Author Topic: Sims 4 Guides  (Read 89205 times)

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
Re: Sims 4 Guides
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2014, 10:20:43 AM »
The sage / basil works Carl, only if you take a Basil cutting and graft it onto a sage plant.  Doesn't work with sage cutting onto basil plant, I know, it's weird.  ::)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2014, 09:15:36 AM »
Yeah that's what I meant. I loaded up, tried that expecting it to work, and it failed so I thought it was still buggy. It's the only one that forces you to go one direction, isn't it? I had success with others but didn't test every combo.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Devin

• Occult
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2014, 09:45:44 AM »
I was wondering the same thing. I'm relieved to know that it's working for you, Carl! That saves me the time of playtesting it lol

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2014, 10:08:04 AM »
Testing Results (every combo):

Sage / Basil -- only works with basil cuttings graft onto sage plant.

Pear / Lemon -- both ways
Tulip / Chrysanthemum -- both ways
Daisy / Strawberry -- both ways
Dragonfruit / Snapdragon -- both ways
Orchid / Pomegranate -- both ways
Strawberry / Snapdragon -- both ways
Apple / Cherry -- both ways

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2014, 10:11:40 AM »
Hahah. I appreciate that - I thought it was possible it was that way. I was wrong for a whole day just from picking one and thinking it'd work, but am glad the bug is fixed and that the ones people will truly need to graft for will work either way.

Offline lindsaysoderberg

• Occult
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2014, 06:30:23 PM »
Carl, Great job! Thank you for all of your hard work! This is a great site. I sincerely appreciate it!  I will help you out as much as I can.

It's great to be able to interact with a sims community and also extremely helpful. It makes the game so much more fun when I can come here to get help if I'm stuck rather than stress over it for days.  ;)

If you ask me, EA should be paying you for how much your site adds to The Sims gaming experience!

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2014, 05:18:11 PM »
That's some huge praise! I'm content with my relationship with EA though, since they made a game worthy of.such a community. Thanks for letting me know how you feel. It made my day :D

It's been hard to give the site my attention lately, but I got to play some today. I stopped by here to say that I'll have video gaming and charisma out tomorrow. Ambrosia is coming after, then the two cooking skills. After those, I'll probably try to polish off the skills since the list is nearly done.

Expect Pam to release Teens soon,  and some more aspiration works from Metro. I gotta tease that I got to see the new Dynasty in progress and it's looking great!   :-X

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline lindsaysoderberg

• Occult
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2014, 08:23:07 PM »
I'm happy to make your day! You deserve it. This site is a HUGE undertaking.

I have a few items that might be useful for your fishing guide. I had been having a really hard time catching goldfish so I''m taking my family of 7 all around both towns to figure it out. Here's what I've learned so far:

Goldfish: My sims have only caught Goldfish in the Oasis Springs Park Pond (never in Willow Creek Park Pond), and it has always been after they ran out of bait. You mentioned in your guide that the "lower" level fish may be harder to catch when your sims are level 10 fisherman because there are so many more fish options. Well, maybe a a great to get around that is to fish without bait to get the more common fish.

Guppy: I was having almost an equally difficult time catching Guppies until, as with the Goldfish, my sims ran out of bait and kept fishing.

Catfish: I was not catching very many catfish until I tried using Dragonfruit as bait. It works very well.

Red-Tailed Black Shark: Tetra and Minnow make great bait for this fish.

Piranha: Very hard to catch. I've only had success using Treefish as bait. I did try Koi and Catfish as mentioned in your guide, but they never worked for me. Of course, it doesn't mean they won't ever work.

No Bait: I've caught quite a variety of fish and miscellaneous items without bait, including Betta, Bass, Salmon, Minnow, Trout, Cowplant Berry, Stringvarius violin, Goldfish, Guppy, Tetra, the Future Cube by Paltry Predictions, Inc., and, of course, plenty of "normal" quality apples and pomegranates.

Using flowers and herbs for bait doesn't seem to work any better than simply no bait at all.

Potential Bug: The first time I caught a Piranha, which was hard to do, it didn't register in my collection, and it was the last fish for me to complete the collection. It didn't register until I caught a second one, and then I finally got credit for completing the collection.

My sims have been skipping work and school for the last 3 sim-days to just fish. I'm trying to put together a good list of which bait works for which fish and where; however, I'm actually finding that in The Sims 4, bait is less relevant to which fish you catch than it was in The Sims 3. However, that does make it harder to catch the full variety of fish, since it is based more on odds than choice of bait and location.

I don't think anyone is worried that you don't have "enough time" for the website! I'm sure you also have to work for a living, which has to take priority!

I'll look for the guide on teens. Teens are much more fun now. I was a bit surprised that they now have their own version of "WooHoo" (Mess Around). The "Promised To" interaction is kind of fun; however, it must not be a very "strong" promise. My teen's "promise" to her boyfriend naturally wore off when I neglected to have them spend enough time together over about a week.

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2014, 09:01:26 PM »
Potential Bug: The first time I caught a Piranha, which was hard to do, it didn't register in my collection, and it was the last fish for me to complete the collection. It didn't register until I caught a second one, and then I finally got credit for completing the collection.
This is a bug that happens no matter what fish you catch last.  Restarting the game solved it for me.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2014, 04:20:38 PM »
I've wanted to keep building guides, but it's been tough lately. A lot has happened and I'm going through a period of depression. I'm working out to help that, solving problems, and trying to get myself back in the rhythm. I hope to resume next week. I'm sure some of you can relate, and rather than make up some illness to explain the slow pace, along with my absence, I'd rather admit that I'm one who has this problem too. I always keep hope, because I know I always feel better eventually.

@Lindsay thank you for the information, especially baits. I will surely add your tips to the Fishing Guide soon!

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2014, 04:39:43 AM »
I'm sorry to hear you are unwell Carl. I hope your depressions lifts very soon.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2014, 07:37:21 PM »
I'm feeling a little better, thanks. Glad to be productive today :)

Offline Barbara917

• Nooboo
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2014, 10:29:00 AM »
Question for Carl about the information in the guide about the Cowplant.

I have tried milking the cowplant several times now and it has yet to yield a Youth Potion for me. I have gotten other potions instead - mostly related to the mood of the sim that gets eaten. I have gotten focusing potions, and happiness potions and some of the other potions but never a youth potion. I was wondering if the information about the cowplant producing a potion that adds days to your sims' life was just assumed based on how it worked in TS2? Or, have I simply been unlucky not to get a youth potion?

Offline dethdukk

• Occult
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2014, 12:21:51 PM »
Hey Carl, just wanted to say thanks for the guides.  I've been using them along with my own notes for about a month now and they've always been both helpful and spot on. 
Knethen Immortal Dynasty
Double Time Dynasty Rules (A modification of the immortal dynasty)

Offline ClayMask

• Watcher
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2014, 08:40:52 AM »
Question for Carl about the information in the guide about the Cowplant.

I have tried milking the cowplant several times now and it has yet to yield a Youth Potion for me. I have gotten other potions instead - mostly related to the mood of the sim that gets eaten. I have gotten focusing potions, and happiness potions and some of the other potions but never a youth potion. I was wondering if the information about the cowplant producing a potion that adds days to your sims' life was just assumed based on how it worked in TS2? Or, have I simply been unlucky not to get a youth potion?
I'm not Carl, but I see the answer to your question in Carl's gardening guide.  You must have just missed it.  I'll copy and paste the paragraphs here for you.

"When a Sim is swallowed by a Cow Plant by going for the Cake, one of two things will happen. The first time they take the cake, they'll get spit out, upon which case they will leave the cow plant feeling disgusting and unnerved; an emotionless husk. There will be a Drained Moodlet that lasts two days. Milking the Cow plant will give you an essence that will give your Sim whatever Emotion that Sim was feeling at the time. According to Forum Member Reubenhood, death only comes if a Sim already has the Drained moodlet that comes from being spit out, so a second encounter with the Cow Plant will kill the Sim.

When the Sim dies, the Cow Plant can be milked to get an Essence of Sim's Life. Drinking this will extend the Sim's lifespan by putting them back to the beginning of the current life stage. It's better to save for when your Sim is close to aging up, as you'll get more days out of it."

In summary, you won't get the potion you're looking for unless the Sim going into the cowplant dies by going into the cowplant twice within a short period of time.  Otherwise, you'll just get what you've been getting.

anything