noten crying and found it hard to eat her food.
"You need to eat." Noten said firmly. "Everything, I need to make sure you are eating regularly, three full meals a day-"
"I'm so sorry, Noten." She swallowed hard, twisting the food on her plate. She started to sniffle a little as she held back tears of her own. "I've wanted a family my whole life, I just... thought you would be ok with the decision I made because it's more than just a baby to me. It's our baby and there's nothing I wanted more in life than to start a family with you." A tear betrayed her and fell from her eye.
Noten stared at her deeply before he stood up slowly and walked around the table to her. He picked her up and sat her in his lap and she couldn't hold back her tears any longer.
"I'm sorry." She whispered between sobs. Noten just hugged her close.
"You don't have to be sorry." Noten's voice was gruff. "We're here now. It isn't an ideal situation, but we're here. You have to keep your strength up, not just for you, but for our child." He whispered to her softly.
Palmira pulled back and looked at him. It was the first time he had given the baby a possessive. "Our baby." She said back to him slowly, rubbing her stomach. She nodded. It wasn't just hers, it was theirs. They kissed and Palmira straightened herself. She wiped her face off and sniffled a little longer before she turned to devour her pancakes. Noten made sure she had a second helping before getting her back to bed.
Their relationship was slowly improving, but it still needed time.
Noten buried himself into working in the garden while Palmira spent time reading every book on the bookshelf.

Then, everyday in the afternoon, like clockwork Mylee would show up and quietly walk into the bedroom where Palmira rested.

Noten could never bring himself to listen in or even enter the room on those days. He just sat quietly and waited. An hour would pass, Mylee would open the door and leave, only smiling at Noten on her way out.

This was the norm for them. Noten would cook three meals a day for his wife and they would spend time together just laughing and eating.

But Noten could never get the impending birth out of his mind, the possibility of losing Palmira haunted him every night as he would close up the house and every moment he spent alone.
The days were passing, and Palmira was getting bigger and bigger. Her face was filling out again and her cheeks were gaining a natural glow.

She was starting to become healthier and happier as the days came and went and her stomach grew.
Noten had far too many conflicting feelings. While he was with Palmira he felt calm, everything was going to be fine he would assure himself. He would even spend time talking to his unborn child.

But when he was alone the fears started to grow again, and his heart would ache to just be sure of something.
Ruben sent a few gifts to Noten and Palmira to celebrate the upcoming birth.

With the rocking chair there now, Palmira could come out of the dark bedroom more often to sit next to the windows and rest. Noten still worried about her, but she couldn't stay cooped up forever.

It wasn't long after receiving the crib that Mylee determined that she would need to stay over, as the baby would be arriving within the next day. Noten was falling apart inside, but he kept it together. He continued his work out in his garden when the screaming started. Noten ran inside as fast as he could.

Mylee calmly grabbed him by the shoulders and ushered him outside. "Just breathe now Noten, it's best if you stay outside while I help your wife. Ok?"
Noten couldn't bear being outside while he heard his wife screaming inside.

He stood, feeling helpless as Palmira's painful cries echoed outside. Noten paced back and forth in front of their bedroom window. After what felt like hours, Palmira's screams finally ended. Noten swallowed hard, feeling his heart pounding in his chest.
When she was screaming he at least knew she was alive. Now things were so quiet.
There was a soft wail of an infant. Noten breathed out softly, waiting to hear his wife say something, but it was too hard to hear anything else. The door opened outside and the wailing child, wrapped in blankets, came to greet his father from Mylee's arms.

"Congratulations father. You have a son." Mylee said happily. "Palmira is resting now, but she should recover fully." Noten finally exhaled completely and grinned wildly.
"I have a son?" He reached out and took his little boy who gurgled happily in his arms.
"Palmira has asked to name him Edward." Mylee said, tickling the boy's feet.
Noten swiftly wiped a tear of happiness away. "Edward it is." He hugged the boy close.
"Edward, my son."

Offline Kavey

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #297 on: January 22, 2014, 05:13:19 PM »
Oh my gosh. I teared up while Noten was telling Palmira his worries!  :'(  Edward is a little cutie! I noticed you didn't tell us his traits.... I can only guess what this little nooboo is hiding from us.  ;)

Offline SadieHamming

• Immortal
« Reply #298 on: January 22, 2014, 06:10:08 PM »
Welcome Edward! I'm so happy to see that Palmira and him are both safe and healthy! I've said it before, quite a few times, but Noten is so sweet! I loved the one scene when he doubled over for a moment and cried softly. I feel like it told a lot about him and also all the worry and stress that he was under. Edward is going to be adorable! I can't wait til he's older!

Offline rodeo199

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #299 on: January 22, 2014, 06:30:00 PM »
Awww! Edwards gonna grow up to be a cutie I'm sure of it, I mean just look at his parents. :D   And YAY! Palmira got through childbirth alright...as far as we know, but something could always happen...dun dun dun lol