Author Topic: Sims 4 Guides  (Read 39447 times)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
Re: Sims 4 Guides
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 01:18:00 AM »
Angry gardening bump.

< br/>
Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 02:02:58 AM »
Next, I will work with a career, then go back to Gardening on Wednesday. I need a break from that after what happened. I would appreciate if anyone  who is a gardening fan ends up sharing locations where they found the missing 8 plants. I may not even find them when I go back wednesday.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 02:51:49 PM »
I just moved the Sims 3 Corrections board to the graveyard, as there is no chance of getting me to work on that site given the project ahead. After that and correcting a permissions issue which was breaking avatar uploads, I'm off to try and work on that plant list.. I guess I can't leave it incomplete, and my frustration from last night has died down a lot :)

Offline MarianT

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 09:45:29 AM »
There seem to be quite a number of objects and actions that influence emotions -- it's not just paintings and the plumbob lamps; apparently certain teas have an effect, and there are different showers. Do you want to set up an Emotion thread for people to report these, so that you and Metro and Pam don't have to try and find out everything on your own?
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 03:03:32 PM »
I was noticing this myself.. Take Thoughtful Shower helps Sims get inspired, and certain traits make these emotions more likely. Setting up a topic is a good idea.

Edit: looks like someone else already did :) Grateful to Andeleisha for getting it started.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 11:26:46 PM »
I just finished publishing Painting and wanted to do the Career at the same time, but it will be several more hours and I want sleep :) I'll publish that tomorrow, along with the first Aspiration page so that I can give Pam and Tom an idea of the formatting I'd like to use.

This skill is very lucrative, just as it was with TS3 - particularly when you stack things in your favor by joining the career and purchasing a couple of key Rewards.

< br/>
Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Dellena

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 05:32:29 AM »
Carl,

Is the link at the top left "Carl's The Sims 4 Guide" supposed to go to the Guide or the forums?

Offline WickedSimmer87

• Occult
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 07:08:55 AM »

Painting Skill Guide - New

Carl, the link to "painting skill guide" in your very first post, leads to gardening guide for me  ::)

Offline dnagirl

• Townie
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 08:15:47 AM »
Carl, the link to "painting skill guide" in your very first post, leads to gardening guide for me  ::)

Yes, for me as well.

Offline Ginj

• Occult
  • There's a dance in the old dame yet
    • Desjardins Story - A Sims 4 Legacy Challenge
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 10:25:28 AM »
Zaiden Bermudez found a pomegranate in one of the dig spots at Willow Creek's park.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 02:57:03 PM »
Thanks for the head's up, I was a bit tired last night posting that and it's no surprise to me that something was wrong.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 03:12:38 PM »
Carl,

Is the link at the top left "Carl's The Sims 4 Guide" supposed to go to the Guide or the forums?

The Guide.

Dellena

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 04:05:55 PM »
Mine goes to the forum.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 04:20:37 PM »
I did not implement the link in all designs. The Forum default is technically the greengrass Theme. I had contemplated removing the other themes, as it requires a lot of work to put in a new plugin or some design change to all of them, and you have just 2-3 people using some of those Themes.

Edit: I fixed it. I"m removing the other themes, such as yem yesil.. no one is using it. I will not remove the one you are currently using.

Dellena

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 04:29:36 PM »
Ok, I'll swap back to the greengrass theme.  I just like the blue but I can live with it.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 04:30:01 PM »
Nope, don't bother. Just edited my post above :)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 12:47:13 PM »
I just updated the Gardening Guide with where to find Tomato. It is in Oasis Springs up the road from Slipshod Mesquite (the home that looks like a trailer) in a planter box. There is a screenshot to help locate it. I have a feeling these plants are not random at all and it is going to be very tedious to find all the rares.

Edit: Having looked all over the world, I realize the way to get the rest of the rares is likely to combine this with that.. I'm going to have to set up some method to test each possible combination and figure out what is unlocked. I want the Gardening guide to be good, so this is going to take a while..

Offline jen2912

• Townie
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2014, 01:42:19 PM »
Carl,

I have made a list of the recipes I have so far, what uses fresh ingredients and prices for single, family and party.
If you would like me to type up, let me know.

Jen

Offline tara1727

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2014, 01:45:10 PM »
My living on a lawn legacy founder who doesn't have money to buy a trashcan accidentally grew a thing called trashplant. He fixed a clogged toilet that created a pile of dirt that changed into a plant after few days. Didn't explore it much because my sim started to hate his surroundings after it became harvestable, lol.

Offline LenaLJ

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Watcher
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2014, 01:49:45 PM »
I dont know if you have seen this yet Carl. But some of us myself included have posted here http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,20926.0.html where we found some of the plants you where still missing.

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2014, 01:56:59 PM »
I dont know if you have seen this yet Carl. But some of us myself included have posted here http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,20926.0.html where we found some of the plants you where still missing.

Lena I think your link is miss printed, it goes to _Annika_'s profile instead of where you want it to go.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2014, 05:40:09 PM »
I got there myself. I am glad people are sharing information, as that Gardening Guide is likely to be the hardest. I don't expect rock/fossils to be as hard since they are random (as far as what you get in them) while the plants are scattered around. I am updating the first post, as I just completed the painter career guide.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2014, 05:41:59 PM »
Carl,

I have made a list of the recipes I have so far, what uses fresh ingredients and prices for single, family and party.
If you would like me to type up, let me know.

Jen

Someone has linked me to a lot of cooking recipes. I will get to them when I do the skill/career combo. I appreciate it, though.

Carl

Offline sunshine_2406

• Occult
  • Call me Alice :)
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2014, 10:34:47 AM »
Carl, if you need a list and pictures of all the MySim trophies and the postcards I've managed to collect them all.
From the moment I fell down that rabbit hole I've been told what I must do and who I must be. I've been shrunk, stretched, scratched and stuffed into a teapot. I've been accused of being Alice, and of not being Alice, but this is my dream. I'll decide where it goes from here.

Offline _Annika_

• Immortal
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2014, 03:52:53 AM »
wow, now don't I feel weird with all eyes on me...  :-\

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2014, 12:35:04 PM »
Heheh I fixed it in case someone else wants to follow it without going through you. Thanks for starting that thread, it really took off!

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2014, 06:50:37 PM »
Updated the first post with Rocket Science Skill Guide. Pretty simple skill, really.. but should work out well with the Astronaut Career, which I'll likely pursue tomorrow.

Rocket science isn't needed for astronauts. Nutella told me and I'll edit that tomorrow when I start the career. Assumptions..doh

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2014, 09:01:22 PM »
Updated post with Astronauts

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2014, 12:37:51 PM »
Updated with The Sims 4's Hidden Areas. Also moved to General Discussion. When we have expansions, there will be lists of Expansion Guides in the individual boards for newcomers. It is something I wished I had done with TS3, and got to do at the end. I will announce new Guides in the Announcements Board so that they each have dedicated threads for suggestions and corrections, then add them to this list.

Offline ObsidianMyst78

• NPC
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2014, 11:40:15 PM »
It's mentioned in the guide for fishing that the only place to catch the tree fish is in Sylvan Glades, but Sims can catch it at other locations. I caught one tonight in the park in Willow Springs (I believe it was while I was fishing at the pond).  I haven't caught the bat fish yet so I don't know if the same holds true for it. The guides are great, this is my favorite website for all things Sims!!!!!

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2014, 02:09:50 PM »
Thanks! I changed it to a 'reliable' place to catch the treefish. I kind of figure it's true for the batfish but can't be sure. It just seems appropriate since it's in a cave of sorts. Kind of figured it was true for the treefish but haven't written fishing yet, as you know! Thanks for the compliment. They always make my day :)

Offline Indira

• Occult
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2014, 04:01:00 PM »
I didn't read this in your gardening guide as yet. Cutting plants twice (one after the other in the same day) can kill them. This includes wild plants. I tried doing cutting once a day, and the plant survives. Needs further testing as I did it only once.

I "killed" a wild apple tree and a strawberry bush in one of the parks. The strawberry bush emitted a greenish (and probably foul) hazy smoke, much like a sim who didn't have a bath for days. The apple tree just turned brown. I disposed the apple tree but left the strawberry bush.

After a few sim days, the strawberry bush continue to exist but still dead. The wild apple tree never came back. :(

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2014, 05:35:44 PM »
I was sometimes able to do it twice and they'd die. I did mention you should only do it once as it can kill it, and that you may get the option to revive it for $100.. but I've seen the option NOT there too, so don't understand what's up with that.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2014, 05:10:45 PM »
The list is updated with the Aspirations Guide :)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2014, 06:58:45 PM »
I put up the Skills list and made some edits to cheats, babies, and careers today. I am taking a couple days off development to handle life so that I can come back with a fresh attitude. I would like to hear if I've missed the mark on the ideal Emotion for some of these. I haven't been able to play every skill, but know some of them and tried to test others.

Offline Franki

• Occult
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2014, 07:42:03 PM »
With the skills guide, you could add in that the skill books are another option as well, it all depends on your household funds. I know the books have a separate topic but you could just mention that the books might be another way of gaining the skills.

For the Video Gaming, I'd say your ideal mood should be focused, as it helps with some of the interactions, especially if you do the tournaments later on, also with your mood being focused you gain the skill a little faster.

Edit: never mind about the books, just re-read the guide.
Masters/Straud - Nearing the end of it's lifespan

Something, something, sims is life, something something

Offline jen2912

• Townie
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2014, 09:39:15 AM »
I have a list of all teen careers, if this is helpful to anyone.

Offline JengaHare

• NPC
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2014, 02:12:16 PM »
Hello,

if you need help with the collectibles guide I almost have all of them, so I can provide pictures.

Specifically the mysims trophies, crystals, elements, metals, and both microscope and space prints

JengaHare

Offline Marishkah

• Townie
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2014, 05:49:51 PM »
I have a list of all teen careers, if this is helpful to anyone.
Did you put up this list?  My Sim family has 6 children, and some will be teens soon.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2014, 07:27:59 PM »
I missed the posts here. Wouldn't mind seeing teen careers on my suggestions board.

As for collections, see what is missing in the thread there as well. Sorry for being short. On mobile.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2014, 06:27:59 PM »
I am taking a few days off development to handle some things, while I also hope for a patch. I don't like how many things I'll have to edit if I keep going with Skills and am a bit frustrated by the time I've wasted on some of the bugs. I will finish the Careers section on Friday, as there are not really bugs associated with that area of the game. From there, I'll try to find things that won't need editing. I expect some Aspirations to change and perhaps some changes to Skills for issues I'm not yet aware of.

Soon I'll work on Emotions, a Party Guide, and a few less buggy skills (Charisma, Cooking, Video Gaming). I also want to make a Tips page for newcomers.

If you have ideas for articles, please share them on my suggestions board! I will post a full agenda soon so that folks may submit ideas that are not on the list. I myself haven't even come up with a full to-do list yet, as I knew there was plenty of obvious work to be done in just completing careers and skills.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2014, 08:59:03 AM »
Gardening updated with Grafting combos and the Death Flower.

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2014, 09:37:10 AM »
Gardening updated with Grafting combos and the Death Flower.
I noticed you removed notes about grafting being bugged.  Was this just so you wouldn't have to do it when they fix it, or does it work for you now?

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2014, 10:15:53 AM »
It really works, all but sage to basil... which is what I tried yesterday that made me think it was still broken. I harvested a death flower this morning. I guess it's not part of the.collection.

Much easier to have many flowers now, as the plant doesn't die when you harvest.

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2014, 10:20:43 AM »
The sage / basil works Carl, only if you take a Basil cutting and graft it onto a sage plant.  Doesn't work with sage cutting onto basil plant, I know, it's weird.  ::)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2014, 09:15:36 AM »
Yeah that's what I meant. I loaded up, tried that expecting it to work, and it failed so I thought it was still buggy. It's the only one that forces you to go one direction, isn't it? I had success with others but didn't test every combo.

Offline Devin

• Occult
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2014, 09:45:44 AM »
I was wondering the same thing. I'm relieved to know that it's working for you, Carl! That saves me the time of playtesting it lol

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2014, 10:08:04 AM »
Testing Results (every combo):

Sage / Basil -- only works with basil cuttings graft onto sage plant.

Pear / Lemon -- both ways
Tulip / Chrysanthemum -- both ways
Daisy / Strawberry -- both ways
Dragonfruit / Snapdragon -- both ways
Orchid / Pomegranate -- both ways
Strawberry / Snapdragon -- both ways
Apple / Cherry -- both ways

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2014, 10:11:40 AM »
Hahah. I appreciate that - I thought it was possible it was that way. I was wrong for a whole day just from picking one and thinking it'd work, but am glad the bug is fixed and that the ones people will truly need to graft for will work either way.

Offline lindsaysoderberg

• Occult
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2014, 06:30:23 PM »
Carl, Great job! Thank you for all of your hard work! This is a great site. I sincerely appreciate it!  I will help you out as much as I can.

It's great to be able to interact with a sims community and also extremely helpful. It makes the game so much more fun when I can come here to get help if I'm stuck rather than stress over it for days.  ;)

If you ask me, EA should be paying you for how much your site adds to The Sims gaming experience!

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2014, 05:18:11 PM »
That's some huge praise! I'm content with my relationship with EA though, since they made a game worthy of.such a community. Thanks for letting me know how you feel. It made my day :D

It's been hard to give the site my attention lately, but I got to play some today. I stopped by here to say that I'll have video gaming and charisma out tomorrow. Ambrosia is coming after, then the two cooking skills. After those, I'll probably try to polish off the skills since the list is nearly done.

Expect Pam to release Teens soon,  and some more aspiration works from Metro. I gotta tease that I got to see the new Dynasty in progress and it's looking great!   :-X

Offline lindsaysoderberg

• Occult
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2014, 08:23:07 PM »
I'm happy to make your day! You deserve it. This site is a HUGE undertaking.

I have a few items that might be useful for your fishing guide. I had been having a really hard time catching goldfish so I''m taking my family of 7 all around both towns to figure it out. Here's what I've learned so far:

Goldfish: My sims have only caught Goldfish in the Oasis Springs Park Pond (never in Willow Creek Park Pond), and it has always been after they ran out of bait. You mentioned in your guide that the "lower" level fish may be harder to catch when your sims are level 10 fisherman because there are so many more fish options. Well, maybe a a great to get around that is to fish without bait to get the more common fish.

Guppy: I was having almost an equally difficult time catching Guppies until, as with the Goldfish, my sims ran out of bait and kept fishing.

Catfish: I was not catching very many catfish until I tried using Dragonfruit as bait. It works very well.

Red-Tailed Black Shark: Tetra and Minnow make great bait for this fish.

Piranha: Very hard to catch. I've only had success using Treefish as bait. I did try Koi and Catfish as mentioned in your guide, but they never worked for me. Of course, it doesn't mean they won't ever work.

No Bait: I've caught quite a variety of fish and miscellaneous items without bait, including Betta, Bass, Salmon, Minnow, Trout, Cowplant Berry, Stringvarius violin, Goldfish, Guppy, Tetra, the Future Cube by Paltry Predictions, Inc., and, of course, plenty of "normal" quality apples and pomegranates.

Using flowers and herbs for bait doesn't seem to work any better than simply no bait at all.

Potential Bug: The first time I caught a Piranha, which was hard to do, it didn't register in my collection, and it was the last fish for me to complete the collection. It didn't register until I caught a second one, and then I finally got credit for completing the collection.

My sims have been skipping work and school for the last 3 sim-days to just fish. I'm trying to put together a good list of which bait works for which fish and where; however, I'm actually finding that in The Sims 4, bait is less relevant to which fish you catch than it was in The Sims 3. However, that does make it harder to catch the full variety of fish, since it is based more on odds than choice of bait and location.

I don't think anyone is worried that you don't have "enough time" for the website! I'm sure you also have to work for a living, which has to take priority!

I'll look for the guide on teens. Teens are much more fun now. I was a bit surprised that they now have their own version of "WooHoo" (Mess Around). The "Promised To" interaction is kind of fun; however, it must not be a very "strong" promise. My teen's "promise" to her boyfriend naturally wore off when I neglected to have them spend enough time together over about a week.

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2014, 09:01:26 PM »
Potential Bug: The first time I caught a Piranha, which was hard to do, it didn't register in my collection, and it was the last fish for me to complete the collection. It didn't register until I caught a second one, and then I finally got credit for completing the collection.
This is a bug that happens no matter what fish you catch last.  Restarting the game solved it for me.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2014, 04:20:38 PM »
I've wanted to keep building guides, but it's been tough lately. A lot has happened and I'm going through a period of depression. I'm working out to help that, solving problems, and trying to get myself back in the rhythm. I hope to resume next week. I'm sure some of you can relate, and rather than make up some illness to explain the slow pace, along with my absence, I'd rather admit that I'm one who has this problem too. I always keep hope, because I know I always feel better eventually.

@Lindsay thank you for the information, especially baits. I will surely add your tips to the Fishing Guide soon!

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2014, 04:39:43 AM »
I'm sorry to hear you are unwell Carl. I hope your depressions lifts very soon.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2014, 07:37:21 PM »
I'm feeling a little better, thanks. Glad to be productive today :)

Offline Barbara917

• Nooboo
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2014, 10:29:00 AM »
Question for Carl about the information in the guide about the Cowplant.

I have tried milking the cowplant several times now and it has yet to yield a Youth Potion for me. I have gotten other potions instead - mostly related to the mood of the sim that gets eaten. I have gotten focusing potions, and happiness potions and some of the other potions but never a youth potion. I was wondering if the information about the cowplant producing a potion that adds days to your sims' life was just assumed based on how it worked in TS2? Or, have I simply been unlucky not to get a youth potion?

Offline dethdukk

• Occult
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2014, 12:21:51 PM »
Hey Carl, just wanted to say thanks for the guides.  I've been using them along with my own notes for about a month now and they've always been both helpful and spot on. 
Knethen Immortal Dynasty
Double Time Dynasty Rules (A modification of the immortal dynasty)

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2014, 08:40:52 AM »
Question for Carl about the information in the guide about the Cowplant.

I have tried milking the cowplant several times now and it has yet to yield a Youth Potion for me. I have gotten other potions instead - mostly related to the mood of the sim that gets eaten. I have gotten focusing potions, and happiness potions and some of the other potions but never a youth potion. I was wondering if the information about the cowplant producing a potion that adds days to your sims' life was just assumed based on how it worked in TS2? Or, have I simply been unlucky not to get a youth potion?
I'm not Carl, but I see the answer to your question in Carl's gardening guide.  You must have just missed it.  I'll copy and paste the paragraphs here for you.

"When a Sim is swallowed by a Cow Plant by going for the Cake, one of two things will happen. The first time they take the cake, they'll get spit out, upon which case they will leave the cow plant feeling disgusting and unnerved; an emotionless husk. There will be a Drained Moodlet that lasts two days. Milking the Cow plant will give you an essence that will give your Sim whatever Emotion that Sim was feeling at the time. According to Forum Member Reubenhood, death only comes if a Sim already has the Drained moodlet that comes from being spit out, so a second encounter with the Cow Plant will kill the Sim.

When the Sim dies, the Cow Plant can be milked to get an Essence of Sim's Life. Drinking this will extend the Sim's lifespan by putting them back to the beginning of the current life stage. It's better to save for when your Sim is close to aging up, as you'll get more days out of it."

In summary, you won't get the potion you're looking for unless the Sim going into the cowplant dies by going into the cowplant twice within a short period of time.  Otherwise, you'll just get what you've been getting.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2014, 08:50:45 PM »
Sorry I missed that question! Thank for answering, ClayMask.

dethdukk, you're very welcome! I love helping and hope to refine the guides to be more specific on the mechanics as I go. Nothing has got the attention gardening has, so there is definitely room for improvement on all the released pages. I will not be lacking something to do for many months.

Romance will be out as soon as I can tear my attention away from Civilization. I have been working to redesign my main site that links everything together, and that's not quite done yet, but close. I've just now finished the notes I need for the main Beyond Earth Guide I want to write, so should be able to get back to Sims very soon. Nothing else I make on that game will take as long as this one has (affinities, for those interested), and life has been less distracting lately. I should be more productive in the near future. I still think I have time to meet my goal of 50 pages on Sims 4 by December. :)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2014, 09:51:08 PM »
I just want to say to guide readers that I will be back and updating more regularly when I am able. I've had a lot of technical problems lately that have prevented me from writing. I wouldn't want anyone to think it was disinterest or that I was focusing on another game. Getting a good Sims guide written is what is most important to me right now! I am actually putting the Civ:Beyond Earth project on hold for a while, having not started it yet there is no commitment.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2014, 12:42:35 PM »
Looks like Collectibles are up next, then information on Weddings and other types of Parties. I have probably 20 pages to go to finish the base game coverage, and maybe some extra misc articles to fill in gaps in information. I'm taking the better part of this week off for Thanksgiving, some time with family and my girlfriend, and will resume writing heavily in December. Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Americans. To those of you who have to work on that day, I am sorry that our society is getting worse and worse about saving money and forgetting family values and decency.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2015, 03:34:05 PM »
Not all families, Carl.  Love you so much.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2015, 04:52:25 PM »
@Joria Aww, thank you :)

I just stopped in here to work on the list, as i hadn't updated it in a while.

Offline dethdukk

• Occult
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2015, 05:31:28 PM »
Hey wasn't sure exactly where to post this... the guide:  Sims and Gameplay (http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/tutorials/sims.php) is missing the length of the Teen age.  I believe it's 13 days on normal?
Knethen Immortal Dynasty

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2015, 05:20:54 PM »
While I can still think of about 10 pages I can make, I've been bogged down with other things for some time. I want to get a building section created eventually, but it seems like something that should wait a bit for efficiency's sake because of how new features are being added to the game (like the upcoming basements feature). It kind of feels like it's still being developed, but it's not a bad thing because they are doing an excellent job bringing in new features some people thought should have been included at launch and we know how budgets/time constraints can affect game development. I love how they are doing patches and the extra information I'll need to incorporate into the site because of that.

I am taking a break from Sims 4 site development for a while (again) to pursue other thing. I need some self improvement and to work on other sites. I still love my Sims and will get back to that in due time, but do not want to burn myself out on the game at any point as I did with TS3. I'll still release something once in a while to make the site more 'complete'. It's just a matter of what I want to do and what I'm capable of doing. I look forward to the Expansion this April and the upcoming Summer with all the new people who will join us here on the Forum. It's a little slow lately, but it's just that time of year and the old game's declined in popularity while the new one continues to rise. The Expansion, for me as a writer and free-spirited person, gives me broad choices on pages to create and the enjoyment that brings me. I like chasing whims and writing on something based on how I feel and with a lot of options available to me. Now that we've published so much, I feel constrained.

My work is going to be featured in the Sims Magazine app that can be found on the app store for both iOS and android. I'm not sure when the first Sims 4-era piece is released, but I've given them work on both Careers and Outdoor Retreat for publication. It'll be great to see it in a magazine, whether it's print or not. I'll let people know when that magazine is released, because it will be something a lot of you guys will want to check out. I'm sure they will secure some great interviews in the future.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2015, 01:23:54 PM »
Just wanted you to know I'm always praying and thinking about you.  Take some time to renew yourself once in awhile.  We all love you and appreciate the millions of hours you put in to the guides you create.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2015, 05:51:58 PM »
Your support matters a lot to me @Joria and I thank you.  I do feel a lot better than I did then, but succumb to stress and other issues like anyone else I guess. I have the option to push hard and focus on one thing a lot, but it doesn't mean I always should. I did find some peace there, so all is well now, just behind on writing!

I will resume writing on the base game as summer approaches and try to polish off my to-do list. It's exciting building a new site with an established following, and I'm grateful to everyone who has continued to come here, share their thoughts about the game and even help me with the guide by providing little tips :)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2015, 03:59:05 PM »
I just updated the gardening guide with a tip from a player that I received a while back. She made a guide to combining plants in an efficient way so that you can complete the collection and simultaneously have one of every plant growing on a fast-blooming plant. It can be downloaded here. Thanks to charlottecupcake for this list :) In the document you will see the total amount of grafts you need to collect, and where to graft them. This has been refined a few times, and she's done a really great job with this.

We also found that Mixology can actually make a lot of money. Not sure if I just missed this, or they updated them. Prices scale with drink quality/level and can be sold through your Sim's inventory. The price list is updated

Offline gendalf

• NPC
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2015, 01:55:17 AM »
- Add info about hidden skills, at least a list of them. (areas where your sim will start getting better result after a while, by repeating an action over and over, but there's no in-game indication)

- Does "Go to Work!" in Daily Task & Promotion Requirements after reaching lvl10 in a career, means that I can force my sim to work more hours to get more $? If so how do I do it?

- Is somewhere a list of all of the Items with auras sorted by aura?

Offline dodi90

• Occult
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2015, 06:05:52 PM »
- Add info about hidden skills, at least a list of them. (areas where your sim will start getting better result after a while, by repeating an action over and over, but there's no in-game indication)

- Does "Go to Work!" in Daily Task & Promotion Requirements after reaching lvl10 in a career, means that I can force my sim to work more hours to get more $? If so how do I do it?

1. There is actually no hidden skill this time around. The only skills that is not available to common player is called Reaping and it is related to Grim Reaper. I have my suspicion about the singing skill though but all my level 10 guitar could sing perfectly in Outdoor Retreat. Even the new career in Get To Work only have job level that influence the success rate of their respective career related interaction.

2. There is actually no way to force staying late in normal career unless there is some specific chance card that we haven't yet come across since even in Sims 3, there is no option either to intentionally stay late. For Get To Work Expansion yes we can stay late and earn more money by cancelling the timer icon right at the jobs objectives. It will ask you if you want to stay late or leave job early.

3. Do you mean somewhere in game? I don't really know about his though.

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2015, 06:13:06 PM »

The only hidden skill I can think of is skill at specific video games.  You can get better at individual video games by playing them, but you need to keep playing them often to keep the skill.

There is a list of items that cause emotional auras, but it is intermingled with other ways of obtaining these moods.  It's here:  http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,21776.0.html

Offline dethdukk

• Occult
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2015, 01:21:54 PM »
The only hidden skill I can think of is skill at specific video games.  You can get better at individual video games by playing them, but you need to keep playing them often to keep the skill.

There is a list of items that cause emotional auras, but it is intermingled with other ways of obtaining these moods.  It's here:  http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,21776.0.html

Doing homework has a hidden skill related to it as well.  I also believe that fighting/practice fighting may have a hidden skill, but I haven't tested this. 
Knethen Immortal Dynasty

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2015, 05:12:00 PM »
Isn't dancing a hidden skill? It sure seems like there are levels of it.

Offline dethdukk

• Occult
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2015, 05:50:33 PM »
Isn't dancing a hidden skill? It sure seems like there are levels of it.

Dancing depends on the mood.  Each mood has a different type of dance.
Knethen Immortal Dynasty

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2015, 07:52:25 PM »
I didn't know this until today but a child can raise their motor skills by dancing to the stereo. I guess I had never noticed it before because I usually don't have a stereo in the house to keep my sims from always dancing. But my sim and his child was visiting a friend and the child started dancing to their radio and I noticed her motor skill was going up.
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2015, 07:27:51 AM »
Dancing depends on the mood.  Each mood has a different type of dance.

Thanks for pointing that out, I had no idea.

Offline blabla98

• NPC
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2015, 08:05:53 PM »
I need your help ........ I don`t think that other sims in town age up but mine ...... I don`t know how to make settings so they can age up

sorry about grammatical mistakes, I´m from Croatia  :)

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2015, 11:30:57 PM »
@blabla98 go to the options menu in the top right hand corner and select game options. From there select the gameplay tab and make sure Auto Age (unplayed sims) is checked.
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline Tixxis

• Occult
  • daydreamer
« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2015, 12:52:05 PM »
About retails business: I'm sure the guide says that only employees can clean. But I found the owner can do it as well.
Is it just my game? Or did anyone else notice this?

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2015, 01:31:37 PM »
@Tixxis I haven't had to clean anything in a store I own, but I'm not sure where it says that owners can't clean their stores.  I did find it saying this in the guide:
"Employees are particularly useful for cleaning, as I do not often notice the dirty objects in the store and it does lead to and Uncomfortable moodlet for those in the store."

Offline Tixxis

• Occult
  • daydreamer
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2015, 02:19:28 PM »
@Tixxis I haven't had to clean anything in a store I own, but I'm not sure where it says that owners can't clean their stores.  I did find it saying this in the guide:
"Employees are particularly useful for cleaning, as I do not often notice the dirty objects in the store and it does lead to and Uncomfortable moodlet for those in the store."

Oops! That reads different from how I remembered it. My apologies.

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2015, 02:03:17 AM »
Oops! That reads different from how I remembered it. My apologies.
No worries, easy to do.

Offline Grevillia

• NPC
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2015, 08:22:14 AM »
Just wanted to say thank you for all your hard work in putting the guides together.  They're such a great resource & make my Simming experience so much better.  You guys are awesome!!

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2015, 09:09:50 PM »
@Grevillia I'm glad to be able to do what I do, and am grateful for comments like this. Thank you!

This is coming a bit late as I hadn't checked the thread in a while, but back when I wrote on retail, I couldn't notice or click many objects in order to clean them, but my employees could. I should do a test and see if it's still an issue for me, then edit the guide. That one needs some other edits, so it's on my to-do.

Offline Calous

• Nooboo
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2018, 03:52:07 AM »
Hey Carl, I wanna share this experienced. I usually use perfect Strawberry as base plant for splicing normal quality. So far the plant that was not successfully grafting are Bird of Paradise and UFO Plant. I have numerous tries on Bird of Paradise and none success. I have problem with Snapdragon and Dragon Fruit too. Before Seasons, there is no problem with that. I have tried maybe about more than 10 tried but always in same order that Snapdragon as base plant and Dragon Fruit splice in. Never one success, always only produce Snapdragon. Then I tried different order, Dragon Fruit as base and Snapdragon splice in. It's successfully in first try and I got Cowberry. So later I tried to splice in UFO plant to Dragon Fruit and it's successfully too. I haven't tried with Bird of Paradise cause I'm waiting for Dragon Fruit to be mature enough. I will come back again to inform the result.
So maybe you need to specify in your guide that Dragon Fruit need to be the base plant to successfully get Cowberry.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2018, 06:08:25 AM »
@Calous The problem is in the game code. It was deliberately changed such that you have a 500 weight toward a normal produce on a grafted item, a 100 weight of uncommon, and a weighting of 1 for rares. You get ~6 produce per harvest so the odds are like 1% per harvest since you are getting 6 rolls of the dice. But those are some big dice. You need to land on the perfect number out of a huge roll. Now if it was just uncommon and rare on the fruit, it'd be much less bad since it wouldn't have that strong 500 weight toward spawning a common.

I hope I'm making sense when I relay this to you. It stopped being a guaranteed thing and became a very rare thing to get that collectible from a harvest. It's very annoying as it forces you to either check each harvest to see if it spawned, or collect the fruits and then sell through the inventory. this defeats the purpose of giving us super sell. To use it you have to put any special spliced plants away from your other crop so you can quick-sell the commons and be sure you don't accidentally sell off a super rare plant.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Cruising the Danube, Amsterdam=>Budapest Dec 2018
« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2019, 09:30:42 PM »
Hi Carl,

In the listing of packs on the Guide page (the page where you list the titles of the packs, the dates they were released and I think whether it was a stuff/game/expansion pack) the Moschino Stuff Pack isn't listed.

Thought you'd appreciate knowing.

Thank you for the guide

Dek