Author Topic: The Sims 3 Immortal Dynasty Challenge  (Read 1452044 times)

Offline ombradellarosa

• You can call me Rosa :)
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Follow Brooke on The Mole!
Re: The Sims 3 Immortal Dynasty Challenge
« Reply #8650 on: September 05, 2013, 03:11:50 PM »
3. Decide which 3 you want to be unique. Decide it now. Then the others can be taken by anyone you wish. Keep in mind that with 3 EPs you need to be careful of giving just anyone whatever LTRs you want. You don't want to run out of options!

That goes for any requirements. Decide what is unique for your Founder now. Trust me, it's just better that way.

5. It's usually best to decide ahead of time what skill you plan to SuperMax so you don't have to spread out your effort like this. However, that is no longer an option. Base Game skills such as Gardening, Fishing, and Handiness can all be SuperMaxed using base game only, so travelling is not required. Does make it easier though. With all of those skills, I can see why you might not have got the Op where you plant eggs and cheese. If you do follow that opportunity chain, though, you will plant all the necessary plants with no need for travel. Same with fish, except those don't need opportunities. You can catch all the fish you need without travelling, I promise. You spread yourself thin trying to SuperMax three different skills.
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By intl_incident                                                      By samoht04

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #8651 on: September 05, 2013, 03:44:49 PM »
You spread yourself thin trying to SuperMax three different skills.

Exactly.  For your scientist, I recommend supermaxing fishing.  Since you can't travel yet and gardening is going to be hard to supermax (unless you get the opportunity chain).  Handiness I am assuming you don't have enough broken appliances yet to supermax.  Fishing is easy to supermax with just base game, there is 21 fish in base game, plus late night adding 3 more, so that's 24 types of fish, and you only need 19 different types for the first skill challenge in fishing.  The second skill challenge in fishing is just fish as much as you can, doesn't matter what you catch.

As you play your dynasty, you will come across broken plumbings and appliances, don't call the repairman or fix it yourself, put them away (in your family inventory) -- save those broken items for your future immortals that wants to supermax handiness.

If you use the bathroom a lot, the cheap toilet breaks so fast, its almost annoying.  As for electrical objects, the cheap dishwasher is the way to go.  If you want to speed things up and get lots of broken stuff as soon as possible, throw lots of parties and invite lots of guests.  Make sure you have buffet table, dishwashers or sink out for them to wash the dishes. 

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Zyffyr

• Townie
« Reply #8652 on: September 05, 2013, 06:51:13 PM »
5. I chose my first Immortal to be a scientist. He's an adult now, and he has done everything necessary to become Immortal except for the best friends, 2 portraits and super maxed skill. I know the scientist path wasn't very wise choice, as handiness, gardening and fishing are hard to complete, if I'm right. Well not that hard exactly, but to get all the seeds or catch all the fish, gardening and fishing requires travelling, which is still banned for me. And as I play with World Adventures, Ambitions and Late Night, I don't know how to get Sea Sludge, Kissing Gourami and Sewer Trilobite in Sunset Valley. Handiness is hard also, because I can't come up with a way to fix 10 objects. My Sims have broken 2 on accident, but I don't have the time to wait for 8 more to break, as I don't have any Clumsy Sims on my household. My first Immortal is handy, so he won't breaking those machines either while tinkering on them. And I really don't have the nerves to check the community lots all the time, if some random Sim broke the toilet or whatever. So what do you guys suggest? I'm considering to give myself the permission to travel. After all I'm doing this for myself.

Gardening is quite easy. It doesn't actually require "all" plants. It requires however many are available with just the base game - 19 iirc. Travel is not required, merely helpful. I believe the same goes for Fishing, but as I haven't used it as a SuperMax I am not certain (I tend to leave it open for everyone - it is a great way to keep a couple bored immortals busy for the day).

Offline Squark

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #8653 on: September 05, 2013, 09:07:52 PM »
So, thinking of trying my hand at the challenge. However, I do have a couple of questions.

1) While I never actually found the text something stating as such, am I correct in assuming non-immortals cannot have death flowers at all? Also, on a technical note (As in, does this work at all?), can I use a harvested death flower to plant a new one, the way I'd use harvested produce to grow new produce? (Just thinking I can use the death flower from the Sunset Valley Graveyard to grow my founder's death flower if worst comes to worst and I can't find a death flower seed)
2) Unique LTRs for my immortals are restricted to that immortal only, correct? So, if my founder takes, say, Multi-tasker as one of his Unique LTRs, no other immortal can take multi-tasker ever? Just asking because I was kind of confused by the wording.
3) Only the skill my immortal supermaxes is banned for other immortals, correct? So, if, say, my founder is a scientist and gets Gardening, Fishing, and Handiness to level 10, but only Fishing is his Supermax, other immortals can still hit level 10 gardening, correct (Mainly because I tend to go overboard with gardens, and after a while, it's tempting to draft some help from the rest of the family to pick them, which means XP, and... Yeah)
4) Am I allowed to place new Lot spaces for lots? For example, placing a 64x64 lot to make a place for the nectary?
5) The rules say that Toadified sims and similar transformations need to be cured; does this mean that if the AI has toadified a townie, I should go out, find a cure elixir, and throw it at said townie? Or is this specifically related to if my sims mess around with such curses (For that matter, does autonomous Toadifying even occur)?
6) Another technical question; are Witches considered "Occults," in the sense that celebrities get into trouble for woohooing with them? For that matter, do Occults of the same species get into trouble for that? I mean, it's stupid, but I guess I see why the tabloids might freak out over a fairy and a werewolf woohooing (Even if they're married >.>), but will the tabloids freak out that Occults are trying to reproduce even amongst themselves? Just asking because sims tend to end up becoming celebrities inevitably if you let celebrities populate, but outlawing them also prevents social groups from improving, which means no 7th trait.

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Deep fried since 1994
« Reply #8654 on: September 05, 2013, 10:08:25 PM »
1. Not at all. Sometimes a non-immortal harvests death flowers when caring for the garden, but remember to immediately remove them to a dynasty-legal location if that happens. Harvested death flowers are fine to plant.

2. Correct, it's only for that immortal, but it's only three that have to be unique. You can have all your immortals have Steel Bladder or Multitasker and just not claim it as anyone's unique LTR, but it's game over if Food Replicator is one of your founder's official unique LTRs and generation three buys it too.

3. Correct. It's just supermaxes that are off-limits to everyone but the immortal with the supermax.

4. Yes, placing new lots in Edit Town is fine as long as a venue goes on them.

5. If one of your sims toadifies a townie (I've never seen inactive sims toadify other sims), I'd play it safe and cure them.

6. I haven't played with celebrities on since I've had the option to turn them off, so I don't know how occult woohoo is currently handled. Turning off celebrities actually doesn't turn off social groups, though.
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / DecaDynasty

Offline Squark

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #8655 on: September 05, 2013, 10:26:22 PM »
Thanks. A few more questions;

1) Is there a smaller legal film lot than Plumbob Pictures Backlot? I'd rather not have to fit anymore 64X64 lots into the world than I have to.
2) Besides a Large Show Venue, a film studio, and a gypsy wagon, are there any other career related lots missing form Sunset Valley? I'm fine with not having a dog park or a particular type of club, and I can always add an Arboreum to a lot I purchase myself later (At least, I think I can. Can I?) should one of my immortals take up alchemy, but I'd rather not have to build my own version of another lot.
3) Since, to my knowledge, werewolves don't age any slower than normal sims, why are they banned? Is it the +30 transformed moodlet? ARe they buggy? Something else entirely? This is mostly out of curiosity.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Deep fried since 1994
« Reply #8656 on: September 05, 2013, 10:47:28 PM »
1. I think the film backlot from Union Cove is 50x50, but I can't confirm that.

2. Not that I can think of, since all of the Ambitions lots autoplace in Sunset Valley. And yes, you can add an arboretum to a purchased lot later on in the game.

3. Werewolves actually do age slower than human sims, as their young adult and adult life stages are 1.5x longer than those life stages for humans.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8657 on: September 05, 2013, 11:49:05 PM »
Thank you all for the quick responses. I think I have to clarify myself a bit on Qs 3. and 5. I'm sorry, I'm not an indigenous English speaker, I don't have the skill to express myself shortly.

3. So if an Immortal does requirement X to eat Ambrosia, no later Immortal can do that (even just for its sheer benefit or for fun) nor can the former Immortal change his unique requirements in order to let other Immortal have those as well (again for their sheer benefit). Ok, I got that, but I'm still confused about one thing.

My first Immortal has taken 6 LTRs, so he's well beyond the requirement of three unique LTRs. Do I have to choose now which are the ones to qualify for the requirement? Or can I opt not to choose them and just have at least 3 unique LTRs and later have some other Immortals take some of those LTRs as well, as long as the first Immortal has at least 3 unique LTRs? Of course the mutual LTRs wouldn't be unique to the later Immortals either, but they could want them anyway.

LTRs was just an example, the same principle would work for any other requirements, wouldn't it?

5. The reason I have to travel is, because I have to Super-Max a skill. And because he's scientist, he's closest to Super-Max handiness, fishing and gardening, but I just can't decide which one to choose. Well handiness doesn't require travelling but the other two do, am I right? Good tips from Audren and Seabody. So I have to either buy cheap appliances and use them repeatedly and hope they break often enough, or wait till my heir is YA and travel to get all those needed fish/seeds and just hope my first Immortal doesn't die before it. Any other suggestions?

----------------

Did I make myself clear this time?

3.  I agree that it's best to make your decisions now and not wait.  Your first immortal will have three of those LTRs as the unique requirements.  The others may use the other three, but they cannot be unique for anyone.  For example, it's ok for everyone to have the Steel Bladder reward, but it can never be counted as a unique reward for Ambrosia requirements.

4.  This challenge was designed so that even someone with only the base game could complete it.  So, traveling is not necessary for completing Fishing and Gardening SuperMax skills.  For Gardening, 19 plants are required to complete the Master Planter Challenge.  Regarding Fishing, new fish have come with almost every expansion, so you should be able to catch the 20 required types of fish easily in your town. 

One more thing...  you've got three possible SuperMax skills:  Gardening, Fishing, and Handiness.  Right?  Keep in mind that if any of them reach level 10, they are disqualified from being a SuperMax skill for future generations.  Even without doing all of the journal challenges for them, they are still disqualified just because they are level 10.  It becomes like the non-unique Lifetime Happiness Rewards.  Other Immortals can max those skills by going to level 10, but they cannot be a SuperMax requirement for eating Ambrosia.

I hope this helps clarify things for you.  :)
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Shirin

• Watcher
« Reply #8658 on: September 05, 2013, 11:58:30 PM »
Squark -

I'll take a stab at a couple of these.

Re film lot - There is no smaller film lot, but...should you purchase a property (say, a big park), there is a film rabbithole you can drop down onto the lot. The lot you purchase should be no smaller than 40x40.

Re occults - I don't know if witches count as occults for woohoo shaming purposes, but I'm pretty sure they do (I can check tomorrow); my witch was a celebrity before her non-occult husband. However, non-occults do still get the moodlet of shame - Matthew Hamming (non-occult) just had a woohoo with his mermaid wife, Marina Prattle, and now has the moodlet of shame. It's been a long time since I've played with celebrities, but my recollection is that two occults who woohoo one another each get a moodlet of shame for woohoo with an occult.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8659 on: September 06, 2013, 12:05:43 AM »
So, thinking of trying my hand at the challenge. However, I do have a couple of questions.

I would like to add some things.

1.  Regarding Death Flowers, only Sims with the Green Thumb trail can harvest more than one flower from the Death Flower plant.  So, if your Sim is not a Green Thumb, planting the flower from the cemetery will produce only one new flower.  A Green Thumb will get two flowers.  That's all you can get as the plant dies after being harvested once.

5.  I don't believe townies will become Toadified autonomously.  It's something your Sims does and must be reversed when it happens.  My solution would probably be to avoid toadifying anyone.

6.  Yes, witches are considered Occult and your Sim can get the accusation of woohooing with an occult.  And, yes, you will get the same accusation if woohooing with the same species.  The game doesn't care what your Sim is, only what the woohoo partner is.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline Turoskel

• Watcher
« Reply #8660 on: September 06, 2013, 02:51:26 AM »
When I was doing my practice run for the collecting challenge my sim got toadified from backfired alchemy, first time I'd ever seen that, usually they fail to make it and just get sick but it happened at least 3 times while she was low level, so perhaps that is where this rule originated, it's the sort of little detail Rica tends to think of.

Offline Squark

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #8661 on: September 06, 2013, 08:21:40 AM »
Ah. I see. Well, that clears up most of my questions. Just double checking, though; It's fine to place lots from the EA store, right? I assume they count as EA-created, but I just wanted to double check. Also, Just making sure I read Rica's post correctly; Is it okay to replace the stadium in Sunset Valley with the Combined Stadium and Big Show Venue from Showtime?

EDIT: Oh, I noticed premium content from the store is banned in tournament challenges. While the rules are different for dynasty challenges, as I understand, does that hold true for dynasties as well?

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Deep fried since 1994
« Reply #8662 on: September 06, 2013, 08:49:23 AM »
Lots from the Store are just fine.

Do not replace anything without explicit permission. It's a weird line in the Edit Town rules, but I recommend playing it safe and not replacing the stadium unless someone more official says otherwise.

Actually, premium content is just fine to use in dynasties. The only PC content that is banned in every dynasty is the Wishing Well from Lucky Palms. Using the Fountain of Youth from Hidden Springs is banned in the immortal dynasty as well and restricted to some degree in the others due to its life extending properties, but all other PC is absolutely allowed in all the dynasties.

Offline Squark

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #8663 on: September 06, 2013, 10:26:04 AM »
Thanks for all the help! One last question; In moving around the lots, I ultimately can't find room for Varg's Supernatural tavern (Which supernatural placed at the end of Pinnochle road, which was the only space large enough to stick a 64x64 lot for the big show venue). Since I can't find room for a 40x40 lot at this point, it's fine if I just leave my town without a supernatural hangout, correct?

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Deep fried since 1994
« Reply #8664 on: September 06, 2013, 11:11:02 AM »
You're not required to add any lots (adding lots all boils down to preference and strategy), so leaving out Varg's Tavern is fine.

Offline smartburn

• Occult
« Reply #8665 on: September 06, 2013, 11:20:48 AM »
What Trip said. Also, keep in mind that you can place the nectar consignment register on a property that you purchase, in case that was your main reason for placing the nectary.

Offline Squark

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #8666 on: September 06, 2013, 05:02:42 PM »
>.> So... yet more questions.

-How do I actually declare I've started the dynasty? I've got the save file ready, with the clock 2 minutes in and a screenshot of my founder on the empty lot. I presume you need the expansions I'm using and the town I'm in?
-Technical question: Is the gallery restricted to users with a certain number of posts? I've tried to create an account there, but when I try to login it says the account doesn't exist, but trying to register again says it does.  ???

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
« Reply #8667 on: September 06, 2013, 05:07:46 PM »
You don't need to declare your start at all. If you want to post a story on the forum or something like that, you can, but no official declaration is necessary. Even if you do write a story to go along with it, you don't need to post anything about it in this thread, unless you have some sort of question or technical issue, of course.

The gallery is restricted to members with 10 or more posts.

Offline Squark

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #8668 on: September 06, 2013, 06:14:52 PM »
Alright, one last question. Is it just the founder's camera that has to stay in the family, or does the Camera, say, Agnes Crumplebottom has in her inventory have to stay. Also, is my founder's first wand subject to the same restriction as his camera?

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Deep fried since 1994
« Reply #8669 on: September 06, 2013, 06:53:11 PM »
You can sell your founder's camera before you set their funds to 1,800. The cameras in the inventories of those you move in can be sold. Wands are...do whatever, really. It's not mentioned in the rules.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8670 on: September 07, 2013, 12:02:49 AM »
>.> So... yet more questions.

-How do I actually declare I've started the dynasty? I've got the save file ready, with the clock 2 minutes in and a screenshot of my founder on the empty lot. I presume you need the expansions I'm using and the town I'm in?
-Technical question: Is the gallery restricted to users with a certain number of posts? I've tried to create an account there, but when I try to login it says the account doesn't exist, but trying to register again says it does.  ???

Hi Squark.

You don't have to declare anything or give us any starting information.  Just start playing when you feel like it.  If you're going for the Hall of Fame, be sure to follow all the rules completely.  If you miss something, you've either failed the challenge or you may continue with it as an unofficial Dynasty with no Hall of Fame entry.

Gallery accounts have to be approved.  I've got yours right now.  Normally we want a member to have a minimum of 10 Forum posts, which is mentioned on the Gallery instructions page.  However, I'll make an exception for you because it's clear you're serious about playing this challenge and writing a story.  I'll approve it and then you'll be able to access it.  :)

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8671 on: September 07, 2013, 06:10:42 AM »
@_Annika_ congratulations on finishing the Immortal Dynasty! Woot. Well done. :) I have all the info for a HOF entry except for 2 things...

1. What did you like most about the challenge?

2. What did you find most difficult?

So, please answer those two questions in a PM to me and I will get right on your HOF entry. Great job again.

Offline paskapytty

• Nooboo
« Reply #8672 on: September 07, 2013, 01:58:42 PM »
3. Decide which 3 you want to be unique. Decide it now. Then the others can be taken by anyone you wish. Keep in mind that with 3 EPs you need to be careful of giving just anyone whatever LTRs you want. You don't want to run out of options!

That goes for any requirements. Decide what is unique for your Founder now. Trust me, it's just better that way.

Again, is that just a common practice or requirement? And I know I won't be running out of options. There are 47 LTRs with my expansions, and 8x3=24 so left are 23, which I can give to everybody. And from them I have chosen some all-rounder LTRs like Steel-Bladder, Meditative Trance Sleep, Carefree, Fast Learner and Observant, which I want to give to everybody and leave about 30 to just give some flexibility.

5. It's usually best to decide ahead of time what skill you plan to SuperMax so you don't have to spread out your effort like this. However, that is no longer an option. Base Game skills such as Gardening, Fishing, and Handiness can all be SuperMaxed using base game only, so travelling is not required. Does make it easier though. With all of those skills, I can see why you might not have got the Op where you plant eggs and cheese. If you do follow that opportunity chain, though, you will plant all the necessary plants with no need for travel. Same with fish, except those don't need opportunities. You can catch all the fish you need without travelling, I promise. You spread yourself thin trying to SuperMax three different skills.

I didn't go for them for the Super Maxing, I just had to do them to get promotions faster. I accidentally maxed fishing and gardening while trying to get perfect ingredients for Ambrosia, and if I can trust your promise, I'll go for fishing :) Now don't disappoint me ;) I'll leave handiness for future generations to decide what to do with it.

And the reason I decided to take scientist in the first place, was because I needed gardening and fishing anyway for the Ambrosia. And now with more knowledge, I would say it's actually not a bad strategy, but the things I did wrong were: misunderstanding the challenges (well, misleading game-info...) and not really shooting for one of them from the very start. All of them could have easily been possible, if I just had known what to do from the beginning.

Exactly.  For your scientist, I recommend supermaxing fishing.  Since you can't travel yet and gardening is going to be hard to supermax (unless you get the opportunity chain).  Handiness I am assuming you don't have enough broken appliances yet to supermax.  Fishing is easy to supermax with just base game, there is 21 fish in base game, plus late night adding 3 more, so that's 24 types of fish, and you only need 19 different types for the first skill challenge in fishing.  The second skill challenge in fishing is just fish as much as you can, doesn't matter what you catch.

The challenge says I have to catch every fish. But I'll trust you. It wouldn't make sense anyway to make game harder with more expansions :D

As you play your dynasty, you will come across broken plumbings and appliances, don't call the repairman or fix it yourself, put them away (in your family inventory) -- save those broken items for your future immortals that wants to supermax handiness.

If you use the bathroom a lot, the cheap toilet breaks so fast, its almost annoying.  As for electrical objects, the cheap dishwasher is the way to go.  If you want to speed things up and get lots of broken stuff as soon as possible, throw lots of parties and invite lots of guests.  Make sure you have buffet table, dishwashers or sink out for them to wash the dishes.

Thanks for the tips!

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Deep fried since 1994
« Reply #8673 on: September 08, 2013, 05:10:08 PM »
Two questions that are very related:

- Can I use the Climatron Control Unit to bring on a snowstorm even though I have snow disabled in my settings?

- Can I use a witch elixir on one of my immortals even though I have witches disabled in my settings?

Obviously, I wouldn't touch my actual settings. And I know that the game mechanics allow for those things to happen without a hitch even if your settings disable those things; I just don't know if dynasty rules do. ;)

And two other questions:

- How feasible is the Fairytale Finder LTW in this dynasty? I'm planning for a childish, fantasy-obsessed equestrian next generation, and that LTW is perfect for them.

- What is the best way for an immortal supermaxing riding to get ops? I'm pretty sure that the skill doesn't give them. For those who have done it, how did your riding supermax get their ops?

Offline violaine

• Nooboo
« Reply #8674 on: September 08, 2013, 07:06:33 PM »
About riding i wanted it but then i thought i would have a big problem to own a horse with 8 people in my household so it need to be chosen early if so. Having a pet you need to have  max 6 people in your household so maybe possible for the 4th gen if you dont want to get blocked after.

And paskapytty, i think a big part of the fun is to follow the rules of the challenge, because you may have lot of surprise when trying to do it which you didnt think about before.

Like you said oh my gen2 is already YA or like you can fish what you want without travelling or...
It s nice to see your own mistake, i went late for a gen4 artist and i had to train so many artists myself and still have to do it for the last painting of my gen4 arggh... wont do the same if i start again.

anything