Author Topic: Maintenance  (Read 16587 times)

Offline Nettlejuice

• Baba Gothel
  • Watcher
  • Mother knows best, Rapunzel
Re: Maintenance
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2016, 07:09:57 PM »
@Carl I have no problem viewing this thread, it's all the other boards that seem to be 'messed up'.
Chant: Life States (TS3) / Immortal Dynasty (TS4)

Mother Gothel & Baba Yaga Enthusiast

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2016, 07:11:29 PM »
@Carl

Ads may be turned off for members, but the ad spacers (if that makes sense) were there, and now they aren't since you turned them off.

Weird, as the ad is not even there for members.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Magpie2012

• Tony Brooks fangirl - Jupiter Reaper fangirl too - Pippin fangirl ALWAYS
  • Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2016, 07:20:34 PM »
@MrsFlynn @Carl probably a stupid question, but where do the ad spacers usually sit? I have a gap between the donate button and the start of a topic. Also, how can I access my profile and bookmarks and messages etc, the usual line of links above the main section is missing for me (I hope that made sense?)
because... Math *Pippin The Most Tenacious Simmer*

Only 2 things are infinite... The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. *Albert Einstein*

Don't believe all the quotes that have been attributed to me. *Albert Einstein*

I can't ignore ALL of the voices in my head - Some of them actually make sense! *Blayzen*

Offline Nettlejuice

• Baba Gothel
  • Watcher
« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2016, 07:24:30 PM »
@Magpie2012 Luckily email notification for PMs is working, it's the only way I can access my messages right now.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #94 on: May 25, 2016, 07:30:04 PM »
@Magpie2012

Thank you for asking... I've been wanting to test the inline image attachment again. :)

Or it might be just under the Home menu.

[Photo of Ad Space]
Adspace.jpg

–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #95 on: May 25, 2016, 07:34:35 PM »
It is very weird on that ad thing, because the box isn't even supposed to appear to members. So I may have to tweak that ad or do something differently.

I'll setup something on another server, an exact copy of the forum, and ask people to go there to test it across various devices. This is too buggy for a live server.

It may take quite some time, but it's an unexpected gift to be able to make the forum work for mobile without tapatalk being required.

For people on smaller screens, I'm looking into how to prevent scroll bars on attached images. They are not supposed to be there, and I didn't even know they were until MrsFlynn told me!

Offline Magpie2012

• Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2016, 07:45:00 PM »

Hope that works, haven't added an image in forever. That is how it looked for me earlier, but now, it's just taking me to a zoomed out version of the PC site.

Only 2 things are infinite... The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. *Albert Einstein*

I can't ignore ALL of the voices in my head - Some of them actually make sense! *Blayzen*

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #97 on: May 25, 2016, 07:53:21 PM »
@Carl

I just figured that was normal for the ad spacers to be there even for members or I would have mentioned something sooner.

It is very weird on that ad thing, because the box isn't even supposed to appear to members. So I may have to tweak that ad or do something differently.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #98 on: May 25, 2016, 08:08:20 PM »
@Magpie2012  I've disabled the theme for now. I will do testing on another server and make some of those bugs disappear. We can't have no menu, stretched images. It was awful, but the actual page itself fit very nicely even on a small vertical screen. So I'm in, but it will take me time. I need to finish up some writing, then the Sims Pack will come. Hopefully I can fit it in somewhere there, but it is clear we will move on to a responsive design sometime in the next few months if I can make it happen. I have wanted that for a long time, you notice only a small portion use tapatalk, while 50% of our visitors are on mobile.

If anyone has problems and was here for the testing, clear cache as it has that responsive theme going and it is not meant to be active at the moment.

I got a bit excited here just to see what would happen. When I get a test site setup we will have an organized single-thread conversation heheh

Offline Magpie2012

• Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2016, 01:19:38 AM »
Oh, my bad lol didn't realise when you said disabled that you meant the entire mobile theme thingie! I'm getting used to the browser, it's just annoying because if you zoom in for the text, you have to either zoom out or scroll for the images. I think I'll see whether Tapatalk is playing nice for now until we have the mobile theme up and running!

Offline Nettlejuice

• Baba Gothel
  • Watcher
« Reply #100 on: May 26, 2016, 04:08:42 AM »
@Carl Is the 'show new replies to your post/unread posts since last visit' supposed to be gone? They're not at the top of my page anymore.

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #101 on: May 26, 2016, 07:55:31 AM »
@Carl Is the 'show new replies to your post/unread posts since last visit' supposed to be gone? They're not at the top of my page anymore.

@Nettlejuice
in the right hand corner there should be a white arrow, click on it and it should open up. (Next to the Carl and Pam's The Sims Forum)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #102 on: May 26, 2016, 12:23:40 PM »
None of the changes of that temporary test of the responsive design should be permanent. Since I moved the server, things have been cached almost too well, so it's probably that. I've just dumped any cached files server side so it should clear up on its own. Let me know if it doesn't even if you control + shift + del and delete cached files.

To prevent any further problems and to give people a chance to use that design to read - ie just browse - the forum, without access to PMs. I am going to set up the new design as a separate template sometime in the next few weeks. Once all the design issues are worked out, I can then make it our primary design. Doing it that way would give us sort of a live beta test, and I can flag it as such, and gradually work on things rather than feel a need to plug away at it until it's 100% fixed. I suspect that some of the people who registered just to read without ads would really enjoy that, as they don't NEED the PM links, nor any of the unread replies, etc. Since it's easy enough to change the theme you use, we could try it out here and there. It did look really promising, or I wouldn't have got quite so excited. For a long time the small screen/mobile experience has been the only major drawback to using this forum.

I know now why the messages etc. links disappear. In the mobile version, they're supposed to be replaced with icons you can tap. It looks like I'll need to modify it to suit our needs.

Before I mess with any of that though, need to finish this last few articles on the Fallout DLC and want to prioritize the fix for scroll bars in images. With Dine Out coming, it will definitely take some time for me to get all of that done. We do have tapatalk to see us through, but it'd be great to not need to update it or deal with bugs because tapatalk don't want to support plugins we use. I understand why they do not, because while the type of forum we use is common, the plugin we use isn't. It's just a bummer to have to choose between this or that feature. I want all the features :P

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #103 on: May 26, 2016, 12:28:10 PM »
And this is why we love Carl!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
« Reply #104 on: May 26, 2016, 04:00:58 PM »
Indeed it is, Shannon.

@Carl it seems that cleaning the caches has had the desired effect on my computer and the forum when it comes to posting posts with images.

Thanks to you and @MrsFlynn for your assistance.