Author Topic: Attach and Insert Photos Into Forum Posts  (Read 48450 times)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
Attach and Insert Photos Into Forum Posts
« on: May 17, 2016, 10:33:04 PM »
Attach and Insert Photos Into Forum Posts

Index of Links:
- Important Note
- How To: Browse for the Photos
- How To: Insert a Photo (Attachment 1)
- An Example of How To: Insert a Photo into a Post
- How To: Add More Photos (Attachments)
- Limitations and Example Image Code
- Early Precautions
- Issues with Attaching and Inserting Photos

Important Note

Let's bring some color to the site shall we? I invite you to share your gameplay images within topics in an easier way, and story authors may enjoy having their images and posting taken care of in one place.

We have had numerous requests to bring the gallery feature back to the forum. However that presented some serious issues. For one, we had to moderate another entire area. Additionally, people would upload images that were large and then not use them in their stories. We could not keep track of those that were necessary and those that were just sitting there. It was used as storage space, and images were not compressed until they were put on the forum. So they were big, and that's bad. We only had 80GB of storage space on the old server and the gallery grew to 15GB due to uncompressed images. It was unsustainable, so I had to pull the plug.  :-\

Now that we have a more scalable server, I realized we can incorporate something using the forum's own attachment system so went hunting for a mod to do just that. A wonderful pair of SMF modders hath delivered. Resize Attached Images by Kays allows us to keep them at a reasonable size for both storage and bandwidth concerns, while dougiefresh's Post and PM Inline Attachments lets us put the attachments inside posts.

There are limitations to doing it this way, though it's really easy to share a single picture to help someone or to show off some accomplishment. Using this system for something that requires as many pictures as a story means planning ahead, know what images you need and where. We cannot preview the images until they've been uploaded to the forum. However, we can easily insert them in the right places if we rename them in a number sequence or else take note of the filenames of pictures we want to place between paragraphs. A little imagination can make this easier.

Edit: The Forum supports JPG (jpeg), BMP, PNG, and GIF image types. The last kind will not work as animated, it will be converted to jpeg by default.

Please have your screenshots in jpg format. 

** If you need help with this, please feel free to post questions or if you want to try attaching some photos, please do so in this thread!! :)

Browse for the Photos

Pick a Photo from the folder where you've collected images from your story. It's 10x easier if you rename them something like 1, 2, 3, etc.

image-posting-tutorial-2.jpg

Insert a Photo (Attachment 1)

From the attachment interface, select Insert Attachment 1, 2, 3, etc. as you go. The image you've selected to upload will be placed in the current location of the cursor.

image-posting-tutorial-3.jpg

An Example of how to do this step:
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=26583.msg443688#msg443688

More Attachments

More attachments at the bottom, will let you open many more 'Choose file' boxes.

image-posting-tutorial-4.jpg

Now continue those 4 simple steps. You can place the cursor and insert the next attachment each time. We do not yet allow multiple uploads at once, though it's safe to say it is not too hard as your browser will remember where you last opened a file :)

Don't forget to insert the photos into the message. - This way, they're not only attached to the post, but they're inserted into the message.

Limitations and Example Image Code

Limitations: If you preview the post, you'll see [ Invalid Attachment ] where your pictures are. Why? They're not uploaded to the server yet. Compose your story or post assuming the picture will be there when you hit post. If you need a caption directly below it, assume putting a
Code: [Select]

attach id=4 msg=443597 float=center (Let's pretend there are [brackets] around that)
[b]Caption[/b]: directly beneath the picture

will turn out right, and also float the image to the center of the page if you like. Just don't go right, trust me, it'll look weird..

See the code for the attachments? Those are the message id of the post, and the number of the attachment. So the 4th one I uploaded will go there. Crafty Simmers might even skip clicking insert and relocating the cursor 15 times and instead just copy (Ctrl + C) that code, paste it (Ctrl +V) and change the id= to the next attachment number.   8)

Early Precautions

Early Precautions: Because server security may kick you off for uploading many files, please compose your story post in notepad or copy it before you hit post and begin the upload on something with many pictures. Preview is safe, though as I said the images won't work until done. I don't want you to lose work. This should only be necessary for a while. I will tweak things to give people room to upload on slow internet.

Images will be downsampled to be 800x450 pixels. The rationale for this is 1. data size for storage space and 2. data size for people on mobile plans who read your stories. You are free to continue using other image hosting options, though people with slow internet will greatly prefer downloading the 30-90kb images you share here to 2MB colossal uncompressed images that can make a page require 45 Megabytes of download with 15 images. The whole post can be the size of one image.

If you don't use a program like Irfanview to change your files from PNG to JPG it may take some time to upload them, especially if they are directly from the game and you have slow internet. You may actually save some upload time if you batch replace them first. Mrsflynn has a tutorial for using Paint to convert an image here.  I personally recommend Irfanview [Download Here] because it will let you press the 'B' key, and navigate to your story pictures folder. From there you can add all, tinker the options and change them to JPG all at once. Be sure to set an output folder (you can simply make a folder inside the current one). How-To: Use Irfanview.

We have the rule of using .jpg instead of .png as it saves space on storage space and bandwidth.

Thank you all for being members, and collectively creating this awesome, kind, and helpful community. I hope this new feature works out, I'll try to help if things go wrong. Please keep backups of your pictures just in case the system bugs out on us. It looks stable enough for mass-use and both mods have undergone plenty of revisions since their initial release.

You can practice uploading in this thread. We'll leave it up a couple weeks then move it to the member zone where it can exist as a tutorial of sorts :)

Issues with Attaching and Inserting Photos

Here are some troubleshooting tips to try:

1. Log out of the forum and close the browser. Then open it again and try the attachment again.

2. Clear your browser's cache to see if it helps.
https://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser%27s-Cache

3. Make sure you have the profile layout option "Show WYSIWYG editor on post page by default" is not checked. If this option is checked it will make the attachments not work correctly.

Go to: Home Menu > Profile > Modify Profile > Look and Layout

As seen in this photo:

Click image to see larger view

Offline simfulicious

• Watcher
  • Origin ID: petunia302007
    • Stories By Simfulicious
Re: Post & Story Images
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 06:41:52 AM »
@Carl Thank you for this...now maybe I will do my stories directly in the thread, the way everyone else does.  I didn't do it very often before because I hated having to go to a separate place to host my picture...now I just upload the files and am done.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 07:29:30 PM »
@simfulicious The only thing you didn't do there was insert it into the post properly. For people who just want to attach images, that's the way... but if you or anyone else were doing a story, you'd have the image inside the post by clicking the insert button next to where you chose which file to attach :) See Insert Attachment 1 here

I think this will have a lot of applications in normal posting situations, and not just stories. It's now much easier to slip a simple image in to help someone, or show off something from a new game pack, etc.

Offline simfulicious

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 09:13:31 PM »
@Carl oh it will definitely be easier to post a single image that isn't part of a story. 

I tried the Insert Image link and it didn't put the image in the post.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
How to Insert a Photo Into a Post
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 09:46:40 PM »

1. First you go to your post and left-click Modify up to the right of the subject line.

ModifyPost.jpg

2. Click the Insert Attachment link to add image to the message. (Do the same for each additional image)

IA1.jpg

3. Click save as normal to show the message with the images inserted into the post.

See post in the link below for example:
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=26583.msg443623#msg443623

If issues occur, try these tips:

1. Log out of the forum, close browser, then open it again and try the attachment(s) again.

2. Clear your browser's cache to see if that helps.

How to Clear Your Browser's Cache
http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser%27s-Cache
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 10:28:07 PM »
72.jpg

I thought I would give this a try. You are the best Carl. I was wondering earlier why that was showing up when I was posting my update to my story.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 10:31:56 PM »
Glad you guys like it! I'm grateful @MrsFlynn cleaned up my post and helped show how to do things :D

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Nettlejuice

• Baba Gothel
  • Watcher
  • Mother knows best, Rapunzel
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 06:18:33 AM »
@Carl Are the images only available to members when using mobile? I couldn't see them as a guest.
Chant: Life States (TS3) / Immortal Dynasty (TS4)

Mother Gothel & Baba Yaga Enthusiast

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 07:22:32 AM »
@Nettlejuice Many thanks! It was just a permission on THIS board, but I did make it so that guests can view attachments and found what would be wrong if it were to happen anywhere else. Think I got them all :)

Offline simfulicious

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 07:54:17 AM »

I couldn't get it to work using chrome, so I switched to explorer, and it works...

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 12:57:46 PM »
Hmm, wonder if the cursor was in the type box when you clicked it on the other browser. I don't have any problem with Chrome, however I will say that it is entirely possible it is a browser cache thing @simfulicious

In Chrome press Ctrl + Shift + Delete and select to clear only cached images and files. That way you don't lose login information by nuking your cookies. This will make sure you get a current version of the forum page. Having a lot of issues like this lately but it's just all the changes, once things are normal and it's been about a month a cached version of the page will work just fine.

If anyone else has that problem, give it a try. I'm writing on Fallout 4 Far Harbor and the caching issue is so bad I had to reload the server just to get it to show me an updated image. *sigh*. I'll find a way to fix it :)

Offline Nettlejuice

• Baba Gothel
  • Watcher
  • Mother knows best, Rapunzel
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 01:10:03 PM »
@Carl Thank you for clearing that up =D
Chant: Life States (TS3) / Immortal Dynasty (TS4)

Mother Gothel & Baba Yaga Enthusiast

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 01:31:00 PM »
Aye, it'd defeats the purpose doesn't it? I'm sure loads of people like reading on mobile to pass the time! And here that is one of my main goals, to make things better for mobile readers... oops ;)

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 02:28:09 PM »
I'm using chrome and I didn't have any problems. That's odd, I wonder why that is?

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 03:32:09 PM »
Some browsers have an older copy of the forum's background code (that makes things work) or something to that effect. So they don't treat everything as they should be treated. This is why some people had white screens and errors when I moved servers. They were looking for things in places they don't exist, even though the current page would tell them exactly where that was. It didn't ask for the current, it went with the one it had already downloaded.

Since this is a new feature, a person might have a cached copy of the forum from 2-3 days before this came out and only have part of the code. It's frustrating as a developer, because I can't make the browsers flush their cache. I could trick it by changing file names, but we might have those white screen errors again. So it has to sort itself out, and user intervention by clearing it can fix it fast.

I say this as I assume we're all using the same version of chrome because it auto-updates.

Offline simfulicious

• Watcher
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 05:02:15 PM »
@Carl Thank you for your patience with me...now let's see what happens.

I JUST figured it out...I cleared the browser images like you said, but that still didn't work...what did work was clicking on the "toggle view" button from the post menu.  Apparently it needs to be one way and not the other...I can't really tell if it should be on or off as the icon looks the same to me either way.

Offline Caterina

• Occult
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 10:18:35 PM »
I am very excited about this new feature and plan to use it soon and often now that it will be easy and convenient to do!

Thanks Carl and everyone else who makes this forum a great place to call home.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2016, 01:16:43 AM »
@Caterina  I missed your post.  I am very glad that you like it! Hope it's been working out, and I'm always here if you have issues :D

Offline bigpaper

• Nooboo
Re: Attaching Photos to Posts
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2016, 07:19:57 AM »
It is such a nice forum. I personally play Sims for quite some time now. I love this game and it would be great if there were analogues to it. The more analogies, the better.

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2016, 01:50:58 PM »
@Carl, afternoon Carl.

I was writing a fresh new chapter for a new legacy and when I went to use this feature, non of my pics shown up. It told me that they were "awaiting approval". I didn't have problems before with this feature. Has it changed?

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2016, 03:09:09 PM »
Doh, that's unfortunate. I've looked into it and can't find anything that should be limiting you, @sdhoey  - did it block you from making the post entirely? I ask as I can't see one where you posted today that includes attached images. If you format the post again, save it in notepad just in case it doesn't go through, I know you'd have ot put the images back in and that is a pain.. but at least some of it can be done. We definitely need to figure out what's up with this.

I never have to approve posts here, it's not set up that way, but maybe we can see what's wrong if it does go through and it needs approval for some odd reason.

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2016, 03:25:27 PM »
I'll redo the post with the same pics. If we can't figure it out, I'll use my imgur account.

@Carl Here is the link

http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=27360.msg453296#msg453296

It's telling me "Attachments Awaiting Approval"

@Carl It's fine now. It let me do them a few at a time. Weird.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2016, 08:14:22 AM »
Hm that is indeed very strange, if it is an ongoing problem we may get together and communicate over PM when we're both on, so maybe I can observe logs and see whats going on @sdhoey

Offline KTK10

• Watcher
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2017, 10:49:52 PM »
Just testing!

6.jpg

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2017, 12:13:18 AM »
Just testing!
@KTK10

Wow, what a gorgeous sim!

Offline KTK10

• Watcher
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2017, 12:28:05 AM »
@oshizu .. you would not BELIEVE who it is!!  (A Townie) But I can't tell you coz I'm just finishing up a story that I'm going to post soon.. I promised myself that I was not going to start posting a story on this forum again.. until I actually finished the story offline first! I tend start things and never finish them...  :-[

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2017, 12:52:34 AM »
@KTK10

Well, now you've got me extremely curious about her identity and wildly excited about your upcoming story.

My initial impulse was to throw out a few guesses about her parents. But now, I'll just wait impatiently for you to unveil your new story!
I'm really looking forward to it!

Offline KTK10

• Watcher
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2017, 01:01:33 AM »
@oshizu - I'll keep you posted!! hehe!!

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2017, 01:16:39 AM »
KTK10,

Just in case you want learn how to insert the photo into the message

http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=26583.msg443688#msg443688

This way, it's not only attached to the post, but it's inserted into the message. :)
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline KTK10

• Watcher
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2017, 01:36:18 AM »
Thank you so much MrsFlynn I was madly looking at a way to make it bigger!  ;D

*Edited

It worked!!! So happy!! Thank you!

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2017, 01:44:35 AM »
I want to test this, too, because I've only been able to post downsized images with this Forum's Attachment feature.

Thank you, @MrsFlynn!!! It works for me now, too! Yay!

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
Re: Attach and Insert Photos into Posts
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2017, 01:41:43 AM »
I'm hoping this works for me.  I'm such a novice at this type of thing.  How do I make the image bigger?

CH29-01.jpg
Where there is love - there is life. -- Mahatma Gandhi

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
2. Duty Calls Sequel: Islands of Sunset Valley
3. The Lady of the Lake
4. The Secret Time Traveler

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2017, 02:42:34 AM »
After you've attached your photo to the post, you need to modify your post, and insert your photo. As seen in the post below:

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2017, 06:39:58 AM »
Thanks MrsFlynn.  I couldn't immediately grasp the step of inserting the attachment.  But I've got it now.  It'll take me a long time to redo all my screenshots for my current story which is now at Chapter 29.  Do you think I should redo the other stories (now in the completed sections) or other posts?
Where there is love - there is life. -- Mahatma Gandhi

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
2. Duty Calls Sequel: Islands of Sunset Valley
3. The Lady of the Lake
4. The Secret Time Traveler

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2017, 11:30:52 AM »
I don't know. That's really up to you to re-do the photos in your other stories.

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2017, 01:10:22 PM »
@MrsFlynn @Carl is there a way to "view attachment" in the preview? So like before posting an update to a story, we can make sure the right pic is in the right spot?

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2017, 01:48:28 PM »
We can't preview the images that are attached and inserted into the posts, as they aren't uploaded to Carl's site yet. - As you can't preview what hasn't been uploaded yet. After you've posted your message or story, then you can modify your post and edit it when needed.

If you want to read more about this, please see the section linked below:

Limitations and Example Image Code
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=26583.0#post_LEIC

Offline wa-wa-world

• Vaguely Confused
  • Occult
  • Hi I'm Anna its nice to meet you
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2018, 02:09:35 PM »
Just testing this

Edit* Thats not right nevermind
Gallery Id: Soda_Stealer

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2018, 02:43:31 PM »
@wa-wa-world

After you choose the file you want to upload, don't forget to click (Insert Attachment x) to the right, where x represents which photo you're uploading (1 for the first photo and so forth).
When I first tried this, I forgot that step and my screenshots appeared small with a paper clip icon, like yours.

Good luck!

Offline wa-wa-world

• Vaguely Confused
  • Occult
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2018, 01:42:20 PM »

@oshizu  Thank you for your help,  I think i've got it now! (hopefully)

EDIT* I Did it!

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2018, 04:54:55 PM »
@wa-wa-world

Cool! And what a cute sim! :D

Offline wa-wa-world

• Vaguely Confused
  • Occult
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2018, 05:19:29 PM »
Thank you! He's my immortal dynasty founder he sucks and I love him

Offline BallerinaHippo

• Immortal
Trying this out
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2018, 05:37:26 PM »
Just trying this out before I start a story.  Same photo, saved with two different aspect ratios to see if it makes a difference.

16:9
1a Joe.jpg

4:3
4x3 Joe.jpg

Now let's see if it worked.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2018, 06:22:46 PM »
First of all....Yay! @BallerinaHippo is starting a story! My vote's for 16:9 cuz it's exactly 800x450 pixels, which you've figured it already, lol.

Secondly, a question for MrsFlynn:
For story threads, I always use an image hosting service. I save my jpeg-format files to a separate storage device then delete all my png-format files.
I'm wondering about when I attach a single image or two to a post.
Question: Once I've attached a image to a post (for example, to answer someone's question or illustrate a problem I'm having), do I need to keep that image on my hard disk indefinitely?
               Or may I delete it after I've clicked "Post"?

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2018, 06:35:47 PM »
It's really up to you if you want to keep the image or not after you've posted it. :) I usually keep my photos and screenshots backed up in case they're needed later. If you find later that it's not needed anymore, then feel free to delete it.

Question: Once I've attached a image to a post (for example, to answer someone's question or illustrate a problem I'm having), do I need to keep that image on my hard disk indefinitely?
 Or may I delete it after I've clicked "Post"?

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2018, 06:43:50 PM »
Thank you, MrsFlynn!

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2018, 01:56:00 PM »
  Hoping this worked.  Oh my goodness!!  It did!
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2018, 02:09:38 PM »
The photo I uploaded is actually larger than what appears.  I batch edit my pictures into jpg using Irfanview and when I used to save them and post them from Mediafire they posted full picture.  Why is the one I just posted only 2/3 of the actual picture?  The size is 1920X1040, 177kb.

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Resize Images with Irfanview
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2018, 04:38:21 PM »
A 800-wide photo may look quite large, there could be several different reasons for that. Two of them are, different screen resolutions and your Windows screen magnification settings.

Some have said they resize their own photos. You can do that with Irfanview -

1. File > Batch Conversion/Rename.
2. Make sure Output format is in JPG/JPEG Format
3. Look for the Advanced button.
4. Look for the Resize section of the menu. (left)
5. Resize the photo(s) by setting the width.
- Click image to see larger view

-- As long as it's 800-width it's good to post. It may be large on some screens. However, play with those numbers to see what size you like best.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2018, 11:24:22 PM »
It's like it's just scooted over to the side instead of being right in the middle of the post.  But I can definitely resize in Irfanview.  Thanks.

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline elliana

• Llama Wrangler
Re: Attach and Insert Photos Into Forum Posts
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2021, 12:48:02 PM »
Hey, looking for some help - I convert my Sims 4 screenshots using Preview (the Mac basic software) then post to the forum. But they always turn out low-res on the forum even though they look better anywhere else. Is there anything I can do to fix that? I have a Mac and IrfanView only supports Windows.

For example -

The Swift Power of 10 Dynasty: Taylor Swift (IN PROGRESS - GEN 1)
An Immortal Island Goddess Dynasty: Sulani/Island Living, female relationships, Greek mythology (ENDED GEN 6)

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2021, 01:45:51 PM »
I am on a Mac as well and whenever I post screenshots I simply go to Documents > Screenshots and drag the appropriate picture to the desktop and use the Attach feature. They usually seem pretty sharp.

Just for my own curiosity, I converted the above to the best possible JPEG instead of going with the default png format...

I do not see any difference.

Offline elliana

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2021, 04:01:24 PM »
Wouldn't that be a png and not a jpeg though if you just dragged it from screenshots? Or maybe I'm just crazy - did my screenshot look fine?
An Immortal Island Goddess Dynasty: Sulani/Island Living, female relationships, Greek mythology (ENDED GEN 6)

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2021, 07:47:30 PM »
Wouldn't that be a png and not a jpeg though if you just dragged it from screenshots? Or maybe I'm just crazy - did my screenshot look fine?

Correct. It is a png if you drag it to your desktop. But, you can attach that format just fine. My top screenshot is a png and the bottom is a JPEG.

Offline elliana

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2021, 09:31:58 PM »
I thought it was supposed to be a jpeg to attach/insert on the forum. Also, do you know of any ways to resize photos on a Mac? I'm wondering if that's part of my resolution problem.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2021, 09:41:13 PM »
Yes, images are actually suppose to be in .jpg format.

Preferred Photo Size to Share with Forum:
https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=22892.msg403211#post_Size

I am not a Mac user, but you can use this site - https://picresize.com/ to resize images.

You may even have a photo editor on your Mac computer that you can use to resize images. If I am understanding correctly, there should be a photo editor built into Mac's operating software.

Offline elliana

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2021, 10:39:59 PM »
Thanks. It looks like maybe you can resize photos in Mac's built-in Preview software under Tools > Adjust Size > change the resolution value with resample image checked. Let's see if that works...

a.jpg
"Resized" with Mac Preview

Resized with PicResize

Just kidding. Looks like PicResize is the only way to do it that I can tell for now, but at least that's something! I think the loss of resolution is just normal, now that I'm looking around the forum at other pics. But the resizing definitely helps make it look a little nicer, so thanks!

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2021, 10:49:32 PM »
Yay!! I'm happy that worked for you!! :)  And Thank you for sharing how too resize images using a Mac.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2021, 01:28:40 PM »

Well, that was a lot easier than I thought, yay.  Thanks.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

anything