Author Topic: The Apocalypse Challenge Support Thread  (Read 160636 times)

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: The Apocalypse Challenge Support Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 09:52:35 PM »
Is there a restriction on repairing objects? I found the restrictions for upgrading and replacing but I'm not finding anything that says I can't repair it.

There's no restriction on repairing objects only, as you already mentioned on upgrading (Interstellar Smuggler) them and when they can be replaced (Teen/Retail).
Come on, @boomboomraccoon!  You know you want to!
Join the dark side and start your Wonder Child Challenge already!  ;D

Offline boomboomraccoon

• Llama Wrangler
  • Boom works, so does Rowan!
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 09:55:41 PM »
Thanks oshizu! I have my parents, now I'm just planning the founder's path. And since the AC Sim can be any age, I will probably play my founder past the end of the WCC to grab a few more boosts before applying the mind-wipe and sending them to DYSTOPIA!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 10:15:22 PM »
Thanks oshizu! I have my parents, now I'm just planning the founder's path. And since the AC Sim can be any age, I will probably play my founder past the end of the WCC to grab a few more boosts before applying the mind-wipe and sending them to DYSTOPIA!

Nice! Have you watched Pinstar's Let's Play series on the WCC? He played his WC until the end of her birthday party and got quite a few YA aspiration points and reward traits.
Following his lead, I started my sim's birthday party as late as possible, and had him working on aspirations until morning.
By party end, he'd finished all the Master Chef milestones except "Reach Level 8 of the Chef career," plus more.
In my case, I didn't play any more extra days because I wanted my WC to start the AC as a Day 1 young adult.  Just a personal choice, like everything else.

You're going to do a mind-wipe in your story? Awesome.
Looking foward to meeting your parents and their wonder child!

@Caterina I would love to see a screenshot of your Wonder Child, too!  :)

Offline boomboomraccoon

• Llama Wrangler
  • Boom works, so does Rowan!
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 10:58:57 PM »
In regards to the WCC, one thing I learned in my Baby Boomer Challenge while I was waiting out the weekend with a Whiz Kid child (so they can get the A in School) was that I can create a lot of food that is quick to eat and wont spoil by chaining up a ton of 'Make Health Potion' at the Science Table. Saves everyone time on eating and preparing food, and makes a second child incredibly useful in this challenge.

Offline Caterina

• Occult
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2016, 06:22:26 PM »
@oshizu I am not using a wonderchild in my current Apocalypse Challenge.  I have however uploaded two wonderful children to the gallery. #caterina  Also, I do not currently have a method of uploading pictures for the forum.  It's been a while since I have done that and I think things have changed since then.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2016, 06:40:26 PM »
@oshizu I am not using a wonderchild in my current Apocalypse Challenge.  I have however uploaded two wonderful children to the gallery. #caterina  Also, I do not currently have a method of uploading pictures for the forum.  It's been a while since I have done that and I think things have changed since then.

I just visited the Gallery in-game and found two Wonder Children who I think are yours.
Alexa Stark is gorgeous! Bella Johnson didn't have your #caterina hashtag but is she the second one you were referring to?  She is really, really cute!
I read your description of Caterina Fideli as well--seems like she's just waiting for the new Restaurant Expansion Pack! (not sure if it will be an EP or a game pack).
Thank you--I love seeing other player's sims!  :)

Offline Caterina

• Occult
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2016, 07:08:34 PM »
I just checked and noticed that Bella didn't have the #caterina hashtag.  Oops. 

Caterina Fideli (which may or may not be my great-great-grandmother's name), ran a restaurant business in my Build-A-City-Challenge.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline christinal3106

• Occult
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2016, 07:26:11 PM »
I have one of these going, and I wanted to make it extra hard at the beginning and start with a fresh sim from cas.  I decided to tackle the Writing - Journalism career and the Entertainer - Comedian because if Journalism is lifted, I can purchase any skill book I want.  To make this possible, I had to search out two sims, Mortimer Goth or Gavin Richards because they are both in the writing career with writing skill.  Also, I chose entertainer because after it is lifted, you can move in as many sims to your lot as you want.  Therefore, my founder and Mortimer will have 5 kids, they will all lift the teen clears and die.  After that, I only have to have young adults working on clears in the house and no more babies, kids, and teens ever.  I just thought I'd share my beginning strategy.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2016, 08:12:00 PM »
@christinal3106 
That sounds really intense, starting with a CAS founder. Your strategy would no doubt be the fastest since you'll only have one round of kids to raise, kind of a speed run, even.
You don't mention Oracle so your plan is to start out with housed YA/Adult townies for your clears--do you plan to by pass Wonder Children altogether?

I think I'm going to do this old-school, because I like seeing how kids grow up and turn out in a bloodline.
I'd be super interested in hearing how many days it takes you to clear all the careers. Do you have a blog? I would love to read how you're tackling this.  :D

Offline christinal3106

• Occult
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2016, 09:46:26 AM »
@oshizu Unfortunately, I don't do really well trying to write stories etc. for my sims because it takes longer than the play itself.  I am kind of impatient in that way.  I see so many lovely stories though where the players really get emotionally invested in their sims, but I have the mentality, you are no use, die in a fire. 
Anyway, except for the initial lifts, I had not planned further than that.  But yes, I planned on moving in the sims around the neighborhood.  I probably would never download sims from the gallery to add to the game, I know it isn't against the rules, but to me it seems so easy to just download sims all buffed up, I would rather work them up personally.  Although, I have completed two wonder child challenges.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2016, 10:51:17 AM »
@christinal3106

Wow, that is quite the strategy!  I'm definitely curious to see how it goes.

Offline christinal3106

• Occult
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2016, 11:15:55 AM »
@Shewolf13 Thanks, I hope I finish it.  I will post in the thread with the time it took if I do.  It should all work out, the biggest hindrance in the apocalypse challenge is finding ways to gain skills, and with the ability to gain any skill by a book, I shouldn't have a need for pre-skilled sims.

Offline Shewolf13

• Queen of the Dragons
  • Watcher
  • Wolf or Jessi is fine ^^
    • Wolfie's Writings
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2016, 11:29:28 AM »
@christinal3106

Very true.  I wish you the best of luck!  I'm still in planning stages XD I need to get my butt in gear with my other games/stories too, so I'm kinda all over the place at the moment!

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2016, 12:16:16 PM »
@christina3106
I only ask about your stories because you're such a great player (I've read your tournament strategies, too). I agree that the storytelling part is time-consuming and not as much fun as gameplay.
About move-ins, I'd also been planning to use premade townies and working NPCs, with the exception of my founder's twin brother who I eventually want to move in and play for sentimental reasons.
I've been keeping auto-ageing for townies disabled and that was working fine until I got some less-than-desirable (well, okay, just not what I'd hoped for) neighbors moved in.
To get rid of these neighbors, my only option would be to enable auto-ageing for townies again or...and see I can't "unintentionally" kill the adult because my sims currently lack the resources to do so (and it's against the rules, prob).
Perhaps my sims can help the neighbors improve their gene pool over time.

You're such a hardcore player! And I mean that sincerely as a big compliment! I would die starting an Apocalypse Child using a CAS-created sim as founder.
On the other hand, I do have the patience to play it as a multi-generational legacy kind of game.  (I did read your Dolan Decadynasty last month. Congrats on finishing!)
Okay, this post is getting a little too chatty, so I'll stop here.  Let us know how your AC is going!

Online LenaLJ

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Challenge Board Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2016, 12:30:31 PM »
I have long wanted to start one of these challenges, @JudesSims made me want to do this when i read hers :)
But i will have to complete my Rival Dynasty first

But when i start it will be a CAS created sim.