Author Topic: Maintenance  (Read 3444 times)

Offline Magpie2012

• Tony Brooks fangirl - Jupiter Reaper fangirl too - Pippin fangirl ALWAYS
  • Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
Re: Maintenance
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2016, 08:27:06 PM »
I've also got a weird one (big surprise) I can access all the stories I follow except sdhoey's TS4 IDC. Which sucks because I really want to see how Tony Brooks completed this for they and for Shannon to get into HoF. And as per usual it's only on Tapatalk :'(

Sent from my D2005 using Tapatalk

because... Math *Pippin The Most Tenacious Simmer*

Only 2 things are infinite... The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. *Albert Einstein*

Don't believe all the quotes that have been attributed to me. *Albert Einstein*

I can't ignore ALL of the voices in my head - Some of them actually make sense! *Blayzen*

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Cruising the Danube, Amsterdam=>Budapest Dec 2018
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2016, 11:16:41 PM »
In recent times, whenever I do a post with pictures it always sends me to the 505 error screen. I return to the previous screen and attempt to post it again, to be told the post was posted properly. So I go and check, and sure enough the post is there. Is this a case of me needing to clean my cache? It seems to have started around the time of the move to the new isp.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2016, 11:28:51 PM »
It's recommended that if you get the 505 error to try clearing your browser's cache.

Clear your browser's cache - How-To
http://help.ea.com/en/article/clearing-your-browsers-cache/

It's a good idea to do this every now and again to ensure smoother web browsing.  If this doesn't solve the problem, please either @Carl or email him at: [email protected]
New Members, Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * -- Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2016, 08:25:25 AM »
I've also got a weird one (big surprise) I can access all the stories I follow except sdhoey's TS4 IDC. Which sucks because I really want to see how Tony Brooks completed this for they and for Shannon to get into HoF. And as per usual it's only on Tapatalk :'(

@Magpie2012 Could you send me the link you're trying or the chapter of the story name at least? I went through her whole list of story links and found them working. We may have a few stray links that don't work because of the new server not supporting a 'pretty url' feature we were using before, this caused me to have to forward a lot of older links. It may be one of them is in that format and I missed it.

@Deklitch went through server logs trying to find any 505s. It may be related to permissions in the attachment area but I cannot be sure. I'll investigate a bit more, let me know if it persists once you clear cached files/images.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2016, 08:30:27 AM »
@Carl I use the img tags for pictures, rather than the attach command. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. :)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2016, 08:40:43 AM »
@Deklitch that makes this even weirder. I made an assumption that it was related to that. Now, I did just turn back on 'allow users to go back to cached pages'

What that does is, when you are taken to a page you've visited it will be the same instead of trying to refresh. It may be that it was off and your browser wanted to fetch the cached pages anyway. Let me know if that change helped.

Otherwise, we'll work together and I'll enable debug-level logging for a bit, which makes the access log huuuge, and you can try so that I can see what's going on. Then I can turn that featuer off as it'd like fill up the hard drive in a day or two :P

Offline Magpie2012

• Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2016, 12:06:04 PM »
@Carl I'm not really sure how to get the link, it's on Tapatalk (as always). And it's always the 2nd to last page (so 124 on BB Tapa and I think 16 on Android Tapa)

Edit: sorry 42 on BB which means Android is 124!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9720 using Tapatalk

Only 2 things are infinite... The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. *Albert Einstein*

I can't ignore ALL of the voices in my head - Some of them actually make sense! *Blayzen*

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2016, 01:16:58 PM »
@Magpie2012

I'm not sure if this is the particular story you are talking about or not. If it is, can you see any part of this story? Does it cut-off on a certain page, and then you can't see the rest of the story?

The Return of Brooks
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=22340.msg396688#msg396688
Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * -- Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline sdhoey

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2016, 01:51:15 PM »
@Magpie2012

I'm not sure if this is the particular story you are talking about or not. If it is, can you see any part of this story? Does it cut-off on a certain page, and then you can't see the rest of the story?

The Return of Brooks
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=22340.msg396688#msg396688

She is having a problem with Tapatalk. She was able to access it thru a link on her mobile browser. I'm having the same problem with Tapatalk, but it has nothing to do with the site it's self.

Offline Magpie2012

• Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2016, 02:38:30 PM »
What is confusing me is that it's only that story, the rest I can access.

@MrsFlynn yes, that's the story I'm talking about, it was the whole of the last page on the "normal" site that I couldn't acess on Tapatalk. It would open the story to the last page which was usually the last 2 posts (NJ and shannon I think) and then wouldn't load the page before that, but it would load the page before THAT one (totally weird)

@sdhoey so its a Tapa problem and not the site? So weird...

Edit: @Carl @MrsFlynn the new image attachments for mobile ease of viewing don't show up right in BB Tapa, going to check Android now. It pushes the images to the end of the post, in an attachment tag, and not in the body of the post.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9720 using Tapatalk

Re-edit: nope android tapa does it too

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2016, 03:41:04 PM »
Does this work? http://www.carls-sims-3-forum.com/index.php/topic,380.msg4577.html#msg4577 (old World Ranking)

If not, this makes me wonder if tapatalk doesn't listen to redirect rules. Our old server used this thing that changed addresses to be more pretty, the new doesn't support. I don't know if you're able to change addresses at ALL in Tapatalk but..

The end of the address line is likely the problem. If it is index.php/XXXXXXXXXXXX that slash can't be there. It should be a ?

Also, there will sometimes be a comma that isn't meant to be there but rather a = The address beyond index.php is exactly the same just the 2 symbols.

So index.php/topic,22340
Should be index.php?topic=

The correct address to what I linked you is actually http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/index.php?topic=380

I have the server set up to automatically fix that, but if you can't change addresses or tapatalk can't allow redirects, it's probably the problem.

It is possible this android app might fix the problem, it helps with all apps that do not support redirects but requires you to make it the  default app for opening said links...

Offline tjtemple

• Occult
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2016, 04:18:50 PM »
Same for me on Tapatalk

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2016, 04:27:06 PM »
I am not familiar with Tapatalk, but is there away that it can be reset, to hopefully work better? Or is the problem with the program itself, not reading sites correctly?

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2016, 04:44:50 PM »
this is the message on tapatalk I got. I sent it to the tech team over there. It seems to be with my thread on the app.

Tapatalk is odd here lately

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2016, 05:08:12 PM »
I am going to try updating it, hopefully it will work better. The way you have to upgrade (completely uninstall it) is annoying and something I wish they would change somehow. I'd keep it up to date much more if it were not this way. If it doesn't work in a few, it's because I'm working on it.  I'll bump this when I'm done.

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2016, 05:13:16 PM »
@Carl Thanks you da man!!

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2016, 05:18:09 PM »
@Carl I have deleted my caches. I'm just about to try to use the img tags in my post to see what happens. Will post back here

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2016, 05:18:27 PM »
@Magpie2012 @sdhoey is it working? The installation wasn't as rough as last time so they're doing something right. But it was ~7 versions behind. I sincerely hope that worked as my ability to provide support for that is very small. If it's redirects, we'd need to file a bug report with them.

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2016, 05:26:02 PM »
Still getting the same message. I even uninstalled and reinstalled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2016, 05:35:47 PM »
@sdhoey Give it another try, I will be able to see it in the error log if you do. You or anyone else with tapatalk

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2016, 05:36:18 PM »
Trying it now

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2016, 05:38:17 PM »

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2016, 05:51:28 PM »
@Carl just updated my post with pictures, didn't get the 505 error. Will be keen to do a new post with images, which'll be tomorrow, have to get ready for work now. However, I think it'll probably work properly for me

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2016, 05:59:14 PM »
@Deklitch glad to hear it! Hopefully that was all.

@sdhoey I just disabled a certain module on the forum, mainly to try to narrow it down. I couldn't leave it off though.

All of the links on your story are just fine as far as redirects. This module is about all I can think of, unless this problem was happening before I ever moved servers.

On the images not showing up right as attachments, that's *awful* to hear because it's unlikely it's something that I can fix given it's their plugin.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2016, 06:00:59 PM »
Just read from tapatalk guys that since the inline attachments module is not popular enough, they won't support it. Frustrating!

Honestly I wish the SMF forum software were just responsive, we wouldn't need that.