Author Topic: Bug Thread for Server Move  (Read 9421 times)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
Bug Thread for Server Move
« on: July 19, 2014, 12:46:52 PM »
Post any issues related to the recent server move here. If you're seeing this, you are on the new server and may begin using the Forum as usual.

Edit: Just a reminder, there may be little moments where the site says it's unavailable - it will usually become available again within a minute, usually seconds. This is because when I make a change, I must restart the software that runs the Forum.

Offline KhaineGB

• Immortal
Re: Bug Thread for Server Move
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 01:23:01 PM »
So far, so good.

Can edit my profile, forums seem to be working, sent you a test PM with no errors, nice and fast...

Fingers crossed!

EDIT: Who's online works, edit post function seems to work, as does reply... obviously. :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 01:45:03 PM »
Appreciate the PM test, the old one was completely broken. So far so good here. I'm still working out some kinks with it, though it does seem speedy as you say. I ran some tests last night and the old server had a wait time of almost 1 second before it would even start sending, while this one was hitting in the 100ms range, so 1/10th the wait time.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 01:53:01 PM »
Just a note on speed. Members with < 25 Posts have the top ad, so it will always drag speed down a bit as it must be loaded before the rest of the Forum body. For those who have made it to the post-count required to disable ads, it should be very reliable and fast. I DO expect some kind of issues to pop up, although I could be wrong :)

Offline KhaineGB

• Immortal
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 02:31:55 PM »
I'll keep poking at it. I'm good at breaking things.

Offline symphonicanima

• Nova Salerix
  • Llama Wrangler
  • Origin ID: symphonicanima
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 03:29:56 PM »
Refreshed Tapatalk a couple of times and I saw this- glad to know the new server is up and running, and rather smoothly, too! I've been messing around with the app and so far, so good. (At least, on the iOS end!)

However, the bug I mentioned previously about being kicked and forced to log in again after clicking on a thread, then clicking either "view unread posts" and "view new replies to your posts" is still there. I'd like to add that when that bug happens, I'm using Safari to manually access the site, and I'm using an iPod Touch 4G (which admittedly is breaking down software wise over the years I've had it and crashing apps is pretty normal, so that may be a factor).

Otherwise, super fast and super smooth loading times- it's looking good, Carl!

Offline symphonicanima

• Nova Salerix
  • Llama Wrangler
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 03:33:47 PM »
Oh oops. Found a page where Tapatalk can't load a page at all due to error 2203 (The operation can't load). Found it on the unread section of the app.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline JudesSims

• Sim Addict - and Proud of It!
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 04:18:05 PM »
Oh oops. Found a page where Tapatalk can't load a page at all due to error 2203 (The operation can't load). Found it on the unread section of the app.

I'm having this same issue on my ipad.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 04:40:15 PM »
I've just updated Tapatalk. How is it working?

Offline KhaineGB

• Immortal
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 04:41:34 PM »
Domain name has propagated for me, finally. :)

Was using the direct IP before.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 04:58:40 PM »
Mine keeps going back and forth to the point I have to use the IP to ensure I'm on the right server for now.

Offline symphonicanima

• Nova Salerix
  • Llama Wrangler
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 05:18:15 PM »
Huh, the domain name works perfectly fine for me. Seems like Tapatalk is working fine again for me, think the unread error is indeed fixed. Thanks Carl!

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 05:34:15 PM »
Whew, that's a relief. I'm clearing up a couple issues with comments forms on the Guides, then it looks like I'll be done until someone finds another problem - and please do report it if you do!

Offline KhaineGB

• Immortal
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 05:49:31 PM »
All in all, I'd say that was a pretty smooth move.

Nice job, Carl! :) I know I would've messed it up a couple of times... SQL hates me.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 05:51:42 PM »
SQL used to scare me, but I've come a long way and get those files transferred, make edits carefully and find that I'm a lot more comfortable using it these days. Linux overall is a headache when you don't use it for your main machine. There are commands you type only once a year, so looking them up to use them again is time-consuming. Also, formatting  ???

Offline JudesSims

• Watcher
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2014, 07:06:30 PM »
TapaTalk is working fine for me now. Thanks, Carl!

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2014, 07:40:06 PM »
On mobile, I kept getting errors when logging in to the regular site (said I had an incorrect username when I didn't). Tapatalk is working well, though!

Haven't tried it on my proper laptop yet.
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 08:19:16 PM »
However, the bug I mentioned previously about being kicked and forced to log in again after clicking on a thread, then clicking either "view unread posts" and "view new replies to your posts" is still there. I'd like to add that when that bug happens, I'm using Safari to manually access the site, and I'm using an iPod Touch 4G (which admittedly is breaking down software wise over the years I've had it and crashing apps is pretty normal, so that may be a factor).

I changed the way SMF stores Cookies and wonder if that might have helped.

Offline symphonicanima

• Nova Salerix
  • Llama Wrangler
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 08:32:44 PM »
Seems like everything's working just fine now, Carl! Thanks! :)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2014, 10:00:02 PM »
That's great to hear. I'm taking a break from this job to let some reports pile up. I'm aware of issues with comments so just disabled them for The Sims 3 site. Hopefully, things are as smooth as we think and the job is largely done. More and more people should be propagating here as time goes by. I only recently got www to lead me here, it only worked without.

I'll pop up in this thread if I'll be tinkering, so that people know I'm aware (and the cause) of any stability issues.

Offline _Annika_

• Immortal
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2014, 12:57:47 AM »
I forgot my password and tried clicking the link to send me a password, using both my username and my email adress, but the reset email did not show up. Thankfully I found out how to find my browser's stored passwords. Otherwise I had no idea how to contact someone to send an email to get it reset. I'm not sure if this is because of the new server or not though.

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2014, 02:06:53 AM »
I've noticed that we haven't had any new members join since your testing one Carl. I wondered if maybe there was some sort of problem because we usually get a number of new members each day. I was going to use my second email to just try the process, but it won't let me log out of this account, comes up with the message...

Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again.
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline _Annika_

• Immortal
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2014, 03:04:12 AM »
I had that message come up a couple of times when I tried too soon to send the reset email again.

Offline Twinmum

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2014, 05:08:37 AM »
OK, it's letting me log out now, in fact it's logging me out every time I leave the page or close my browser. I'm having to log in every time I come here even though I have it set to be logged in forever. I did try to start a test account but I'm still waiting for the email to finalize things, but that could just be because it's a different email that I have re-directed to my main account. Another thing, I don't think it's sending out email notifications when someone replies to a thread.

**update. Still no email to verify the test account. I even tried to log on and it told me i needed to verify my email, so I requested another email be sent, but it hasn't arrived either. Waiting for someone to reply in one of the threads I'm following to see if it does or doesn't send out a notification.

**extra edit.. nope, not sending emails notifications when someone has replied to a thread
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2014, 11:20:45 AM »
*sigh* I really like Google, but when I login to the nice Forum email I made to send these notifications and they call it spam, I have to take them down a peg. It wasn't allowing any emails to be sent at all, and continuing to use their service would be risking that happening again. Therefore, I'll have to look at the server and set up an email program for the Forum.

Edit: Scratch all I wrote. Ok I've got it backward. I'd Enabled cookies on your end. So if you're getting logged out now, it's because your cookies are off. Search how to turn cookies on for your particular browser and see if it's a fix? This will at least guide me in a direction for a fix. I MAY have to go back to how it was, where the cookies were stored on the server side, but it's less efficient, particularly for mobile users.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2014, 01:35:36 PM »
I myself was just logged out from the cookie thing, so I'm afraid your problem may be back, symphonicanima. Let me know.

I think it's possible emails are being received now. My test account just got its confirmation email reminder. I just set up an account with a provider that lets me send thousands of emails per month, without bogging down our server. The price is worth it for reliable sending. So let me know, else I need to get on more configuration.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2014, 02:24:24 PM »
Mods and myself are getting Notifications, so all is well with the email system :)

Now the only thing that I know of as an issue is potential problems for mobile users who are getting logged out, as symphonicanima described. When I use the other option in config, we are all subject to log out and telling people to use cookies constantly would be a pain. I am hoping that issue is still fixed for you, but will investigate further if it's not. I can't promise it's anything I can even fix though, given it could have something to do with security settings.  Sometimes phones won't even let you change those within their browsers.. in fact, I'm sure most don't.

Offline smartburn

• Occult
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2014, 02:29:40 PM »
Good to know about the cookie thing, I might enable them for this site if that helps.

I had to log in twice within the last 16hrs or so - the first time it was set to "forever", but this recent login listed 60min as the default and didn't provide any other options under a drop-down menu. I didn't try changing the number of minutes though. Anyway, no big whoop, luckily this site has one of the passwords I can remember. :P

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2014, 02:36:10 PM »
Tried changing a setting that affects when a session times out, that makes it more like 6 hours, which should help. This is different from the option you  get when logging in and may be the cause. It was also set to 60 minutes. I myself hate these logout issues, and it happens when going from carls-sims-3-guide.com to www.X  as they count as two different servers. Given the domain has propagated for most people now, I felt comfortable to force us all back to www.carls-sims-3-guide.com for consistency.

Offline symphonicanima

• Nova Salerix
  • Llama Wrangler
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2014, 03:42:45 PM »

I myself was just logged out from the cookie thing, so I'm afraid your problem may be back, symphonicanima. Let me know.

I just realized that I had set Safari to never accept cookies instead of from visited- whoops! I changed my settings back for that and played around to test it, the logout issue doesn't appear to be coming back. Sorry for the trouble from my oversight, Carl. :( Though, I think the issue really might be allowing browsers to store cookies, though I'm not certain of the validity of this theory since I don't know too much about it.

Still, it appears that storing cookies on the server for such a large amount of Forum members really does seem inefficient...

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2014, 05:21:40 PM »
Yeah, it's inefficient though not a burden. I think that if turning on storage helped you now, then the Forum must be saving on both ends. Thankfully, it's not a major thing disk-space wise, which is the only consumption involved - even with 10x the members, we'd be fine with this setting. Either way, glad your problem didn't come back! That's great, as it means many others out there won't have this issue in the future, and we know what to say if they do.

Offline KhaineGB

• Immortal
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2014, 08:04:14 PM »
Got auto-logged out on my laptop (Windows 7, Google Chrome, cookies set to store locally).

To be fair, I checked the site about 10am and just now (1am), so something might have changed. My phone logs me out all the time (I use Google Chrome on that too rather than Tapatalk).

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2014, 08:30:49 PM »
And this is with the browser remembering the password, or not? With that on, every time I visit here I'm always logged in. However, since 10am I forced all visits to go to www.carls-sims-3-guide.com where it was originally pointing to non-www.  Also, I changed the cookie name so it may require you to have the new one in place (this should happen automatically). Maybe one of those is the difference that caused the issue. Let me know how it goes.

I don't think the login forever is really meant to always detect your pc and auto-log you without a password, though that sure seems to be what it implies when we choose 'forever'.  I am not 100% clear on the mechanics of that though, as I've never researched them in-depth. It just seems to be a bad idea to make forever the default when someone might log in at a library or something, if it were really going to treat it that way. I think the session could expire with the browser open (inactivity), if you chose 1 hour, whereas forever would prevent the session from expiring with only the browser closing causing it to expire.

Offline KhaineGB

• Immortal
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2014, 08:50:41 PM »
That could be it then.

Yes, both browsers set to remember passwords and cookies. I'm about to go to bed (2am, at a metal festival all day, absolutely exhausted!) so I'll monitor it tomorrow and report back :)

EDIT: I think "forever" is supposed to set a non-expiring cookie, whereas other options will set them to expire after X amount of time. At least that's how it was explained to me... oooooh... 12-14 years ago. So I might be mis-remembering.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2014, 08:58:03 PM »
EDIT: I think "forever" is supposed to set a non-expiring cookie, whereas other options will set them to expire after X amount of time. At least that's how it was explained to me... oooooh... 12-14 years ago. So I might be mis-remembering.

There we have it, a great explanation. Thanks.

Offline JudesSims

• Watcher
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2014, 10:51:22 PM »
I don't know is this is a server issue or not but...when someone quotes someone else's post, TapaTalk shows the code with the quote. This is only happening with my ipad not my iPhone. I thought I should tell you just in case it's important to you.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2014, 03:01:55 AM »
My phone logs me out all the time (I use Google Chrome on that too rather than Tapatalk).

I think that's some sort of issue with Chrome. I get exactly the same thing too sporadically. Just constant refreshing helps. ;)

I don't know is this is a server issue or not but...when someone quotes someone else's post, TapaTalk shows the code with the quote. This is only happening with my ipad not my iPhone. I thought I should tell you just in case it's important to you.

Obviously I'm not Carl ( ;) ) but it sounds like an issue with TapaTalk if it's only happening on your iPad. :)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2014, 08:36:25 AM »
They recommend reinstalling tapatalk to correct that, so I'm working on it.

Edit: No way for me to tell right now if that worked. You'll have to let me know.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2014, 09:17:24 AM »
Ahhh.. it feels really good to knock out the last problem on my end - comments causing a hanging page that would make a person think their comment wasn't received. At that, I was able to reopen comments on the Sims 3 Guide as well as my Civ 5 Strategy Site.  If tapatalk isn't working, I'll be able to test it tomorrow with my kindle and see if I can get it working 100% correctly. 

Thank you all for your patience. I know it's been a bumpy ride this past weekend, but I believe I am done now. It was definitely worth it to give us some room to grow, as well as possibly preventing us from being overwhelmed when The Sims 4 launches.

Offline JudesSims

• Watcher
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2014, 10:31:37 AM »
A reinstall of TapaTalk fixed the issue!

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2014, 01:53:28 PM »
Oh my, that's a relief... because if it hadn't, I would have had to do some configuration on the server - those should be easy to install :) Thanks for letting me know.

Offline KhaineGB

• Immortal
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2014, 06:40:03 PM »
Just had a popup to download img.php.

That's... not very normal. ;)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2014, 06:54:44 PM »
What were you doing when this happened? Has this happened to anyone else? It sounds like a parsing error but in order to know where to look for a problem, I'd need to know the forum activity that caused it.

However, it could simply be a bad ad unit (all members have the bottom ad) that caused it to offer to download, rather than use img.php to render the advertisement. If you get that (and it's a real download obviously from the forum), then do download, don't open, and email/attach it to [email protected] so I can investigate further.

Hopefully it was an isolated incident.

Offline KhaineGB

• Immortal
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2014, 06:59:09 PM »
Literally booted up the laptop, opened chrome and navigated to the forum home page.

Offline KhaineGB

• Immortal
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2014, 01:46:48 AM »
Just a small one.

The tapatalk icon doesn't show in "Who's Online" anymore. :)

EDIT: Also in Who's Online, the Yahoo! Instant Messenger icon is gone as well.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2014, 03:07:20 PM »
They update rather frequently, so I'm hoping to have that fixed, along with the fact that there's no tapatalk section in my admin panel. It's not their fault, our Forum is just heavily customized with plugins, so it doesn't know what to do on certain files. I'll get it corrected, hopefully, on the next update.

Offline KhaineGB

• Immortal
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2014, 04:04:38 PM »
Ok! It's only a cosmetic thing, but wanted to make sure you knew :)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2014, 05:15:14 PM »
Always appreciate that - I didn't know myself, and I need to know of every little problem so that I can possibly fix it. Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread, we are running pretty smoothly right now.

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2014, 09:45:51 PM »
Sense the server change the site will load fast for a few pages then I'll try to open a page and it just sits there trying to load and never does. I can usually leave the site for a few minutes and come back and everything will be fine again for 3 or 4 pages then it gets stuck again.
This is happening to me in both Firefox version 31 and Internet Explorer 11. I never had this problem until the last few days. I thought it would straighten out after the move was complete but so far it hasn't.
Has anyone else been having this problem?
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

Offline KhaineGB

• Immortal
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2014, 01:17:27 AM »
Only when using my WiFi. When direct-wired to my router, I'm fine.

But when the problem does start, it is only these forums. Facebook and other things still work fine.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2014, 08:58:19 AM »
If changes I made last night didn't fix it, I'll have to go further, so let me know.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2014, 09:25:54 AM »
Had to do an actual reboot, sorry for the glitchiness. I need to try configurations each day to maximize performance, so this will happen about once a day. Thankfully, it is less than 3 minutes' downtime.

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2014, 11:49:05 AM »
If changes I made last night didn't fix it, I'll have to go further, so let me know.

What ever changes you made help with Internet Explorer. It's zipping through the forum real fast. Firefox is still hanging after a few pages for some reason. But it might just be me. I don't know. I can just use IE when I come here.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2014, 04:47:07 PM »
Thanks.. I'll do some testing with Firefox and see if I can reproduce the issue. It's hard, as it may be just random moments when there are a dozen or more people accessing something at one exact moment.

To all: I need to know of ALL hanging issues, anything with regards to "waiting on www.carls-sims-3-guide.com", blank pages, or stalling. If it is waiting on ads, that's outside my control, but when it says specifically that it's waiting on THIS site, it's a problem with the server config. This server is using entirely different means of sending files, so it's a learning process for me and does require some tuning and experimentation on my end.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2014, 04:09:54 PM »
I would expect the issue with Firefox has cleared up. I've done some tuning and the server has never been in better shape. If it's still happening, it's not anything I'm able to see - we actually have extra resources for once. At one point, the last server had less than 100mb of RAM left to utilize :O

I am going to see how this keeps going, but may attempt installing a different server application before Sept. 2 but will let everyone know if that's the case. There are some that are absolutely amazing in speed and reliability, though new compared to the old one we've used all along.

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2014, 02:03:56 PM »
I was still having a problem with Firefox stalling out when loading pages but I have it resolved now. I reset Firefox and everything is working great now.
If anyone else is having the same problem reseting Firefox may help you also. Follow the instructions given on this Reset Firefox page.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2014, 03:04:58 PM »
I also use Firefox.  I've been having problems for a few weeks, so I'm not sure whether it coincides with the server migration.  I get hanging but also flickering/flashing, which can get quite disturbing at times.  I'll try the reset and see whether it helps.

Offline Twinmum

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2014, 11:59:44 PM »
Not sure if it's related to the server or what, but when I'm posting and I click the spell check button, all that happens is a new window pops up with nothing in it. I even deliberately spelt something wrong and nothing happened.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2014, 04:35:49 PM »
Thanks for the report. I configured the server to use spell-checking, but it appears our theme on the Forum doesn't support it. I wanted to allow it, but given modern browsers tend to have that, I'm disabling it so that no one bothers clicking just to see the blank screen. I was hoping it would work for some people, but it doesn't appear to be working for anyone.

@hazelnut  - did the reset of firefox settings help you? Given the move to a new IP, things could be very strange with cached data in a browser. Anyone with trouble should try that first. After a month, these issues should clear up as the info cached is only set to last for 30 days.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2014, 02:43:44 PM »
@hazelnut  - did the reset of firefox settings help you? Given the move to a new IP, things could be very strange with cached data in a browser. Anyone with trouble should try that first. After a month, these issues should clear up as the info cached is only set to last for 30 days.

So far, it seems quite promising but I haven't been online much in the last few days.  I'll let you know...

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2014, 12:21:55 PM »
Sorry for the double post but I wasn't sure whether an edit would be noticed.  I'm still having problems.  It appears to be related to Flash Player crashing but doesn't seem to be happening on other sites.  Yesterday and today, it went into flickering mode again and just now I had to switch off my computer with the on/off button because even Ctrl+Alt+Del wouldn't stop it hanging - although my dying hard drive may be partly responsible.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2014, 04:45:43 PM »
Some of our ad partners use flash, of course, for animations and such. I'm sorry that bottom ad.is triggering it for you, when it's meant to be out of the way. A dying hard drive would definitely lock up that way, upon reading flash or some other program. I had that exact problem last year. When it's affordable to fix, I recommend newegg.com or amazon, as they can both net you a good terabyte hard drive for around fifty bucks.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2014, 05:55:24 PM »
Thanks for the advice: I'll bear it in mind.  It could really do with a RAM upgrade as well.  Might be simpler just to buy a new computer ???.

Offline Twinmum

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2014, 03:08:15 AM »
Not sure if this is a problem with the server or it's on my end or what, but today whenever I get an email to tell me someone has replied to a thread, the link doesn't work. I click either link to view the thread or the link to unsubscribe and all I get is a white page with the message "Internal Server Error."