Author Topic: Sims 4 - Clearing Cache File  (Read 7913 times)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
Sims 4 - Clearing Cache File
« on: September 04, 2014, 05:38:55 PM »
When I started playing Sims 3, I soon learned that clearing my cache files would improve the performance of my game.

Looking through my documents file for Sims 4, I found:

localthumbcache.package

This started with about 1300 KB the first time I looked at it. After a few more hours of play, it was 11,000. I deleted it and found that the game regenerated a new file the next time with no adverse effect.

I don't know whether this will be necessary, but apparently deleting this cache file is safe.

Delete Game Cache Files (What and How-To)
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=29288.msg401662#msg401662
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline walms

• Llama Wrangler
Re: Clearing Cache File
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 05:23:51 AM »
Thank you for that hint, good to know it is safe to "delete"   :)
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Albert Einstein

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Hechicera

• Llama Wrangler
Re: Sims 4 - Clearing Cache File
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 12:01:39 PM »
I have been playing with deleting files/repair, delete/run, delete/restore from bin. I can delete these, and run a game in progress, if deleting between game restarts. In addition to localthumbcache.package, which I'll relist for completeness:

In ../Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4/

localthumbcache.package
/cache/*.*   (it will be regenerated)
/lotcacheddata/*.* (created when you edit a lot, maybe when play on one)

No repair needed, just delete. I haven't done more than a couple of days and 3 games worth of testing (a bit of editing though). But those seem safe enough for me so far.

I started playing with this when my games developed the stuttering I used to get in Sims 3 with many files. I don't think I had enough in them to cause it, but it didn't hurt. My issue seems to be the Tray folder (library on local disk). I'm going to add a post on that as it isn't deletable like a cache.