Author Topic: The Sims 3 Immortal Dynasty Challenge  (Read 1278688 times)

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: The Sims 3 Immortal Dynasty Challenge
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2010, 11:48:12 AM »
So then the next in line after that, has to go with another route, like athletic, but no guitar since that one was taken.  I think once people start playing it, it will fall into place and it will not be so confusing.  I can see where it would be, as long as no two immortals have the same supermax skills, all is well.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Read forum rules
Riches to Rags

Offline TheCub

• Townie
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2010, 12:22:36 PM »
There's one thing I noticed that I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet. If lifespan is set to normal, and the Founder needs a portrait as a young adult, then you'll probably have less than three weeks to get that portrait done. I think you need level 7 painting skill to paint a portrait, so you'd better get married right away and have your spouse start learning to paint immediately.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2010, 01:06:39 PM »
I hope to clear most, if not all, of the skill choice confusion up soon. I'm going to lay out exactly what I intend to do—at least give players a taste of the first 3 generations. I'll be very specific and leave no stone unturned. So, hopefully, that will help. I'll do that later today, but need to get to some house chores first.  ::)

-------

EDIT: Okay, here’s my walkthrough for the first 3 generations. Whether or not I actually do this is up in the air, but for now it sounds like a solid plan:

My Founder is Moe Howard. Moe’s going to marry quickly as TheCub correctly pointed out—you can’t dawdle on getting the paintings done. So, Moe marrys and his wife will assume the responsibility of painting Moe’s portrait, and also doing the photo and ice sculpture. She’ll be quite busy.

As for Moe, now that I think about it, guitar is not the way to go. I’ll have Moe go the Science career route and that way the gardening and fishing necessary for making Ambrosia can be taken care of, plus he’ll have handiness to to repair things that break. So, his LTW will be the Creature Robot Cross Breeder and his wife will essentially be the cook and a self employed painter, sculptor, photographer.

Moe and whatever her name will be have one child, Shemp. Shemp’s the 2nd generation immortal. Moe will probably have maxed gardening, handiness and fishing, so all 3 skills will be off limits for Shemp’s supermax choice. It would make sense for Shemp to become a da Vinci because Moe’s wife won’t be around very long to handle the paintings, photos, and sculptures. So, Shemp will pursue painting, sculpting and inventing and his targeted supermax skill would be one of those. His career will be a self-employed profession. Shemp’s wife will need to get in on the act as far as painting, sculpting and photography because Shemp will need his own objects for the museum. But, once Shemp’s wife is gone, then Shemp will be able to handle all museum objects for all future immortals.

Shemp and his wife bring in the 3rd generation with Curly Howard. Woo woo woo woo. Curly needs to pick a LTW, career, and supermax skill all different from Moe and Shemp, so let’s just say....a Swimming in Cash LTW, a Ghost Hunter career, and a Logic supermax choice.

Death Fish and Life Fruit can be kept indefinitely in inventory without fear of them ever spoiling, but there's still the requirement of someone with a maxed cooking skill to make the Ambrosia. So, I may just have Moe assume that responsibility and be the Dynasty household cook.

It is a little confusing in the sense of how many ways you can approach this, but I hope this example at least clears up some of the skill/supermax choice confusion. The bottom line is you'll have 8 immortals which means 8 different supermax skills, 8 different careers (rabbit-hole or self employed profession is fine) and 8 different LTW. Just plan it out for yourself and that will avoid confusion down the road for you when you get to generation 5 or 6 and are wondering what your remaining immortals can choose from to fulfill their requirements.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2010, 03:44:43 PM »
So you have to be careful about who helps out around the house because over time it's easy to reach 10 in a skill just by doing chores. Oh! And if they're all trying to make 6 best friends, you might have 8 immortals hovering at or near 10 in charisma, with no way to slow their progress!

In my earlier scenario I asked if this would be the case if Handy's special skill was handiness. Now, to be sure I'm getting this right, I'm asking if this would be the case even if Handy supermaxed gardening, plus he reached 10 in handiness:

"Drop that plunger and back away from the toilet! That's Handy's job and you're already a 9.".
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die,
your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. -- George Carlin

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2010, 04:02:29 PM »
In my earlier scenario I asked if this would be the case if Handy's special skill was handiness. Now, to be sure I'm getting this right, I'm asking if this would be the case even if Handy supermaxed gardening, plus he reached 10 in handiness:

If Handy has chosen gardening as his requirement skill, then that obviously locks out gardening as a supermax choice for other immortals. If Handy has also maxed handiness, that also prevents handiness from being a supermax choice of other immortals.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2010, 04:06:50 PM »
But you're not seeing my question. It also locks out any accidental progression of handiness to level 10 by other immortals, right?
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Offline templesmom

• Townie
  • Happy Simming!
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2010, 04:18:11 PM »
So for handiness your options are to have no one else do anything that can raise the handiness skill or watch them closely so that no one maxes handiness or just have handiness be one of the skills any one can do. I plan on doing that because inventing raises handiness anyway. So in my game handiness will never be a unique maxed skill.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2010, 04:18:41 PM »
But you're not seeing my question. It also locks out any accidental progression of handiness to level 10 by other immortals, right?

If gardening is Handy's supermax/required skill for eating Ambrosia AND he maxed handiness too, all that means is that handiness cannot be the supermax skill of another immortal. Another immortal is free to max handiness. Here's the rule:

• 3. Max a skill not maxed by other immortals. All related skill challenges from the Skill Journal must also be accomplished for the skill.

So, the skill we're talking about above in the rule is the "supermax" skill I've coined. That single skill only deals with the requirement for eating Ambrosia and achieving immortality. There's nothing in the rules preventing multiple immortals from sharing the same maxed skills. It's just that each of them has to have one unique skill that no other immortal has maxed. I think some of you may be overthinking this a bit. I just don't know how else to explain myself.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2010, 04:22:46 PM »
*removed*

Okay, then I guess we need to be very vigilant against accidental maxing of previously claimed Supermaxed skills by other immortals.

So for handiness your options are to have no one else do anything that can raise the handiness skill or watch them closely so that no one maxes handiness or just have handiness be one of the skills any one can do. I plan on doing that because inventing raises handiness anyway. So in my game handiness will never be a unique maxed skill.

Right, and I'm guessing charisma would be another one to leave free.

Offline templesmom

• Townie
  • Happy Simming!
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2010, 04:29:57 PM »
Yes, I think that is part of the challenge.
I also think it will be easier playing it then thinking about it. I am away from my home computer so I am having a hard time over thinking this challenge because I can't start.[

Right, and I'm guessing charisma would be another one to leave free.
[/quote]

Yes I agree.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2010, 04:33:18 PM »
Okay, then I guess we need to be very vigilant against accidental maxing of previously claimed Supermaxed skills by other immortals.

Exactly. Just dive in. You'll figure it out. Pam and I are here to guide you in your journey with your Dynasty, but as I said before, map everything out ahead of time. Just write down on a sheet of paper Founder, Gen 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 and have space for the supermax skill, LTW and career of each. Those are the big 3. If you lock down those three before even starting, you're golden because all of those need to be unique to each immortal. Pam's spreadsheet should be very helpful too.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2010, 06:59:13 PM »

I think there's still some confusion here.  The accidental maxing of a skill that has been claimed as a SuperMax skill is ok as long as it's not also claimed as a SuperMax skill.  Maxing of any and all skills is fine.  You just have to make sure there's no overlap of the SuperMax skills.

Do I have this right, Metro?

EDIT:  I was incorrect in this post.  Any SuperMax skill CANNOT be maxed by anyone else.  Example:  If the founder maxes 4 skills and choses one as a SuperMax skill to qualify for Ambrosia, even those other 3 maxed skills cannot be used as a SuperMax skill for other immortals.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2010, 07:00:06 PM »
First off, I'm going to go looking for Blair Wainwright so my elders can catch the runaround bug. I'm not kidding, it's an awesome bug for elders. You're never even aware of their infirmity.

Thank you, Pam. I think you get what I'm trying to get at. What you're saying is in opposition to what Metro says here:

If Handy has chosen gardening as his requirement skill, then that obviously locks out gardening as a supermax choice for other immortals. If Handy has also maxed handiness, that also prevents handiness from being a supermax choice of other immortals.

and here:

Quote from: Metropolis Man
Moe and whatever her name will be have one child, Shemp. Shemp’s the 2nd generation immortal. Moe will probably have maxed gardening, handiness and fishing, so all 3 skills will be off limits for Shemp’s supermax choice.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2010, 07:18:02 PM »
I think I've got it now. There are two paths in play, not one.

1. Choice of Supermax skill: this must be a skill that no previous Immortal has maxed at all, casually or as supermax.

2. Choice of skills to casually max: this can be any skill not chosen as any Immortal's Supermax skill.

Therefore:  earlier generations should not max too many skills casually, or else that limits the skills available to later generations for Supermaxing.

Is this right?

EDIT: Corrected #2

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2010, 07:40:15 PM »
I think I've got it now. There are two paths in play, not one.

1. Choice of Supermax skill: this must be a skill that no previous Immortal has maxed at all, casually or as supermax.

2. Choice of skills to casually max: this can be any skill.

Therefore:  earlier generations should not max too many skills casually, or else that limits the skills available to later generations for Supermaxing.

Is this right?

My earlier post was incorrect. 

LlamaMama:  Your path #1 is the correct one.  SuperMax skills for each immortal must NOT be maxed by any other immortal at all.  Say, if your founder maxes 4 skills and choses one for his SuperMax skill, nobody else will be able to use any of those 4 maxed skills as a SuperMax.

My sincere apologies for posting incorrect information.  All these questions got me confused about the rules I helped write!  Thank goodness Metro isn't a silly wherry like me.  ;D
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2010, 07:43:45 PM »
But can a subsequent Immortal max it casually? Edit: No.

Is my conclusion correct in the above post?

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2010, 07:45:34 PM »
Wait so does the First Immortal have to grow all the ingredients and cook the Ambrosia for all the Immortals as they can't reach Level 10 cooking or gardening/fishing?
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2010, 07:47:55 PM »
Wait so does the First Immortal have to grow all the ingredients and cook the Ambrosia for all the Immortals as they can't reach Level 10 cooking or gardening/fishing?

Remember, there are 7 skills that all of your Immortals can maximize (15 - eight), so you need to choose which of the skills will the the SuperMaxes and which will be available to all.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2010, 07:48:18 PM »
Spouses can do those things until they can be handled by one or more Immortals.

Offline Missa

• Townie
« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2010, 07:50:48 PM »
I started with a writer, but I think I'll start over because she can't find any eligible men! I should have focused on getting married as soon as possible but I waited too long and now I can't find anyone :) I just dived in without thinking of the long term. So I think I'll take Metro's advice and plan everyone out before I even start.

Thank you Metro for designing such an interesting challenge! And thank you Pam for the spreadsheet you made, I downloaded it and I think it is going to really help me keep track of everything!

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2010, 07:52:02 PM »
I am being Daft ain't I? So each WannabeImmortal has to max a different skill to the others but they can still max something like cooking and gardening?
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2010, 07:56:25 PM »
Decide ahead of time which 8 skills will only be taken to level 10 by one immortal. The other 7 skills can be maxed by any or all of them. Spouses or children can use any skills.

Similarly, I'm assuming that with LTR's, one should decide ahead of time which 24 will be unique.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2010, 08:49:08 PM »
Thank goodness Metro isn't a silly wherry like me.  ;D

I couldn't agree more. Wait...what's a wherry? Sounds like a term that people who eat Grey Poupon would use. Nevertheless, Pam, I'm smart enough to infer from your comment that you were being complimentary.

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2010, 09:32:37 PM »
Exactly. Just dive in. You'll figure it out.

...but as I said before, map everything out ahead of time.

LOL, easy for you to say! Just dive in, but map everything out first!  ;D

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2010, 09:43:36 PM »
Okay, I got it backwards—map out your strategy and then dive in!  ;D