Author Topic: The Apocalypse Challenge Support Thread  (Read 158828 times)

Offline JudesSims

• Sim Addict - and Proud of It!
  • Watcher
Re: The Apocalypse Challenge Support Thread
« Reply #165 on: January 09, 2017, 11:06:42 AM »
I have started my new Apocalypse Challenge with my own Wonder Child, Fawn Cheyenne. She's a Native American sim. She didn't have a great score but at least she has cooking and gourmet cooking maxed. I put this game on my laptop so that I can play while I'm "resting" HaHa.
@oshizu I think I'll follow some of your tips in this thread. Some good ideas here!

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #166 on: January 09, 2017, 02:20:10 PM »
@JudesSims

I'm sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well but pray that you enjoy the best of health in the new year.
When I clicked my bookmark for your blog, it didn't work so I'm glad to have your new link.

I especially like your Modern Lovely Sims 4 House (where Fawn Cheyenne won't be living, just a wild guess) and hope we can see you play a family there soon.
Good luck with your new AC game. I will be stalking your blog!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline JudesSims

• Watcher
« Reply #167 on: January 09, 2017, 02:23:30 PM »
Thank you! There was just no way to save my blog. I was just sick about it. Glad to hear I have a stalker...lol

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #168 on: January 09, 2017, 02:36:08 PM »
@commasplice

The use of index cards to keep track of the careers and their unlocks is such a brilliant idea!
Great job finishing your first attempt at an Apocalypse Challenge. You're a glutton for punishment, lol. ;-)

Offline commasplice

• Occult
« Reply #169 on: January 09, 2017, 02:38:09 PM »
@commasplice

The use of index cards to keep track of the careers and their unlocks is such a brilliant idea!
Great job finishing your first attempt at an Apocalypse Challenge. You're a glutton for punishment, lol. ;-)

Heh. I don't know about that. I am doing two shorter challenges before I do the 2nd Apocalypse Challenge.

Offline JudesSims

• Watcher
« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2017, 11:05:01 AM »
What are your guys' thoughts on the new lot traits introduced with City Living? Do you use them, or not?

Offline HelenP

• Immortal
« Reply #171 on: January 10, 2017, 11:36:04 AM »
My thoughts

In general I've not used them as they are quite powerful, but if I choose to put a negative one on then I feel it would have to stay until a suitable restriction was lifted.  For example 'private residence' could only be removed if diamond agent was cleared, or 'gremlins' would have to stay until the astronaught career that allows upgrades was cleared.  I think with the skill boosting ones that I would only allow myself to use them if I had cleared a related restriction eg 'bracing breezes' (the one that boosts athletics) would need body builder to be cleared first.

I'd also be interested to know what others think.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline JudesSims

• Watcher
« Reply #172 on: January 10, 2017, 04:08:55 PM »
Thank you, @HelenP.

I have officially started...vs just planning and building my starter house. Fawn has moved in and married Akira Kibo, who will clear Business Management. Fawn will clear Chef. Wish me luck! I've never completed one of these though I did complete one in Sims 3.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #173 on: January 10, 2017, 04:25:13 PM »
@JudesSims and @HelenP

Lately, I've been thinking that one of the most important factors when playing a challenge is to do what one can to keep it fun.
Sure there are rules, but not all challenges are eligible for this forum's Hall of Fame. And in those non-HoF-eligible challenges, I think we can enjoy more leeway.

Only, if we slight bend rules or otherwise take liberties, we should clarify them in our gameplay so that readers know what's going on.
Like, in my AC, I allowed myself to make rows of repairs in the backyard after I had several hundreds of stacks in family inventory. Also, I imported my sim creations into my AC household rather than opting for Wonder Children.
Not strictly legit, but these little things helped keep my AC from becoming a slog by making my family more fun to play (cute sims, less lag).

If I were do another Apocalypse Challenge (perish the thought), I'd probably want to somehow tie the lot traits to career restrictions like HelenP mentioned.
Tying some of them to aspirations also makes sense.
Like:
Great Soil <-- clear teen/Manual Labor
Great Chef <- clear Chef carer
Fast Internet <-- clear either Tech Guru career
Home Studio <- clear Master of the Real
Good Schools, Play Area, On Ley Line <-- family aspirations
Party Palace <-- Party Animal
Great Acoustics <-- Musician career or Musicial Genius aspiration
et cetera.

I'd probably just decide which ones I want most and write a new little rule/disclaimer at the start of my AC. That's what I'd probably do, but I don't know.
Just thinking off the top of my head here as I take a little break from my legacy. ;-)

Offline JudesSims

• Watcher
« Reply #174 on: January 10, 2017, 09:08:56 PM »
Thank you @oshizu! That makes a lot of sense. It's been so long since I've played it that I have to retrain my brain...lol

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #175 on: January 11, 2017, 12:31:48 AM »
I know exactly what you mean @JudesSims
Since I'm not playing the challenge now, I'm terrible at remembering which career unlocks what. Whenever I post on HelenP's lovely AC story thread, I always confuse the career locks.

Offline HelenP

• Immortal
« Reply #176 on: January 14, 2017, 06:42:31 PM »
I've just seen the patch notes, which adds the very cool toddlers, but toddlers in an apocalypse challenge - aaarrrghhh. Where will I fit all their stuff and how will they cope with no bath? The Sotelo's have just had a new baby so toddlerhood will happen soon.  I will keep keep you all updated but I'm slightly stressed with the idea.

Offline JudesSims

• Watcher
« Reply #177 on: January 14, 2017, 06:43:58 PM »
Oh, oh. I never thought of that. Might just have to override the rule set. Lol

Offline JudesSims

• Watcher
« Reply #178 on: January 14, 2017, 06:53:36 PM »
A thought. How about putting a bathtub in a locked room. Only unlock to bathe the toddler?

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #179 on: January 14, 2017, 09:26:04 PM »
@HelenP and @JudesSims

Unlike me, you two have no doubt already played the Apocalypse Challenge for Sims 3. I checked the website just now but there's not a word about how to deal with toddlers in TS3.

Apparently, the Legacy and Wonder Child challenges will be updated to incorporate toddlers. What Imagining Mystic says:
Our other challenges (Movin’ On Up, Immigrant, and Apocalypse) will not be affected by the addition of toddlers and therefore will not have any rule changes/updates. So continue playing those as per usual, just with adorable little toddlers now 🙂

Here's the link in case you're interested: http://www.simslegacychallenge.com/updating-legacy-wonder-child-challenge-include-toddlers/#more-3089