Author Topic: Sims disappears when I travel  (Read 45209 times)

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
Re: Sims dissapears when I travel
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2011, 03:57:34 PM »
The two major bugs I was talking about - there's one where you send the sims to travel normally, but when the destination arrives there's no sims to control and parts of the interface are blue instead of green, which can be "fixed" by switching households for a moment in Edit Town before you travel (not a perfect solution because you lose promised wishes, but at least you can travel). There's another one where you travel normally, but when you come back, one or more of the sims is missing and instead of the missing sim's portrait on the left side of the screen there's just a plain green box, which had no known fix or workaround.

I am speaking of the first bug. :)

Offline makeupinternet

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2011, 04:11:30 PM »
If they just went invisible - can you still control them? You'll see plates of food floating through the air, the shower working by itself, lumps in the bed covers with no sim under them, etc. When I've had a sim that was invisible but still controllable, sometimes the problem could be fixed by waiting a while, and then using the "resetsim" cheat.

The two major bugs I was talking about - there's one where you send the sims to travel normally, but when the destination arrives there's no sims to control and parts of the interface are blue instead of green, which can be "fixed" by switching households for a moment in Edit Town before you travel (not a perfect solution because you lose promised wishes, but at least you can travel). There's another one where you travel normally, but when you come back, one or more of the sims is missing and instead of the missing sim's portrait on the left side of the screen there's just a plain green box, which had no known fix or workaround.

I suffered from the first bug - I could still control them, see floating plates etc. However, I have also suffered from the problem with my sims face disappearing from the green box on the left, but that was before I even installed world adventures so it had nothing to do with traveling, at least not in my case.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2011, 04:48:33 PM »
I suffered from the first bug - I could still control them, see floating plates etc. However, I have also suffered from the problem with my sims face disappearing from the green box on the left, but that was before I even installed world adventures so it had nothing to do with traveling, at least not in my case.

Oh, I was speaking of the first bug in the second paragraph - the everything is gone and your sims basically don't exist bug. xD

Sparky

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 04:47:26 PM »
Oh, I was speaking of the first bug in the second paragraph - the everything is gone and your sims basically don't exist bug. xD

I had that happen to me a couple days ago on my return trip to France. No one arrived.  I reloaded and despite what country I went to it was still bugged.  I looked online and found a couple possible solutions (they worked for me)

Before your vacation:

Empty your Family Inventory (I still had the wine maker I bought on my first trip. I placed it in my house to empty out the inventory.)

Did you bring a teen/child with you on your vacation? I read somewhere that if a teen's homework isn't at level 5 (homework complete? I'm not sure what level 5 homework means) then when you go on vacation the game tries to reconcile it and it can hang. I've never encountered this before for any child though. (In fact I've tried to do homework on vacation to save time. Won't let you. Sigh) but in this specific case I did have a teen with unfinished homework. I delayed the start of my vacation until she had finished it.

After doing those 2 things I went to France and voila. Problem solved.  I don't know if it was either or both that did it but that seemed to work.  Granted the game has crashed twice in France so I can't guarantee that the bugs are all gone, but at least I'm able to go.

As for the "I can't go home because it just keeps reloading the vacation world and seems to think this is my home town now" bug, I've noticed that it only does it to me when I have an NPC that married into the family with me. If I leave her home it doesn't happen. Coincidence? Maybe. But I have no other idea for why it happens.

Offline twallan

• Townie
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 04:43:57 PM »
Yes, unfortunately, this is a known bug in World Adventures.  There's no real solution for it.  You just need to exit the game without saving and load it from a previous save.  It may or may not happen to your again.  There's no pattern to it.

Yes, the problem is the sheer number of issues that cause the transition to fail is so vast, that it is highly unlikely that EA will ever be able to correct all of them (or stop adding new ones with each Pack).

There are third-party solutions to this issue, if one is amiable to such things.

when the destination arrives there's no sims to control and parts of the interface are blue instead of green, which can be "fixed" by switching households for a moment in Edit Town before you travel (not a perfect solution because you lose promised wishes, but at least you can travel).

When you do this, you are resetting your sim's dreams and opportunities managers.

Those two systems are fraught with import/export related issues, and will quite often bounce the transition process.  So resetting them clears any corruption related issues allowing you to travel.

Unfortunately, if your transition problem is not related to those two systems, then switching households will not resolve the problem...  But it is certainly a reasonable first step to correct the error.

Did you bring a teen/child with you on your vacation? I read somewhere that if a teen's homework isn't at level 5 (homework complete? I'm not sure what level 5 homework means) then when you go on vacation the game tries to reconcile it and it can hang.

You are correct.  EA Standard will force any traveling teenager up to Level 5 of the hidden Homework skill.

In doing so, there is a possibility of the game bouncing, and stopping the transition process.

This is normally only an issue with sims that were created as teenagers, since reaching level 5 is usually achieved during the child age-stage.

:)

(edit: reset -> resetting)
NRaas Industries.  Saving Sims games from becoming doorstops since 2009.

Forum Rules

Chuckles_82

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 06:15:54 PM »
Thankyou for the detailed information twallan :) And welcome to the forum! I have to ask, are you the twallan? Your posts do seem to be very well informed - so I just have to know!

Offline cndneh

• Watcher
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2012, 10:01:08 PM »
Thankyou for the detailed information twallan :) And welcome to the forum! I have to ask, are you the twallan? Your posts do seem to be very well informed - so I just have to know!

I don't think anyone else would have the nerve to use that user name except for the twallan!

welcome to the forums!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline twallan

• Townie
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2012, 03:37:30 AM »
are you the twallan?

You should never take my word for it, since if I was indeed impersonating "twallan", I would obviously not state that I was doing such.

If you require true verification of my identity on this forum, you can refer to the home page of my hosting site, under "About The Creator".

Cheers. :)

Forum Rules

Chuckles_82

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2012, 03:57:06 AM »
It's not required, I was just a little awed and excited that we might have the real twallan. Of course I would need some evidence before I believed it, I'd never just take anyone's word for it :P But as I said, your posts did seem well informed, so it was a good start ;) It would be good to have another one of the best Simmers brains to pick :D

almiconto

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2012, 04:42:00 PM »
I had this bug for the first time today. Tried suggested fixes but they did nothing for me.

So out of the curiosity I quitted the game and deleted travel files from the save (package and nhd), in my case they were Egyptsomething... Loaded the game, loaded the save and ta-da, my sim can travel again! All my travel stats were there, visa level fine, I couldn't check if my adventure would have be continued as well cause I've cancelled it while trying to fix the bug, but I think it would have.

Hope that will help someone else. =))

PS: I suggest backing up the save just in case before deleting

Offline twallan

• Townie
Re: Sims disappears when I travel
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2012, 06:12:05 PM »
So out of the curiosity I quitted the game and deleted travel files from the save (package and nhd), in my case they were Egyptsomething... Loaded the game, loaded the save and ta-da, my sim can travel again!

One should be advised that doing such can cause some minor long-term relationship corruption, if any of your foreign friends existed in the previous copy of Egypt, but no longer exist in the new copy.

However, what you did is the suggested method of resetting tombs back to their original states so you can do them over again.  I have done such several times for my legacy family.

Forum Rules

Offline Phoenix

• Nooboo
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2012, 11:07:42 PM »
One should be advised that doing such can cause some minor long-term relationship corruption, if any of your foreign friends existed in the previous copy of Egypt, but no longer exist in the new copy.

However, what you did is the suggested method of resetting tombs back to their original states so you can do them over again.  I have done such several times for my legacy family.

Does ErrorTrap fix that kind of corruption?

Offline twallan

• Townie
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2012, 02:37:02 PM »
   Does ErrorTrap fix that kind of corruption?

[Overwatch] may also be necessary to handle that sort of thing.

A combination of the two mods though should be sufficient. :)

Forum Rules

Offline Phoenix

• Nooboo
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2012, 11:41:18 PM »
Cool, I have both of those mods.   ;D

Thank you.

Miss_Judged

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2012, 03:46:45 PM »
G'day

sorry to re-open, but I was just wondering if anyone having this problem had experienced prior an error with something similar to (ive tried to block it from my mind it frustrated me so much) "serious error occurred loading <town.sims3>, it is strongly recommended you restart the application".

it was recommended to copy the meta files from world adventures into the town folder or the like... just wondering if this caused issues with my WA and if anyone did the same thing and it has caused some bollocks?

anyway hope everyone finds a fix for this?