Author Topic: Vane Glory: An Anti-Hero's Tale - Chapter 1.9: Growing Up Vane [6/28]  (Read 9904 times)

Offline kaseofhearts

• Immortal
Once upon a time, there was a beautiful girl who, much like princesses in many stories, was forced into dire circumstances through no fault of her own.

Hello. I'm Viola Vane. And this is my house. Beautiful, right? You see, it's got a mailbox, and a trashcan and dead grass that's more flammable than hair spray in a fireplace. And a sky that looks like it's always going to rain. It's practically paradise. Let me change into something a little more befitting of my new home.

Oh, is my sarcasm getting all over you? Well, that's too bad. Because, you see. Sarcasm is all I have left now. Sarcasm and my phone.

And we're back to just sarcasm. Now, I wasn't always like this. Pathetic, homeless, clumsy. I used to live in this huge estate, wanting for absolutely nothing.

It was beautiful. Huge television screens, and custom-made modern couches built ergonomically to suit any butt that sat in its cushions.

That's the kind of life you live when you're as lucky as I am. Well, was.

My father, an industrial tycoon, lived for two things: money, and my mother. In that order. Which, you know, is sweet in some weird way. At least she was top two. I was up there somewhere because I always got what I wanted. But that might have been more appeasement through indifference, which I'm starting to think is the more correct opinion.

Still, we were a heck of a family. At least for a while.

There was this one teeny weeny incident where I insulted the son of the CEO of a company my father was trying to make a merger with. Start a merger? Merge a merger? God, I'm going to die out here.

My father was furious. I'm pretty sure it cost him the account. So he told my mother he was going to lay down the law with me. Finally put a stop to my uncontrollable bratty, entitled behavior.

I have no idea what he was talking about. I was totally awesome.

He dragged a trunk full of my clothes (thank god) out to the front of the house and told me a taxi was coming to take me away. I couldn't even believe it! He was kicking me out of the house! On my birthday and everything!

"You're an adult now," he said. "You better learn to act like it." Yeah, well, great job spoiling me for 18 years, fool! I'm pretty much ruined now and it's completely your own fault. It's like he never took Psych 101 or something.

None of those arguments worked very well, so I waited on my trunk for the stupid taxi to arrive. It was only in the back of the car that I learned I was off to some nightmare of a place called Midnight Hollow. It looked just as much like the backlot of a B-Reel Horror Movie from the 60's as it sounded. I wondered if the rejects milling the streets were all sent here as a punishment years ago. It seemed like the only plausible explanation for why the place had anyone in it at all. Midnight Hollow: Where you're abandoned because no one loves you. Man, I should work for a suicide hot-line. I bet the people in this town could freakin' use one.

Well, Happy Birthday, Viola Vane. You have your work cut out for you in this murder village.

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
Re: The Vane Journey: An Anti-Hero's Tale
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 09:21:42 PM »
Squee! Kaseofhearts plus an anti-hero. Love the writing. Will you still be so mercilessly controlling over how sims look? ;)
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline kaseofhearts

• Immortal
Vane Glory: An Anti-Hero's Tale
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 09:28:06 PM »
Squee! Kaseofhearts plus an anti-hero. Love the writing. Will you still be so mercilessly controlling over how sims look? ;)

I am going to SUPER try to let the sims look as they do unless they are potential spouses to heirs. But random, every day sims will live their lives as ugly or EA-Pudding facy as they are born. How embarrassing that I'm known as the superficial simmer!

Offline Malley

• Watcher
  • Simming since 2002
Re: Vane Glory: An Anti-Hero's Tale
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 09:49:43 PM »
Great start!  I am a super sarcastic person in real life so I found Viola's voice pretty funny  :D  Looking forward to more. 

I love that dress that Viola has on in the first photo.  I have a thing for gradient patterns  :)

Offline OldRiverBear

• Is 12% Diabolical
  • Llama Wrangler
  • Don't you....FORGET ABOUT ME!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 09:51:03 PM »
Ooo! A anti-hero legacy? Very intrigued! I like your gorgeous founder and her dripping sarcasm. Want more! Now!
"Whoa, Ok Whoa. No one said nothing about extortion or blackmail ok. Just a simple beautiful Christmas star that if you bought from me right now at a hefty price of $140 would ensure that I don't destroy your house or threaten your family."

Offline brainofivane

• Townie
  • Call me Ivane, not Brain. ;)
    • Chronicles Of Clarke
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 12:28:17 AM »
Oh. Wow. I don't even know where to start...

First of all, Viola is gorgeous - and I love how I can see the resemblance to her parents. The interiors of the house she left was to die for. Did you do all that yourself? If so, *bows to you*. Ah-mazing!

Second, I love her voice. I mean, the situations portrayed in this chapter can come off as quite a drama fest, but you wrote her voice in such a way that made it really... amusing. :)

I also loved the wardrobe change to "better fit her surroundings". I found the hairstyle change especially funny, because yeah... why not spend an hour or two doing an elaborate hairstyle while you're in a huge empty lot in the (arguably) dreariest Sims 3 world there is.

I found it funny that she dropped her phone and all she's got left is sarcasm. LOL. I'm really intrigued by her already and the prospect of an "anti-hero legacy" sounds so fun. This one can go in multiple directions of fun and crazy. :)

Also, I really like the screenshots and how destitute she looks sitting in her big ol' trunk of designer clothes, but since she still has that trunk, I don't feel sorry at all for her. O_o Maybe if she holds a garage sale and sells all her clothes, I'd have more sympathy for her. (But oh the horror for her to sell those clothes, right? How dare I suggest such a thing!)

Ah well... Vane Glory seems like a legacy I will have a lot of fun reading and keeping up with. :)

On a side note, Midnight Hollow is so gray. Whenever I see screenshots of the world, I keep imagining what it would look like to drop a bunch of the stuff from the Katy Perry expansion on it. How horrifying would that be in a clownish, evil carnival kind of way?  :o

Offline kaseofhearts

• Immortal
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 09:56:20 PM »
Great start!  I am a super sarcastic person in real life so I found Viola's voice pretty funny  :D  Looking forward to more. 

I love that dress that Viola has on in the first photo.  I have a thing for gradient patterns  :)

Thanks! I do too. I like the burst of color she puts into the monochromatic town.

Ooo! A anti-hero legacy? Very intrigued! I like your gorgeous founder and her dripping sarcasm. Want more! Now!

Give me twenty minutes and you shall have it!

Oh. Wow. I don't even know where to start...

First of all, Viola is gorgeous - and I love how I can see the resemblance to her parents. The interiors of the house she left was to die for. Did you do all that yourself? If so, *bows to you*. Ah-mazing!

Second, I love her voice. I mean, the situations portrayed in this chapter can come off as quite a drama fest, but you wrote her voice in such a way that made it really... amusing. :)

I also loved the wardrobe change to "better fit her surroundings". I found the hairstyle change especially funny, because yeah... why not spend an hour or two doing an elaborate hairstyle while you're in a huge empty lot in the (arguably) dreariest Sims 3 world there is.

I found it funny that she dropped her phone and all she's got left is sarcasm. LOL. I'm really intrigued by her already and the prospect of an "anti-hero legacy" sounds so fun. This one can go in multiple directions of fun and crazy. :)

Also, I really like the screenshots and how destitute she looks sitting in her big ol' trunk of designer clothes, but since she still has that trunk, I don't feel sorry at all for her. O_o Maybe if she holds a garage sale and sells all her clothes, I'd have more sympathy for her. (But oh the horror for her to sell those clothes, right? How dare I suggest such a thing!)

Ah well... Vane Glory seems like a legacy I will have a lot of fun reading and keeping up with. :)

On a side note, Midnight Hollow is so gray. Whenever I see screenshots of the world, I keep imagining what it would look like to drop a bunch of the stuff from the Katy Perry expansion on it. How horrifying would that be in a clownish, evil carnival kind of way?  :o

Thanks BoI! Booiiii. Like a rapper. Um, ANYWAY. That was a lovely review for such a short intro of mine, but I am very appreciative of it! I was like, OH NO LOL when she dropped her phone six seconds into moving into the lot. I was like, YOU POOR STUPID GIRL.

And no, I wish I did the interiors for that house! It's absolutely beautiful. I downloaded the house as a whole so I could do the back story, and it turned out to be absolutely amazing. I did stage the shots for the pictures/posters of Viola and her family, because she obviously would use her own face as the headboard to her bed.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline kaseofhearts

• Immortal
Re: Vane Glory: An Anti-Hero's Tale - Chapter 1.1
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 10:12:07 PM »
Chapter 1.1: Undermining

So after some completely justified moping, I decided what better way to feel better than by telling my father to suck it. I did a little shopping with the money I found in the pockets of my jeans, and put together a horrible roofless existence.

The worst part about living outside was that I had to endure the summer heat without even the semblance of a pool party or beach to make it worth while.

I don't know if you know, but Viola Vane hasn't sweated a day in her life. And I was furious about having to start. It was like my body was crying for me.

And when I realized that I was going to have to cook for myself,

I decided immediately on a new and brilliant course of action:

Finding myself a nice, rich man to settle down with.

Unfortunately, the idiots of this hell hole didn't make it easy to tell who had money and who didn't. So I thought it would be better to expand the parameters of my search. And the best way to do this was to get a job as a stylist so I could visit people's houses and see how much they could afford to spend on their things.

It turns out that was still no help as the fashion sense of everyone in this town is completely broken. So after each day of searching, I would just return home to my bed, tired, sweaty, and with the suntan of a commoner.

One day, I met a strange, nerdy man who seemed completely taken by me. This is a pretty normal occurrence, and I was about to tell him to screw clean off when he introduced himself as "Todd Landgraab." Any idiot with half a brain knows that the Landgraabs are the richest sims in... well, anywhere. That's why I decided it was a pleasure to meet him.

Even if I was starving. Apparently heads of lettuce don't hold you for very long.

I immediately turned on the charm and poor Todd was lost. He even invited me to his home so I could see what I was working with.

It would certainly do nicely.

I made sure to keep him close.

And without waiting very long at all, I demanded asked him to marry him.

Of course, he was thrilled and more than happy to say yes immediately.

I was the happiest girl in the world. Suck it, Dad. Suck it hard. I barely lived a week in poverty, you smug jerk. Todd was going to give me everything I could ever want.

Wha-...what? How could...? But his family is so rich! His house. His...

"You're not the only one who's not on great terms with their family," Todd said a bit hesitantly. "That's okay, right?"

No! How could this happen! NO!

This was going to be so much harder than I thought.

Offline Malley

• Watcher
  • Simming since 2002
Re: Vane Glory: An Anti-Hero's Tale - Chapter 1.1 [7/16]
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 11:01:06 PM »
Tough luck! Viola found the one Landgrabb that was broke :( Looks like that backfired! Can't wait to see how Viola reacts to that one in the next chapter.

Offline KhaineGB

• Immortal
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 11:36:43 PM »
*bookmark*

Think that's all that needs to be said, really :D

Offline brainofivane

• Townie
  • Call me Ivane, not Brain. ;)
    • Chronicles Of Clarke
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 12:59:04 AM »
Ahahahaha! I'd say Poor Viola, but then can't say she didn't bring herself this grief. Lesson learned: Just because they're a Langdraab doesn't mean they can go all prodigal son and take their parents' fortune with them when they move in with you.

Seeing her fail is oddly amusing. Would be interesting to see if she'll ever learn... and how that learning will come about. Also curious what kind of a mother she'll make. :)

Offline OldRiverBear

• Is 12% Diabolical
  • Llama Wrangler
  • Don't you....FORGET ABOUT ME!
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 06:06:41 PM »
  ;D Viola had her priorities straight until she married a poor man. Now she has a poor, nerdy, skin glowy, and useless husband to yell and insult at. In the end, the only one who's sucking it and sucking it hard is her.
"Whoa, Ok Whoa. No one said nothing about extortion or blackmail ok. Just a simple beautiful Christmas star that if you bought from me right now at a hefty price of $140 would ensure that I don't destroy your house or threaten your family."

Offline Magpie2012

• Tony Brooks fangirl - Jupiter Reaper fangirl too - Pippin fangirl ALWAYS
  • Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 06:48:06 PM »
Oh I am definitely going to be reading this! And waiting with bated breath for subsequent updates!
because... Math *Pippin The Most Tenacious Simmer*

Only 2 things are infinite... The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. *Albert Einstein*

Don't believe all the quotes that have been attributed to me. *Albert Einstein*

I can't ignore ALL of the voices in my head - Some of them actually make sense! *Blayzen*

Offline JudesSims

• Sim Addict - and Proud of It!
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 07:20:10 PM »
I definitely have this bookmarked!  Very entertaining  :D

Offline kaseofhearts

• Immortal
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 09:57:40 PM »
Tough luck! Viola found the one Landgrabb that was broke :( Looks like that backfired! Can't wait to see how Viola reacts to that one in the next chapter.

Even I was like, oh, what is the luck of there being a Landgraab here! She's so lucky. Oh, JK. He's broke. I was planning to have him as the sugar daddy, but it completely changed the trajectory of my story!

*bookmark*

Think that's all that needs to be said, really :D

:) Thank you! I hope it stays interesting for you!

Ahahahaha! I'd say Poor Viola, but then can't say she didn't bring herself this grief. Lesson learned: Just because they're a Langdraab doesn't mean they can go all prodigal son and take their parents' fortune with them when they move in with you.

Seeing her fail is oddly amusing. Would be interesting to see if she'll ever learn... and how that learning will come about. Also curious what kind of a mother she'll make. :)

Ugh, those tricky fake Landgraabs will get you every time. We'll see if Viola ever learns. She doesn't seem like the type to be very self-aware.

;D Viola had her priorities straight until she married a poor man. Now she has a poor, nerdy, skin glowy, and useless husband to yell and insult at. In the end, the only one who's sucking it and sucking it hard is her.

SHe'll have to figure out ways to get back on top. Being on the bottom doesn't really seem her style.

Oh I am definitely going to be reading this! And waiting with bated breath for subsequent updates!

Thank you! An update is soon on its way!

I definitely have this bookmarked!  Very entertaining  :D

Thanks! :)

Thank you all for your comments! I really appreciate the dialogue and the compliments.

anything