Author Topic: Having the Skills to Pay the Bills  (Read 17760 times)

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Having the Skills to Pay the Bills
« on: June 02, 2017, 03:28:34 PM »
Having the Skills to Pay the Bills

Goal
This is another great idea from Rachel and is a mash up of a skills event and -- something we've never scored before -- bills.

General Challenge Rules
The General Challenge Rules always apply. If applicable, exceptions will be noted below.

Specific Challenge Rules
  • Create two young adult Sims, Human or Alien -- Vampires not allowed.
  • No moving anyone in or out.
  • You must choose the Private Dwelling lot trait and the debug cheat to purchase a satellite to prevent abductions.
  • You are allowed one move per billing cycle.
  • Each of your Sims can only earn money from two different unique skills during each billing cycle** -- i.e. Sim A paints and sells his paintings during the first billing cycle, and he also makes and sells things with woodworking. Sim B cannot ever make money from painting or woodworking -- picking up the skills is okay, but make sure only one Sim makes money in their unique skills. So, Sim B's money making skills in the first billing cycle might be piano and comedy.
  • If Sim A paints, then Sim B cannot sell Sim A's paintings, etc. If Sim B does woodworking, then Sim A cannot sell those woodworking items.
  • **It's okay to receive royalties from certain skills after a billing cycle.
  • Even though many careers are directly tied to specify skills -- i.e. the painting career and the painting skill -- careers are not allowed in this event.
  • No retail stores or restaurants allowed.
  • At the start of each billing cycle each Sim chooses two new money-making skills to pursue. Skills in which you will not earn money may also be leveled.
  • If your Sims max their designated unique skills for earning money, your score multiplier goes up.
  • Both Sims must be on the home lot when bills arrive in the mail (Mondays at 5 a.m.).
  • This challenge ends immediately after receiving and paying your 4th bill which arrives on the 5th Monday at 5 a.m. You must also stop the challenge if at any point you cannot pay a bill.

Scoring
Bill #1. Note the notifications at the top right of the screen and jot down the amount of your first bill which will come at 5 a.m. on the second Monday. You must pay the bill or the challenge is over.

Bill #2. Note the notifications at the top right of the screen and jot down the amount of your second bill which will come at 5 a.m. on the third Monday. You must pay the bill or the challenge is over.

Bill #3. Note the notifications at the top right of the screen and jot down the amount of your third bill which will come at 5 a.m. on the fourth Monday. You must pay the bill or the challenge is over.

Bill #4. Note the notifications at the top right of the screen and jot down the amount of your fourth bill which will come at 5 a.m. on the fifth Monday. You must pay the bill or the challenge is over.

Skills. Everyone starts with a multiplier of 1.00 and if either of your Sims maxes their designated unique money making skills then add 10% (.10) for each maxed skill.

Total. Add up your four bills and then multiply by the Skills multiplier for your Total.

Here is a spreadsheet to help everyone with scoring. Thanks, SeraNita. :)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l0YqEUm9Mt4jJuF8kgZHuBuSlon730q6FsN_-E6Nvc4/edit?usp=sharing

Ch-Ch-Changes
The team does not want to edit and make changes to the ruleset once this event goes live, but we may have to. If an exploit is brought to our attention or we discover something else we reserve the right to ask affected players to redo their effort.

Have Questions?
Please think hard before you ask in the challenge thread because it may be strategy. What you may consider an innocent question could cause another player to go — “oh, I did not think of doing that.” It’s always safer to PM everyone on the team (Metro, ratchie, LenaLJ, Trip, and MarianT) for clarifications. Thanks.

And the Winner is...
After this event has closed everyone is encouraged to discuss how they approached the event, but the winner especially is expected to do so in detail.

This Event is Now Closed

Player                              Bill #1     Bill #2     Bill #3     Bill #4     Skills      Total
GlazeyLady                            23,14436,36837,75847,1372.60375,458
lesleyj42                            6,01518,88136,01458,8582.50299,420
Isabelalabe                            1,69921,72222,37134,4182.20176,462
LenaLJ                            2,43110,98520,78427,9652.60161,629
Eighty8Keys                            6697,15313,09225,8671.7079,527
sdhoey                            9856,7548,90512,3872.4070,394
Ginj                            2,3323,6154,08713,4382.6061,027
Whimsical Peanut                            1,7892,4105,02810,3082.4046,884
Metropolis Man                            1,8192,5376,02413,0581.9044,532
WriterJunkie                            4271,1333,1907,3301.9022,952
CynKuy                            5131,0162,4422,8271.8012,236
TanGuob                            5206569991,3352.308,073
coolsim9999999                            3072962701,4281.603,681
SeraNita                            4805265886561.603,600

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Having the Skills to Pay the Bills
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 03:35:34 PM »
When I tested this out I did not receive a bill until the 2nd Monday, so this needs to be absolutely confirmed by others. Everyone needs to be on the same page as to when bills show up.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 03:42:50 PM »
I have never gotten bills on the first Monday (ie the next day after starting a new save).

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 05:14:50 PM »
2nd Monday is when I've always gotten the first bill.

Can our Sims stick with the same 4 skills throughout the challenge or do we have to change each week?
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 05:16:41 PM »
You have to change at the beginning of each billing cycle, Marian...

• Each of your Sims can only earn money from two different unique skills during each billing cycle..../quote]

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 06:00:55 PM »
Thanks! I thought that was the way it was.

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 06:32:30 PM »
Hi Metro,

I had the same question as Marian.  I pm'd you before I read this. 

However, I had a second question in my pm, which should be pm'd instead of posting it.

Coolsim

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 06:33:56 PM »
A clarification just added --
  • Even though many careers are directly tied to specify skills -- i.e. the painting career and the painting skill -- careers are not allowed in this event.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 06:46:40 PM »
I just sent coolsim a response to a PM she sent, so let me copy my response because it was a good question she had...

For each billing cycle both Sims can only make money from two unique skills -- so say Sim A does painting and woodworking and Sim B does writing and fishing. There's nothing in the rules that states you have to make money from all 4 unique skills -- if you want to pay the total bill from just selling woodwork items that's fine, but when the next billing cycle starts, then all 4 skills must change too. If you paid bills from only woodwork items you could not continue to paint in the next billing cycle and sell paintings.

Offline HelenP

• Immortal
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 08:08:55 AM »
For skills where the money comes in as royalties over many days, how do we deal with the income if it arrives outside the designated week?

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 08:17:44 AM »
For skills where the money comes in as royalties over many days, how do we deal with the income if it arrives outside the designated week?

I suppose in that situation an exception can be allowed. Not sure if there would be others.

---------------

EDIT:

• **It's okay to receive royalties from certain skills after a billing cycle.

Offline Windhavyn

• Nooboo
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2017, 11:34:03 PM »
This sounds like a fantastic challenge! Just to clarify, while both sims are busy with the four designated money making skills, you are only allowed to sell the items from a single sim's skill, and only from one of his/her two skills not both. What do you do with the remaining items? i.e. If using paintings, but your sim is also busy with fishing, and the other one with gardening and woodworking, do you place the fish, garden produce & woodworking items onto the lot or can you sell them too?

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 07:07:51 AM »
This sounds like a fantastic challenge! Just to clarify, while both sims are busy with the four designated money making skills, you are only allowed to sell the items from a single sim's skill, and only from one of his/her two skills not both. What do you do with the remaining items? i.e. If using paintings, but your sim is also busy with fishing, and the other one with gardening and woodworking, do you place the fish, garden produce & woodworking items onto the lot or can you sell them too?

No...in your example you have one Sim painting and fishing during a billing cycle with the other Sim gardening and woodworking. So, in that billing cycle you sell paintings, sell fish, sell plants, and sell woodworking items. Then, when you get your bill, you sell whatever items are necessary to pay that bill and begin another cycle with 4 different skills -- two per Sim. And when the next bill comes due remember if you still have paintings, fish lying around, that's fine, but you can no longer sell those to pay the new bill. You can only make money in a given billing cycle with skills used during that cycle.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 07:46:10 AM »
@Metropolis Man, I took out your advice to Windhavn to join the painting career -- careers aren't allowed in this challenge. ;)

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2017, 07:52:54 AM »
Oh sheez! Lol! Thank you, Marian. I cannot even keep straight my own prior advice. Okay....standing in the corner now. :)

Offline Windhavyn

• Nooboo
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2017, 09:38:27 AM »
@Metropolis Man, thanks for clarifying that for me!

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2017, 12:32:04 PM »
@Metropolis Man, thanks for clarifying that for me!

You're welcome -- but make sure you read MarianT's post too -- I had a senior moment. Lol.

Offline Eighty8Keys

• Townie
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2017, 01:14:31 PM »
Am I correct in my interpretation that I need to create at least enough items during the billing cycle to cover my bills without dipping into my household funds?

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2017, 02:52:18 PM »
A clarification....

• At the start of each billing cycle each Sim chooses two new money-making skills to pursue. Skills in which you will not earn money may also be leveled.

Am I correct in my interpretation that I need to create at least enough items during the billing cycle to cover my bills without dipping into my household funds?

Anything you sell -- whether it's right after you make something or when the bill comes due -- is going into household funds, so it will be a balancing act for everyone.

Offline HelenP

• Immortal
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2017, 04:35:47 PM »

If Sim A paints, then Sim B cannot sell Sim A's paintings, etc. If Sim B does woodworking, then Sim A cannot sell those woodworking items.

But can Sim A (painter) sell a painting made by Sim B (non-painter)? 

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2017, 05:48:50 PM »

If Sim A paints, then Sim B cannot sell Sim A's paintings, etc. If Sim B does woodworking, then Sim A cannot sell those woodworking items.

But can Sim A (painter) sell a painting made by Sim B (non-painter)? 

No. Only paintings made by Sim A can be sold.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2017, 06:16:24 PM »
I am hoping this is not becoming too complicated. Having restrictions makes the event more challenging and will force players to think more. We could just say -- do whatever skills you want in any billing period...you can even repeat skills. And we'd eliminated about 8 lines of rules. Lol. But, then I fear everyone would only choose the clear profitable skills and it would be boring. But, if it does get too complicated then maybe the team can put our heads together and loosen up a bit.

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2017, 09:25:00 PM »
I think that choosing any skill for both Sims for the entire challenge would be better --- and not boring because more experienced challenge players would probably score higher anyway  :).  I know that I'd still have fun. 

Edit: However, what the team decides is certainly fine :)!  Your challenges are always nice to do.

Offline Eighty8Keys

• Townie
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2017, 10:13:04 PM »
I'm actually hoping that the restrictions stay. Yes, it does make it more challenging, but that's what makes it interesting to me. It's going to force us to be a bit more creative with some of those less profitable skills. I know I'll be spending my lunch hours next week planning out my strategy. Of course I'll certainly abide by whatever the team thinks is best.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2017, 06:12:59 AM »
I'm assuming most players would have realized this, but assumption is a bad thing when it comes to rule sets :). Anyways, I made a clarification...

• No retail stores or restaurants allowed.

Offline Isabelalabe

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2017, 08:34:41 AM »
To my understanding, both sims can gain any skills anytime they want but can only make money from the two designated skills (per sim). While training for the skills (not the money making ones), all items/produces can be created but not sold. Only items created with the money making skill in that specific billing cycle can be sold, right?  Regarding "If your Sims max their designated unique skills for earning money, your score multiplier goes up", do the said skills have to be maxed out DURING that specific billing cycle? Also, during moving, can the furniture be sold? 

Sorry, as I have mentioned before, I am a little slow.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2017, 08:40:03 AM »
To my understanding, both sims can gain any skills anytime they want but can only make money from the two designated skills (per sim). While training for the skills (not the money making ones), all items/produces can be created but not sold. Only items created with the money making skill in that specific billing cycle can be sold, right?  Regarding "If your Sims max their designated unique skills for earning money, your score multiplier goes up", do the said skills have to be maxed out DURING that specific billing cycle? Also, during moving, can the furniture be sold? 

Sorry, as I have mentioned before, I am a little slow.

No apology necessary - this event is a bit more complicated than is typical, so it's good to get things ironed out now instead of a month from now. :)

The answer to every question with the exception of selling furniture is yes. You cannot sell furniture since that would be income gained from a non-skill source.

Offline Isabelalabe

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2017, 08:42:39 AM »
That was amazingly fast. Thank you  :D

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2017, 01:17:44 PM »
What about furniture that is made at a woodworking table --- if that is one of the money making skills for one of the 2 Sims in the household?  May we sell ---  that and only that --- type of furniture?

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2017, 02:19:57 PM »
What about furniture that is made at a woodworking table --- if that is one of the money making skills for one of the 2 Sims in the household?  May we sell ---  that and only that --- type of furniture?

Yes -- furniture that your Sim makes can be sold.

Offline IronicBeauty

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2017, 07:47:18 AM »
Haven't played challenges in awhile so a little confused on what is the goal? The score is reflective of the size of your bills? Is it, can you pay or how much you pay?

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2017, 08:15:03 AM »
Haven't played challenges in awhile so a little confused on what is the goal? The score is reflective of the size of your bills? Is it, can you pay or how much you pay?

Hi Ironic -- nice to see you again. :) Yeah, this event's rules are a bit more involved than is typical. Read through them carefully before you begin. Score is indeed based on the size of your bills, so you want big bills hehe. And if for some reason you would be unable to pay any bill (income for each billing cycle is limited to 2 different skills per Sim), then you'd need to stop and post your score.

Offline IronicBeauty

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2017, 01:02:00 PM »
Hiie Metropolis Man, thanks, you too! :-D Thanks for the quick response. It is quite a bit different, but I like it!

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2017, 02:28:06 AM »
On the 5th Monday, after their 4th and last bill, sisters, Skill Bills and Jill Bills had the following:

Bill #1 §307
Bill #2 §296
Bill #3 §270
Bill #4 §1,428

So,

My four bills added up to §2,301
My two Sims maxed 6 of "their designated unique money making skills."
Therefore, my multiplier was 1.60.
So, my final score is §2,301 X 1.60 = §3,681 total

That was a very fun and unique challenge.  Thanks to the team, and to Rachel, for coming up with this challenge idea ;D

Coolsim

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2017, 06:26:21 AM »
Great job finishing first, coolsim -- given the event is now live I took the liberty of deleting one line of your post (your explanation of why your last bill was higher). ;) Hope you understand.

EDIT: Oh, one more thing...you were a decimal place off with your total...$2,301 X 1.60 = 3,681.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2017, 04:53:02 PM »
An exploit was just brought to the team's attention (thank you, reggikko), so this rule needed to be added:

• Both Sims must be on the home lot when bills arrive in the mail (Mondays at 5 a.m.).

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2017, 05:24:24 PM »
Hi Metro,

Edit: Thanks for mentioning that I was the first to finish.

I didn't mean to put any information in my post that shouldn't be there.  I'll just put the Sims' names and the math that got me to my total for the next challenge.  I totally understand why you deleted that part!

Oops...sometimes, decimals aren't my thing ???.  I tried to do the math correctly --- although, it would have been wicked cool if that had been my score...lol.

My Sims were both home when the last bill came in.

Coolsim

Offline Minnie Mouse

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2017, 07:57:20 PM »
An exploit was just brought to the team's attention (thank you, reggikko), so this rule needed to be added:

Err... what happens if both sims aren't on the home lot when bills arrive...? ??? *scurries off to start up TS4*

Offline SeraNita

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2017, 11:40:17 AM »
I know it's rather late in the challenge, but I made up a spreadsheet to track my progress and figured you guys may want to utilize it for your own runs. Formatting is a bit wonky (it's not my forté) but it is calculating correctly from my tests. Link is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l0YqEUm9Mt4jJuF8kgZHuBuSlon730q6FsN_-E6Nvc4/edit?usp=sharing

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2017, 01:30:29 PM »
@SeraNita - thank you very much for the spreadsheet. I will add it to the rules.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2017, 12:54:25 PM »
IMPORTANT:

One thing I want to clarify given the team has had some questions on this...you CAN level up a money making skill ahead of time. In other words, say you want to sell paintings in the 3rd billing cycle. You can if you wish start painting in the 1st billing cycle (or 2nd). You would just not be able to sell any paintings until the 3rd billing cycle when painting was your designated money making skill.

I was reluctant to share this information because it is in the strategy ballpark, but it's important enough that it needed to be said -- some players may not have known that this was allowed.

So -- with this info if you have already gotten into the challenge and would have approached your scoring file differently, then feel free to restart.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2017, 09:31:09 PM »
I removed the spreadsheet since someone reported the multiplier is doubling things. SeraNita hopefully you can fix it and give me a link again. Thanks.

Offline SeraNita

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2017, 09:56:22 AM »
@Metropolis Man Could you please provide an example so I know where to look? I'm not having any issues at current.

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2017, 11:27:22 AM »
@Metropolis Man Could you please provide an example so I know where to look? I'm not having any issues at current.

Seranita in my test run the multiplier was 2.4 instead of 1.4. I can send you a pm will a pic in a few minutes when I get back to my computer

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2017, 11:35:20 AM »

Seranita in my test run the multiplier was 2.4 instead of 1.4. I can send you a pm will a pic in a few minutes when I get back to my computer

Don't forget everyone starts with 1.00. Maybe that's the issue?

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2017, 11:38:07 AM »

Let me double check that then metro. Like I said, I just got back from vacation so my mind is still in Florida some where.

EDIT: @Metropolis Man @SeraNita  My apologies. I need another vacation to recover. I forgot about the 1.00 multiplier to start out with. So glad I haven't started my official run yet.  :o Gonna go back to bed now. But first I'm gonna go stand in a corner. 

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2017, 12:00:31 PM »

Let me double check that then metro. Like I said, I just got back from vacation so my mind is still in Florida some where.

EDIT: @Metropolis Man @SeraNita  My apologies. I need another vacation to recover. I forgot about the 1.00 multiplier to start out with. So glad I haven't started my official run yet.  :o Gonna go back to bed now. But first I'm gonna go stand in a corner. 

No worries. Better safe than sorry.

Offline SeraNita

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2017, 12:18:41 PM »
Spreadsheet is here. I made a couple of optimizations while I was in there as well. As for the base multiplier of 1, it's so the decimals multiply correctly otherwise it'd be much like dividing your score, and none of us want that. :)

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2017, 01:04:57 PM »
Spreadsheet is here. I made a couple of optimizations while I was in there as well. As for the base multiplier of 1, it's so the decimals multiply correctly otherwise it'd be much like dividing your score, and none of us want that. :)

Thank you SeraNita, That works good. My brain likes. :) Like I said, I'm gonna go off and get some more sleep now.

Thanks Shannon

Offline TanGuob

• Nooboo
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2017, 12:03:55 PM »
First time doing a challenge this year:

My brother and sister team got the following

Bill #1-520
Bill #2 - 656
Bill #3 - 999
Bill #4 - 1,335

My four bills added up to 3,510
My two Sims maxed 13 their money making skills.
Therefore, my multiplier was 2.30.
So, my final score is 3,510 X 2.30 = 8,073 total
I hope my math is correct!

That was so much fun! I can't wait to see what the winning strategy will be.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2017, 02:07:59 PM »
It's great to see a new face participating in the challenges. Welcome, @TanGuob. :)

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2017, 03:43:25 PM »
It's great to see a new face participating in the challenges. Welcome, @TanGuob. :)

EDIT: By the way - I need to amend your score -- if you were confused by the rules, my apologies in advance. This event is a bit more complicated than others, but the most a player can claim as far as capped money-making skills is 8 -- 2 per Sim per billing period (4 billing periods). So, I will post your score with that change.

@Metropolis Man

Now I'm confused. If two sims can max a total of 2 skills each per billing period, That would be 4 skills each billing period maxed. At the end of those four weeks for a total of 16 skills. less is they didn't max one or two.

So it is possible to get a 2.3 multiplier. According to the spreadsheet. 

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2017, 04:06:18 PM »
Yes, my bad. SEE!? Now it's my turn to stand in the corner. Lol.

I removed my braindead comments above. Hehe.

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2017, 04:24:13 PM »
Yes, my bad. SEE!? Now it's my turn to stand in the corner. Lol.

I removed my braindead comments above. Hehe.

*hands Ice cream cone* it's okay, i understand.

Offline SeraNita

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2017, 10:06:56 AM »
Me spreadsheet work good 'cause me triple-read rules to make. :D

Offline Isabelalabe

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2017, 10:33:52 AM »
I feel a bit rush with this one. Really pushing to finish it in time :)

Bill #1-1,699
Bill #2 - 21,722
Bill #3 - 22,371
Bill #4 - 34,418

And they maxed 12 money making skills

So... I think the score is 80,210 x 2.2 = 176,462 , right?

Offline Isabelalabe

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2017, 10:35:44 AM »
Now I just realize that the challenge ends in July! I though it was 30  June  :-[

Offline SeraNita

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2017, 11:07:43 AM »
My math is reading the same as yours. Those are some pretty impressive bills too. I am also guilty of misreading the challenge end date as June rather than July.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2017, 11:10:06 AM »

Yep. I double checked your score. Nice job, by the way. Those were some big bills. :)

Offline simfulicious

• Watcher
  • Origin ID: petunia302007
    • Stories By Simfulicious
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2017, 05:24:02 PM »

Yep. I doubled checked your score. Nice job, by the way. Those were some big bills. :)

haha!  The only time anyone will EVER want to get high bills!

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2017, 08:45:56 PM »
Another down. Time to get caught up on my stories now.

Bill #1 - §985
Bill #2 - §6754
Bill #3 - $8905
Bill #4 - §12,387

Total = §29,031

Skills maxed = 14 = 2.4

§58,662 x 2.4 = 70,394

Offline Isabelalabe

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2017, 09:51:30 AM »
Thanks Serenita and Metropolis Man.

My math is reading the same as yours. Those are some pretty impressive bills too. I am also guilty of misreading the challenge end date as June rather than July.

I know, right? Somehow it should end either on 31 July or 30 June, not 30 July.. haha  ;D

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2017, 10:36:38 AM »
Thanks Serenita and Metropolis Man.

I know, right? Somehow it should end either on 31 July or 30 June, not 30 July.. haha  ;D

Yeah, challenges always end on a Sunday, so that typically does not line up with the last day in a month.

Offline SeraNita

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2017, 11:38:24 PM »
After a ridiculous amount of time spent on this only to get a mediocre score in comparison, my Sims finished the challenge just as one was receiving the notification of their closely impending doom (poor guy).

Bill 1:§480
Bill 2:§526
Bill 3:§588
Bill 4:§656
Total Bills:§2,250

Skills Maxed: 6
Multiplier: 1.6

Total Score:3,600

Offline CynKuy

• Occult
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2017, 03:44:32 PM »
My Sims got bills of:

Bill # 1:  513
Bill # 2: 1016
Bill # 3: 2442
Bill # 4: 2827

Maxed 8 skills
Total of 6798  X  1.8 = 12236.
Cynthia

Offline Eighty8Keys

• Townie
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2017, 02:35:55 PM »
Bill #1: 669
Bill #2: 7,153
Bill #3: 13,092
Bill #4: 25,867
Total Bills: 46,781

Maxed 7 skills
Total: 46,781 x 1.7 = 79,527

Offline Ginj

• Occult
  • There's a dance in the old dame yet
    • Desjardins Story - A Sims 4 Legacy Challenge
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2017, 09:40:13 PM »
Jack and Jill Skillman faced their last bills with these numbers:

Bill 1:  2332 all skills maxed
Bill 2:  3615 all skills maxed
Bill 3:  4087  all skills maxed
Bill 4:  13438 all skills maxed

giving:  23472 all skills maxed
= 23472 * 2.6 = 61,027

Wonderful challenge; shoutouts to the team!

-

Offline Whimsical Peanut

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2017, 06:47:06 AM »
Can someone share how many real life hours it takes to finish this one?
I have a crazy quarter end at work and been doing a lot of overtime so just wanted to see if I have time to get this one done over the weekend.

Cheers,
WP

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2017, 08:02:14 AM »
Can someone share how many real life hours it takes to finish this one?
I have a crazy quarter end at work and been doing a lot of overtime so just wanted to see if I have time to get this one done over the weekend.

Cheers,
WP

Tough call because everyone has different basic skills in their efficiency. The best players can get more done in less real time simply because they know what to do. But, in this event you're playing a little more than 4 Sim weeks (I am soooo glad the team is going with Short life span this year). You most definitely can knock it out over a weekend. Good luck! :)

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2017, 05:48:19 AM »
Just a reminder that this challenge ends this coming Sunday, so please get those scores in. Good luck to everyone finishing up. :)

Offline Ginj

• Occult
  • There's a dance in the old dame yet
    • Desjardins Story - A Sims 4 Legacy Challenge
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2017, 06:47:21 AM »
Metropolis Man, could you please add my score to the list?  Thanks!

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2017, 09:40:25 AM »
So sorry, Ginj - gotcha covered.

Offline WriterJunkie

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2017, 04:21:09 PM »
Bill #1 $427
Bill #2 $1133
Bill #3 $3190
Bill #4 $7330

Maxed Skills: 5 (her) + 4 (Him) = 9
Multiplier: 1.90

Bills: 12080 x 1.90 = 22952

Hope I worked that right.

Offline Whimsical Peanut

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2017, 04:41:09 PM »
Worked this weekend but managed to finish the challenge  ;D

Bill #1 - §1,789
Bill #2 - §2,410
Bill #3 - $5,028
Bill #4 - §10,308

Total = §19,535

Skills maxed = 14 = 2.4

§19,535 x 2.4 = 46,884

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2017, 04:56:28 PM »
Been very busy the last 3 days -- sorry if I have not responded to PMs, but real life took priority. Finished up my effort in this one...

Bill #1 - 1819
Bill #2 - 2537
Bill #3 - 6024
Bill #4 - 13058

Maxed skills - 9. Multiplier = 1.90

23438 X 1.90 = 44532

Offline LenaLJ

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Challenge Board Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2017, 05:19:36 PM »
My bills and skills ended up like this.

14 skill maxed = 2.6 multiplier

Bill 1: 2431
Bill 2: 10985
Bill 3: 20784
Bill 4: 27965
=62165

Total Score = 161629

Offline lesleyj42

• Townie
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2017, 08:03:46 PM »
My sims have made it to the fourth and final bill...

Bill 1: $6,015
Bill 2: $18,881
Bill 3: $36,014
Bill 4: $58,858

15 unique skills maxed during designated week

$119,768 x 2.5 = 299,420

Thanks for another fun challenge!

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2017, 12:44:27 AM »
Vacation last week and an unexpected visit to the ER today - this was really close - wasn't sure I'd get finished, but ran full speed through the last 3 sim days and barely made it!

Bills 1:  $23,144
Bills 2:  $36,368
Bills 3:  $37,758
Bills 4:  $47,137

Total Bills:  $144,407

Money-making skills maxed:  16
Multiplier:  2.6
Final Total:  $375,458

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2017, 06:14:48 AM »
This event is now closed. Thanks to all participants, and a special tip of the hat to GlazeyLady for a nice win. Everyone is now free to discuss strategy.

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2017, 02:19:04 PM »
Thank you for another great challenge! 
I was down to the wire getting this one finished. I actually had to end my club meeting the second to the last day, tire out my sims and get them to sleep as much as possible so the game would go on super-fast to get me that last bill before the midnight deadline.   ;D

Basic Strategy:
  • Had 1 primary money-maker for each sim for each billing period.  This was to spread the big money-makers out so more time could be spent on them.
  • Maxed all skills for the multiplier.
  • Used clubs for Rally the Troops and Painting.  I didn't think of the painting until the middle of the second billing cycle, when painting was a club activity and club members rushed to the easel every time my sim wasn't painting.  So I placed a bunch of easels, removed other activities as club activities.  With Home Studio as a lot trait and a club boost to painting, eveyrone had high skill quickly and painted excellent and masterpiece works.  They couldn't be sold, but were placed on the property to boost lot value and bills.
Skills by Billing period:
  • Period 1
    • Sim 1
      • Primary-Writing (Used in first billing cycle to maximize overall royalties).
      • Secondary-Charisma (Ask for loans).
    • Sim 2
      • Primary-Photography - such a pain! So much micro-management; this cycle took more real time than the other 3 put together.  But so much money to be made!  Completed Fabulously Wealthy and Mansion Baron in the first week.  Spent the money on stuff to boost lot value.
      • Secondary-Mixology - made a lot of Prose and Props.
  • Period 2
    • Sim 1
      • Primary-Woodworking - Camp Mascots mostly-big money-maker.
      • Secondary-Comedy - wasn't part of the original plan, but the Wishing Well maxed it for me.
    • Sim 2
      • Primary - Painting
      • Secondary - Piano - Wishing well gave first 3 levels; no tips, licensed 1 song for royalties.
  • Period 3
    • Sim 1
      • Fishing and Video Gaming - no primary in this period; got a little money from each.
      • Continued making Camp Mascots once the skills were maxed - couldn't sell them, but they looked great lined up on the lawn boosting lot value.
    • Sim 2
      • Primary - Gardening.  Started this in previous period, spliced plants to get cowberries growing.  They are only worth $20 or so as berries, but immediately after planting they can be sold for $475, and while in the ground they boost lot value.
      • Secondary-Violin.  No tips, licensed 1 song for royalties.
  • Period 4
    • Sim 1
      • Primary-Logic. I'd planned on gathering crystals and fossils and getting microscope prints, but I was running out of time and needed to stay on fast speed, so I just threw him in the telescope and left him there as long as possible.
      • Secondary-Guitar.  Wishing well gave first 3 levels. No tips, licensed 1 song.
    • Sim 2
      • Rocket Science and Programming - no primary; got a little money from each.
      • Once the skills were maxed, this sim painted and used the paintings to boost lot value since they couldn't be sold.

About the bill calculation - I found this post:

If I got the tuning and script files correctly:

- Bills are supposed to be delivered Monday, 5am, every week.
- Bills are a percentage of the billable household value, defined as the value of the furnished lot, plus everything in the household inventory and everything in the inventory of every household sim; it explicitly excludes the household funds. The percentage is 2% for the first §20K of value, then 3% for what exceeds that up to §30K, then 3.5% to §50K, and 5% of anything above that.
(As an example, a §100K value household will pay 2% of the first §20K, then 3% of the next §10K, 3.5% of the next §20K, and 5% of the remaining §50K, for a grand total of §3900.)
- The Frugal trait reduces the bills by 25%.
- If the bill goes unpaid the sim gets the electricity turned off, and then the water turned off, apparently with 48 hours between cutting the electricity and the water.

My final lot value was $1,121,110, my home inventory held $216,550, and personal inventories held $2802.  Based on the formula quoted, my billable household value was $1,340,462 so my final bill would have been $65,923, but it was only $47,137.  So maybe that formula isn't correct, or it has been changed (it's from 2014 and I was thinking there was a bill reduction change but googled it and couldn't find anything). I'm also wondering if it's a possibility that some of the items contributing to lot value don't get included in the bill calculation - maybe all those great paintings the club members painted for me? 

I don't know - but if anyone else has more insight into how the bills are calculated, please share!

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2017, 02:24:51 PM »
Congratulations GlazeyLady!  Great strategy 8).

Offline Whimsical Peanut

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2017, 08:58:06 PM »
I found something else... the bills came at about 10 AM each Monday except once when it came at 12 ...
And great strategy indeed GlazeyLady  ;D

Offline lesleyj42

• Townie
« Reply #82 on: July 31, 2017, 10:23:41 PM »
Congrats to GlazeyLady for the win! My strategy was very similar.

Sim A money making skills:
Wk 1: singing and piano
Wk 2: fishing and programming
Wk 3: handiness and DJ mixing
Wk 4: gardening and guitar

Sim B money making skills:
Wk 1: writing and violin
Wk 2: mixology and video gaming
Wk 3: charisma and logic
Wk 4: painting and photography

First and foremost, my sims needed to get the lot/inventory value as high as possible to increase the bills. Painting is the best way I've found to add value without a career or retail store. Both my sims painted (sim A never sold any of hers) and to boost the painting values both sims also had the marketable and creative visionary traits. This was the only skill I didn't max in the designated week because it was maxed long before week 4.

I also split the skills that would bring in most of the money between the four weeks with the biggest money makers in the final two to cover the last two bills. In my playthrough, writing carried week 1 for the same reason Glazey mentioned, mixology/residual royalties covered week 2, handiness/charisma/residual royalties carried week 3, and painting covered week  4.

Once my sims had made enough money with their designated skills for the week (and maxed them in the process), they painted (storing finished paintings in their personal inventories) until the bills were delivered.

I used a club to manage needs and provide skill/moodlet boosts. I never moved, and I didn't use the wishing well (I really should play test with it one of these days).

Thanks again to the challenge team  :D

anything