Author Topic: EA to give out The Sims 2 - Ultimate Collection for free!  (Read 17884 times)

Offline Turoskel

• Watcher
Re: EA to give out The Sims 2 - Ultimate Collection for free!
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 02:36:31 PM »
So a little update, I have been keeping an eye out for news they said would be coming for people with disc copies today, well instead of an option to register your old game they put up a code for everybody to get a copy for free, it's valid until the 31st of this month so if you never played and feel like trying it out now is your chance.

Instructions are here:
http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-get-the-sims-2-ultimate-collection/

Offline bubbles

• Dynasty Novice
  • Watcher
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 05:19:13 PM »
I've just downloaded it and I am looking forward to trying it out. I played The Sims 2 for a few months but only had one or two expansions. Because I'm on holiday, I can't play it yet but I'm looking forward to having a go. It's very easy to get your copy online, it literally took me 30 seconds!
Bubbles's Workshop
Friends are like potatoes; if you eat them, they die. My friends friend.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 06:00:16 PM »
If you're on Origin, it's very easy to get. And I would recommend trying it, if you never played the Sims 2. The Sims might look a bit odd after TS3, but it is fun. People who think they can't live without CASt and an open world might be surprised (although I still keep looking for the mapview button).
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline KhaineGB

• Immortal
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 06:24:40 PM »
Only thing I had to do was mod the Graphics Rules file because my graphics card is unsupported.

Now it runs at 1600x900 and looks surprisingly good for a game of this age! :D

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 07:04:08 AM »
So a little update, I have been keeping an eye out for news they said would be coming for people with disc copies today, well instead of an option to register your old game they put up a code for everybody to get a copy for free, it's valid until the 31st of this month so if you never played and feel like trying it out now is your chance.

Instructions are here:
http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-get-the-sims-2-ultimate-collection/

Anyone have trouble with this? I downloaded it easily enough, but when I hit play it asks for a registration code. There is a code already in the field, but when I hit done, it just spins for a bit and then asks again for the code. If I hitdon't continue, it tells me the code is invalid for this product.

**Update.   Contacted the live chat support and the helpful fellow deactivated what seemed to be a glitched code and isssued me with a new code that actually works. Better not start playing now, or I'll be up all night lol
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2014, 08:36:59 AM »
I downloaded mine also, but it only gives one resolution and it is way too big.  I have an integrated graphics card and have tried tweeking it, but if someone has any other suggestions, that would help.  I could probably play it like that, but the bar takes up a third of the screen. I know others have had this problem, but can't seem to find the solution.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline bubbles

• Dynasty Novice
  • Watcher
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2014, 08:47:14 AM »
I downloaded mine also, but it only gives one resolution and it is way too big.  I have an integrated graphics card and have tried tweeking it, but if someone has any other suggestions, that would help.  I could probably play it like that, but the bar takes up a third of the screen. I know others have had this problem, but can't seem to find the solution.
I found a solution on SimsVIP when looking for Sims 4 updates. Lots of people have been reporting the game being stuck on 800x600. Try following the instructions and see where it gets you.
Bubbles's Workshop

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline KhaineGB

• Immortal
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 03:55:55 PM »
I have a modified file to enable the resolutions.

If anyone wants it, just send me a PM and I'll either try and attach it or e-mail it over. :) It enables everything from 800x600 to 1600x900 (my laptops resolution). If you want/need a custom file, let me know.

Offline sims96fan

• Occult
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2014, 10:01:57 PM »
There are still some issues that the SimsVIP fix doesn't resolve.  I don't know if it's against the rules to post tech support for the Sims 2, but since we're in the Babble Board, I'll post what I found that worked with Windows 8.1.  If it's inappropriate, moderators may feel free to remove it. :)

To fix your screen resolution, what you do is this from the link below:

http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5446&pid=24463#pid24463

Go to Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\Config\
(or where you set up your game under Program Files\Electronic Arts)
Copy and paste the original Graphics Rules.sgr file somewhere as backup.
From the leefish link above, download the appropriate RAR file for your integrated graphics and in Windows Explorer, right-click and open to extract the Graphics Rules.sgr file.
Copy and paste this new file into the Config directory above (I think you only need it in Config, not CSConfig too, but if it doesn't work try both).

Now open this Graphics Rules.sgr file with Notepad.
Ctrl-f "simpleterrain" without the quotes and set to false.  This occurs in 3 places.

http://simsvip.com/2014/07/20/the-sims-2-ultimate-collection-increase-resolution-guide/
From this link, follow step 3 (change seti Low, Medium, High all to 3).
Ctrl-f "ScreenModeResolution" without quotes and change ALL of the settings (low, medium, mediumdefault, high) to match step 5 in the link above.

Open the game and after loading a neighborhood, under the options button, click on "Graphics/Performance Options".  Change screen size to 1920x1080 (or desired max resolution) and set "smooth edges" all the way down to more.  Apply changes.

**Follow step 1 and step 4 under the leefish link to check the config log file (under My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Logs) for boolProp enumerateMultisampleLevels true (antialias on) and check the Pleasantview neighborhood in game to see that the beach area appears smooth.  In the config log file, check that Texture memory is NOT 32Mb (Windows error).  It should be over 1000 Mb.

Hope this helps. :)

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2014, 01:10:32 PM »
I know it's not Sims 3 related but I thought others might be interested in this anyway.

EA is giving away copies of The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection on Origin until 31 July, if you fancy that game in your collection. Originally, this was a promotional offer only for those who previously owned The Sims 2 (support for that particular version was ending, so EA in an uncharacteristically charitable gesture just gave everybody Ultimate Collection copies.)

Now, EA just wants everybody to have The Sims 2. Apparently, the Ultimate Collection is a bundle of all the Sims 2 expansion packs so you should have everything ever released for that version of the game.

To redeem your freebie copy, you’ll need an Origin account and the ability to type.

- Start by downloading and installing Origin. If you already have Origin you can skip to step 3.
    - Not an Origin member? Create a free Origin Account to get in the game.
    - Launch Origin and log into your Origin Account.
    - From the ‘Games’ tab in the Origin menu, select ‘Redeem Product Code’ and enter the code I-LOVE-THE-SIMS

If you’re already an Origin member, you can also redeem your code online. Just visit the Origin code redemption page and log in to your Origin Account. Then enter I-LOVE-THE-SIMS in the ‘Product Code’ field.
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2014, 10:45:03 PM »
I believe this had already been posted. I'm on my phone, though, and can't check.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2014, 10:59:46 PM »
It has been. I'm merging it with the main thread on the TS2 promotion.
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline callycat

• Occult
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2014, 06:26:54 AM »
I think it's only until the end of the month, but if you choose 'Redeem Product Code' in Origin and put in I-LOVE-THE-SIMS you will get Sims 2 with all expansions included free.
[they/them pronouns please]

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2014, 07:07:36 AM »
We have a thread foor this announcement already, I'll merge this with it.
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline bubbles

• Dynasty Novice
  • Watcher
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2014, 01:30:18 PM »
I'm currently downloading my copy of the game. I registered the day it came out but I've only just got home. The game is 40% downloaded and so far I've been waiting about 30 minutes. Hurry up laptop, I want to play!
Bubbles's Workshop

anything