Author Topic: The Ten-Gen Townie Dynasty Challenge  (Read 42111 times)

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
Re: The Ten-Gen Townie Dynasty Challenge
« Reply #125 on: March 11, 2017, 09:25:13 AM »
I just uploaded my family museum template to the gallery. I had such a hard time to remodel or find something that would work from the gallery/library.

I wanted to share it in case someone else might find it useful. I posted some pictures here.

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #126 on: March 17, 2017, 04:52:36 PM »
Can the sims earn points for 2 skills simultaneously, or do they need to max one before earning points in another?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #127 on: March 17, 2017, 05:26:15 PM »
Can the sims earn points for 2 skills simultaneously, or do they need to max one before earning points in another?

They need to max the designated skill before starting to pick up points in a new skill.

Example: Liberty Lee needs both logic and fitness to advance in the Astronaut career (and rocket science later, I think). You start with the logic skill, and pick up 10 points from that. She has also picked up 3 points in fitness, but those don't count; when you switch to fitness, she'll be able to get 7 points. You can then pick up 3 points from rocket science since the limit is 20. You'll also be able to get 2 points each time she maxes a skill.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #128 on: March 17, 2017, 06:18:00 PM »

They need to max the designated skill before starting to pick up points in a new skill.

Example: Liberty Lee needs both logic and fitness to advance in the Astronaut career (and rocket science later, I think). You start with the logic skill, and pick up 10 points from that. She has also picked up 3 points in fitness, but those don't count; when you switch to fitness, she'll be able to get 7 points. You can then pick up 3 points from rocket science since the limit is 20. You'll also be able to get 2 points each time she maxes a skill.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I Thought this was the case but wanted to make sure.

Offline simfulicious

• Watcher
  • Origin ID: petunia302007
    • Stories By Simfulicious
« Reply #129 on: March 20, 2017, 07:06:49 AM »
This may have been asked already, but maybe not.  If we start with an aged up teenager, the game brings up the aspiration chooser at their birthday.  Do we have to choose the same aspiration they had as a teen, or can we choose a different one?

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #130 on: March 20, 2017, 08:53:49 AM »
This may have been asked already, but maybe not.  If we start with an aged up teenager, the game brings up the aspiration chooser at their birthday.  Do we have to choose the same aspiration they had as a teen, or can we choose a different one?

The same one the teen had.

Offline Antalia

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #131 on: April 10, 2017, 06:55:47 PM »
2 points for every $30,000 added to the initial household fund. 10 points maximum. Note household income immediately upon moving in.

If I spend money to, say, buy a toddler bed or something, would that money still count toward the $30,000?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Antalia

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #132 on: April 16, 2017, 02:02:39 PM »
2 points for every $30,000 added to the initial household fund. 10 points maximum. Note household income immediately upon moving in.

If I spend money to, say, buy a toddler bed or something, would that money still count toward the $30,000?
The way I decided to do it is when the Household Funds displayed on the screen go over the [multiple of $30,000] + [initial funds amount], I get two points then. I only get points for a milestone once. I'm not sure if I'm understanding the rules about this correctly, so it would be nice if someone could confirm.

Other questions I've run into:

1. Since I'm allowed to tell other Sims to blow out candles, I can age the heir up early if I want to, right?

2. I saw some comments in this thread about the controlled Sim writing excuse notes for household members on free days. They can also do this when it's not a free day, right? (I haven't written an excuse note before, so I'm not sure if this takes any interaction on the part of the non-controlled Sim.)

3. Is there an easy way to identify whether a Sim is homeless? (Sorry if this is a dumb question--I haven't played Sims 4 much. Do I need to look through the whole map to check?)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #133 on: April 16, 2017, 02:54:19 PM »

The way I decided to do it is when the Household Funds displayed on the screen go over the [multiple of $30,000] + [initial funds amount], I get two points then. I only get points for a milestone once. I'm not sure if I'm understanding the rules about this correctly, so it would be nice if someone could confirm.

Other questions I've run into:

1. Since I'm allowed to tell other Sims to blow out candles, I can age the heir up early if I want to, right?

2. I saw some comments in this thread about the controlled Sim writing excuse notes for household members on free days. They can also do this when it's not a free day, right? (I haven't written an excuse note before, so I'm not sure if this takes any interaction on the part of the non-controlled Sim.)

3. Is there an easy way to identify whether a Sim is homeless? (Sorry if this is a dumb question--I haven't played Sims 4 much. Do I need to look through the whole map to check?)

Sorry I missed seeing your previous post.

When your household income = the starting sum + $30,000 or its multiple, you can count that for your 2 points.

1. I had assumed that we had in the rules somewhere that Sims could only be aged up on their birthdays. Since that was our intent for this challenge, I added it in. The Rival Dynasties Challenge allows for early age-up because it's a race.

2. The controlled Sim can write excuse notes for other Sims on any day.

3. I think you only find out for sure when your Sim asks the other Sim to move in. Gardeners, repair people, and mail carriers are usually homeless, though.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #134 on: April 16, 2017, 02:59:42 PM »
Added:

Sims may be told to blow out candles on their birthday cakes, when it's their birthday (0 days left).

Also added bowling alley to list of things that can be added to community lots.

Note: if you aged up an heir early, you're not disqualified. Just don't do it again.

Offline Antalia

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #135 on: April 17, 2017, 12:53:30 PM »
Thank you MarianT  :)

Some other questions:
  • We get a free day after the 50th point is earned, right?
  • Getting the 10th skill point in the controlled Sim's designated skill earns 3 points, right? (2 for maxing a skill + 1 for gaining a point in the designated skill = 3 points)
  • It's okay to duplicate child aspirations between different heirs, right? (It's just teen/adult ones that may not be duplicated?)
  • If household funds or the controlled Sim's satisfaction points reach a milestone on a free day, then we don't count points for that milestone, right?
  • If I forget to count a point and notice it later, after a free day was taken, and that point would have caused the free day to be a little earlier--that's the end of that Hall of Fame attempt, right?

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #136 on: April 17, 2017, 01:31:01 PM »
Thank you MarianT  :)

Some other questions:
  • We get a free day after the 50th point is earned, right?
  • Getting the 10th skill point in the controlled Sim's designated skill earns 3 points, right? (2 for maxing a skill + 1 for gaining a point in the designated skill = 3 points)
  • It's okay to duplicate child aspirations between different heirs, right? (It's just teen/adult ones that may not be duplicated?)
  • If household funds or the controlled Sim's satisfaction points reach a milestone on a free day, then we don't count points for that milestone, right?
  • If I forget to count a point and notice it later, after a free day was taken, and that point would have caused the free day to be a little earlier--that's the end of that Hall of Fame attempt, right?

Yes to questions 1 through 4. As for 5, I don't think you would necessarily be disqualified. Just don't count the point. For example, you might have picked up enough satisfaction points to get to your 1000th, but didn't realize that until after the free day. So just require your Sim to get another 1000 points. Deliberately not counting points to avoid having a free day until later would be considered cheating, though.

Offline fanofaband

• Occult
« Reply #137 on: April 17, 2017, 03:50:10 PM »
Just a few quick questions before I start a file.

1.  Is it possible to do this (or any dynasty, really) with just the base game?
2.  Do selfies come with an expansion or is it in the base game as well?
3.  If #2 isn't in the base game, is my only option to paint my founder/heirs with a mirror?

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #138 on: April 17, 2017, 04:12:42 PM »
Just a few quick questions before I start a file.

1.  Is it possible to do this (or any dynasty, really) with just the base game?
2.  Do selfies come with an expansion or is it in the base game as well?
3.  If #2 isn't in the base game, is my only option to paint my founder/heirs with a mirror?

1. Yes -- we've tried to make each of the 3 dynasty challenges possible with the base game.
2. I think you need photography for selfies, which came with Get to Work.
3. If you don't have photography, you can omit the selfies. But it's fairly easy to set up a mirror next to an easel. The portrait doesn't have to be good or show a full face.

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #139 on: April 23, 2017, 10:35:06 AM »
One of the households I am contemplating having my second generation move into has the Serviced Appartment trait, where a maid shows up each day.

How will this affect my points? It's not like I am choosing to hire a maid, but it is a perk. Would I have to pay 1 point a day, or can I just discount it. I would be happy to take a -5 point penalty if this means it is only a one time thing.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #140 on: April 23, 2017, 12:05:39 PM »
One of the households I am contemplating having my second generation move into has the Serviced Appartment trait, where a maid shows up each day.

How will this affect my points? It's not like I am choosing to hire a maid, but it is a perk. Would I have to pay 1 point a day, or can I just discount it. I would be happy to take a -5 point penalty if this means it is only a one time thing.

The 5 point penalty sounds about right. You can spread it out over your 10-point bunches if you want.

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #141 on: April 23, 2017, 01:18:45 PM »

The 5 point penalty sounds about right. You can spread it out over your 10-point bunches if you want.

Great to know!

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #142 on: June 23, 2017, 08:03:34 AM »
Added:

1 point for each character trait achieved by a Sim aging up from teen to YA.

The climbing wall is also included in things that can be added to community lots.

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #143 on: June 23, 2017, 01:16:15 PM »
If my heir marries an elder and that elder dies before an heir is conceived, is that a fail or can I  still get an hair through adoption/another partner as long as it's within the 10 days?

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #144 on: June 23, 2017, 02:43:01 PM »
As long as it's within 10 days, you're good.

Offline MxRainbow

• NPC
« Reply #146 on: June 27, 2017, 07:02:03 PM »
Hi there! Long time lurker here. Quick question. Can you move in other non-heir Sims to the household? For example, could you move the previous heir in with the new heir family as long as they were not controlled? I'm not sure if if this was asked earlier in the thread, but I read through it a few times and didn't see anything. Thank you! I'm excited to try this out. I've never done a legacy or dynasty before.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #147 on: June 27, 2017, 07:36:57 PM »
Hi there! Long time lurker here. Quick question. Can you move in other non-heir Sims to the household? For example, could you move the previous heir in with the new heir family as long as they were not controlled? I'm not sure if if this was asked earlier in the thread, but I read through it a few times and didn't see anything. Thank you! I'm excited to try this out. I've never done a legacy or dynasty before.

Welcome to the forum! Yes, you can move in helpers, and I don't see a reason against moving in the heir's parent. But you can't move anyone out after you've moved the person in.

Offline MxRainbow

• NPC
« Reply #148 on: June 28, 2017, 12:58:24 AM »

Welcome to the forum! Yes, you can move in helpers, and I don't see a reason against moving in the heir's parent. But you can't move anyone out after you've moved the person in.

Cool. Thanks for the clarification!

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
« Reply #149 on: June 28, 2017, 02:49:37 AM »

Cool!

anything