Author Topic: Vesta's Reward (Move to Graveyard please)  (Read 3384 times)

Offline ToniSimbot

• Llama Wrangler
  • We shall take over SimNation with fire and blood
    • Simblr (beware spoilers)
Vesta's Reward (Move to Graveyard please)
« on: October 23, 2013, 12:42:59 AM »

Vesta Mab, founder and matriarch of the Moonlight Falls witches, has moved to Sunset Valley to finish her duty of resurrection, and hopes to live out her final days in whatever peace she can. Her twin daughters have grown up, her husband has long since been tragically deceased, and even her best friend, a genie, has her hands full with a growing brood. Alone with her thoughts, Vesta makes her way to the end...

And that makes ten souls returned to the world. I've done my job. Lucky it's the last day of my life. Besides that suspiciously quiet Van Gould man and his family, I've never known anyone to live long after their 97 day. After everything ... I don't have anything left to hold on to. I've made my peace. I'll be with Francis soon.

'Not so soon, I'm afraid. You shall continue to live, as decided by the Mother. She is fond of you.'

'For your success in returning balance to this town and your many sacrifices and losses, we gift you new life. Drink this, rediscover your love, and enjoy a life you were meant to have. Your daughters are proud of you and wish happiness. Their gift to you is waiting for you to find.'

Obviously, I raised my girls to be too giving ... What, is this my new curse; to live in this town without my friends or even my girls to distract me? And just look at my hair - as high as my naivety when I was first this age.

What have my daughters given up to the Mother for me?

Well, there's nothing to be done about it now. I'm free but alone. But also more powerful this time around, so at least there is that. I'll have to figure out what to do now. First, I need scissors and time to figure out what "rediscover your love" means ...

Current Story: Vesta's Reward

Offline ToniSimbot

• Llama Wrangler
Vesta's Reward - Part 2/?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 01:10:46 AM »
- Moonlight Falls; a long time ago -

"Luna, you have to ask for us both. I don't think he likes me."
"Are you nuts?! What's not to like about you, besides your taste in boys? Aren't the quiet twins suppose to be the ones that have all the magic adventures? I'm always grounded!"
"You're grounded because you thought the school needed a swimming pool during midterms. Now talk to the shiny horse, make our wish, and let's go before you get me in trouble."
"Yes, ma'am."
"..."

"It's a selfish wish to ask for our mother. It's not like we really remember him at all and I think that hurts her the most. That's probably why she sent us away;to grieve properly. Give her back our father. Take what you need from us, but give them another chance together. Give her another reason to smile."

"We miss what she told us about him but we're okay now."

"Return him to our mother's arms. We are content with a empty embrace. Just make her happy."

After a couple of days, I fell into a new routine. I started exploring the town, visited the cinema, and just general people-watching. That dark family on the hill seemed familiar - maybe they have family in Moonlight Falls. I still recieved my pension from my retirement, so getting a new job isn't a priority. Finding this gift from my daughters was.

I miss my girls, wherever they are now.

Then I found their gift. It was in town.

"Hey, Ves. I sure did miss you."

Francis.

"You look kinda shocked ... is it my hat?"

They gave me Francis. My girls brought their father back but why?

I promised myself that I wouldn't waste their gift. They didn't get a lot of time with their father and now... they did this. It must have been Artemis's idea; Luna used her powers to break things and torment the Durwood boy. They balanced each other. Luna may have had more control of her powers, but Artemis had better ideas for how it should be used. She preferred to make magic with her paintbrush and guitar. Something in the house was always streaked in paint and explosions with those two...

Anyway, Francis and I started talking over the next few days. I found that he was living with a bunch of the people I brought back from the cemetery. He said that some guy named Erik wanted to thank me what I did.

I've always loved Francis and I didn't want to lose him again.

So I asked him to move in. We may get our happy ending this time.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Nettlejuice

• Baba Gothel
  • Watcher
  • Mother knows best, Rapunzel
Re: Vesta's Reward
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 02:23:06 PM »
Beautiful beginning, I love your use of different effects for the screenshots. It's lovely the girls brought their parents back together again =]
Chant: Life States (TS3) / Immortal Dynasty (TS4)

Mother Gothel & Baba Yaga Enthusiast

Offline ToniSimbot

• Llama Wrangler
Vesta's Reward - Part 3/?
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 10:55:08 PM »
Author's Note: Sorry about the delay. Something needed my attention. Besides that, I needed to finish this file. It's been played to the end and now I need to just write it. I hope you enjoy it.

Francis has been living with me for a few weeks now and if I'm going to take this gift as intended, I don't want to lose him again. It would be a waste to my daughter's memory and sacrifice, whatever it was.

So just like before, I asked him to marry me. It seemed to work last time and it made sense since he still had my last name. To death do us part, even in the netherworld, it seems.

I still has his wand. It felt wrong to purge it after he died last time. As witches, we are connected to our wands; they focus our powers and provide an outlet for magic. In this case, it was the only thing besides our girls that still strummed with a life suddenly gone.

I remember when Artemis was a girl - her magic was stronger than Luna's to the point where she's set her homework on fire if she was stressed. She'd be pretty powerful now, where ever she is. I wonder if she's still wary of her powers...

But it seems that there is some things that magic cannot repair.

Francis has gaps in his memory. He doesn't remember our daughters. Or that we've done this before. I tried to get him to read a book he wrote ages ago, and nothing. He doesn't remember it. It was his masterpiece and he's been editing it! He says it's pretentious and full of inaccuracies.

So to gauge how much of himself was still intact, I tried too ask if he was considering writing the book the way it should be. He laughed, said he wasn't qualified to rewrite an entire book and that he'd rather use his powers to heal people...

It's that thinking that got me stuck resurrecting dead people, so I ended that conversation with a dance party.

I've been holding on to another house in the area for some reason. It felt like I had to. With Francis back in my life, more-or-less in one piece, we've decided to move there. I'm not entirely sure who these people are, but there was a party and they showed up. A few of them kept thanking me. I'd wonder why, but I don't really care.

I have my heart back.

Offline Nettlejuice

• Baba Gothel
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 05:47:23 AM »
It's sad that Francis doesn't remember his previous life or being a writer. Did you post the original story here or somewhere else? I'd love to read it.

Offline ToniSimbot

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 12:28:30 AM »
It's sad that Francis doesn't remember his previous life or being a writer. Did you post the original story here or somewhere else? I'd love to read it.

Vesta and Francis's early story is mostly in my head, sorry. I think I put parts of their daily lives on a simblr (sims tumblr) but it was maybe a year ago and my tags were awful then. I've never written it out online before, but this part just needed an outlet. Depending on how this story goes will determine if I put up up the early parts.

Thanks for being interested in them!

Offline ToniSimbot

• Llama Wrangler
Vesta's Reward - Part 4/?
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 01:44:11 AM »
One of our neighbors has kittens this week and asked if we wanted one.

I've never had a pet before - the house was too crowded and there were too many children to look after and magic to unwind for it to cross my mind. We once had a stray dog die on the patio. Luna and Artemis didn't take to meeting a Reaper very well. Tom was too young to care; I suppose it comes with who his parents are. It's not like genies and vampires have to worry about things like that...

Francis couldn't think of a new name of our kitten and I'll be honest, I drew a blank as well. It was a mundane day so we weren't particularly inspired by anything. So we kept the name he was born with: Turbo. I hope that isn't a hint of what's to come with him.

Oh, speaking of names, I forgot most of the ones that signed up for my bachelorette party. I think it was Ayesha...

Most of them were women who came to the housewarming party so many weeks ago. And clearly they broke into the nectar a little early.

I don't even know who let that guy in, but he was literally the last to leave at nearly six in the morning.

After all the noise and washing off every nectar-covered surface in my kitchen, I just wanted to sleep for a year. But then, of course, the bell rang.

Francis heard from someone named Cornelius about what happened last night. Who are these people and why don't they ever talk to me?

The urge to just sleep in Francis's arms and have him clean the house was really tempting, but first we decided to marry.

It's different now. Being married again. Living in a new town. I kinda miss Moonlight Falls but not enough to move back. Who knows what changed?

Starr, Tom, Luna, and Artemis might not even still live there anymore. Scratch might; Artemis would have definitely moved. The only reason she stayed was for me and her sister. My little artist probably packed it to Bridgeport after I left. Add to the new age thing, it might even mean that my daughters's aren't even alive anymore. I'm biologically younger than my girls were when I saw them last!

I tried to explain this to Francis without coming across like I'd lost my mind, but that's not going to be easy after a slight freak out in the bathroom.

Even when I brought it up again at dinner, he said I should stop reading Game of Trolls before bed.

I love him, even if his brain is full of holes.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ToniSimbot

• Llama Wrangler
Vesta's Reward - Part 5/? [Francis POV]
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 01:37:57 AM »
Stars are truly a wonder to gaze upon. Yes, we know that they're very far away and what they're made of, but they hold a romance to them, no?

It's just a silly thought, but I've held on to it since as long as I can remember: stars are the maps to the universe and time and all that encompass it. When you look at them, take comfort that the ones that love you will see the same stars. They might even look at them the same time you do.

Vesta likes to point out the ones she knows stories to. Old myths and legends. They don't end well. Someone dies and then it's over and where is the fun in that?

Real stories don't end that way. At least, not the ones that mean anything. What about the people left behind? Who tells their stories? Are they forever grieving or do they move on and live?

There is one story Vesta told me, about a man whose wife died suddenly. He went to the ends of the earth to find her and promised everything he had to bring her back from death.

But death was unmoving. Death said that he breaks the rules of the world for no one, no matter how much love was between them.

But the beloved of Death asked for this one favor, for Death has upset her some time ago and she could not think of a way for him to atone. Return this man's wife, she said, and your crime against me shall be pardoned, my love.

Long story really short, the man broke his promise and lost his love to death again. But what if the ending was a lie? What if the man kept his promise and got to live with his heart back with him? Then what happens?

Do they get a happy ever after or do they find that they've always been living on borrowed time? How do you go on knowing that one day, you're hanging out in the Goth's backyard?

If it were me, I'd make sure that the one I love was always happy and smiling. Not everything is in my power, but the least I could do was make it better, if only for a short time. When my time comes, if I go before Ves, I want to know that at least she's not alone and sad.

I only have this life with my best girl. I don't know why she looks so sad when she thinks I'm not looking, but I notice. I know when love is right in front of you and when it's feeling down, you do everything in your power to fix it.

And... well, she's been mumbling in her sleep about kids. I'm fine with it, if she really wants them.

Offline Nettlejuice

• Baba Gothel
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 03:49:08 AM »
Turbo is so cute, I want to cuddle him. It was interesting to see Francis' point of view for the first time. Game of Trolls, haha!

Offline ToniSimbot

• Llama Wrangler
Vesta's Reward - Part 6/?
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 03:12:38 AM »
Turbo has adjusted to the house splendidly. In fact, he marked me a few days ago.

The bond between a witch and her familiar is far more important than any fairy tail will have you believe. They aren't spies or omens of bad faith - they are amplifiers of the natural energies that surround every thing that has ever lived. Cats are just one species that are connected to the forces of the universe as we are, and like any other pet, they dislike watching their family members hurt or fail in their endeavors. In fact, they lend part of their powers to help us with ours. And if we happen to toss part of our dinner over our shoulder at the table, well that's just a good business, isn't it?

He's still young, but Turbo has power enough to allow me to try my hand at a new spell - one I hoped would allow me to see something about my daughters...

Unfortunately, it left me utterly exhausted...

But it gave me the most wonderful visions

To know that Luna and Artemis still have each other; that they find time to laugh with each other, is the best news a mother can know. And Artemis is a mother!

I'm a grandmother, or I would be. I'm not sure. I've tried not to think about what words are right for this.

I wish I could have met that blue-haired young man that Luna apparently married. I didn't recognize him from town and the werewolves in town were too busy in their nonsense fight with the Van Goulds to pay much attention to anything else. I'm absolutely pleased that she's found a love she decided was worthy of her.

My little Luna, who was happier setting the neighborhood boys on fire than trying to sneak a kiss now has a husband of her own...

And I've missed it all.

I would have anyway. But seeing it doesn't make it hurt any less.

I felt sick to my stomach, from sadness or Francis's attempt at breakfast, I didn't know.

But it smelt worse than the crypts and I've made a much better acquaintance with the toilet today than I wanted to.

Offline Nettlejuice

• Baba Gothel
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 03:20:14 AM »
I hope it's a nooboo and not food poisoning!

Offline ToniSimbot

• Llama Wrangler
Vesta's Reward - Part 7/?
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 05:39:18 AM »
"The primary function behind our project is to create a safety net for our future. We understand that busy lives are often dangerous and unpredictable and that sometimes, there aren't enough hands to get the job done..."

An interesting premise. I wonder if this manifesto was sent to anyone else? Hmm.

Still, it's a nice read. I read all the pregnancy books when I was having the girls and I needed something to do. It's getting colder outside and soon winter will be upon us. Francis is off from his teaching post and I don't know if he's implying that I'm the size of a whale but he's been working out a fair bit.

For his sake, I'm just going to think it's an effort to stay warm.

Not that you have that problem, eh sweetie?

It's been some time since we found out we were going to have another baby and like pretty much every milestone in my life since I moved here, it's caused a neighborhood-wide party. I seriously wish I knew how they found out these things...

I blame the mermaid lady.

And then whole someone-is-definitely-following-me feeling only got worse.

"Hello, Miss Mab? We heard you are adding a new member to your family and thought it best to personally send you our congratulations and well wishes!

Of course, that isn't the only reason for our call..."

And then they went on and on and on and by the time I got off the phone, it was time to leave and Francis was waiting outside.

Not that we were missed...

Have I mentioned that I like sleeping? The days go by faster and I know someone's got my back.

Another day spent at the hospital and nothing learned. I'm pretty sure they took the tests and all, but they didn't tell me anything. And I left more tired than I have been feeling already!

At least my magic isn't impaired. Full moon, you know.

You know what I forgot? Labor hurts. Like a lot.

And that anyone in the room is utterly useless in times of crisis

So a waddle down the hall to other bedroom and so much pain later...

we had our son.

Adair Mab, born at 2:05am, on a saturday morning.

It seemed that he brought the first snows of winter with him.

Offline Nettlejuice

• Baba Gothel
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 12:08:36 PM »
Welcome Adair, I hope nothing is wrong with him. Why did she need to visit the hospital for tests? =o

Offline ToniSimbot

• Llama Wrangler
Vesta's Reward - Part 8/?
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 10:33:23 PM »
Good Grim, have we been busy! It's been some time since last we spoke but Adair isn't at fault. He's a quiet child, a bit like Artemis was, and Francis dotes on him more than he did Turbo, which is saying a lot. It's a little hard to see them together and ignore the feeling that something is wrong and I don't mean that my daughters will never know they have a little brother.

I have this horrible feeling in my gut, like a small bubble is churning away inside and no matter how many spells I try, or peppermint tea I drink, I feel sick. Maybe history is going to repeat itself and I'll lose my family again. It's not an idea I'm going to listen to but it's in my nature to listen to the flow of the universe. I'll have to watch carefully...

Francis may not quite understand where I'm coming from with all this, but he's always there when I feel lost. That's really all I can ask for and its nice that I'm not even voicing that I need him so much right now.

The house has been bursting with magic for the last few weeks - I'm getting the house ready for long term use; Francis is practicing his magic in the event that when Adair is older, he'll have someone to practice against who doesn't have the power to raise the dead. Which is why reinforcing all the sinks is an even better idea than just making sure that no one gets electrocuted in the living room again.

Also, Turbo has gotten bigger! He's still a handful but he's still our baby. I wish I knew what was so interesting about the shower but cats are just weird like that.

Turbo isn't the only one whose been getting bigger though. Adair has passed the latest rounds of tests at the hospital and he's a-okay. I didn't want to mention it for superstitious reasons, but now that's it's over, I will.

He had an unusual heart condition. Something like a hole in his heart but caused by some magic force. According to the doctors who specialize in supernatural cases, it may have had to do with the combination of whatever my daughters did for me and how Francis isn't all... there. If I had to guess, I'd say it may be the way he died and how his powers are more or less nonexistent right now. Francis used to be stronger than I am now. But whatever it is, it affected Adair in some way but he's no longer in any danger. He'll be fine from now on, physically. How it affects his magic, if he ends up with any at all, is something we'll have to watch for as he gets older.

At least he's happy.

Offline ToniSimbot

• Llama Wrangler
Vesta's Reward - Part 9/?
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 07:01:55 PM »
I used to wonder, when we first started dating, if Francis would ever stop loving me. There were weeks when I didn't see him because he was busy or with someone else. He was involved with Rainflower Ivy for a bit. Sounds odd, but Rainflower managed to get himself turned into a fairy and I think he wife had died by that time. I turned him into a toad. I wonder if anyone managed to change him back...

Moonlight Falls is witness to stranger things.

But back to Francis. He's charming, smart, and let's be honest, more than just a little good-looking. And after all these years, an extended stay in the Netherworld and some magic from our daughters later, we're still together.

But this cold chill I've been getting hasn't gone away. I wished it would by now. But it's started to cause horrible dreams. They don't even make sense! In one, I'm on a train, going nowhere in particular, when I stop near a large house.

It's a maze inside; turns that go nowhere, junk littered all over the place - it seems to take forever to get anywhere, and yet... I keep looking around.

I finally get to this one room that I feel I have been looking for, and this wash of freezing and terrifying darkness is all I'm aware of. I shouldn't be here.

And that's it. That's all that I ever remember. That dream and waking up terrified.

I'm putting it out of my head. Visions like that are notoriously difficult and it's foolish to try and understand them. It's one thing to see sights in other worlds where there is a connection to guide you, but if this is suppose to be a hint of the future, then there is nothing I can do about it. Trying to influence it in any way will still cause it to happen; the effects might be bigger or less than intended, but the core of it will still come to pass.

One thing I do have control of is the flavor of someone's birthday cake.

And I don't need magic or even Mommy Vision to know how that will go.

Adair starts school soon and thought that painting a portrait of his parents would be a better introduction than giving a small speech about his favorite color. I can't say it's a bad idea. I've heard worse - Luna conjured crickets in the cafeteria for her first day. I'll take a painting over delinquency any day.

anything