Author Topic: Dreams of Sunset: A quick message!  (Read 18578 times)

Offline VioletG

• Llama Wrangler
Re: Dreams of Sunset: Chapter 5 - Making Plans (25/05/14)
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2014, 09:59:45 PM »
This is such a great story. I'm pretty curious to see what Vita's up to now. I wonder how long it will take Nancy and Geoffrey to figure out what really happened ...

Offline jessa14

• Llama Wrangler
  • Call me Jess or whatever :)
Re: Dreams of Sunset: Chapter 6 - France (01/06/14)
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2014, 04:11:54 PM »
“This was an incredibly bad idea,” Nancy said, as the hire car rolled up towards the Chateau du Landgraab. “I should be in Sunset, not skipping around the French countryside. What were you thinking, Geoff?” Her cheerful demeanour had completely evaporated, and she seemed more than a little on edge.

“For the last time, it was your idea!”

“Nonsense! You spent two hours convincing me to come.”

“No, you said that you needed a break and had to persuade me!”

“I said no such thing!”

“Mum, Dad? Does it really matter?” Malcolm asked timidly from the back of the car. Geoff softened.

“Don’t worry Mal. Mum and I are just having a bit of a disagreement, that’s all.”

“Right. Ok. Are we there yet?”

“Very nearly,” Nancy said stiffly, veering off the main road and onto what was little more than a dirt path. “Gosh, these roads are terrible. I didn’t realise this place was so... in the middle of nowhere.”

“You’ve never been?” Geoff asked in bemusement.

“No. Silly really. My Mum was going to take me when I was a kid, but then... Well, anyway, it wasn’t hard to find it on a map. And I think we’re here.”

They pulled up to an old manor house, sat on a hill on its own. It was impressive enough, and looked as though it had stood the test of time.

The three of them got out, and Nancy fished a key out of her pocket.
“You two get the bags out of the car. Apparently there’s a groundskeeper of some sort. I’ll see if he’s in.” She walked off towards the front of the house. Malcolm looked around in astonishment.

“Wow. This place is so cool! And pretty! There’re hills and a river and clouds, and sky, and... Well, we have those at home too. But these ones are extra awesome.”

Geoff grinned. “That good, huh?”

“Yeah! Did you mean it on the plane when you said we could go fishing?”

“Sure. I haven’t been in years, but- Nancy! Stop!” He spun round to see Nancy opening the front door to the house, looking at him strangely.

“Geoffrey? What is it?”

“I... I don’t know. I just had this feeling that something was about to happen.”

“Right,” she said slowly, “Well, everything’s fine here. Grab the suitcases would you?” She shook her head in confusion and pushed the door open all the way.

It didn’t take them long to realise that there was no groundskeeper. The house, despite being mysteriously clean and well-kept, hadn’t been inhabited for sixty years. Much to Nancy’s dismay, Malcolm had been racing around the house, exploring every cupboard and playing with the many antiques that littered the house. Geoff had managed to get the record player in the corner working, and Malcolm was now attempting to ballet dance to some old classical tracks. Geoff was perusing the bookshelves, but Nancy simply stood watching them, feeling a little uneasy for reasons she couldn't quite explain. Perhaps this was the strange feeling Geoff had experienced earlier.

“Mum! Come and do some dancing! It’s really fun!” cried Malcolm, twirling round in circles. Nancy rolled her eyes, and that’s when they heard it.

A low, rumbling sound that seemed to be coming from below the house. It got louder and louder, eventually coming to resemble the sound of crunching gears.

It stopped as suddenly as it started.  Malcolm stared at Geoff and Nancy in terror.

“Mum, Dad? What was that?”

“An earthquake?” Geoff said in bemusement. Nancy went round to the front of the house, but then stopped, unable to believe what she was seeing.

The entire front deck was covered in jets of flame.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Lisa46

• Watcher
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2014, 04:13:43 PM »
Oh gosh. Chateu du Landgraab isn't a good place to be.

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2014, 04:32:47 PM »
Yipes! :o

On a positive note, I love their makeovers for the trip. ;)

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2014, 04:33:34 PM »

And Vita knew about this I'm sure!  ::)
Where there is love - there is life. -- Mahatma Gandhi

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
2. Duty Calls Sequel: Islands of Sunset Valley
3. The Lady of the Lake
4. The Secret Time Traveler

Offline Beezy

• Watcher
  • Corey :)
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2014, 08:16:18 PM »
I read the first chapter and couldn't stop reading. I love the corruption and secrets themes you display throughout the story. The Alto and Landgrabb conflict remind me a lot of House of Cards.

Man, I am certain that the fire was no natural cause.

And, I have a pretty clear idea of who I think the narrator is, but I'm keeping my mouth shut.  ;)

Offline jessa14

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2014, 12:15:13 PM »

I think you just summed that chapter up in a sentence  ;)

Yipes! :o

On a positive note, I love their makeovers for the trip. ;)

Thanks! I figured they needed something new. Besides, none of Nancy's outfits looked even remotely practical for travelling :P

And Vita knew about this I'm sure!  ::)

Nancy would certainly agree with you!  :-X

I read the first chapter and couldn't stop reading. I love the corruption and secrets themes you display throughout the story. The Alto and Landgrabb conflict remind me a lot of House of Cards.

Man, I am certain that the fire was no natural cause.

And, I have a pretty clear idea of who I think the narrator is, but I'm keeping my mouth shut.  ;)

Wow, thank you! I confess I've never seen House of Cards but I'll take your word for it on that :D You'll have to stay tuned for the identity of the narrator... and who's side they're on  ::)

Next time (dramatic music):

Back in Sunset Valley, speculation is rife over why nobody's heard from the Landgraabs in a few days. Meanwhile, River plays matchmaker and there's another new face at the school...

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline butterfly

• Immortal
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2014, 01:03:49 PM »
I'm loving this! The plot, the makeovers, the setting... everything is awesome, can't wait for more!
My TS3 Dynasty: Avilla TDD

Offline Cheezey

• Immortal
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2014, 02:52:44 PM »
Nice update! I'm sure Nancy is thrilled with her relatives leaving the house like that (or was it them... hmmm? ;D ) to nearly barbecue them all.

I'm looking forward to what happens next!

Offline notjustabook

• Townie
  • I'm Louise but you can just call me Louise
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2014, 03:49:28 PM »
Yikes! That's a bit unfortunate.
A nice update as usual - can't wait for more :)

Offline jessa14

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2014, 08:00:29 AM »
Thanks everyone! I'm afraid I'm going to be seriously busy next week and the one after (exams, yay!  :-\) so I don't think chapter 7 will be out until the weekend after next. Sorry about that!  ::)

Offline epemae

• Nooboo
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2014, 12:42:13 PM »
I'm enjoying your story, thanks for sharing it. Good luck on your exams!

Offline jessa14

• Llama Wrangler
Re: Dreams of Sunset: Chapter 7 - A Glimmer of Conscience (29/06/14)
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2014, 01:30:18 PM »
I'm back!  ;D

Nick leant back in his chair and flicked briefly through his emails on his phone before casting it to one side. He picked up a glass of nectar from the table and took a few sips. From downstairs came the sound of the door shutting softly, and Vita’s heels clicking upstairs. She didn’t look at all happy.

“Evening. Lovely weather, isn’t it? My umbrella broke.” She dropped her bag onto the floor and went into the bedroom to change into something that wasn’t soaking wet. Finally, she sat down on an armchair, running her fingers through her hair in an attempt to dry it. Nick glanced out at the sheets of rain falling outside and grimaced. There was a rumble of thunder and the windows creaked ominously.

“The police station’s flooded, City Hall’s leaking in at least twenty different places and we’ve had to close down the autumn festival early. I’ve been running all over town today trying to hold things together.” She examined the bottle of nectar. “This any good?”

“I’ve tried worse, I suppose.”

“It’ll do.” She poured a glass and drained it in a few gulps, then shuddered. “You’ve had worse nectar than this? It’s putrid.”

“Each to their own.”

She raised an eyebrow. “The quality of this stuff really isn’t negotiable. Listen, I had a call from Gunther. He was wondering if we’d heard from Nancy? Apparently she said she’d stay in touch, check up with work every day, and Gunther being Gunther he’s wondering why she hasn’t called.”

“I certainly haven’t spoken to her. Maybe she’s having such a good time in France she forgot?”

“That would be ironic,” Vita said pensively. “Either that, or something’s happened to her.”

“Like what?” Nick’s voice was scornful. “Sorry, but that’s ridiculu-” He stopped, and looked at Vita in amusement. “Vi, you’re not feeling guilty about this, are you?”

“You have to admit, it was a little underhand.”

“Underhand? Since when has that been important? When the Morans arrive they’ll meet us and we’ll have the chance to win them over. If we have to be underhand about it, then why shouldn’t we?”

“All I’m saying is that they left on Saturday. It’s Thursday now and nobody’s had any word from them. That’s not like Nancy at all.”

As if on cue, the doorbell rang.

“I’ll get it!” Holly’s voice echoed up the stairs. Vita heard the door open and Holly’s voice again: “Oh, hi Mrs Landgraab.”

Nick’s eyes widened and he stared at Vita. His meaning was clear: “What’s she doing here?”

They couldn’t hear Nancy’s reply, but Holly came running up the stairs, looking more than a little confused.

“Um, Nancy’s here, and she looks really angry. I mean, seriously angry.”

Nick swore under his breath. “Oh, tell her to come up. May as well get this over with.” Vita pinched the bridge of her nose and sighed.

Holly hadn’t been exaggerating – Nancy was seething with rage. It took her a moment to compose herself.

“I could almost, almost forgive the pair of you conning us and sending us off to France. Oh yeah. We’re not stupid. We worked it out eventually, your little ploy with the text messages. Cute. But the fact of the matter is that you tried to fry us. Me, my husband and my ten-year-old son. It only took Geoff a few hours to disable it, but that’s hardly the point. You really thought this an appropriate measure to take to win this stupid election thing, so you can build Bridgeport mark two?” Her voice rose with every word, and she was clenching her fists.

“Wait, wait,” Nick said quickly. “What do you mean, fry you?”

“That’s right. Play dumb. I’m referring to the flame throwers around the Chateau du Landgraab, you idiot.”

“Flame throwers? Ok, I confess to the text message thing-”

“Just so there’s no mistake, that was my idea,” Vita interjected. Nancy glared at her.

“-but I assure you we had no intention of hurting you or your family.”

“So you’re suggesting that someone else thought that it would be fun to have me incinerated.”

“Well...”

“Here we go,” said Vita, glancing up from her phone. “From the internet, and I quote, ‘Admiral Landgraab the First was well-renowned for his paranoia, and unconfirmed rumours suggest that his house was rigged with defence mechanisms a few months before his untimely demise.’”

“You could have posted that.”

“Why would I? If we’d actually been trying to get rid of you, we wouldn’t be having this conversation at all, for a myriad of reasons, and we wouldn’t need to prove our innocence.”

Nancy pursed her lips, but then stumbled forward, apparently losing her balance. Instinctively, Vita put out a hand to steady her.

“Sorry, sorry,” she muttered. “I haven’t really slept in days.”

“Why on earth not?” Vita asked, sounding genuinely concerned. She gestured to a chair. Nancy regarded it for a moment, and then perched on the edge, wringing her hands.

“Oh, I don’t know. Worried about what might be happening back in Sunset, with you thinking I wouldn’t be coming back? That and trying to book an early flight back. We’ve been in a hotel in Paris most of the week. We only landed a few hours ago, actually.” Her anger was fast giving way to exhaustion.

“And you didn’t call because you knew what we’d done and suspected we were up to something, so you didn’t want to give the game away?”

Nancy nodded.

“Listen, Nancy, for what it’s worth I’m sorry. We’d never have tricked you like that if we’d known we were putting you in danger. Right, Nick?”

His expression said it all, and Vita turned back to Nancy. “Well, I wouldn’t have.”

“So why did you want me gone? If not to, y’know...”

“It doesn’t matter now. Irrelevant.”

“No, it’s not.”

Vita hesitated, apparently wresting with her conscience. “Oh, fine. David Moran, owner of the Sunset Valley Llamas-”

“I may not know much about sports, but I do know who he is.”

“-is moving into town. He arrives on Saturday with his son Lukas and we didn’t want you around to meet him first, so we could, y’know, do some schmoozing and hopefully recruit him to help us out.” Her eyes widened. “I know! We’ll invite them to dinner, and you and Geoffrey can come too. Then we can meet them at the same time we’re even; everything’s fair. Happy?” She spoke quickly, as if trying to finish before she changed her mind.

“Vi!” Nick cried. “Why are you telling her this?”

“Because, quite frankly, Nancy deserves an explanation.”

“What? No she doesn’t.”

“Don’t be ridiculous.”

“I am here, you know,” Nancy said.

“Oh shut up,” Nick snapped, bristling with rage. “You’ve got what you came for, now how about you leave us to it?”

An icy silence descended on the room. Nick narrowed his eyes at Nancy, and she looked away.

“Fine,” she murmured, getting to her feet. With a final, searching look at them both, she left the room. The front door clicked shut beneath them.

“What was that about?” shouted Nick. “Why did you have to go and tell her everything, ruining a month of planning and-”

“Oh, for goodness sake Nick! Is your memory that poor? The Morans are arriving tomorrow. We are having dinner with them tomorrow.”

“You told Nancy it was Saturday,” said Nick, bemused.

“Yes. See what I just did?”

Nick looked at Vita in bewilderment, which quickly turned to admiration as he realised what had happened. “That was quick thinking. Absolutely brilliant, Vi.”

“Nancy’s really going to hate us, isn’t she?” 

“Oh yes,” chuckled Nick, pulling her into a kiss.

Vita wondered if she'd done the right thing. And wondered why she cared.

Chapter 8 is actually finished; it was meant to be part of this chapter but it got too long so I split it. I'll post it in a couple of days  :)

Offline RaiaDraconis

• Crazy Rat Lady
  • Watcher
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2014, 02:06:06 PM »
Whew! I'm glad that the Landgraabs made it out mostly unscathed, if not exhausted d slightly traumatized. Interesting that Vita is showing a bit of remorse though...

Offline notjustabook

• Townie
  • I'm Louise but you can just call me Louise
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2014, 04:05:08 PM »
Good to have you back!
This is just getting more and more interesting. I'm mad about your dialogue - it's so natural without being boring. Excellent work! :)

anything